• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Eh.. kinda.
CP has PS consoles to develop for as well, which adds more complication.

Halo has just Xbox One consoles and Series consoles (and PC).
While I would rather they develop for the newer machines almost exclusively sooner, I also wonder if it would be as much of an issue porting to multiple xbox consoles. That and also feel for the people who can't get their hold on the console either down to stock issues or simply lacking the funds.
I also imagine they've already done so much work towards X1 versions as it is, they won't drop them now.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
This is probably a really naive comment but systems at play in Halo and what they are trying to do seem easier to scale. Like amount of enemies, draw distance, LOD quality, lighting and such.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Isnt the main issue with Cyberpunk than is a PC game being downgraded to the Xbox One versus Infinite than is basically an Xbox One game being sold as a Series X one?

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
You want to elaborate on that point? You might answer your own question.

PC players will have much slower storage I/O and, statistically, are most likely to be playing on hardware in the ballpark of a GTX 1060. By your definition, it's holding the game back and needs to be cancelled.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The thing is, even if they don't drop XB1 now they will have to eventually. Not long after release I'd wager, maybe by end of 2022. If Infinite is supposed to be a 10 year platform with constantly adding new campaigns and whatnot, they have to stop support XB1 at some point.

To me it makes sense to rip off the band aid now. By then most Xbox gamers will have a Series S or X, and if they don't, xcloud will also work on XB1 consoles by then and they can play Infinite that way (if their connection allows it). Just take the PR hit... I mean, when is their PR not being hit, just business as usual. I think you'd have an equal amount of people celebrating the final death of XB1.

May 25, 2019
London
PC players will have much slower storage I/O and, statistically, are most likely to be playing on hardware in the ballpark of a GTX 1060. By your definition, it's holding the game back and needs to be cancelled.

They can publish a minimum specs list for PC and handwave away anybody below those specs having issues. With the XBO, it's all or nothing.

Not even sure why I'm engaging with this bad faith argument

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, given the game's new release date, supply shouldn't be an issue. It's really just the PR at this point. They've been selling it hard as a cross-gen game. This isn't a Kickstarter project where they abandon the Vita version or something. This is a high profile AAA Halo game. Going back on that would be a PR disaster.

Even if supply is unlimited for both consoles next year they're not gonna sell 40M or 100M units in any case, and people who bought a One X with the promise of Halo being there expect it to be there.

So I think is a question of PR but also of money and of delivering on the promise to your customers. I don't see any positive of Halo skipping current gen consoles for MS.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Part of Staten's job is PR... it's probably the part he's best at.

A lot is clearly riding on this project
Oh, I'm not reading anything into him claiming it's the best halo ever or whatever, but I see no reason to think he's lying about the entire campaign having been playable months ago, and if so, I see no reason to think campaign wouldn't work totally fine on Xbox One. Again, this game started life there. Cyberpunk *clearly* didn't.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
No...fuck you with this elitist shit some gamers are displaying. Not everyone has the newest systems.

My nephew can't afford a series x/s right now but is really hyped for the new halo and will play it on his xbox one. I bet there are many people like him....

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
With Xcloud in the mix, they can afford to skip the old gen. You no longer need a console or even PC to play the games.

Or at least keep the SP next gen only.
This is what I was thinking. Let multiplayer be cross gen (it's F2P so there's no need to worry about how much that would cost on it's own), then let the campaign be next gen / PC only native while Xbox One users can still play it via xCloud. It's not a perfect compromise (for example not everyone has bandwidth or access to internet speeds that xCloud needs), but it might result in a better experience overall.

Last edited:

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
I was ok with it until it was revealed that infinite is the "next 10 years of halo." I see how adaptable the engine is since 343 can't stop gushing about how easy it is to update and create new assets within the game, which will undoubtedly come in handy for a game with a lengthy planned life cycle. Either way, how long can you ACTUALLY do that whilst supporting old crappy Jaguar cores at the same time. I mean, if they're gonna just straight up say at some point, "hey we see you like playing infinite on your og xbone. We thank you for playing, you can continue doing so with the content you have an most new multiplayer related map packs, but to download this newest campaign expansion you need a series s or x."

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it's a good example for Halo.

Halo Infinite seems like a game designed with Xbox One and PS4 in mind and ported forward to the new consoles.

Cyberpunk 2077 seems like a game designed with Xbox Series X and PS5 in mind and ported backwards to the old consoles.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
Yeah, I just bought an Xbox One X last year assuming that it would run Infinite just fine. That's partially why I jumped on PS5 first, despite being very attracted to the Game Pass value proposition. Wouldn't be too thrilled about this move. And I imagine I'm not alone with that sentiment.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Opposite. It would be nice not to pay a yearly fee for peer to peer gaming, but here we are.

Obviously I don't expect Xbox year 2028 games to be able to be played on the OG Xbone. But for the next year? LOL. Particularly when some of these game started on the old generation dev kits.

It's also ironic that releasing a scaled up and a scale down version games during a transition period of a year or two which happened *looks at calendar* every past generation even in the 8 bit era is now stopping 'progress' according to this article.

It's a dumb fucking point for clicks. Particularly since the jumping point for all of this is CD Projekt who have never dropped a bug ridden project before, lol

last time I checked for a sales breakdown for crossgen games, it wasn't impressive at all. Sports games like Fifa and NBA being cross gen for one or two years makes sense but I really want to see a breakdown of sales next year for games like Horizon 2 and Halo Infinite. Based off past figures I don't think it will be impressive in terms of xbox one and ps4 sales. The issue for most gamers is there's a trend to prolong the transition period at the expense of the software.

