• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Signed
Forge will be limited to whatever budget xbox one can handle so that sucks.

Yep.

It goes well beyond framerate and resolution. The old consoles limit design, scope, scale, and implementation of certain systems in these games because of the antiquated hardware.

I'm sure the development process for many of these games involves constant discussions about what features and systems can or cannot be implemented based on the hardware limitations of the PS4/Xbox One.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
As much as it hurts to say it, the Xbox One family is dead and should be cut loose before it starts to do more harm than good to reputations and to the enjoyment people are getting from games.
The Xbox One is dead? It's been a month.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I actually think that's a great compromise. Make the MP stuff cross-gen, but have the campaign be next-gen only.

But it's kinda too late at this point, IMO. To go back on that marketing wouldn't be good PR.

If anything, the opposite should be done. It is far easier to support SP content cross-gen rather than MP content.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
These last gen consoles are going to be weighing down next gen games for some time, it's why I care a lot less about Horizon 2 and GOW2 knowing both are clearly coming to PS4. Scope is affected and technically there will be issues as well, it absolutely sucks. I think it's too late for Halo now to change scope so just go ahead and do the best you can with these limitations 343i.

Then once we get rid of last gen consoles the Series S is going to be right there dragging everything down in terms of multi-plat games, like the lowest common denominator it is.
Source that God of War is on PS4?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The 8 millions pre orders of CP (4M on consoles) is a proof they shoudn't (from an ecomonic perspective).

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What really stinks is this the last Halo game for awhile. Like this is gonna be a GAAS kinda thing, hence the title being Infinite and not 6. So the next 5+ years anything added to this game is gonna be weighed down by an underpowered CPU from 2013.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk runs at 1080p/60 FPS on Series X because it's the Xbox One version of the game.
... kind of. The Xbox One version of the game doesn't have a 60fps option at all. So some work has already been put into the Series S|X version to provide a "Performance" option.
343i is building a dedicated version of Infinite for the Series X|S.

It doesn't change the fact that there may ultimately be design restrictions and removals from all versions of the game based on the limitations of the Xbox One hardware.
If there are design restrictions due to the Xbox One version of the game existing, those restrictions aren't going to go away between now and next Fall. Cancelling the Xbox One version isn't going to meaningfully change the design of the game less than a year from release.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
What really stinks is this the last Halo game for awhile. Like this is gonna be a GAAS kinda thing, hence the title being Infinite and not 6. So the next 5+ years anything added to this game is gonna be weighed down by an underpowered CPU from 2013.
It is probably gonna be like Destiny that out one point the new content stops on Xbox One.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Red Dead 2 kind of kills this argument. It is still probably the best looking game on high end PC hardware and hit a solid 30 fps on base consoles.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Doing so would be tantamount to doing two things:
  • Forgoing somewhere between 3-5M units in sales (conservatively $140M - $230M in revenue)
  • Admitting that the strategy of not having generations was flawed.
I don't think either of those is likely.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
With the game starting as a XBO project and there being less than a year till launch it won't matter much if they'll drop XBO version now, it will still have the DNA of XBO game so to speak.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
They already confirmed about 60% were on PC, but yeah, the other 3 million or so are definitely mostly current-gen console owners and I suspect more will follow via retail sales.

Plus most of those Steam players will be (based on surveys) playing on GTX 1060s or 1050 Tis. Minimum spec is a GTX 780.

Jan 4, 2018
I don't think that's happening. There may still a lot of Game Pass suscribers still playing on Xbox One by fall 2021 and you need to keep them engaged by adding new games on the Game Pass on Xbox Series but also Xbox One (and Halo will be great game for that).

At least the multiplayer component.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You could argue Xbox One usage numbers should decide this but then you are basing that on a trajectory more than a year out. I definetly think it's possible they have and are considering it. If say Staten or whoever says, we can't do this, long term this is an issue, the game would be better, you can't not consider it I suppose. They could do a Destiny, Xbox One gets short term support then Series S/X/PC from there on.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way this is happening, but Microsoft isn't going to put a last-gen port as appalling as Cyberpunk anyway.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I agree with Win Central, but why not make it a streaming option through Xcloud? They should be doing this anyways.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Theres no way the flagship franchise title of MS gonna be playable on fucking Android and not on base xbox,the game or some form of it is gonna be released however bad it looks.

