• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
What are the chances Lockhart can only stream next gen Series X games with Xcloud but it plays everything else natively?

For the record I do not believe this is the case at all but I was just thinking about it cause someone brought up that original leak that got so much right and claimed Lockhart was a 'streaming console'.

Oct 28, 2017
Taking in to account that the so called Xbox Series S will have a more modern chipset, even at 4 TF, I imagine this will be the equivalent of a Xbox One X with no disc drive, an SSD and more RAM.

The cost is where I am trying to figure this out at.

For an Xbox Series S to make sense in a world that still has the One X, it will have to be $200 less than the Series X but still more than a Xbox One X.

XSX. $549.99
XSS. $329.99
XBOX. $249.99

Its all very interesting indeed.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. That 1TB SSD is half of that.

A UHD Drive
GPU+CPU+Ram, casing , PSU, shipping,manufacture

299 seems like massively unreal expectations.
It's supposed to be digital only. Cut the UHD drive and you can build the system around that missing part, meaning a smaller case and overall lighter. Should be pretty small, and the rumor is that it's "flat", so most likely looking closer to a traditional console than the Series X tower.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
What are the chances Lockhart can only stream next gen Series X games with Xcloud but it plays everything else natively?

For the record I do not believe this is the case at all but I was just thinking about it cause someone brought up that original leak that got so much right and claimed Lockhart was a 'streaming console'.

Why wouldn't they just make an app for the Xbox One SAD then?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
If it is going to be a cheaper option, then it won't reach those theoretical peak power anyway since it will have some cut down components. Also now architecture matters all of a sudden for TF numbers huh??
XSX, PS5, and Lockhart (if it exists) all have the same gpu architecture. Xb1X is a current gen machine, you can't directly compare its TF# to next gen TF#s

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I think this is what bothers some folks even though PS5 will sell well too.
Both companies will be fine and everything will sell like crazy. The hardware is not the main differentiation this gen -- its the services.
PS+ needs and overhaul, and PSNow needs some sort of price bundling with it.
Gamepass Ultimate is just too amazing a bargain, especially for someone with even just a midrange pc / laptop.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Yep. That 1TB SSD is half of that.

A UHD Drive
GPU+CPU+Ram, casing , PSU, shipping,manufacture

299 seems like massively unreal expectations.
With it being disc less this is where if MS is in the mood for a gamble you can afford to take bigger loss margins - no discs means more money straight to them from digitise purchases which will average out a lot higher with gamepass also

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, and I bet your average Joe doesn't even know the word teraflop, but this idea of "Lockhart is less powerful than the One X" is rather widespread across forums / social media. They'll be stuck between downplaying Teraflops or confusing people about what Lockhart is (if it ends up being 4TF, that is).
Not really, the X will miss out on the majority of next gen games, and the Digital Foundry comparisons between titles on the 2 consoles will make the differences clear.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
People will buy lockhart the same reason many are just content with purchasing Xbox One or PS4 over One X or Pro respectively. They just want to play the games for all of next gen that is at an affordable price and maybe don't want to wait years for prices decreases. Same reason why many are content to just purchasing a 5500, 1060 or 2060 over 2080ti.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can we assume multiplatform and Xbox exclusive games will be held back? Lowest denominator, etc. bullshit.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Taking in to account that the so called Xbox Series S will have a more modern chipset, even at 4 TF, I imagine this will be the equivalent of a Xbox One X with no disc drive, an SSD and more RAM.

The cost is where I am trying to figure this out at.

For an Xbox Series S to make sense in a world that still has the One X, it will have to be $200 less than the Series X but still more than a Xbox One X.

XSX. $549.99
XSS. $329.99
XBOX. $249.99

Its all very interesting indeed.
Xbox One X is dead this year. MS have been putting it on sale for $299 multiple times this year, and won't even wait to ship the Cyberpunk bundle in September. There might be a few units left on shelves this holiday.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not too worried about the baseline. Go looK at PC, devs have been working with varying shit forever.

If what they are saying is true dropping from Series X which is 4k down to 1080p saves a lot of processing power, turn off ray tracing, saves a bunch of processing power and maybe if the games run 60fps locked drop down to 30. Honestly doesn't sound like a major deal at all

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Though the question is can you really get a next gen experience as you put it with just a 4TF machine when even One X is more powerful and with recent sales really cheap. Also let's not forget no true net gen exclusives for < 2years too.
Microsoft promised in 2019 to support Xbox One for 1-2 years. cross Gen ends holiday 2021 for XGS.

