• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Implementing VRS isn't an apples to apples comparison on TF increase By the same way that DLSS doesn't actually give you 60-80% in pixel performance. With VRS you are giving up some things.

I made no mention of VRS, just AMD's claims that how RDNA2 operates will result in a 50% performance increase based on how instructions are executed on this particular architecture vs GCN.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Even if it is $100 to physically buy that component

You've got $200 to cover all of the other components, shipping, manufacture and retailer margin.
$299 for retail is an extreme lowball figure, that seems totally unrealistic. I'm happy to be proven wrong!

The Ps4 was estimated to cost $380 to make when it was being sold at $400, but a chunk of the components in the newxt gen machines are not subject to the moore's law rules of power (and thus cost reduction) , so you do need to consider there is some kind of baseline cost to make a consumer box, almost regardless of the specs.

I have to imagine that the XSS will come with a smaller SSD. And they'll lean heavily on the use of a cheap external traditional HDD to store games you're not actively playing.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Same CPU, SSD and less powerful GPU wouldnt "limit" game design and wouldnt be hard to optimize. PC devs are used to this and the MS dev tools are being made to build scaleable games.

this Needs to be repeated.
I know there is a lot of people who will just use anything to fight the "war" but there isn't anything about this that will hold anything back.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What exclusive games will be coming out for Lockhart in the first 2 years of its existence, that someone with an Xbox One won't be able to play?
What multiplat games that come out will? What multiplat games that come out for the first few years be able to be played on the PS4?

Lockhart will be an affordable entry to next gen, something that PlayStation doesn't have.

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
If someone owns an LG 34WK650-W would they notice a difference between the S Lockhart and the standard Xbox Series X?

Looking forward to the limited ray tracing vs ray tracing argument.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Also 4 RDNA TFLOPS is around 10 GCN TFLOPS.

I'd say 4Tflops RDNA2 would sit between 6-7 Tflops gcn, which by pairing them with much a more powerful cpu and super fast ssd would make the One X completely obsolete, since those 6-7 tflops have way resources available at 1080p against the aim for 4k of the One X

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine YEARS from now developers are still going to be required to have their games compatible with this console, yikes

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Same CPU, SSD and less powerful GPU wouldnt "limit" game design and wouldnt be hard to optimize. PC devs are used to this and the MS dev tools are being made to build scaleable games.

Would CPU clock speeds matter in terms of game design? My one concern with Series S would be slower CPU clocks due to the lack of a more expensive cooling solution.

For example, if Series S CPU clocks are, say, running at 3.1 GHz with SMT and 3.4 GHz without (compared with 3.66 GHZ and 3.8 GHZ on the Series X respectively), would that be significant enough to affect some parameters involving game design and logic?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
No way XSX is $599, I just cant fathom any platform going that route even if they have a cheap box to push next to it

The games releasing holiday 2021 or beyond. The interview was at X019 and published in 2020. But Booty talked in 2019 about supporting Xbox One for 1-2 years.

Yes but again why would he be saying that MS doesnt plan on releasing any XSX exclusive games in 2019? The only logical assumption is that, if his statement reflects their plan, that there wont be any next gen exclusives until AT LEAST holiday 2021

Last edited:

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
The RT part of that is just speculation, but I am not expecting the same level on a $300 box. It will be interesting if they just stop producing all of the One S and X consoles for these, as this might help the transition to next-gen go faster. Kind of like when they transitioned from the VCR Xbox One to the S. If that happens then I wonder if they do the 2 SKU approach again 4 years.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
It's not nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be lol. Like increasing the number of rays cast on account of more powerful hardware really isn't that difficult. The series S won't hold back Series X much at all.

And no, the Series S isn't weaker than the Xbox One X, like where do the lot of you get this shit from lol jfc.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
lso, if I'm honest even though I am well aware that TFs are not a valid measure of power capabilities, it makes me think that the Series S(4TF) is not that much more capable than a Xbox One X (6TF). The middle ground is very blurry from where I'm standing.

