• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I definitely know people who won't be able to afford the XSX and will get this instead.
They don't care about graphics they just want to play COD and Destiny

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people saying it's weaker than current gen lmao? It's RDNA2 not GCN, will have VRS and all the other tech, have a SSD and much much better CPU, and targeting 1080p for next gen I'm sure as it was originally rumored to be. Seems like it'll be fine.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Console warring
Who knows MS might use the power of the cloud to make it just as powerful

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
In the age where teraflops don't mean much anymore, why are people worried about 4tf? ;)
I would rather have it not RT at all. I expect to see limited RT on Ps5 and XSX anyway so having it for Lockhart sounds strange to me.
I still look forward to it, if it means access to games for years to come for a low every price. Especially with gamepass and my digital 360 library I'll have access to many many games once I log in to this box.
Yeah that's what mark cerny even said. He said teraflops and cu counts don't matter. Its all about that ssd for next gen. And lockhard will have a really fast ssd.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I can already see it....

MS has been quite on Lockhart until they can demonstrate it. Part of the may blow out will be digital foundry running the same game on series x and s and demonstrating just what they have here, a console that will offer 95+% the same experience at lower res. People will shut up about 4tf or holding this or that back.

Kinda hoping they do the entire game unveil on Lockhart secretly and drop the bomb and price at the end.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
How is "Xbox Series X2" effectively a different type of name than every other console name? Do you think people are not going to call it Series X / Series X2, etc. IRL?

The difference between technical name and communicative name is well-trodden ground in branding.

Microsoft saw people referring to the Xbox 360 as "the 360" for years. They want people to say "the Xbox." That's their brand.

Automakers have all done the same thing. The goal is to get you to say "my Acura," not "my Integra," which is why they went to alphanumeric model designations along with every other luxury automaker.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Why are people saying it's weaker? It's RDNA2 Not GCN, also will have a SSD and much much better CPU, and targeting 1080p for next gen I'm sure as it was originally rumored to be.

Because they see a low number and have absolutely no clue as to what that means outside of lower equals bad. Too many people willing to engage on a subject they're entirely ignorant about.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow wasn't expecting this new model, I'm glad I waited now lol. seems perfect as a side piece to my PS5

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
At $299 it's a great deal and I can totally see it being a big success. I would give it very serious consideration. Any more than that and I'm not so certain. The PS5 would have to be $499. I want a disc drive though.

Let's see how it plays out.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I get that some people are worried, mostly because this is so unusual. I see comments like "this is going to hold back next gen for multiplatform games." but let's not fool ourselves here, Sony will undoubtedly remain the market leader next gen, I don't see that changing at all. I bet most of the multiplatform games will target PS5, not XSX and certainly not Lockhart. So why worry?

And honestly, if upcoming actual next gen Xbox exclusive like Hellblade II and Fable look amazing visually once they show them.....I see no reason anymore to be against Lockhart. Let's wait and see and really let's not jump to conclusions.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
ilgel22fz0u41.png

If XSS really looks like that, I will buy both XSX and XSS.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's smart, but it could alienate a few developers who wouldn't want to develop 2 versions of their games, one with RT, one without RT. I thought doing full RT lighting was simpler than prebaked lighting. But if you have to make 2 types of lighting with and without RT, it will actually be harder to develop for Xbox machines next gen.

Developers are presumably already making games that scale to all sorts of levels due to PC versions. There aren't instantly going to be versions of games that require ray tracing cards because they'd sell no copies on PC.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I've said it before and I'll keep repeating it until someone can show me proof that this will actually work in the real world: people thinking developers can build a game fully in mind for the XSX and then all they'll have to do is lower the resolution to run on Lockhart are being naive. "Scaling" isn't a magic bullet.
All first party Xbox developers are going to be pushing out PC versions of their games where most settings will be scalable. Nearly all third party developers are already pushing out PC versions of their games where most settings are scalable. Lockhart isn't introducing anything to Xbox developers that they aren't already doing. That means resolution, texture quality, shadow quality, etc, are already made to be modified so that more affordable GPUs can still run these games.

They are all already doing this. It is a "magic bullet" that allows me to play a game on my RX580 while my friend plays on his GTX2080.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people are people are comparing PC to consoles. Although most games developed on PC are developed using console specs and using their specific features to optimize games. They are then released for PC giving additional settings.

Most games are not bulti for high-end pc and ported down. If there are few such cased they run badly on console or don't release at all

That's not how it works.

I've said it before and I'll keep repeating it until someone can show me proof that this will actually work in the real world: people thinking developers can build a game fully in mind for the XSX and then all they'll have to do is lower the resolution to run on Lockhart are being naive. "Scaling" isn't a magic bullet.

Of course it is. Resolution is currently one of the biggest performance killer. That's how it has been working for fucking decades.

You want to think about baseline ? How do you explain that a game such as The Witcher 3 runs on hardware slower than Xbox One ?
How do you explain it can run on Switch despite being 3 times slower ?

