• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
(Disclaimer: Don't take these as leaks. This is a recap of rumors and whispers ... with a bit of wishful thinking.)

've heard credible rumors that despite winning awards for its single-player title Hellblade, Ninja Theory is, in fact, working on some sort of multiplayer game, in a similar vein to For Honor or Absolver. I'm not sure how true that one is, so we'll have to wait and see. I've also heard that Rare is working on another multiplayer game, alongside Sea of Thieves, which may come as a disappointment to those expecting a return to Banjo Kazooie or Conker. Still, there's no reason Rare wouldn't be able to outsource and contribute those IPs, similarly to what they're doing with Battletoads and Dlala Studios. I expect we'll see the new Battletoads in some form, even if it is brief.

Halo Infinite has been rumored to be taking on some form of "RPG" approach to its gameplay, but I've heard that any progression systems are soft at best. You're not going to be grinding stats, put it that way.

Microsoft will show off a new Forza Horizon 4 expansion at E3 2019, and I've heard that rather than being location-based, it will be another brand-oriented partnership in a similar vein to the Hot Wheels DLC. If you were a fan of Hot Wheels, you should be pleased with what Playground is bringing to the table here, if what I've heard is true.

We're expecting the new Xbox consoles to come with an all-new OS, based on Windows Core OS, which we've been covering for some time now. Expect an all-new dashboard based on the Fluent Design System, with the speed and fluidity at the forefront.

As for new studio acquisitions, I haven't heard a sliver of credible information. There have been suggestions Microsoft may acquire Relic from Sega, to help elevate the Age of Empires franchise. Rumors (likely made up) have also pointed towards a range of other independent smaller studios, including IO Interactive, Asobo Studio, and even Crytek. I haven't been able to drum up anything I'd call concrete on this front, but typically these talks are at the highest level and aren't easily leaked save for occasional instances of public company documents.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
That Halo RPG talk is something that I hope is literally just a rumor. I want old school open Halo like combat evolved open, with all the new neat stuff they have added with suit, weapons, physics, shit like that. New death animations for taking out big guys. Let that be Halo. This RPG thing literally says " 343 still doesn't know wtf to do with the franchise".

I know that's a knee jerk hot take but when someone says rpg and halo I have to stop and pause for a moment.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
inb4 "ms forced ninja theory to make there next game mp due to game pass"

can not wait for e3 i need to see halo

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ninja Theory, a studio known for great single player games, gets bought by Microsoft and what's the first thing we get? A multiplayer game of course. Microsoft just refuses to invest in single player only games.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Ninja Theory, a studio known for great single player games, gets bought by Microsoft and what's the first thing we get? A multiplayer game of course. Microsoft just refuses to invest in single player only games.

This is the dumbest post of the day.

Ninja Theory was already working on a MP game prior to MS acquisition, they didn't start this game last year lmao

They probably resumed this or started from scratch

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
We're expecting the new Xbox consoles to come with an all-new OS, based on Windows Core OS, which we've been covering for some time now. Expect an all-new dashboard based on the Fluent Design System, with the speed and fluidity at the forefront.

This is gigantic news because that'll mean the next gen console will be the first big consumer device to use Core OS. I wonder what this means for PC gaming since Core OS doesn't have Win32 support.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
All I need is that Playground Games Fable reboot. Shoot that shit into my veins MS.

giphy.gif

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed with NT not making a SP game. Hopefully the next one is.
Also:
Rumors (likely made up) have also pointed towards a range of other independent smaller studios, including IO Interactive, Asobo Studio, and even Crytek. I haven't been able to drum up anything I'd call concrete on this front, but typically these talks are at the highest level and aren't easily leaked save for occasional instances of public company documents.
Klobrille is a higher up at MS confirmed!