It's streamed on android not running native so the comparison is mute as the Xbox one can also stream it.

They ain't happening I'm just highlighting the invalid comparison.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think this will be their first xCloud game. Will only run on old consoles via a new xCloud app. Included free with GP.

will run native on the new consoles but via the app for the old ones.

it's how you can support the old consoles and it's via Gamepass. You only lose out on console owners who would only play the game offline which is going to be a very small number. It leans on your infrastructure and is how you can make a live service gsme work across all platforms.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Cyberpunk also proof that Miles Morales should skip PS4? Does it prove that Horizon 2 should skip PS4?

One developer's failing on the base model does not mean it's an inadequate platform for other developers.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Cyberpunk is a PC game with a console version. It's pretty clear they were uncompromising in their vision, and making it work on Xbox One wasn't exactly a #1 priority. The game has all the qualities of a "downport". Halo Infinite was targeting the Xbox One from the start, so I expect it to have the opposite problem- it won't look very impressive on the Series X, but it'll run fine on the Xbox One.

Had they known it was gonna be a late 2021 game when they made those initial engineering decisions, I'm sure things would be different. Halo will probably look "poor" compared to next-gen games next year.

I personally don't care that much as long as it looks good, polished, and is fun as hell on Series X. But a proper next-gen Halo would be nice, and I think Infinite being a platform will be a poor decision in the long run as well.

Gwyn

Oct 25, 2017
Is Cyberpunk also proof that Miles Morales should skip PS4? Does it prove that Horizon 2 should skip PS4?

One developer's failing on the base model does not mean it's an inadequate platform for other developers.

Any of those games you mentioned target 60fps locked + split screen, large scale multiplayer mode or forge to build maps?

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Cyberpunk 2077 sucks on Xbox One because of the developers. There's bigger and better games running at a better performance on the console.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, the opposite should be done. It is far easier to support SP content cross-gen rather than MP content.

IMO Halo Infinite will only be on XBO/XBX via xCloud. It will be their first massive implementation of xCloud and considering they are rolling it out across mobile etc the infrastructure is already there.

It will run native/offline on the new consoles but only streaming on the old ones. If you care about supporting MP content cross gen you are assuming that everyone who cares about that is online as its the only way they will play MP. If they are online to play MP, they can stream the game. Your only concern is around SP only XBO players which I don't think MS is worried about as infinite is meant to be a long tail game.

I believe MS will be debuting a new dash for XBO which includes an xCloud section. This will allow you to play old and new games via streaming. The XBO will be converted to a streaming box for next gen games. MS doesn't cut off their old base (people can pay for GP or buy the games to stream) while at the same time having flexibility going forward. There is no reason to do it via mobile and not the console.

I'm going to put the above at around 90% the plan.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you are playing on an OG Xbox One than I think Graphical fidelity is maybe not your highest priority.

I know Cyberpunk is kind of borked on those consoles right now but as long as you can get your vision of the game to work on those older consoles I don't know why you would skip them. I don't think OG Xbox one player is going to care if the game is running at 30FPS, a lower resolution and missing shadows and other graphical features.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Halo Infinite isn't going for the same density and detail of open world as cyberpunk, and quite frankly won't be anywhere near as sophisticated with its engine... stupid comparison to be frank

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Yes it needs to be cancelled at this point.

MS have made many short sighted decisions in the past decade. I hope they avoid this one.

Halo being the very best it can be on the new machines out the gate will be way more beneficial long term.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing that something like Horizon 2 is coming to PS4 I think the XB1 version will be fine. I think the campaign will be pretty steady 30fps and 720p-900p dynamic res.

