• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is The Console War Over For Xbox?

• Yes

Votes: 629 63.0%
  • No

Votes: 369 37.0%

• Total voters

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Objective reality is they failed in their stated (internal objective) goal.

360 came last in 3 console market, that you need to ignore the reality of the Wii is telling in painting a picture of the 360 being the dominate console (by ignoring the end state or worldwide sales) of that generation.
Well lemme put it this way when people and I guess casuals look back at the history of playstation, Ps3 isn't looked at in a good light. In fact, Ps3 is the example used in conversation as Sony's misstep in the console market. Even though it came in 2nd in the 7th generation, do you really think mS looks at the 360 as unsuccessful?

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Well lemme put it this way when people and I guess casuals look back at the history of playstation, Ps3 isn't looked at in a good light. In fact, Ps3 is the example used in conversation as Sony's misstep in the console market. Even though it came in 2nd in the 7th generation, do you really think mS looks at the 360 as unsuccessful?
That's perception though not objective reality, and MS came in 3rd in the 7th gen. As "casual" players actually brought more Wii's and PS3's individually over the 360.

Also why have you moved the discussion to re-imagining the objective end state of the 7th generation based on your perception as opposed to weather or not this generation was a failure?

Feb 23, 2019
Good point, I would like to hear why going full 3rd party with all titles, exclusive and all, on PS5 and everywhere else wouldn't be something they'd aim for if dedicated Xbox hardware doesn't matter any more.

For mine, "Xbox hardware doesn't matter anymore" is not an utterance I've seen come from MS at all and is being conflated with their future strategy.

Xbox hardware matters for brand presence. It is also (at the end of the generation) a revenue stream.

What is being argued is that (going forwards) 'console sales' will not be the measurement of platform health and user base. i.e. there could be a bigger community of players with less consoles sold. Or let me put it this way, we could see one company with a wide margin of lower console sales, earning more money.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
That's perception though not objective reality, and MS came in 3rd in the 7th gen. As "casual" players actually brought more Wii's and PS3's individually over the 360.

Also why have you moved the discussion to re-imagining the objective end state of the 7th generation based on your perception as opposed to weather or not this generation was a failure?
Perception is what sells though, as the Ps4 from announcement was perceived by the masses as the more promising console of the generation. And I'd say Ps4 definitely delivered on that promise.

I didn't reimagine the end state of the 7th generation. The fact of the matter is the Ps3 outsold the 360 by a few million consoles, but it matched and surpassed it close to the end of the generation's cycle. As for going to that from discussing whether this generation was a failure or not, it's pretty much impossible to discuss sales of any particular gen without bringing up the others.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Perception is what sells though, as the Ps4 from announcement was perceived by the masses as the more promising console of the

I didn't re-imagine the end state of the 7th generation. The fact of the matter is the Ps3 outsold the 360 by a few million consoles, but it matched and surpassed it close to the end of the generation's cycle. As for going to that from discussing whether this generation was a failure or not, it's pretty much impossible to discuss sales of any particular gen without bringing up the others.
MS has never sold more than the Sony machine though, yet you argue the perception is MS sold more 7th gen because the Wii does not exist and the final numbers of the PS3 can be ignored as well.

So MS has been perceived as winning the 7th gen with major elements of reality excised in order to buttress this perception, yet did not sell more during the 6th, 7th, nor it seems the 8th gen. The Perception of sales victor has been so strong and actualising for Xbox, they've dropped reporting on sales shipments and have pivoted to subscription services no longer tied to their console. That's your fable? An arsetechinca Kyle Oraland style fabulation based on narrow use of subsets of data?

console-wars-q3-2015-new.001.jpeg

Last edited:

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
MS has never sold more than the Sony machine though, yet you argue the perception is MS sold more 7th gen because the Wii does not exist and the final numbers of the PS3 can be ignored as well.

