• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's exciting to see comments on ray tracing as well. With such a beefy GPU, it sounds like Series X won't have to compromise on RT too much to maintain steady framerates. I imagine an inevitable mid-gen Series X2 would be even more RT-focused.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
That's the same as saying they are cutting 160m console players. PC gamers get the same time frame for buying a SSD, as console players buying a next gen console
console players are used to it, pc gamers do not take kindly to being walled off of things. Xbox game studios games are generally very well optimized for a broad range of PC specs and if Lockhart is a thing that definitely won't change.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I like to hear. I can't wait.

Yeah....who would have thought the SSD would have them the most excited.....

That's the fundamental change vs previous generations. Its a no brainer they would be more excited about that.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Then you're cutting off hundreds of millions of customers on PC.
The first games to require SSDs on PC will likely be big budget AAA games known for pushing PC hardware. PC games should know what to expect, and understand that their systems' capability won't last indefinitely. PC gamers have adapted before, and they'll adapt again. The move to multi-core CPUs, VRAM requirements, etc. Each of those has required a significant investment, but that's part of PC gaming.

I expect mechanical HDD's and 2GB or less VRAM are both on the cutting room floor, and I'd think PC gamers in this situation will be looking to upgrade in order to play the games that want to play.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
More powerful CPU and GPU have always been hallmarks of a new generation. SSD is the new piece of hardware so its obvious they are excited about that. Can't wait to see how faster I/O speeds enable in these nextgen machines.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
console players are used to it, pc gamers do not take kindly to being walled off of things. Xbox game studios games are generally very well optimized for a broad range of PC specs and if Lockhart is a thing that definitely won't change.
Lockhart has a NVMe SSD.

Again, SSDs are mandatory for next generation games. They are a huge part of the generational leap. Scaling and optimization can take you from 4.8 GB/s and instant access to 2.2 GB/s, maybe even 500 MB/s, and instant access, but it can't get you to 70 MB/s and 50ms to access.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wdym this kind of stuff has definitely happend before. Not like games are still made with last gen gpus in mind.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest thing?

This means that across the board we should expect both next gen consoles to utilize the SSD, I/O alot. More than some think.

That gives me hope for 3rd party games.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Moon studios is excited to bring ori to 120 fps on series x lol mentioned by thomas before, oh boy, that will be a treat!!!

*googles 120hz monitors with hdmi 2.1
*googles it all wrong because i have no idea what i'm supposed to look for with a monitor.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Coalition
With the Xbox Series X, out of the gate, we reduced our load-times by more than 4x without any code changes. With the new DirectStorage APIs and new hardware decompression, we can further improve I/O performance and reduce CPU overhead, both of which are essential to achieve fast loading. As we look to the future, the Xbox Series X's Sampler Feedback for Streaming (SFS) is a game-changer for how we think about world streaming and visual level of detail. We will be exploring how we can use it in future titles to both increase the texture detail in our game beyond what we can fit into memory, as well as reduce load times further by increasing on-demand loading to just before we need it, instead of pre-loading everything up-front as we would use a more traditional 'level loading' approach.

CraftyTheseFossa-size_restricted.gif

Just goes to show XSX isn't brute forcing anything. The tech in XSX is using new very advanced features that pushes rendering capabilities even further than before and more efficiently

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Next gen will be crazy, I really hope to see some really cool and innovative designs that are only possible thanks to these new SSDs right off the bat. This could seriously become one of the most exciting jumps we've had for many generations

Deleted member 65994

Banned
Apr 14, 2020
It's not about being used to it. Console gamers recognize themself that it's time to move on fron 7 year old hardware to new hardware, they buy the next console because they want to, not because they need to. And it the PC space, it isnt much different than moving on from a outdatet gpu to a new gpu, but instead it's now about a outdatet hdd to a ssd.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
It's not about being used to it. Console gamers recognize themself that it's time to move on fron 7 year old hardware to new hardware, they buy the next console because they want to, not because they need to. And it the PC space, it isnt much different than moving on from a outdatet gpu to a new gpu, but instead it's now about a outdatet hdd to a ssd.
And I agree, I just don't see SSD adoption on PC as a requirement happening soon but it will happen.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Drive-by posting, trolling
Pretty impressive for a system Phil made by getting parts at his local best buy.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Next gen will be crazy, I really hope to see some really cool and innovative designs that are only possible thanks to these new SSDs right off the bat. This could seriously become one of the most exciting jumps we've had for many generations

