• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018
I feel like we see this every generation. Destiny 1 and Dragon Age Inquisition on Xbox 360 were awful too. Cross-gen versions of highly anticipated games are kind of a necessity because of install base but it's super unfortunate for the games themselves to be technically compromised

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
No...fuck you with this elitist shit some gamers are displaying. Not everyone has the newest systems.

My nephew can't afford a series x/s right now but is really hyped for the new halo and will play it on his xbox one. I bet there are many people like him....

I don't really agree with the premise of the OP as I'm pretty certain it is a Cyberpunk specific problem. I don't think I've seen any PS4 or XBO game that performs as badly as that game does- ever. More ambitious stuff from other developers turned out fine on those systems.

However, IF the premise is "release something on XBO that plays as badly as Cyberpunk does" or cancel it outright and make it next gen only, I am absolutely in favor of canceling it for last gen. Cyberpunk as it exists on those systems is borderline unplayable, and you're only ripping off people who are paying money expecting something competent.

Isurus

May 21, 2019
I agree. If MS really feels the need for it to be playable on Xbox One, they can attempt to save face by putting Halo Infinite on xCloud and making xCloud available on the Xbox One, thereby making it available on the platform (sort of). This is the best approach at this point. We shouldn't be getting new cross-get games late next year. It's absurd.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite was presumably made with the original XBONE's as a baseline.
Halo Infinite is also probably-definitely going to be a lot less complicated than Cyberpunk, on a technical level. It's not like there are going to be tons of NPCs, super dense city areas, or anything else all that crazy.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Maybe Halo Infinite should just be next-gen but why is Cyberpunk the proof of that? It's like people forget about the mess that was The Witcher 3 at launch.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about the technical side of things, but certainly it economically makes a lot less sense to release it on the Xbox One if it's being delayed by a year.

Oct 31, 2017
The thing that is the most concerning is that if it's intended to be a platform for future Halo content then at least for a fair while it's going to be held back in scale and development/optimisation made significantly more onerous by having to always work on last gen versions of every content pack Instead is simply designing them exclusively for the Xbox Series consoles.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I don't really agree with the premise of the OP as I'm pretty certain it is a Cyberpunk specific problem. I don't think I've seen any PS4 or XBO game that performs as badly as that game does- ever. More ambitious stuff from other developers turned out fine on those systems.

However, IF the premise is "release something on XBO that plays as badly as Cyberpunk does" or cancel it outright and make it next gen only, I am absolutely in favor of canceling it for last gen. Cyberpunk as it exists on those systems is borderline unplayable, and you're only ripping off people who are paying money expecting something competent.
Issue is also partly from having to develop for multiple SKUs!!

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I'm just trying to imagine what a Halo 3 developed for both base Xbox and the 360 would have looked like. The reality is, halo 3 would have been a worse game if it was forced to be cross gen. Apply the same thing to infinite. Are those like 1000 people that are playing a new halo on old hardware really going to bring that much money that they don't even try to bring a next gen experience? I guess so. Fucking stupid.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
No...fuck you with this elitist shit some gamers are displaying. Not everyone has the newest systems.

My nephew can't afford a series x/s right now but is really hyped for the new halo and will play it on his xbox one. I bet there are many people like him....
When your nephew was buying the Xbox One console they he knew it was for a generation until it would stop being supported. So a port should be the best thing for him. Otherwise he may end up with an unplayable game just like Cyberpunk is turning out to be on the Xbox One!!

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, when I think Halo, I never expect best in class graphics. But then again I guess I was in the minority by thinking the Infinite demo looked fine.

Either way, it's not like they were ever going to push the game graphically to a point that it makes it unrealistic to scale to the base consoles.
The Halo games always aged really well, that's a combination of good art and ahead-of-the-curve lighting systems. Still at the end of the day, every Halo game besides Halo 5 has had split-screen co-op with huge levels, big draw distances, and dozens of enemies running around. They never really had the overhead to push the little micro details beyond other games of the time.

That's why it makes sense to me to have Halo Infinite be supported on the Xbox One, at least for a couple years until future expansions really stretch their legs as their plan is to have this be a platform like Destiny.