So MS has been perceived as winning the 7th gen with major elements of reality excised in order to buttress this perception, yet did not sell more during the 6th, 7th, nor it seems the 8th gen. The Perception of sales victor has been so strong and actualising for Xbox, they've dropped reporting on sales shipments and have pivoted to subscription services no longer tied to their console. That's your fable?
I can't help but feel like you have a hostile undertone in your post. My argument is that the perception is that the 360 was a massive success and established mS as significant player in the console market for the foreseeable future.

My argument was never that the perception is mS sold more than Sony last gen. I didn't say that, as that would be saying something that simply isn't true, since the reality is Ps3 did beat the 360 in sales. I also never said mS was perceived as winning 7th gen either, or any "fable" whatsoever for that matter.

edit: what is that graph for? you edited it in with no pretext or context

Last edited:

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I buy all systems because I love new gadgets and hardware in general. Same applies to PC hardware components.

As for games, I buy them on consoles that look/performs the best. PC is a different beast and buy games separately for that, which leads to double or triple dipping on certain multiplayer-centric games because I have friends that play on different platforms.

For the sake of healthy competition and technology advancement, I certainly hope Microsoft keeps pushing the envelope on the hardware front.

My body is ready for new hardware :-)

Last edited:

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
The point I was trying to make is that unless Microsoft announces numbers again, which they won't, we'll never know for sure. That 84 million figure is 3 years older than the 87 million for PS3. There's no way to be certain who took second place.
also, i don't know how much this matters but Ps3's 87m figure is shipped, and 360's 84m figure is sold

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
The point I was trying to make is that unless Microsoft announces numbers again, which they won't, we'll never know for sure. That 84 million figure is 3 years older than the 87 million for PS3. There's no way to be certain who took second place.
Yeah that's real as because of obfuscation of numbers we don't know. We do know Wii existed and did sell more boxes for the 7th gen though.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
I can't help but feel like you have a hostile undertone in your post. My argument is that the perception is that the 360 was a massive success and established mS as significant player in the console market for the foreseeable future.

My argument was never that the perception is mS sold more than Sony last gen. I didn't say that, as that would be saying something that simply isn't true, since the reality is Ps3 did beat the 360 in sales. I also never said mS was perceived as winning 7th gen either, or any "fable" whatsoever for that matter.

edit: what is that graph for? you edited it in with no pretext or context
No you've literally stated perceptions is what sells, so why did this in fact not happen? Assuming MS won the perception war of the 7th gen by ignoring end of gen and Wii as a competitor.

Why did the perception of MS success during the 7th gen result in Xbox one not failing (In achieving it's internal objective in selling 200 million consoles). Because the way Phil stated in that interview; Xbox div did believe in their 7th gen success and dominance and attempted to build on that by blowing past Sony's largest ever market dominance with the PS2, but they failed.

Graph is a artefact of fabulation and perception based on selective reading of data By Kyle from Ars technica.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
No you've literally stated perceptions is what sells, so why did this in fact not happen? Assuming MS won the perception war of the 7th gen by ignoring end of gen and Wii as a competitor.

Why did the perception of MS success during the 7th gen result in Xbox one not failing (In achieving it's internal objective in selling 200 million consoles). Because the way Phil stated in that interview; Xbox div did believe in their 7th gen success and dominance and attempted to build on that by blowing past Sony's largest ever market dominance with the PS2, but they failed.

Graph is a artefact of fabulation and perception based on selective reading of data By Kyle from Ars technica.
I followed up with my comment on perception by talking about the Ps4, not the Wii. I don't know why you keep bringing the Wii up here because that was the undisputed king of the 7th generation, I don't think anyone can deny that. I also conceded that mS may not be happy with Xbone's performance this generation and that for me personally the performance was not bad at all.

I can't even tell what your point is that you're trying to make with this accusatory tone.
I doubt there would have been many PS3's sitting on retailers shelves by mid-2017.
I doubt it too.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
I followed up with my comment on perception by talking about the Ps4, not the Wii. I don't know why you keep bringing the Wii up here because that was the undisputed king of the 7th generation, I don't think anyone can deny that. I also conceded that mS may not be happy with Xbone's performance this generation and that for me personally the performance was not bad at all.

