• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
People were very concerned when PS5 was revealed to have 18% lower tflops than XSX, and you're wondering why people are concerned when Lockhart has 66% fewer tflops than XSX?

This does nothing to refute my point that the VAST majority of third party games do very little with the increased power of the refresh consoles beyond res bumps, occasional shadow res boost, and maybe a framerate increase in a few games
Well the target resolution is going to be alot lower therefore the GPU needed to push is lower. It's not like the Lockhart will be shooting for 4k 60 on new games. 1080p will probably be where it fits which is just fine for what it is.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
If 10TF vs 12TF is a huge downgrade that will limit games according to the logic of some here, 4TF is even worse right? The logic doesn't change because of the name on the box right?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
As long as Lockhart has

RDNA2 GPU
Zen 2 8c/16t
RAM faster than One X
The same SSD

I don't see how it can hold back gaming. The target system will be the Series X. Lockhart will be a lower resolution, lower quality settings version of that game.
Yep lots of people still have 1080p tv sets. Now they will get supersampling as well for games that run over 1080p.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Lockhart will smoke the One X in every way. The CPU and GPU are stronger. Remember, this is 4 tflops on new architecture. It's not a one for one comparison. Also it has an SSD. It won't even be close.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Just put this baby on the market. I predict it will do gangbusters and sell like hotcakes. Let the market decide if they want a cheaper affordable next gen console. Lets goooo! haha

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
If 10TF vs 12TF is a huge downgrade that will limit games according to the logic of some here, 4TF is even worse right? The logic doesn't change because of the name on the box right?

I guess it depends on what threads you're reading the ones I've seen have said; Tflops don't matter, 10 vs 12 is barely a difference and SSDs are going to provide the meaningful difference.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all are acting like you're gonna be forced at gunpoint to play the Lockhart versions of games and not on your fancy expensive $499 consoles XD

Besides, even at 4TF with an SSD, Lockhart it will be a ridiculous improvement over the One X.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Of course it will limit games. It will limit them to 1080p most likely. Expected based on the TF difference.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
User banned (1 month): Platform wars. Long history of similar behavior.
It's 9 TF vs. 12 TF which is a huge downgrade.
Were the PS5 a 1080p machine, I would be less concerned. Unfortunately it isn't.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it is. Resolution is currently one of the biggest performance killer. That's how it has been working for fucking decades.

You want to think about baseline ? How do you explain that a game such as The Witcher 3 runs on hardware slower than Xbox One ?
How do you explain it can run on Switch despite being 3 times slower ?

You need to stop with that "baseline" thinking and "secret sauce" PR bullshit console makers spout.

There's a difference between porting a game four years after the fact (and making significant sacrifices to do it) and developing with a baseline spec in mind. If the Switch as it is today existed in 2015 and CDPR built the game with Switch's limitations into consideration from the get-go, you don't think that the end product would have been different?

Hey, this is all rumor. If developers will be allowed to build games for the XSX and then hand off Lockhart ports years later to other studios so they can hack and slash something until it works, I'm perfectly fine with that. Lockhart existing is only a problem if developers are required to support it day-and-date with XSX/PS5.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart will smoke the One X in every way. The CPU and GPU are stronger. Remember, this is 4 tflops on new architecture. It's not a one for one comparison. Also it has an SSD. It won't even be close.

MS's true battle will be convincing casuals that Lockhart running 1080p with 4TF will be better than XB1X running 4K with 6TF. Obviously an informed consumer sees the difference, but will Joe Bro

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
As long as Lockhart has

RDNA2 GPU
Zen 2 8c/16t
RAM faster than One X
The same SSD

I don't see how it can hold back gaming. The target system will be the Series X. Lockhart will be a lower resolution, lower quality settings version of that game.

On top of this, good points btw, it's important to understand MS isn't dumb, by all accounts has their shit together with excellent leadership and talented teams. If this is a thing, it WILL work as advertised.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

This whole argument was dumb. The difference between 12TF and 10TF is 1800p/checkerboard 4k vs 2160p/native 4k. That's a minor difference. If Series S has similar components to the Series X outside of the GPU then it limits nothing. It's just 1080p vs 4k at that point. It only becomes a problem if the other components are vastly inferior to what's in the Series X.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I guess it depends on what threads you're reading the ones I've seen have said; Tflops don't matter, 10 vs 12 is barely a difference and SSDs are going to provide the meaningful difference.
The ones I've seen claim the PS5 had all kinds of bottlenecks and can't even hit 10.3 most of the time. They also claim SSD means nothing for game dev besides load times which isn't true.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

10TF really isn't a huge downgrade.

But all of this is relative to your targets. If you design a game 10TF baseline, the 12TF machine is going to have room for bells and whistles. If you take that same game and reduce its resolution by 75%, 4TF is going to be more than enough.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm still not sure how an 8TF gulf between the S and X would work, but I'll wait to hear more, because I can't imagine Microsoft wouldn't have already considered some of the obvious points being made here about potential problems.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The ones I've seen claim the PS5 had all kinds of bottlenecks and can't even hit 10.3 most of the time. They also claim SSD means nothing for game dev besides load times which isn't true.

Are you sure haven't seen any of the posts I mentioned also?

Not sure how PS5 bottlenecks relate to Series S at all, but I'd be pretty surprised if you've ever actually seen anyone claim 'ssd means nothing for game devs'. I'm almost certain you're embellishing.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Please educate us how does it works

Games are built on higher end hardware then downscaled. That's how most developpers do.

There's a difference between porting a game four years after the fact (and making significant sacrifices to do it) and developing with a baseline spec in mind. If the Switch as it is today existed in 2015 and CDPR built the game with Switch's limitations into consideration from the get-fo, you don't think that the end product would have been different?

Hey, this is all rumor. If developers will be allowed to build games for the XSX and then hand off Lockhart ports years later to other studios so they can hack and slash something until it works, I'm perfectly fine with that. Lockhart existing is only a problem if developers are required to support it day-and-date with XSX/PS5.

Why would the product be different if they could downport it to Switch ? In fact, how do you explain you can make it run on Itel HD GPUs by downgrading visuals but not the game design and such ? It can run on a GPD Win 2 at 480~540p and the GPU is a lot more than 4 times slower than Xbox One.

People are throwing the word baseline without making any sense. A baseline isn't only a target hardware spec. It's also a visual baseline. Say the baseline is PS5, at 4k/30fps. What does it mean ? That you can downscale to 1080p/30fps for hardware 3 times slower and keep the same performance.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The difference here is that 10 and 12 TF are targeting the same resolutions, whereas the 4TF one is targeting a resolution 4 times lower.

And also, very likely the 4TF one is not overclocked to a point where performance scaling gets affected, so we should get a more linear tflop/resolution performance scaling too.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So much concern on the first page. Xbox Series S sounds like it will offer the exact same next gen experience, but at a lower resolution.

If Xbox Series S can render 720p or 900p, that can easily be scaled up by machine learning, like DLSS, to 1080p and 1440p.