• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I was pretty critical of Jez's tweets due to him seemingly dismissing some issues, but I'm glad he reached out to some people at Xbox to get some clarification. I'll reference the interesting tidbits.
www.windowscentral.com

This weekend's Xbox outage put Microsoft's DRM back in the spotlight

Lengthy disruption across the weekend raised the specter of Xbox One's 2013 DRM.

Seems like you can't just simply download a game digitally, disconnect, and have it work. You need to launch the game at least once to get your offline license. This could explain MVG unable to open Ori and the Blind Forest in his notorious video. I thought this was the same for other systems, but I might be mistaken. I would like to see Xbox maybe grant you the offline license while you download the game to clear up any confusion.

EDIT: This seems to be how Steam works.
In a conversation with Ashley McKissick, Xbox CVP for Gaming Experiences and Platforms, I discovered a little bit more about how game licenses work on the console. In order to receive an offline license for a digital game (which lasts forever on Xbox consoles once downloaded), you have to have launched the game at least once. In the case of disc-based games, McKissick confirmed that these pull the license from the disc itself. However, some users may have found that running backward-compatible Xbox One games on an Xbox Series X|S may have still failed to launch from the disc during this outage, since they need to pull down some compatibility settings on the first load.

Like some people have speculated, the reason some people couldn't play games was due to a system trying to connect to the server bug. Glad to see that they're looking to release a patch.
Indeed, any scenario where offline games on your home console, digital or disc-based, could ever become inaccessible owing to DRM, isn't acceptable in my view. And indeed, it was confirmed to me that the inability to play offline games on your home console was not intentional, and merely the result of the server problems that Microsoft is working to patch.

Last edited:

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Didn't affect me this go around but this is one of those things that could be a real easy win of an announcement.

No single player component of a game should require online connections at all to function period, whether at the game level or system level.

Announce you're working on fixing this leading up to or at your June showcase MS. You're supposed to be the theoretical "good guy" of the trillion dollar corporations.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Fuck that bs system Microsoft has right now. For all the amazing benefits their ecosystem has, this one is enough to scare off just about anyone.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Didn't affect me since this go around but this is one of those things that could be a real easy win of an announcement. No single player component of a game should require online connections at all to function period whether at the game level or system level.
They don't. One could argue that the way to get granted your offline license (having to launch a game at least once) should be changed, but the system was not designed to require an online connection for any game. What happened was a server/system issue that will be patched.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
In order to receive an offline license for a digital game (which lasts forever on Xbox consoles once downloaded), you have to have launched the game at least once.
I'm assuming they're saying you have to have launched the game once with an internet connection.

This isn't communicated to customers in any way in the UI and it's completely counterintuitive. Microsoft needs to grant offline licenses on purchase. Fixing server issues is only a bandaid fix.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
This isn't communicated to customers in any way in the UI and it's completely counterintuitive. Microsoft needs to grant offline licenses on purchase. Fixing server issues is only a bandaid fix.
I agree. I believe they should have an offline mode that extends to system setup, they need to grant offline licenses on purchase or download, and they should have a default configuration for Xbox One games at a system level.

Not sure how feasible the third one is without knowing the architecture of their system. However, there should be a way to play Xbox One disc games without having to be connected to the internet for the first time, even if you don't get all the fancy features.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how feasible the third one is without knowing the architecture of their system. However, there should be a way to play Xbox One disc games without having to be connected to the internet for the first time, even if you don't get all the fancy features.
I can't imagine it would be difficult to grant the offline license on download instead of first-boot. The reason they never did is likely just them overlooking the possibility; they assume that if someone buys something digitally (via the Internet) that they'll fire it up shortly afterwards, which would give them the offline license. But a lot of people (myself included) don't always do that, so it would be better to include the license with the initial download.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
First major L for Xbox in a while so this one is gonna stand out big time. And it should. I was over here spamming the tiles on my dashboard until I could just ram through and get connected to titles I own. Utterly ridiculous.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming they're saying you have to have launched the game once with an internet connection.

This isn't communicated to customers in any way in the UI and it's completely counterintuitive. Microsoft needs to grant offline licenses on purchase.

Exactly, it should be transparent to the end user, we shouldn't even have to go and find some stupid 'offline mode' setting to turn on, it should just work; that's how most of their other celebrated features work, this one is just outdated and needs attention over the other silly stuff they're messing around with at the moment.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Not sure about other consoles, but this is also how Steam's DRM works.
Jez suggested in the article that the Xbox One architecture was designed to be really similar to Steam. Could be remnants of that?