Nov 1, 2017
Hang on a second. Didn't Windows Central give Cyberpunk a 10/10? You don't get to give a game a "perfect" review score and then start bitching about how it doesn't run properly on an OG Xbox One meaning that other cross gen games should skip the previous gen. Either the Xbox One is competent enough to run a demanding game or it isn't, make your mind up. Because surely they wouldn't have given Cyberpunk a 10/10 if it ran poorly and had lots of bugs, right? Oh.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hang on a second. Didn't Windows Central give Cyberpunk a 10/10? You don't get to give a game a "perfect" review score and then start bitching about how it doesn't run properly on an OG Xbox One meaning that other cross gen games should skip the previous gen. Either the Xbox One is competent enough to run a demanding game or it isn't, make your mind up. Because surely they wouldn't have given Cyberpunk a 10/10 if it ran poorly and had lots of bugs, right? Oh.
They reviewed the pc version. Also one person reviewing doesnt mean the same person made this article.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any of those games you mentioned target 60fps locked + split screen, large scale multiplayer mode or forge to build maps?
Cyberpunk isn't any of those things either though. Kind of hard to demand an apples-to-apples comparison when the thread is already premised around comparing an orange to an apple.

They've already committed years of development to an Xbox One version of Infinite, and explicitly told consumers that it will arrive on the platform. Pre-orders have already started. A lot of peoples' continued GamePass subscriptions are premised around being able to get Infinite. Maintaining a large, healthy community for the game's multiplayer will almost certainly require supporting legacy hardware rather than forcing people to upgrade.

It's ridiculous to suggest that they should trash all of their work and renege on their commitments to customers just because a complately different developer chose to rush out an unpolished product to meet the holidays. Cyberpunk doesn't prove that the Xbox One is incapable of handling Halo Infinite, it just proves that CDPR doesn't really give a fuck about meeting a particular set of performance/visual/QA standards.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This.

Especially this with Infinite being a 10 year platform. Like even the updated visuals arent wowing me now. This game is going to feel frustratingly bottlenecked by legacy systems. It's an absurd plan.

perhaps make MP cross play, but even there it'll have effects

Oct 25, 2017
Well I don't know if 2077 is indicative of anything in regards to halo, but as someone with an xbox one who has not jumped into next gen yet, I'd be okay with it not being on XB1. Go for it!

They could do like COD has done before. Have the (free to play) multiplayer be cross-plat, but lock campaign to next-gen.
That way they can still get maximum microtransaction reach with multiplayer, but maximum fidelity in single player.

Especially considering they want Infinite to be a long lived platform. Don't tie that entire platform down to last gen.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Just do what black ops 3 did. The last gen consoles only got multiplayer. Make the complete package available on the Series consoles.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it needs to be cancelled at this point.

MS have made many short sighted decisions in the past decade. I hope they avoid this one.

Halo being the very best it can be on the new machines out the gate will be way more beneficial long term.

Should they cancel the PC version as well?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Too late for that. I really feel for the devs though. Xbox one S, Xbox one X, Xbox Serie S, Xbox Serie X, PC...

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
IF the game ends up slipping again into a Winter/Spring 2022 (Unlikely, but not out of the question), I could see them either killing the Xbox One version or just doing multiplayer on it, but it would be a really bad look on their part.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Based on what I'm reading, Cyberpunk's issues sound like it has more to do with the game being developed for PC first and then scaled down to the low end consoles. I've not got any insider insight, don't get me wrong, but that's the sense I get. Infinite started out being developed for Xbox One, so I don't see why it'd be an issue at all.

According to this the campaign was/is close to complete, from the perspective of gameplay and level design.

Joseph Staten said:
My first week on the job, I played the entire Infinite campaign. Twice. I was, in a word, stunned—in the best possible way—by what the team had done. Infinite is, by far, the most expansive and vertical Halo world, ever. Why did the team do this? Because they understand that wonder and freedom are key to the Halo experience.

I could feel the classic Halo "30 seconds of fun" beating at the heart of Infinite's world. But I had never felt more powerful, more mobile, more in command of a rich set of tactical choices. This was the Halo we imagined back in 2000, finally come to life, after 20 years of technical and creative innovation.

Sure, there were bugs in the build and clearly more work to do.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
How does Cyberpunk actually run on the One S and One X? None of the blurbs in the OP provide that context. The vast majority of PSN and XBL/Gamepass subscribers are stuck on last gen until next gen consoles are readily available, dictating all games to be next gen exclusive when they don't have to be, would be like making a game exclusive to the RTX 3080.
Here you go:

It's atrocious and CDPR hiding it up until release day is shameful.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Part of Staten's job is PR... it's probably the part he's best at.

A lot is clearly riding on this project