You need to stop with that "baseline" thinking and "secret sauce" PR bullshit console makers spout.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If the rumors are true, I think the Series S could be a huge success. 1080p with good anti-aliasing still looks great to me, and if this thing is on par with the XB1X in terms of power*, plus it has a similar CPU and SSD to the Series X, it could be a killer value. Bear in mind that 4 TF of RDNA 2 is closer to 6 TF of GCN4 than the simple 4 vs. 6 comparison would suggest. Increased GPU horsepower is great and all, but the chief benefits of this new generation are unquestionably the move to super-fast solid-state storage and the long-overdue upgrade to some actually capable CPUs. People are definitely going to notice the massively reduced load times, snappier Xbox OS menus and the ability to seamlessly switch between games.

I really hope this fan mockup ends up being close to the real thing (aside from the lack of a disc drive which I think would be a big mistake for a more affordable model such as this). A GameCube-sized console with the specs of a modern 1080p gaming PC? Sign me up.

ilgel22fz0u41.png

Oh, damn. I'd throw one of those on my office desks with a PS5 up in the 4K big screen upstairs...

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Curious what this looks like. If it's feature complete with the XSX besides the weaker you and less ram it could be fairly interesting.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
MS should have a blowout on games. Then reveal at the end it was all shown using lockhart kit. Shocked faces. hahahaha.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
The difference between technical name and communicative name is well-trodden ground in branding.

Microsoft saw people referring to the Xbox 360 as "the 360" for years. They want people to say "the Xbox." That's their brand.

Automakers have all done the same thing. The goal is to get you to say "my Acura," not "my Integra," which is why they went to alphanumeric model designations along with virtually every other luxury brand.
Microsoft shouldn't keep calling it "Xbox Series X" in their official PR messaging if they want us to call it "the Xbox". Plenty of people call Nintendo and Playstation consoles "the Nintendo" and "the Playstation" too, btw. Happened to prior Xbox consoles as well. I don't see how the Series X marks a big change in that regard.

We'll talk again in a year or so, I guess. From what I've seen thus far "Series X", "XSX and "Xbox SX seem to be far more used than "Xbox", at least.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sad that the specs for next gen are all over the place. Third party games are going to be greatly held back in a lot of ways because of the limitations.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I guess devs making their lighting system exclusively use RT is a dead idea, 4A better make different plans.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
MS have had the most powerful console and the the most affordable one since late 2017 when they released the X1X and discounted the Xbox One S.
MS has started this coming gen super strong. They have been firing on all cylinders with almost a perfect presentation and communication. completely opposite of Xbox One. MS will have a much much stronger and better debut.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Are devs going to have to build Series X games with PS5's limitations in mind? Weaker CPU, weaker GPU, slower RAM?
Developers will always build for the lowest common denominator, that's how it's always been. I don't understand where people are getting the idea that this time things will be the complete opposite. If MS mandates that all Series X games have to run on Lockhart, Lockhart will be that baseline spec.

All first party Xbox developers are going to be pushing out PC versions of their games where most settings will be scalable. Nearly all third party developers are already pushing out PC versions of their games where most settings are scalable. Lockhart isn't introducing anything to Xbox developers that they aren't already doing. That means resolution, texture quality, shadow quality, etc, are already made to be modified so that more affordable GPUs can still run these games.

They are all already doing this. It is a "magic bullet" that allows me to play a game on my RX580 while my friend plays on his GTX2080.

Games today aren't being built with the GTX2080 in mind. Or the RX580. We're still dealing with current-gen games built for a sub-2TF GCN baseline and scaling up, not down.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so anti series S or what ever name it is. This console is all wrong for a next gen machine we want new experiences and new designs not Half experiences shit. The bad thing is When you design for the lower denominator the one affecting are the high end just like graphics cards, It would be great designing for the 2080 but sadly that's not the case.
Games will be designed for nvm ssd's, zen 2, rdna 2 feature set, rt capabilities. Lockhart is next gen in all the ways that matter, and games will scale just fine to it.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Microsoft would be insane not to release this. A budget oriented console that can run next gen games and services is essential for the next few years given the economic downturn. The mass market isn't going to want $499-$599 consoles.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Sad that the specs for next gen are all over the place. Third party games are going to be greatly held back in a lot of ways because of the limitations.
I feel like this kind of talk is way overblown. Again, it sounds insane that a company would invest that much money in a series X only to completely undercut it when it comes to game development with a weaker system.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
> limited ray tracing

God is dead
This is speculation on WC part, as they say quite clearly, have no performance info about lockhart other than the 4TF.

Though RT is just like any other resource, you scale based on resolution, distance, etc, and it's already done on high end hardware so it's just a matter of moving the thresholds around, not unlike devs will do coming from SX to PS5

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I'm so anti series S or what ever name it is. This console is all wrong for a next gen machine we want new experiences and new designs not Half experiences shit. The bad thing is When you design for the lower denominator the one affecting are the high end just like graphics cards, It would be great designing for the 2080 but sadly that's not the case.
New designs and experiences will mostly be based off better cpu and ssd which lockhart has. Lockhart experience will be next gen at a cheaper price.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
As long as Lockhart has

RDNA2 GPU
Zen 2 8c/16t
RAM faster than One X
The same SSD

I don't see how it can hold back gaming. The target system will be the Series X. Lockhart will be a lower resolution, lower quality settings version of that game.