They most likely have been developing this game before the acquisition. It's not on MS.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Another MP game by Rare? Eh....
I understand your concern, but I actually think they could do something amazing. After its rocky start, Sea of Thieves has gotten amazing support and they've done a great job of shifting their efforts to what the game needed. Hopefully, in a second iteration, they'll understand the importance of content at launch and really give us a ton of stuff, then combine that with the amazing post-launch support that Sea of Thieves has gotten. It could be like the jump from AC1 to AC2 in terms of quality and understanding what the game needed.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Ninja Theory's new game -
giphy.gif

It's multiplayer -
giphy.gif

After Hellblade the last thing I'd want from that studio is a multiplayer game but it is what it is.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Aside from the reveal of the new hardware, sounds pretty standard on the software front. I expect the the third party stuff will be the most interesting.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This is literally the last thing i want from Ninja Theory. I'd be more excited if they were remaking Columns.

Yeah in my Ninja Theory game rankings, the less gameplay it has the higher it ends up being on the list. Something like For Honor is not something I would ask for from them

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I've heard credible rumors that despite winning awards for its single-player title Hellblade, Ninja Theory is, in fact, working on some sort of multiplayer game, in a similar vein to For Honor or Absolver. I'm not sure how true that one is, so we'll have to wait and see. I've also heard that Rare is working on another multiplayer game, alongside Sea of Thieves, which may come as a disappointment to those expecting a return to Banjo Kazooie or Conker. Still, there's no reason Rare wouldn't be able to outsource and contribute those IPs, similarly to what they're doing with Battletoads and Dlala Studios. I expect we'll see the new Battletoads in some form, even if it is brief.

Wait... wut?

What happened to all the creative freedom and infinite resources Ninja Theory was supposed get out of the MS deal?

Why would MS buy a purely SP game developer and then have them start making a multiplayer game?... Even from a commercial risk POV it makes no sense.

Fans of NT's past games just don't want that from them, thus buying up an existing studio on the back of their pedigree is rendered pretty redundant by this if true.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Halo RPG talk is something that I hope is literally just a rumor. I want old school open Halo like combat evolved open, with all the new neat stuff they have added with suit, weapons, physics, shit like that. New death animations for taking out big guys. Let that be Halo. This RPG thing literally says " 343 still doesn't know wtf to do with the franchise".

I know that's a knee jerk hot take but when someone says rpg and halo I have to stop and pause for a moment.

I would imagine the RPG elements are on the scale of Doom 2016's or Tomb Raider

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima PerĂş
Already have For Honor with gwg, not interested in another one, tbh.
Not too interested in another Rare multplayer but I'm curious to see what they are up to.
Not a big Forza fan.
I'm in for Age of Empires and Gears
No Fable would be a huge dissapointment to me.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait... wut?

What happened to all the creative freedom and infinite resources Ninja Theory was supposed get out of the MS deal?

Why would MS buy a purely SP game developer and then have them start making a multiplayer game?... Even from a commercial risk POV it makes no sense.

Fans of NT's past games just don't want that from them, thus buying up an existing studio on the back of their pedigree is rendered pretty redundant by this if true.

Have you ever considered that NT want to do a multiplayer game?

I believe the rumor is that it's the game they had to previously shelve before working on Hellblade because of a lack of resources.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait... wut?

Fucking lol.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... wut?

Oh look a second one.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Wait... wut?

Can I get some "he we go" memes?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Another Rare game at E3? I really shouldn't let myself get hyped over this since this hasn't panned out since Kinect but hey, I'm gonna raise my hype level from 0 to 5 now. Please make a good game Rare!

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Wait... wut?

I'm just as dissapointed as everyone to hear Ninja Theory is just making a multiplayer game. But let's not pretend this is MS's doing. Ninja Theory is a multi team studio and they've had this game in development for years.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
User Warned: Hostility towards other members

Mod Edit: Hostile reaction GIF removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Relic makes sense from MS point of view. Its looks they are gonna have control of a big IP from MS with AoE. Lots of risk there for the future to have the IP in "control" of a outside studio

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Wait... wut?

Why would MS buy a purely SP game developer and then have them start making a multiplayer game?
... .
How did you come to that conclusion? What makes you think it wasn't their choice? NT has multiple teams and one of the teams actually had an mp game they had been working on for years but shelved it to focus on Hellblade and besides they've always wanted to make another Kung Fu Chaos game which was also a multiplayer fighting game.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Why did MS buy rare if they're just going to have them make Kinect games? More like Micro$oft"

Rare makes a brand new game that they want to make

"Of course it's a multiplayer game! Why does M$ hate single player games?"