• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Lockhart and XSX are going to be competing for similar parts in manufacturing right? Seems like a dicey situation to release two skus this year given COVID-19.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
The question will be whether there is any reason on a 1080p TV to have the Series X
It'll probably work similarly to how it does with Xbox One X in that it'll still render at the same internal resolution and downsample it to support the resolution your TV can handle. As such, you'll probably get better image quality with Xbox Series X on a 1080p TV compared to Xbox Series S.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Xbox Series X is probably a lock at $499, how much do you think they can shave off the price for Series S?

$349 is as low as I can see it realistically going. Cutting your GPU, some RAM and the disc drive isn't going to save you $200.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I'm feeling antsy. Really can't wait to see the blowout for Series X and series s if true. The games, the features, the showcases, the spectacle of it all. Exciting times.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
I am assuming the Lockhart will become my bedroom console after a year or two, with a nice price drop. Day one for Series X.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Not everyone is obsessed with 4K. A cheap console that plays next gen games at 1080p (or even at 720p in some cases 😱) will sell like crazy.
Even if you look at this forum, the vast majority of PS4 players are running the Regular machine on a 1080p TV.

Microsoft will know what the actual stats are too based upon the 30million+ Xbox One's out in the wild

Steo

Sep 28, 2018
Dublin, Ireland.
I love reading through threads like this. It really shows up all the people that haven't a clue what they're talking about.

With all the stuff going on in the world at the minute & the financial constraints that some people will feel as this year develops - this entry level next generation console could be Microsoft's ace up the sleeve.

A lot of people may not be able to afford a $499 box this fall so a $299 box could well prove to be a stroke of genius on Microsoft's part.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear people here love to shit on real people who can't afford a prenium console but still wants to get into Console gaming.
That's not the conversation people are having. An affordable console option is all well and good, but would that console set the baseline and limit the potential or scope of games for the entire generation? That's the debate.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I wrote DLSS-like and not simply DLSS for a reason. Obviously an upscaling technique must cost less than native rendering. You should consider the possibility that a DLSS-like technique can give you a performance boost to your code even if you lack dedicated hw.
Yes dlss like feature would great but I don't think it would be built in to Lockhart. A future revision with such feature maybe a possibility.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
But that lays the problem, people think it will "undercut" the PS5 but they fail to realize that Sony'll market it as a true next-gen system that's massively more capable than the Lockheart while being noticeable cheaper than the Series X (I honestly don't believe the PS5 will be any higher than $500, let alone reaching the $600 death number).
Do you really expect the PS5 being noticeably cheaper and any console being sold for 600$? This doesn't make much sense and both companies talked about price before.
So 4TF navi would make it better or on par with 6TF xbox one x?
The GPU of Lockhart is better.
Sad that the specs for next gen are all over the place. Third party games are going to be greatly held back in a lot of ways because of the limitations.
What limitations? CPU and SSD are the game changer this gen and Lockhart has similar CPU and SSD to PS5 and Xbox Series X.
I agree, using current-gen games to make the case doesn't accomplish anything.

I've made this suggestion to the guys at DF a while back: take Star Citizen and run some benchmarks, then replace the GPU with one that's 3x weaker (while keeping everything else in the system exactly the same) and lower the resolution and nothing else, and see what happens. Until someone can prove that this scenario works in the real world, it's fantasy, imho. I'm dying to be proven wrong here. I want nothing more than to not worry about Lockhart kneecapping an entire generation for the next seven years.
Crysis was ahead of it's time and pushed graphics beyond anything we've seen. We got memes out of it and Crytek still could port an benchmarks PC game build with nothing except PC in mind to PS3 and 360.

Graphics scale and Lockhart will have everything to develop new level design and gameplay opportunity just like Series X and PS5. You will get the same experience with lower resolution, graphics and sometimes performance.
This testing isn't really relevant. They only used current-gen games. Should have used Star Citizen.
Star Citizen runs on an Radeon R9 290X.

Last edited:

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It's clear people here love to shit on real people who can't afford a prenium console but still wants to get into Console gaming.

I don't think I've seen a single person who is arguing against a cheaper console in light of Series X being a costly behemoth. People just want it to be beefier or at least beefy enough to make sense as a standalone gaming platform in 2025 or 2026.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Xbox Series X is probably a lock at $499, how much do you think they can shave off the price for Series S?

$349 is as low as I can see it realistically going. Cutting your GPU, some RAM and the disc drive isn't going to save you $200.
$350 is definitely the sweet spot. Any higher and it'd be better to just get the better one, while any lower would probably mean taking a big loss.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017

The initial rumors from over a year ago (which have been right so far), suggested the price for it will be $249 (I think) and $499 for the X.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I heard from a previous tech talk that less cu at higher frequency is actually more powerful so I think I'll get the S instead of the X now!
Only if you don't brute force power with no custom and smart design that gives you more with less. /s
There's spin on both sides, though, to be honest.
I just hope Lockhart exists, we are in for a great generation either way.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I mean I very much doubt games won't have a fallback for RT. If they don't that's on devs for being lazy.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Series X - $499.99 4K
Series S - $250.00 1080p / 1440p
XCloud - $14.99 with gamepass 1080p

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
MS should really keep this design language though for lockhart if its feasible. Best looking consoles of all time. Style is timeless.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fgordonkelly%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F12%2Fblackandwhite.jpg
For sure, I hope they keep the same white/black theme going.