I can't even tell what your point is that you're trying to make with this accusatory tone.
I doubt it too.
Probably because I thought we were discussing the current gen, and you decided to start talking about 7th gen and the perception of MS dominance during that gen in order to prove a irrelevant point about if MS saw the Xbox360 as a success and a weird primacy on "perception".

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because I thought we were discussing the current gen, and you decided to start talking about 7th gen and the perception of MS dominance during that gen in order to prove a irrelevant point about if MS saw the Xbox360 as a success and a weird primacy on "perception".
So you're admitting then that you're purposely having this convsersation with a hostile attitude. You're intentionally being unfriendly, making this personal even though I didn't show you any disrespect. And if you can't have a conversation with mutual respect then the conversation's over. And like I mentioned before, it's pretty much impossible to talk about one generation without bringing up the others - you have too when you said mS never outsold Sony - and the 7th gen has been talked about since the beginning of the thread

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
My argument is that the perception is that the 360 was a massive success and established mS as significant player in the console market for the foreseeable future.

It should have, but they dropped the ball. The Xbox One is a complete and total failure after the 360, with probably about 1/2 of the lifetime sales, while the competition will go past the 100 million mark, at a ratio of more than two to one. And the Nintendo Switch will pass the Xbox one in just its third year of sales, where the Xbox one has been on the market for six years which means that it too is on track to double the sales or more over its lifetime

MS is anything but a significant player, except in the US/UK where they manage to somewhat hold their own. Can they correct it? Don't know, this was a BAD generation to fail

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's on MS to provide, they don't just get the benefit of the doubt, all we have is a higher figure for PS3, so until we get something saying otherwise, 360 will go down as a close 3rd.
It's all irrelevant anyway, Sony took the failures of the PS3 and came with the PS4. MS took the success of 360 and gave us the XB1, which blew away massive chunks of what the 360 built. MS are clearly taking the failures of XB1 to hopefully have a similar turn around. Nothing is pointing to Sony doing another PS3, no one will ever do another PS3, building a system around exotic hardware is just a massive money blackhole.

Oct 30, 2017
This gen I've gone from what I'd call a hardcore gamer to casual. Bought Switch & PS4 at launch.
Then bought an X1 as I liked the look of Forza over GT.

Eventually tried game pass

If Sony had the equivalent of Game Pass I'd have probably kept hold of it

I liked the cheap subscription model of game pass though for casual gameplay though and just trying random games.

Flogged the other two

Going into next gen if this distinct difference of service remains i feel like they're going for two very different markets

But usually at launch I'm not the kind of market demographic they want to go for so I could see X2 struggling at launch if not done right

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
MS is moving towards an all digital future faster than the competition, so I think they operate in different segments of the market. Sony is primary console focused while MS is going everywhere too everyone. So yes console war is dead imo, the next digital «war» will have different criteria than pure console sales numbers, if there ever be such a «war»

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
MS is moving towards an all digital future faster than the competition, so I think they operate in different segments of the market. Sony is primary console focused while MS is going everywhere too everyone. So yes console war is dead imo, the next digital «war» will have different criteria than pure console sales numbers, if there ever be such a «war»
Sony aren't purely console/hardware focused. Their main focus is PSN, it makes by far the most money for them (I think it makes more than Nintendo and Xbox combined even), a big reason why is they have massive reach through their hardware sales, but their focus is still PSN above all.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I think the comparison between Sony and MS in regard to selling consoles and general success should end. They are doing different things and they are on different levels. There is no point to it.

This exactly! They are both excellent platforms and they are focusing on different aspects of gaming with some good overlap between each other. I personally going to get both just like I did this gen. In general, I think people will be happy with either of them next year.