The base game was designed for these consoles. Unlike Cyberpunk which was targeting PCs with tons of fast RAM and storage and simply wanted to be playable on these consoles at "30ish" fps with minimum settings and low resolution.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think so. People need to realize that Infinite has been developed for the Xbox One from the get go and its only been in the last couple of years that Xbox Series version was announced. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Infinite at one point was One exclusive until the announcement of the Xbox Series consoles. I'm pretty confident that because of this fact that Infinite is, and will be, far more optimized for the regular Xbox One than Cyberpunk 2077 is.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Which is why I think its a problem specific to cyberpunk. More ambitious games from other developers (RDR2) that targeted only PS4/XBO/PC didn't have these issues. Halo infinite should be fine.
Also important to point out that RDR2 didn't launch simultaneously with their PC version. If 343 don't stretch themselves beyond what they can handle Infinite will be fine across all platforms.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Which is why I think its a problem specific to cyberpunk. More ambitious games from other developers (RDR2) that targeted only PS4/XBO/PC didn't have these issues. Halo infinite should be fine.
They were building for one generation of consoles in your example. So another perspective is PC cards like RTX 2080 Ti's were being held back by game designs for consoles. I'm sure CyberPunk 2077 would have been much better on last gen if there was no Series X and PS5. Imagine having to develop for PS5, Series X, PC, Xbox One, Xbox One X, PS4 PS4 pro. They most likely built it for a top spec PC card(2060 and above) and then downscaled it to PS4 and Xbox One. Thats why the performance is so bad on those systems.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. There are right ways to do cross-gen games (Insomniac and miles morales) and wrong ways (CDPR). I think MS will know how to do it correctly.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
PC players will have much slower storage I/O and, statistically, are most likely to be playing on hardware in the ballpark of a GTX 1060. By your definition, it's holding the game back and needs to be cancelled.
Being completely disingenuous and ignoring the fact that a GTX 1060 and SATA SSD literally falcon punches the Xbox One into dust, sure.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
They were building for one generation of consoles in your example. So another perspective is PC cards like RTX 2080 Ti's were being held back by game designs for consoles. I'm sure CyberPunk 2077 would have been much better on last gen if there was no Series X and PS5. Imagine having to develop for PS5, Series X, PC, Xbox One, Xbox One X, PS4 PS4 pro. They most likely built it for a top spec PC card(2060 and above) and then downscaled it to PS4 and Xbox One. Thats why the performance is so bad on those systems.

We're not disagreeing here. Cyberpunk was obviously built to run on high end PCs and next gen systems, with the PS4/XBO last gen versions done as an afterthought.

Halo infinite will likely be built to run on an XBO, with additional effects and features on XSS and XSX/PC. It won't look as pretty as a game designed for next gen, but the vast majority of people interested in playing that game won't be on next gen yet. Infinite will be fine. I don't expect it to knock anybody's socks off, but it will be solid and playable. The comparison to Cyberpunk is likely off base.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Cyberpunk is that it is still rushed out the door and with too many simultaneous versions. It's clear they really only had time to service the PC version somewhat reasonably for launch (and even that has issues that must be ironed out). All others are half-baked. While it is an indicator that launching on multiple consoles and the aging hardware of last gen poses a setback, I doubt Microsoft would make the same mistake there. But of course it's hard to say how much last gen would hold back the game at this point.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Here you go:

It's atrocious and CDPR hiding it up until release day is shameful.

Brutal lmao.

I think everyone predicted this would be the case, but it's really Far Cry 3 all over again. Thank goodness I have the One X to play my copy semi-stable this year, and it actually is kind of impressive that both next gen consoles are hitting 60fps in BC.

I don't think Halo would scale nearly as poorly, am like Destiny 2 they will eventually release content that is next gen only.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
The game already had the og xb1 as the baseline, if they want to push the XSX more, I can see they capping the single player at 30 fps or something, but cancelling it at this point is a bad move.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, when I think Halo, I never expect best in class graphics.
I don't blame you there, for not having those expectations. I don't have high expectations for Infinite being a graphical showpiece either, but to say Halo was never a graphical showpiece was incorrect.

In fact, I'd rather Halo focus more on its art design and clean visuals rather than focusing on overly detailed and busy designs to meet the expectation of graphical showpiece games. I'm glad tho with Infinite they seem to be striking a good balance so far.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't a good argument there. Halo Infinite doesn't even have half the ambition that Cyberpunk has. There's very lite that Halo Infinite could be doing if it was to cut Xbox One out of the picture, especially less than a year before release.

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
There isn't a good argument there. Halo Infinite doesn't even have half the ambition that Cyberpunk has. There's very lite that Halo Infinite could be doing if it was to cut Xbox One out of the picture, especially less than a year before release.
We can't really know that considering we know next to nothing about this game.

Oct 28, 2017
I guess people are forgetting that Xbox One S/PS4 are both lower than 2 TFLOPs, while Series X/PS5 are 10+ TFLOPs and the chances are low that a lot of effort will be put into making sure that a game will look fantastic on One S/PS4.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Halo 4 also had alot of flat textures, was extremily linear, had downgraded explosions/debris, ect.
I'm playing it for the first time right now in the MCC at 120hz. It's beautiful, linear or not. When I think PS3/360 era cutting edge graphics, I rarely find myself thinking about open world titles. Rather stuff like Uncharted 2, God of War, Gears 3, RE5, spring to mind over whatever GTA or AC were doing.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
And miss out on that 40 million+ install base to sell the game ?

It makes no business sense to not release on xbox one.

If the development went smoothly they would not be in this situation.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it was possible, keep the one x but stop with base xbox one but it will never happen. But hey they want that for money and reach a maximum of players.
Halo should run better anyway.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Do you reckon it will be 249 next holiday? Very cheap yeah, will probably sell a lot if timed with infinites release.

I just remembered that they said prices may not drop as fast or much as before.

But the perceived value would be adjusted. If you bought a console 5 years ago and there is a new entry at $249-300 that may entice people to join.