Halo Infinite
Series X: 4K60 /HDR 10 / Ray-Tracing
Xbox One X 4K30/ HDR 10

If this is accurate ( ...and it prolly aint) where does the Series S fit?
If Halo Infinite is CPU bound on Xbox One X lockhart and Series X will run with more FPS.
What exclusive games will be coming out for Lockhart in the first 2 years of its existence, that someone with an Xbox One won't be able to play?
The games releasing holiday 2021 or beyond. The interview was at X019 and published in 2020. But Booty talked in 2019 about supporting Xbox One for 1-2 years.
this Needs to be repeated.
I know there is a lot of people who will just use anything to fight the "war" but there isn't anything about this that will hold anything back.
The post of the developer should be threadmarked.

Last edited:

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be lol. Like increasing the number of rays cast on account of more powerful hardware really isn't that difficult. The series S won't hold back Series X much at all.

And no, the Series S isn't weaker than the Xbox One X, like where do the lot of you get this shit from lol jfc.
People like to concern troll when it comes to Microsoft sadly.

You have literal devs coming in saying it won't be much of a big deal as scalability has been a thing on PCs for decades and they are use to it.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is interested in the BC program from Microsoft, I would prefer get this than the already revealed Xbox One Series X. And even lower resolution, I could still play new gen games.

Hope it has a disc tho, but I can see it 100% digital too.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
It absolutely needs a disc drive. That's a non starter for people with slow internet and low income consumers. The whole point of LH is it is a lower cost of entry. That same demographic is much more sensitive to game prices and will not be thrilled that they can't gift/buy used games. We're in an depression that may last 2-3 years, removing a $25 part at such a great cost to literally the target demo of the model would be such a bad move imo

I think you're vastly overestimating the used game market and disc sharing.

In a recession, people will play more F2P games rather than relying on sharing physical discs or buying used games online. I feel like almost nobody who is still in school these days still relies on the used game market. I think the people who still do that tend to be people whose formative video game years were the PS360 era. The very biggest, most important games for kids these days are digital-only anyways.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think you're vastly overestimating the used game market and disc sharing.

In a recession, people will play more F2P games rather than relying on sharing physical discs or buying used games online. I feel like almost nobody who is still in school these days still relies on the used game market. I think the people who still do that tend to be people whose formative video game years were the PS360 era. The very biggest, most important games for kids these days are digital-only anyways.
I know lots of people who are swapping games, or buying used games for cheap.
In a recession being able to sell and buy used is huge.

I mean yeah, you can buy a game for $20 on sale, or you buy it used for $20 and then resell it for $20 bucks and game for free.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
This needs to be repeated more for the sony fanboys that think lockhart will be holding back the XSX. Honestly i have had enough of fanboy spouting nonsense.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Good luck optimizing your games to 4 and 12 TF consoles simultaneously and for the next 7 years.
Pretty much. I read that and was like "are you effing kidding me?" There's no reason to have to do this. I swear to god if this is at all true they're going to have problems with people buying a Lockhart and then wonder why it doesn't look like they were told because they can't tell the difference at a glance on the shelf or in a listing. More than one SKU for a console launch is already not the best, but it being a performance difference is going to bite them in the ass if this isn't a well-planned move to try and make up loss differences with the XSX.

Also, good on them making a headset worth a damn that's not wired. That Xbox Stereo Headset was ridiculously overpriced for its performance and features. The build quality was also kind of shit.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Would CPU clock speeds matter in terms of game design? My one concern with Series S would be slower CPU clocks due to the lack of a more expensive cooling solution.

For example, if Series S CPU clocks are, say, running at 3.1 GHz with SMT and 3.4 GHz without (compared with 3.66 GHZ and 3.8 GHZ on the Series X respectively), would that be significant enough to affect some parameters involving game design and logic?