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
Sony aren't purely console/hardware focused. Their main focus is PSN, it makes by far the most money for them (I think it makes more than Nintendo and Xbox combined even), a big reason why is they have massive reach through their hardware sales, but their focus is still PSN above all.

I didnt said purely console/hardware but primary focus on console, big difference. Sony is using exclusives to push console, and the more people they can convince into their ecosystem the more users they get for PSN, which have worked wonders for them this gen. MS approach is very different imo going in next gen, they have noe more exclusives and are going all inn on Game pass. Ergo Sony more focused on console while Ms more focused on the digital route

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Two reasons it will never end.

There will always be people who can only afford one console.

There are people who have been fighting the fighting for so long, they'll never put down arms.

The former is understandable, the latter is just sad.
Meanwhile you don't even need a console with Stadia, you can just go buy the games and play. But of course people still claim it's dead on arrival. It's really fascinating to listen to the concerns.

Which brings me to the OP...
Yes, over the console war is... Begun the cloud war has.
;)

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I didnt said purely console/hardware but primary focus on console, big difference. Sony is using exclusives to push console, and the more people they can convince into their ecosystem the more users they get for PSN, which have worked wonders for them this gen. MS approach is very different imo going in next gen, they have noe more exclusives and are going all inn on Game pass. Ergo Sony more focused on console while Ms more focused on the digital route
They are both focused on console as much as each other, hell MS you can argue more so give the X, S, SAD and next gen consoles. Sony just aren't going out of their garden, but their focus is the same, grow their service.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
It's been over when the highly successful 360 had a headstart,lower price(than ps3) and the best versions of 3rd party games and still ended up in 3rd place.

Then the xbo gets molly whopped in sales by both ps4 and switch plus it doesn't help that you don't need a Xbox to play its exclusives.

Console sales not mattering is a spin Xbox fanboys do.

However.....
They have made many strides towards pleasing gamers and i applaud them for it and will continue to support them.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile you don't even need a console with Stadia, you can just go buy the games and play. But of course people still claim it's dead on arrival. It's really fascinating to listen to the concerns.

Which brings me to the OP...
Yes, over the console war is... Begun the cloud war has.
;)

As long as we have shitty Internet and no stable Connections in a lot of countrys, cloud will do shit.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it is done.

Gamepass on future PS consoles would suit me just fine.

It's interesting to think what would need to happen for Sony to allow gamepass on their platform.

MS would have to be out of the dedicated console market entirely (I would think), and Sony would have to take a 30% cut from the full price sub cost (if we agree that is the "standard" cut companies take from 3rd parties for a game to be on their platform). On a $120 a year sub, that is like a person bought 2 third party games per year on the Sony store and is that higher or lower than the average Sony sees today per person.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
As long as we have shitty Internet and no stable Connections in a lot of countrys, cloud will do shit.
Fortunately the world is more than "a lot of countries" and internet won't stay bad and unstable for long when Google, MS, Sony and more companies enter the cloud era. The snowball will start rolling. It is the future, no doubt.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Well it might gets different from next gen but I'm sure Xbox will do fine and kind of crush Stadia with its cloud ability.

I'm the minority who prefer Xbox over PlayStation. Their exclusive are not my type and Xbox overall is always best suited for party chat/matchmaking and nicer UI.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Fortunately the world is more than "a lot of countries" and internet won't stay bad and unstable for long when Google, MS, Sony and more companies enter the cloud era. The snowball will start rolling. It is the future, no doubt.

If it will be the future I don't know.
But i'm pretty sure the next generation will not be decided with Cloud gaming. I'll go further and think it will not impact the next generation at all.

Also Infrastructure etc. is not on Sony or MS. I don't think germany for example is going to extend their ( real shitty ) internet infrastructure because of cloud gaming.

Last edited:

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If it will be the future I don't know.
But i'm pretty sure the next generation will not be decided with Cloud gaming. I'll go further and think it will not impact the next generation at all.

