• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 has endured some lengthy delays, just like Microsoft's own Halo Infinite, now pushed back at least a year. And based on the Cyberpunk 2077 launch, some real questions should be asked over putting it on the Xbox One at all.

Now, more than ever, a decision has to be made: Halo Infinite should not be released on the Xbox One for the sake of the fans, the money they're going to spend on it, and the time they will invest.

Sure, Halo Infinite now isn't coming out until the back end of 2021, so there's plenty of time to get it right. But based on the showcase earlier this year and the ensuing memes, is launching on Xbox One really something Microsoft can afford to do?

By the time Halo Infinite launches, the Xbox Series X and Series S will have been on sale for at least a year. There's every likelihood that Halo Infinite will look and play amazingly well on the new consoles. Everything about them is better. Cyberpunk 2077 hasn't even been patched for Series X yet but still seems to hit a consistent 60-ish FPS because the performance mode paired with the sheer horsepower allows for it.

Halo Infinite has already endured a troubled birth. Can Microsoft really afford to take the risk of low frame rates, poor textures and low resolution, coupled with the arduous loading times the old consoles have, when it pushes out arguably its most important new game in years?

I don't think it's worth it.

As much as it hurts to say it, the Xbox One family is dead and should be cut loose before it starts to do more harm than good to reputations and to the enjoyment people are getting from games. What's the point in spending money on a game you won't enjoy because the hardware you have just can't handle it?

PC gamers have had to fight with this forever. You can try every trick in the book, but sometimes you just have to admit defeat and either not play or upgrade your hardware.

Is it worth chancing bad press and bad reviews? Especially in a game that is, apparently, the future of Halo for the next decade? No experience is better than a bad experience.

I am mixed on it. On one hand i understand and on the other hand you cant really compare both games. For example i think the Arena MP mode would be fine on xbox one. Open world stuff maybe difficult.

Cyberpunk 2077 is proof Halo Infinite should skip the Xbox One | Windows Central

Last edited:

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I am mixed on it. On one hand i understand and on the other hand you cant really compare both games. For example i think the Arena MP mode would be fine on xbox one. Open world stuff maybe difficult.
I actually think that's a great compromise. Make the MP stuff cross-gen, but have the campaign be next-gen only.

But it's kinda too late at this point, IMO. To go back on that marketing wouldn't be good PR.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
A lot of 2021 open world games are going to be a proof as well.

I really don't know how Dying Light 2, Far Cry 6 or Gotham Knights are going to run on One S and PS4 at this point.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Could be another reason for the lengthy delay, to lengthen the gap between the new systems and make it easier to drop the old hardware. I hope they do.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think that's a great compromise. Make the MP stuff cross-gen, but have the campaign be next-gen only.

But it's kinda too late at this point, IMO. To go back on that marketing wouldn't be good PR.
I think one of the CODs did this last gen? Have the full experience be PS4/X1 only, but the multiplayer was available on the prior gen as well

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Probably too late for that now.

I feel this is more of a Cyberpunk 2077 specific problem, as for whatever reason that game is a car crash on last gen whereas other games released in 2020 don't have this issue.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Campaign only on XSX|S and PC can work.

MP is going to be scalable and can work on Xbox One

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
How does Cyberpunk actually run on the One S and One X? None of the blurbs in the OP provide that context. The vast majority of PSN and XBL/Gamepass subscribers are stuck on last gen until next gen consoles are readily available, dictating all games to be next gen exclusive when they don't have to be, would be like making a game exclusive to the RTX 3080.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
But wasn't the whole marketing push that first party games will be cross generational for a few years? I don't think they'll go back on that promise.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk just launched today. Knowing CD Projekt, they go above and beyond with titles updates.

What a hot take.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
How does Cyberpunk actually run on the One S and One X? None of the blurbs in the OP provide that context. The vast majority of PSN and XBL/Gamepass subscribers are stuck on last gen until next gen consoles are readily available, dictating all games to be next gen exclusive when they don't have to be, would be like making a game exclusive to the RTX 3080.

CP2077 runs really bad on One S and base PS4.

One X and Pro is an improvement.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I kinda agree, but they could also just leave the xbox one version running pretty bad and leave at that. Still playable if you really want to.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With Xcloud in the mix, they can afford to skip the old gen. You no longer need a console or even PC to play the games.