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to see what The Initiative is cooking for next-gen, hopefully they have a trailer next month. Playground Games next project is more than enough for excitement though so there's no way I can skip the showcase.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
That's not the conversation people are having. An affordable console option is all well and good, but would that console set the baseline and limit the potential or scope of games for the entire generation? That's the debate.

It's a dumb debate considering none of you know what the baseline is even with the consoles already announced. Also considering devs know how develop for more than one sku...since they've been doing it for decades.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
The initial rumors from over a year ago (which have been right so far), suggested the price for it will be $249 (I think) and $499 for the X.

How on earth is MS fitting a 8C 3.6Ghz Zen 2, 12GB GDDR6 RAM, 4TF GPU, 500GB+ NVME drive into a $249 box?

This thing has the same specs as the Xbox One X except better RAM, better CPU, and a NVME drive. Yet it's going to cost half of what the Xbox One X does?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

People aren't rich like the people in the Resetera alternative universe.
Just hop into any thread about PC gaming to see how ignorant some people are about others financial situations. You'd think you're an idiot for not dropping a grand on a gaming PC

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Not a good reason. So far all the rumors for Lockhart are not looking positively and if it's priced to high than its an even worst decision. It needs be priced right and I doubt it will be.
You're saying that the rumored specs "are not looking positively", but that the system will be "priced too high"?

Do you see why that sounds odd?

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What games you think are going to be 4K 60fps with ray tracing if Minecraft with ray tracing runs at 30fps 1080p on Series X?

A couple things to note about the demoed version of Minecraft ray tracing on Xbox.
1) it was a technical demo to showcase the hardware accelerated raytracing potential of XSX
2) this version of Minecraft is currently in active development, and does not represent the complete product
3) it was ported by a single engineer in a month to the Xbox Series X

And most importantly, this demo doesn't utilize any machine learning upscaling, like the current NVidia Minecraft RTX beta. With DLSS, native 1080p Minecraft RTX is upscaled to 4K. So maybe it won't be 4K/60fps, but I could see it being fully path traced at 1440p 'DLSS' at 60fps

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me, but people aren't swimming in money.
Yes and they won't be buying Lockhart

QUOTE="JaggedSac, post: 31902162, member: 6829"]
Yeah, that would be a shame for MS to purposefully build a price conscious box and then not price it to be a price conscious box.
[/QUOTE]they did it with the all digital version of the s. It was overpriced.

Oct 31, 2019
So people who can't afford the Series X can still get a next gen experience. It isn't rocket science. This place does not represent every gamer out there.
Though the question is can you really get a next gen experience as you put it with just a 4TF machine when even One X is more powerful and with recent sales really cheap. Also let's not forget no true net gen exclusives for < 2years too.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Not a good reason. So far all the rumors for Lockhart are not looking positively and if it's priced to high than its an even worst decision

It's a perfectly good reason. You just don't like it because you never had any intention of getting it in the first place. Not everybody has a bunch of disposable income.

Though the question is can you really get a next gen experience as you put it with just a 4TF machine when even One X is more powerful and with recent sales really cheap. Also let's not forget no true net gen exclusives for < 2years too.

The One X isn't more powerful. People need to stop with this crap.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
How on earth is MS fitting a 8C 3.6Ghz Zen 2, 12GB GDDR6 RAM, 4TF GPU, 500GB+ NVME drive into a $249 box?

This thing has the same specs as the Xbox One X except better RAM, better CPU, and a NVME drive. Yet it's going to cost half of what the Xbox One X does?
Xbox One X was just on sale for $299.

$299 is what the Lockhart should be priced at. Never believed the $249 part, as the Reddit leak said it might be a stream box, which it isn't.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a dumb debate considering none of you know what the baseline is even with the consoles already announced. Also considering devs know how develop for more than one sku...since they've been doing it for decades.
So we have two cases here: third party and first party. Third party will have to support older GPUs on PC anyway, don't see where one different target that is also similar to PC in terms of hardware and devkit anyway will be a huge problem.
First party is even the same as Microsoft will put their games on PC, too.
This is "caring for devs" under a false flag.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Not a good reason. So far all the rumors for Lockhart are not looking positively and if it's priced to high than its an even worst decision. It needs be priced right and I doubt it will be.

It's a perfect reason. Affordability is the perfect reason to make a cheaper version of an expensive product.

What is happening here.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lockhart and XSX are going to be competing for similar parts in manufacturing right? Seems like a dicey situation to release two skus this year given COVID-19.

In the IGN interview with Phil Spencer he said manufacturing was coming back online, and it overall sounded like there wasn't going to be much disruption to the manufacturing side of things. He sounded more worried about delays on the software side due to working from home and how that disrupts the entire process.

Mar 11, 2019
Its very disappointing that the lockhart system is becoming a reality. This will make it necessary for multi-platform titles be able to run on a 4tf system, and who knows what other limitations (memory,cpu,io) it has. In effect next generation xbox titles and multiplatform titles unless they decide to not support the lockhart are as good as a 4TF card, with the games on the Series X mostly receiving resolution bumps or improved RT.