Also Infrastructure etc. is not on Sony or MS. I don't think germany for example is going to extend their ( real shitty ) internet infrastructure because of cloud gaming.

What? I'm confused now...

plow

Oct 28, 2017
What? I'm confused now...

The best Servers and best Cloud Infrastructure in the world doesn't mean shit if i have a copper tube under my house with max 16k DSL.

Of Course MS,Sony and Google will have amazing Servers and Cloud Infrastructure but in the end it's not only up to them to get it working in every possible household.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The best Servers and best Cloud Infrastructure in the world doesn't mean shit if i have a copper tube under my house with max 16k DSL.

Of Course MS,Sony and Google will have amazing Servers and Cloud Infrastructure but in the end it's not only up to them to get it working in every possible household.

Ah that's better. Anyway the internet in most contries is not as bad as you're making it to be. There will be an audience for cloud gaming and things will continue to improve tech wise.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Ah that's better. Anyway the internet in most contries is not as bad as you're making it to be. There will be an audience for cloud gaming and things will continue to improve tech wise.

I can only speak for my country ( Germany ) and it's pretty bad here. We might be an exception but i'm not so positive.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well of course, you need content to push technology. It's not like there was a huge amount of 4K content to buy or watch when those TV's came out. When there is more demand, people using Stadia and other streaming services, means more pressure to invest in infrastructure.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
It should have, but they dropped the ball. The Xbox One is a complete and total failure after the 360, with probably about 1/2 of the lifetime sales, while the competition will go past the 100 million mark, at a ratio of more than two to one. And the Nintendo Switch will pass the Xbox one in just its third year of sales, where the Xbox one has been on the market for six years which means that it too is on track to double the sales or more over its lifetime

MS is anything but a significant player, except in the US/UK where they manage to somewhat hold their own. Can they correct it? Don't know, this was a BAD generation to fail
I've stated in this thread that I do not believe the Xbone is a complete and total failure. It's not selling as well as the Ps4, but the gap between that and Xbone is smaller than the gap between Ps2 and Xbox1. I think there is enough traction for mS to bounce back, just like they did with Xbox1 to 360.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
The XB1 will end up selling in the neighborhood of HALF of the 360 according to all the experts. Unfortunately that's a failure no matter what spin you use. Just like the Wii U was a failure, and how initially so was the PS3, but they recovered with excellent software support toward the end of the cycle.

Too bad because the hardware for the 1X isn't terrible - the software is

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

They don't need to be in every household. Consoles aren't in every household today. Cloud gaming will be huge, eventually, even if some no doubt are just as unfortunate as you.

Personally I think Stadia will get big simply because you won't need to buy a console and because of the free Stadia Base streaming. It might not appeal to the core gamers here but those are no doubt big barriers for some people, which are now removed.

But some are more focused on being concerned about latency, even though DF tested Stadia and on AC Odyssey it had the same latency as the XB1X version running locally. And they're concerned that you're not owning the games, even though the game licenses are tied to your account just as when you buy something on every other digital store. I'm guessing that their biggest concern is that their precious standard console business might shrink... :s

Last edited:

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
The XB1 will end up selling in the neighborhood of HALF of the 360 according to all the experts. Unfortunately that's a failure no matter what spin you use. Just like the Wii U was a failure, and how initially so was the PS3, but they recovered with excellent software support toward the end of the cycle.

Too bad because the hardware for the 1X isn't terrible - the software is
I mean by that definition PS3 was also a failure. 155 million PS2's vs 86 million PS3's.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean by that definition PS3 was also a failure. 155 million PS2's vs 86 million PS3's.

That is correct. Most view last gen as the one Sony fumbled and failed, which should offer some context to the extent of Xbox's console market share failings this gen, or the Wii U's last gen too. Granted Sony did turn things around somewhat towards the end of last gen, ultimately clawing back market share, but it was still a far cry from their dominance from past generations, or even this current one.