Or at least keep the SP next gen only.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It runs terrible on base. On One X abit iffy. We cant really say much more about cyberpunk outside the OT.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
supply problem they said will be alot better in spring. So in fall they should be have a more consistent suppy.
Yeah, given the game's new release date, supply shouldn't be an issue. It's really just the PR at this point. They've been selling it hard as a cross-gen game. This isn't a Kickstarter project where they abandon the Vita version or something. This is a high profile AAA Halo game. Going back on that would be a PR disaster.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Its to late for it make any real diff in the game. Chances are the year delay will just speed up the dropping of the x1. So they may get the inital release but anything else is skipping it

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Dropping the Xbox One a year from release isn't going to transform the game. It was built with last gen in mind

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still questioning myself how they want to do that "Halo Infinite as a platform" approach for the planned 10 years, if they have to support the Xbox One version, as well. They have to cut off the support for Xbox One, at some point or this wouldn't make any sense.

PS: Theorry you forgot to add a source/link to the article.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
those preorders are definetly not only from Next Gen Systems and high end PC owners...

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I mean the game they probably have something servicable up and running on Xbone given how the game initially looked, and that was their intention. They should just optimise that version for current gen and upgrade for next gen. Cyberpunk was obviously created with PC in mind. It is just too much to handle for current gen. Wicher 3 had its issues on base consoles, and this is doing a lot more.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still questioning myself how they want to do that "Halo Infinite as a platform" approach for the planned 10 years, if they have to support the Xbox One version, as well. They have to cut off the support for Xbox One, at some point or this wouldn't make any sense.

PS: Theorry you forgot to add a source/link to the article.
I was sure i did. Thanks. :)

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I mean, Halo Infinite is coming out holiday 2021. Obviously it should skip Xbox One. How is this even a question?

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I wonder how they will do in the future since this is aiming to be a GaaS game from the start, a relaunch to support a new version of the engine?
Fortnite is going to do that with UE5, but (I think) we don't know how much will change the crossgen ecosystem in the game.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's not as if the concept of 'scale' and videogaming is unheard of. in the PC space you have a wide variety of games running on a wide variety of software since it's inception.

I actually like the fact this gen felt like an upgrade as opposed to starting from scratch; from not having to throw away my old controllers to playing an upgraded last Gen on my Series X..and switch to playing it on my old S in my office when my fiance takes over the living room tv.

I get if the tech gap gets to big which will happen in a couple of years but considering we aren't even a month into this gen...that's a future problem.

Because let's be honest, Cyberpunk would have been a buggy piece of shit either way. Which is why the next gen versions are coming out next year, lol.
Lets not act like lowering resolution and frame rate with shittier textures is some insurmountable task.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Halo is the only franchise on Xbox that I love, so I got a PS5 at launch counting on my Xbox One X to do the job. I would be crushed if they cancelled the Xbox One version now

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Maybe it's too late because of the amount of dev work, but it would be great.

Series S + Gamespass is the lowest cost of entry into the game which isn't too bad

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. Infinite is nowhere near as technically ambitious as 2077 plus 343 is actually taking the time to launch the game in a working state.

Bad take. The game was designed withXBO in mind. Canning it now does nothing.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
If Microsoft does that, it'll be a repeat of last gen. They aren't stupid. If anyone can squeeze the maximum potential out of the Xbox One, it's them.

It won't look or run as well as it will on the Series X, but it'll sell way more copies on the Xbox One at release.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Infinite is nowhere near as complex as CP2077 though. I agree with the premise but not using CP2077 as the reason why.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I wonder how they will do in the future since this is aiming to be a GaaS game from the start, a relaunch to support a new version of the engine?
Fortnite is going to do that with UE5, but (I think) we don't know how much will change the crossgen ecosystem in the game.

They will cut support for One after a couple of years, like what Rockstar did for GTA 5.

The MP component is still going to be F2P and accessible to everyone on PC and Xbox Series X and S, they ain't going to lose a lot if in 2022 they stop updating the One SKU.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
They need to just do a witcher 3 on switch esque port for base xbox one, series version should be the main version and the focus. If it's coming out fall 2021 and meant to live for 10 years, it's fucking ridiculous to be held back by 8 year old hardware.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
they've already shown that they actually made a game that they can scale down to run on xbox one, and have already gotten shit for it, so no reason to cancel that version now

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely too late now, but to me the only argument for not doing it on Xbox One is that they want this to be a 10 year long project. If they are committed to that it would make more sense to me to do it only on the Series s/X and possibly One X. I think Graphic's wise they can pull it off on the old hardware, I think it's worth dropping the One down to 30fps if it means a better looking game.