You will see this in small, experimental indie games probably, but not for big budget AAA games since those will mostly be cross gen.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It'll happen gradually, rather than all at once. And I wouldn't expect too much of a negative reaction to it. This happens all the time in PC gaming. One day you've got the recommended specs in your PC, later you've got the minimum, then one (or more) components falls below that and it's time for upgrades.

I imagine the initial shift will be to a SATA SSD requirement. We're already seeing this in Ideal/recommended specs for several games, it's only a matter of time (I'd bet 2 years or less) before that first big game comes out that requires it as a minimum spec - we can already see how Star Citizen performs without an SSD (SC min specs actually do not state SSD).

Exactly. All the time. Minimum requirements going up is nothing new.
The QoL improvements that come with the SSD's will be glorious. I cannot wait for the moment of unpacking a brand new next gen console, plugging it in and booting it up for the first time, instantly charging up games and flippen through the UI and store. I will probably just do that for the first hour instead of playing.

Yup. Broken record time....but my wish in the speculation threads was suspend, resume multiple games. When MS dropped that bomb I lost it, lol.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Look like with Ram GDDR6 at 560Go/s and Velocity Architecture (SFS,DirectStorage,BCpack,Custom SSD) first Party developers will have a lot of room to push the Series X.

The raw power is already incredible but it can do much better beyond the hardware.

Mesh shaders
VRS
DXR
Velocity Architecture

lot of innovative software tech.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Look like with Ram GDDR6 at 560Go/s and Velocity Architecture (SFS,DirectStorage,BCpack,Custom SSD) first Party developers will have a lot of room to push the Series X.

The raw power is already incredible but it can do much better beyond the hardware.

Mesh shaders
VRS
DXR
Velocity Architecture

lot of innovative software tech.
The UE4 sharing between studios is gonna be great also. Like Coalition is probably the best now UE4, combine that with Ninja Theory, Rare, Playground, Obsidian, The Initiative.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I like how you think developers are going to prioritize things they want (SSD) over actually selling their games to as many people as possible. These devs have formed an SSD death cult!
I think they'll effectively be mandatory. As in the games will still run, but you'll get frequent loading screens at the most awkward places. We'll have minimum requirements, recommended requirements, and then a blurb saying 'SSD highly recommended.'

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Not really any new and exciting info nor is there any crazy hyperbole about power that we didn't already know, but it's nice that someone is asking devs about the Xbox.

OP
OP
Dimple

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
The UE4 sharing between studios is gonna be great also. Like Coalition is probably the best now UE4, combine that with Ninja Theory, Rare, Playground, Obsidian, The Initiative.
And Compulsion, Double Fine, InXile, and Undead Labs, crazy how many studios they have working on the same engine.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Can't wait to see some games in action. Even if it's going to take a couple years to really take full advantage of this beast.

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Thread Derailment
Who would thought that SSD and I/O processing was the really big deal in the next-gen.
It's almost like Mark Cerny prioritized and gave them exactly what they wanted this whole time...

I think some people are underestimating just how much those 2 things together (i.e., super fast SSD + hardware/software accelerated I/O processing) will contribute to new possibilities in game design and gameplay-based interactions. Nothing like this is implemented or utilized to any significant extent currently, not even on PC.

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Really looking forward to seeing the games. Series X seems so balanced. It seems extremely well specd in every department.

Sklaary

Mar 21, 2020
Really interesting article. I love how they praise the SSD and RT.
But now it's really time to show the games soon. It really becomes a bit boring to read how awesome the next gen is and not to see some actual gameplay