Whether you trust platform holders or not, DRM on consoles is ripe for a bit of modernization. Steam already allows up to 10 users across 10 authorized PCs to library share at a system level, which is by far more user-friendly than what console platforms are offering today, although it comes at the cost of being able to resell any of those games. Ironically, Microsoft was planning to offer this functionality with the launch version of the Xbox One in 2013, alongside the ability to resell games at "participating retailers." Consumers at large rejected it because the simplicity of physical ownership is an embedded part of the console tradition.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Terrible look for any company so into the digital ecosystem, and regardless of the cause or the 'set as home, go offline' fixes, there's no excuse for it.

I also wonder how many publishers have received support tickets over the weekend. Can't imagine they're too happy with getting irate messages about something that they had literally nothing to do with, and no control over.

Edit: Especially given MS's own status pages appeared to show no issues throughout?

Last edited:

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Jez suggested in the article that the Xbox One architecture was designed to be really similar to Steam. Could be remnants of that?
A lot of the current issues are probably holdovers from the Xbox One. Keeping the same OS and general set up probably meant keeping the caveats too. I said it before but the 2013 Xbox One disaster fix was just a bandaid, and they never saw fit to address it properly imo.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
First major L for Xbox in a while so this one is gonna stand out big time. And it should. I was over here spamming the tiles on my dashboard until I could just ram through and get connected to titles I own. Utterly ridiculous.

I'm primarily an Xbox user. I have all of my games digitally, and my console is not my home console. As such I had a brick. Claiming this as a "Major L" is a stretch. I'm not saying it doesn't need to be fixed, or that it isn't a problem. It absolutely is, but this is fringe stuff. I asked some friends who have series s consoles if they noticed anything and out of like 6 one said they thought there was something wrong and couldn't play.

Again, yes, it is an issue, and yes it needs to be fixed.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm primarily an Xbox user. I have all of my games digitally, and my console is not my home console. As such I had a brick. Claiming this as a "Major L" is a stretch. I'm not saying it doesn't need to be fixed, or that it isn't a problem. It absolutely is, but this is fringe stuff. I asked some friends who have series s consoles if they noticed anything and out of like 6 one said they thought there was something wrong and couldn't play.

Again, yes, it is an issue, and yes it needs to be fixed.
Being locked out of goods you've purchased and having that issue persist for 2-3 days for many users is a pretty significant consumer-facing issue. It gets magnified when it happens over a weekend as well. When you did a check with your friends, 1/6 couldn't play and if you include yourself, it's 2/7. It's not a good look for Xbox at all.

MarinZero

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2022
I had no idea there were issues this weekend, but I get what they are saying. It has happened to me when the Internet goes out like once every 4 months, and it's annoying. I share accounts with a Series S on my same home, I shouldn't have games locked out on me because of the DRM.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I had no idea there were issues this weekend, but I get what they are saying. It has happened to me when the Internet goes out like once every 4 months, and it's annoying. I share accounts with a Series S on my same home, I shouldn't have games locked out on me because of the DRM.
Sharing accounts means whichever console isn't your home console will not be able to play your games with no internet, this isn't exclusive to Xbox.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Well if Steam, the golden standard of digital marketplaces, works this way then I have no qualms with having to launch the game once while online.

EDIT: Turns out that most Xbox games don't need you to be online first before you launch them.

Last edited:

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020

Yep! If you're going to put this requirement on players, the system better be fucking bulletproof on your end. And since it can't be, the requirement shouldn't be there.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I just tried starting two games I've never played before on my Steam Deck while in Offline mode, and both worked fine (Lumines Remastered and Katamari Damacy Reroll). So whatever the Steam restriction is, it doesn't apply to all games.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Well if Steam, the golden standard of digital marketplaces, works this way then I have no qualms with having to launch the game once while online.
Does it though? I've installed games on my Steam Deck that I've launched directly offline after, and it worked

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I just tried starting two games I've never played before on my Steam Deck while in Offline mode, and both worked fine (Lumines Remastered and Katamari Damacy Reroll). So whatever the Steam restriction is, it doesn't apply to all games.
Most games require an initial start-up while connected to the Steam Network before they will work in offline mode. If your game's status is "100% - Ready", but you receive the message "This game cannot be started in Offline Mode" when attempting to play offline, the Steam client and/or game files need to be updated.
Steam states "most" games, so I'm sure there are definitely exceptions.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
That sort of explains the one nuance like if you have a game on your hard drive and switch it to another console. When you launch it it says preparing to start and I think that's when it pulls a license.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
That sort of explains the one nuance like if you have a game on your hard drive and switch it to another console. When you launch it it says preparing to start and I think that's when it pulls a license.
I'm curious how that works on other systems. If PS/Switch grant your offline license while downloading the game, there's no way switching hard drives would just work? Although on Switch you have to format your microSD card, so maybe this prevents that? I haven't messed with PS4/5 hard drives to know.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Being locked out of goods you've purchased and having that issue persist for 2-3 days for many users is a pretty significant consumer-facing issue. It gets magnified when it happens over a weekend as well. When you did a check with your friends, 1/6 couldn't play and if you include yourself, it's 2/7. It's not a good look for Xbox at all.
Except he shouldn't count himself since he admits to game sharing and not having a home console. Game sharing is sweet, but the price you pay is not being able to use your console offline. Same for playstation as well. I game share with a friend and you can only play your friends games offline since it is "their" main console.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Its important to note that you can run any game on STEAM without having to played it even once in a long time.