It might but again depends on everything else. Is the SSD the same ? Is the memory bandwidth the same ?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
If you think the "4TF" number magically means it's "weaker" than Xbox One X, you probably need a crash course on hardware performance.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much. I read that and was like "are you effing kidding me?" There's no reason to have to do this. I swear to god if this is at all true they're going to have problems with people buying a Lockhart and then wonder why it doesn't look like they were told because they can't tell the difference at a glance on the shelf or in a listing. More than one SKU for a console launch is already not the best, but it being a performance difference is going to bite them in the ass if this isn't a well-planned move to try and make up loss differences with the XSX.

Also, good on them making a headset worth a damn that's not wired. That Xbox Stereo Headset was ridiculously overpriced for its performance and features. The build quality was also kind of shit.
It depends on the marketing. I'm sure Microsoft will make it clear that the more expensive one runs it better. That and if someone can't even tell that a more expensive device will make things look better they probably aren't going to notice the difference that much anyways.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. They can give up on the console space if they come out at $600 to compete with PS5.
Yea $600 USD means $800 in CAD before taxes, which is a ridiculous amount to spend when their games will be on PC as well. I would just buy a PS5 and be done with it, I can play Halo Infinite on the PC no problem.

What a fucking joke if they target $599. It doesn't matter if they have Lockhart undercutting the PS5, it's massively behind the PS5 in performance.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
After reading only 4 pages of this, the only thing I'm confident about is that MS has to be VERY clear about how this doesn't "hold back" anything. Show third party examples. Explain the tech thoroughly. Have a DF deep dive.

Last edited:

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Good luck optimizing your games to 4 and 12 TF consoles simultaneously and for the next 7 years.

Xbone to XoneX was a > 4.5 gap in performance with a different (a waaaaaay crapppier) architecture (DDR3 + ESRAM vs GDDR5).

This time the gap is a 3 times gap with the same architecture. I think devs will be a-ok

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
After 4 pages of this the only thing I'm confident about is that MS has to be VERY clear about how this doesn't "hold back" anything. Show third party examples. Explain the tech thoroughly. Have a DF deep dive.

Yeah pretty much. I am sure they have things planned. Its hard to extrapolate a lot from just its a 4 TFOPS machine. :)

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
4 is a smaller number than 6. Easy mistake to make. Show games running on it and that talk will die down.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a developer consensus on Lockhart?

The early noises from Digital Foundry/Schreier were not great. Has the spec improved? IIRC there was a rumoured memory difference, which I think most would probably welcome if removed. Or will developer opinion on it simply vary?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Are TF all we compare hardware with? What about CPU, RAM, SSD? An developer already said game design won't be bottlenecked.
No, I'm actually looking at the feature sets. TF measurements haven't meant anything to me pretty much ever, just like the "bitness" of a console never mattered to me as a kid. The design won't be bottlenecked, sure, but not having certain features available will affect performance with certain acceleration features. If the OS is handling how a game is rendered before hitting hardware and then it spits out what it can, it will be helpful to the developers but there could end up being situations anyway where they didn't intend for a game targeted at the XSX will look notably different, not even just worse, on Lockhart. This isn't the PC space where the user turning things off is know to them (the user) and thus expected.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Xbone to XoneX was a > 4.5 gap in performance with a different (a waaaaaay crapppier) architecture (DDR3 + ESRAM vs GDDR5).

This time the gap is a 3 times gap with the same architecture. I think devs will be a-ok

Many people will unfortunately continue to not understand this. People see the 4TF number, because TF matter when it is convenient.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017

The fact this needs to be repeated on a gaming forum is a sad sight.

The first few pages of this thread are a disgrace to actual genuine discussion and not very obvious concern trolling from the usual at this point desperate suspects.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Are you aware of how the same game can be played on different spec PCs? What do you think happens if you take a 4K game and reduce the resolution to 1080p?

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
$499 would be a bold price for the XSX give the BOM.
Not that bold. Phil stated that they won't get beat on price and that he has the support of Nadella to do whatever he needs. With GPU as a viable revenue stream, I can see MS taking a hit per machine to push units. I think they have more flexibility with the Xbox business being one of many tent poles than Sony where PlayStation is their main revenue stream. Considering the global economic situation, and as recent rumors suggest, they're not in a good position to take in massive losses.

Both machines will be $499.