The Lockhart GPU is more modern and stronger than the Xbox One X GPU, because it's based on RDNA2.
So teraflops didn't matter when it became evident that the Series X is more powerful than PS5, but now we're suddenly worried about game development being held back by a console less powerful than PS5? Which is it? Because it's not both
made my day.
Zero. You wouldn't need an Zen 2 CPU, 4TF RDNA2 GPU, GDDR6 RAM and an SSD to make a streaming device.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
yeah that's my feeling on it too. I don't see Lockhart doing anything other than why does this exist?
I wouldn't want to be in there marketing department.
They haven't even shown games running on either console yet. People need to relax lol
It doesn't matter that they haven't shown it. It's 100% guaranteed lower spec machine than Series X. People know this will mean Xbox games are going to have to be nerfed so that it runs on this machine. Unless it's a cloud box.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
you would think that all these engineers that post on PS5 spec threads and talk about its SSD would know the 4TF the Series S would have != 6tf on the Xbox One X lmao

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
What games you think are going to be 4K 60fps with ray tracing if Minecraft with ray tracing runs at 30fps 1080p on Series X?
Minecraft RTX is fully path traced and features no traditional lighting which is an incredibly resource heavy solution to lighting. One we simply won't be seeing in the AAA space for at least a couple of years. Console RT will likely be much more similar to Metro Exodus/Control's implementation with specific elements being ray traced. Fucking wild how much misinformation is being spread around about this.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't directx12 ultimate introduce their own solution?
not a part of DX12U, no. they shown off DirectML, but they haven't shown live games running on it, just footage of a game being upscaled. and that ran on Nvidia gpus (which can use their tensor cores to accelerated DirectML). so there's a lot of unknowns for AMD

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It doesn't matter that they haven't shown it. It's 100% guaranteed lower spec machine than Series X. People know this will mean Xbox games are going to have to be nerfed so that it runs on this machine. Unless it's a cloud box.
Games will run worse on the Series S over Series X. Like others have said it could be something simple as a game going

Series X: 4k60, Ray tracing
Series S: 1080p30, no ray tracing

Doesn't at all mean games will run worse on Xbox as a whole.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we assume multiplatform and Xbox exclusive games will be held back? Lowest denominator, etc. bullshit.

No. Lockhart has been factored in to next gen from day one, as such it's architecture and specs would've been benchmarked with Series X, it should be able to keep up without encumbering SX with various ways to to scale.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
not a part of DX12U, no. they shown off DirectML, but they haven't shown live games running on it, just footage of a game being upscaled. and that ran on Nvidia gpus (which can use their tensor cores to accelerated DirectML). so there's a lot of unknowns for AMD
Ok Hmm I'm sure they're cooking up something hopefully

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
All of the people talking about TFs but I think it will be more interesting to see if it has a disc drive or not.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
There are lots of folks that won't even be able to afford lockhart version of next gen Xbox but the cool thing is MS is supporting Xbox One S and X for at least the first year of next gen with no exclusives so that those that want to play these upcoming games are not left out and gives them options to gradually transition into next gen. Its all about options with all these decisions and all the moves MS is making is stellar and firing on all cylinders.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

What do you think will be nerfed?
Minecraft RTX is fully path traced and features no traditional lighting which is an incredibly resource heavy solution to lighting. One we simply won't be seeing in the AAA space for at least a couple of years. Console RT will likely be much more similar to Metro Exodus/Control's implementation with specific elements being ray traced. Fucking wild how much misinformation is being spread around about this.
Not expecting path tracing we see in Minecraft recreated in big AAA games this gen. We need an PS6 and the successor to Series X for this.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There are lots of folks that won't even be able to afford lockhart version of next gen Xbox but the cool thing is MS is supporting Xbox One S and X for at least the first year of next gen with no exclusives so that those that want to play these upcoming games are not left out and gives them options to gradually transition into next gen. Its all about options with all these decisions and all the moves MS is making is stellar and firing on all cylinders.
Microsoft is learning from PC it seems. People have tons of options there, developers try and make games playable on as many levels as systems as possible which helps sales of software tons

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It has to be substantially cheaper than the PS5. $100 cheaper isn't going to justify the software & power difference.
Ps5 will probably be priced the same as the XSX. Lockhart will be significantly cheaper than both. Which is exactly what the specs suggest.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Games will run worse on the Series S over Series X. Like others have said it could be something simple as a game going

Series X: 4k60, Ray tracing
Series S: 1080p30, no ray tracing

Doesn't at all mean games will run worse on Xbox as a whole.
I'm not saying they will run worse and I'm not talking about frame rate and pixels. The game will have to designed for a simpler machine from the outset and therefore the design on the game will have to be scaled back

rumbling

Mar 22, 2018
If you guys missed the memo: MS is betting on streaming as a big part of their strategy. And I think the main reason for that is the potential of having us playing "xbox" on our phones/tablets at 1080p. And yes that potential is HUGE compared to 4k streaming to our tvs.

I think "Series S" must exist for this reason. It seams super inefficient to down sample Series X to a phone. Having games running at 1080p for a 1080p stream seams correct.

I do not think "Series S" will launch this year. Neither in server racks or to our homes. I suppose that Xbox One S will handle 1080p (or in reality lower then that) streaming for the first year or so and than be replaced with "Series S" for an official launch of Xcloud. I do not think it will be available for consumers before they can sell them VERY cheap - at earliest a few years from now. But I am just guessing.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I know that some people aren't thrilled but it's a great move by Microsoft. Easing the transition for everyone.