Now if its a STEAM game that requires Denuvo than yes, it requires that you have played it once at least once in 2 weeks or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible that MS have to release an update for the console for an issue identified server side. Really shows they fucked up DRM years ago and never really thought it through.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible that MS have to release an update for the console for an issue identified server side. Really shows they fucked up DRM years ago and never really thought it through.
There was a hot topic about this, that I eventually put on ignore, lol.

This came up, and the last post I made in that thread was about how my PS5 was giving me licence validation messages while this was going on. No issues with playing games, just the messages.

I said if it was data center, server related why are Xbox consoles handling it this way....

This is the point some of us were trying to make.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As I said in the other thread, I'm glad this happened. Just because it brought more eyes onto the issue and that we ca potentially see a fix for the issue now

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020

Agree with this, licences for digital games should be assigned at install time. If you're on your home console you shouldn't need to have booted the game up online for it to work offline.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Opponents of DRM lament the fact that license servers shut down in some theoretical distant future, all of that content will become inaccessible. I'm personally of the opinion that Microsoft's global Azure server array will not only outlast any domestic collection of discs but also probably the lifespan of every human alive today. That said, I am also an advocate for anyone who wants to physically own those discs and content, without internet access.

This is incredibly naive. They are gonna turn off those servers, the minute it doesn't make them money. It doesn't matter if it's a crown jewel like Halo or Minecraft, they're going down eventually.

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Oh is this why I've been getting weird errors when trying to launch Gamepass games the last few days? The error code was to do with syncing data with Xbox Live.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I would hope this situation helps MS reconsider and update their bullshit DRM policy. I really don't want to be dealing with this shit years down the line.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Hmm, I've just my own test and I think Windows Central may have got part of this wrong, I was able to install a digital game, go offline and play it fine without needing to play the game whilst online first.

Can others please try themselves and see if there's something I've missed at my end:
1) locate a Series X game from your library that you have not installed on your home Xbox
2) install said game - *IMPORTANT, DO NOT START THE GAME*
3) Go offline
4) start game.

Works fine for me when I tested with We Happy Few, going to try Control next to see if it was some fluke.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
The group whose whole reason for existing is to preserve and test game playability disagrees with Jez's take here

And considering Jez often acts as an unofficial mouthpiece for MS and writes for "Windows Central" I'm going to trust the folks with no ties to any specific console manufacturers when it comes to this.

Truth of the matter is that MS has problematic DRM that their competitors do not have.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Well I'm glad Jez is signal boosting these issues with Xbox, they have to implement a better system to access your games for offline play.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah, pretty sure Jez needs to go back to his source and validate what they said because I've just installed Rogue Company (a Series X game) and Space Jam (an Xbox One game) on my Home Series X, pulled the network cable, deleted the wifi connection, set the console to offline and been able to load both of them fine.
I have never played these games before and they have never been started when there was an active network connection.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this is finally getting attention when people have been shouting about the risks of the Series DRM for months now, ever since that first MVG video

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
I did a system refresh the other day and kept all the apps. The first time I run a game it does the "Preparing to launch" business and I did a quick test by enabling offline mode and sure enough, the games that I have yet to run for the first time since the refresh it refuses to run the game, saying it needs to go online to complete the installation. Games that I previously started do run offline.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Yeah, pretty sure Jez needs to go back to his source and validate what they said because I've just installed Rogue Company (a Series X game) and Space Jam (an Xbox One game) on my Home Series X, pulled the network cable, deleted the wifi connection, set the console to offline and been able to load both of them fine.
I have never played these games before and they have never been started when there was an active network connection.
It's possible it's like Steam where it's not every game but most of them. Developers decide, I guess.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
It's possible it's like Steam where it's not every game but most of them. Developers decide, I guess.
I've tested 5 random games so far, including buying a brand new one to check and every single one works offline without requiring it to be connected online first. We definitely need an update as at this stage I'm pretty sure what's being reported is not fully accurate.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I'm still trying to figure out when this outage happened? Because nobody I know had an outage? It had to be entirely regional or something