Also from a computer architecture perspective if there's any generation where the transition needs to be shorter its definitely this one. SSDs and zen 2 multicore CPUs with SMT is such a huge improvement. And the GPUs are beasts, theres no reason why they dont simply make ports for last gen.

If I simply wanted to play the same games at higher frame rates I'd buy a PC. But generally console gamers now want 4k at 30-60 and 120 in certain games with true next gen graphics. Very different market than PCs where framerates are the most important thing.

Tbh I'm not surprised PS5 is currently outperforming the Series X in terms of performance despite having the weaker APU. The idea they are asking devs to build for multiple SKUs just sounds like a PC move and its backfired so far. Sony is simply asking devs to develop for one SKU. I bet most third party devs will simply make the PS5 the platform of choice for development. This is why Halo Infinite should be a next gen game first then maybe they make a port for Xbox One players.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand why they're doing it, but it's just further proof that cross-gen is bullshit.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I think an in-house, first party effort is much different than a 3rd party, get the game on everything effort. You can't even compare. Also..

I have no doubt that the last two delays were due to the base consoles.

I think the delay was less about base consoles than the enormous amount of bugs within the game. It's like peeling an opinion. Find one bug and fix it, create three more.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
CP themselves. Do you have other records to share ?
No I meant the breakdown of the console sales. Like PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS5, etc. When I looked at cross gen sales on last gen(PS4 and Xbox One) they were generally not impressive at all!

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Halo 1 and 2 were, as well as Halo 4.
Halo 3 really pushed lighting. I'll go to bat for it any day as a graphical showpiece. Sure, it didn't push a lot of other aspects forwards, but their lighting was incredible for the time and was genuinely some cutting edge stuff. I think the only mainline game that isn't really a technical showcase at least in some regards, are Reach and 5.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Eh it's too late now. Besides the has to be on Xbone because of gamepass streaming.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think that's a great compromise. Make the MP stuff cross-gen, but have the campaign be next-gen only.

But it's kinda too late at this point, IMO. To go back on that marketing wouldn't be good PR.
Marketing dances a fine line at the best of times in this industry. Tell people they now getting one part of the game after the fact would be a marketing nightmare.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No...fuck you with this elitist shit some gamers are displaying. Not everyone has the newest systems.

My nephew can't afford a series x/s right now but is really hyped for the new halo and will play it on his xbox one. I bet there are many people like him....

It's a double edged sword though. Were there no last-gen versions of the game, the current-gen versions would be better for it, not just graphically and technically, but the studio would have had far more time, manpower and resources to put towards the game in terms of more content, fewer bugs, higher levels of polish etc.

So yes, your nephew couldn't afford it right away if it was current-gen only, but at least eventually when he did buy a new system/GPU etc, he'd have a better version of the game to enjoy than what we have now in this cross-gen version, not to mention it'd be cheaper for him too.

TLDR, cross-gen means everyone gets a worse version of the game than if it were current-gen only.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Marketing dances a fine line at the best of times in this industry. Tell people they now getting one part of the game after the fact would be a marketing nightmare.
I mean, the game has already been a marketing nightmare. Delays, subpar reveals, missed console launch.

Cutting off the cross-gen promise would just be another slap in the face.

This article is proof that you shouldn't hire just anyone to write an article.

A better article title would have been "Cyberpunk 2077 is proof that people need to remove CD Projekt Red from the pedestal they've been placed on"

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Why should they? Especially because they release the multiplayer for free. That's a ton of money they are able to make through microtransactions.

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3 really pushed lighting. I'll go to bat for it any day as a graphical showpiece. Sure, it didn't push a lot of other aspects forwards, but their lighting was incredible for the time and was genuinely some cutting edge stuff. I think the only mainline game that isn't really a technical showcase at least in some regards, are Reach and 5.
I feel you on Halo 3, it's just that game received so much backlash for things like faces, anti aliasing, etc., so I never really consider it in that convo. You do have a point though.

With Halo 5, the dynamic res and 60fps campaign was a big deal for Halo, at least. Not many 60fps games that can match Halo's more open sandbox and has 4p co-op at that time, at least not on console IIRC.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin

We arnt talking about a 1060 and HDD, we are talking about an 8 year old Jaguar CPU and an a very old 1.2 TF GPU AND a HDD.

Plus the customisation in the PC space means you can aim wherever you want and let the players decide if they have the hardware and what settings to run at.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes you just fly too close to the sun with a project.

It's clear the last gen consoles just aren't capable of running Cyberpunk 2077 and that's just sometimes the case. It is what it is. It's ambitious to even attempt it but, ultimately, not every piece of hardware will run every single game.

Does that mean Halo Infinite should skip XB1? Absolutely not, because it's a different project from a different studio.

There's plenty of examples of good last gen versions of games with much better next gen versions - Miles Morales immediately coming to mind.

Oct 30, 2017

hey man i am right there with you. i have my one x and i still feel like there's a lot of life left in it. irregardless, 343i should not renege on their original promise of producing a crossgen title.

lots of folks on ERA seem to be very unaware that circumstances exist beyond their own financial bubble.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
The original Halo was and so was Halo 4!! Halo 4 even had some better gun effects than what was shown in the Halo Infinite demo!!
Halo 1 and 2 were, as well as Halo 4.

I don't know, when I think Halo, I never expect best in class graphics. But then again I guess I was in the minority by thinking the Infinite demo looked fine.

Either way, it's not like they were ever going to push the game graphically to a point that it makes it unrealistic to scale to the base consoles.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is probably a statement you shouldn't make as a journalist until you've seen sales figures.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Multiplayer can run on the console. Maybe stream the campaign for free through x cloud. On a series x blade.