• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you agree?

• Yes, Forza Horizon 5's snub is an outrage

Votes: 347 35.6%
  • No, the voting system is fine and this was the outcome

Votes: 173 17.7%
  • Who cares

Votes: 456 46.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
We need to stop making The Game Awards the Oscars of the games industry, or we risk giving them more weight than they deserve, like we do with the Oscars. Articles like this don't help.

The Game Awards exists solely as an excuse for publishers to show off new stuff, not to give out awards. The awards are the kale salad of the ceremony that we slowly pick at while getting multiple helpings of [insert favorite food here]. To take them seriously is a mistake.
The Oscars are worst than The Game Award but whatever

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Think about it. If a game has two major components (narrative/story, and gameplay loop) and another has one major component (gameplay loop), and the gameplay loop is the same between games in both categories (say, R&C and FH5), why would the game with two components NOT be the one to get nominated?

Gameplay will never be the same across genres though.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Jez on Twitter is lol
Hard to take him seriously, plus this:

20211117_094239.jpg

Not sure I understand, the pc version was supposed to good? Or did you miss that it said pc in the title in your haste to post something negative?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
What would it take for a racing game to get a nomination?

Horizon 5 was the highest rated game of the year, was incredibly popular with the public, and had no major faults, yet still didn't do enough to qualify.

Maybe Horizon 6 with a narrative-driven story mode? Or is this just a permanent blind spot in the same way the Academy ignores Horror and Comedy movies?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

I think there is a fair conversation regarding how some genres will seemingly never be able to obtain the GOTY award (let alone a nomination) due to being seen as more niche or not cinematic enough (like fighting games, strategy games, turn based RPGs, etc) but this is a bad look on Jez if I'm being honest

Yeesh. Metroid is a great game, bad look to throw it under the bus like that.
It does seem a bit odd to me that Forza didn't get nominated, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. The Game Awards is hype machine trash.
True, caring this much about it is wierd in itself. Even if he has a point.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed that game awards are biased towards high profile single player games.

I'll bet you half the reason 12 minutes was nominated was cause of it's star power.

Oct 25, 2017
This sort of reaction is discrediting the xbox gaming community.

Agreed. If we are going to make this case, then NBA 2K and other sports games etc, should be in these same conversations since those games also rate very high in the 90's. This is only an issue because this is an Xbox exclusive and that's it.

A lot of indie games get snubbed, not every cinematic game is given the award, shit even some Jrpgs, strat RPGs are snubbed so what??

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We need to stop making The Game Awards the Oscars of the games industry, or we risk giving them more weight than they deserve, like we do with the Oscars. Articles like this don't help.

The Game Awards exists solely as an excuse for publishers to show off new stuff, not to give out awards. The awards are the kale salad of the ceremony that we slowly pick at while getting multiple helpings of [insert favorite food here]. To take them seriously is a mistake.

Kale salads can be absolutely amazing and I won't stand for this insult.

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
Does Forza deserve some recognition? Certainly.

Are the Game Awards nominations a good barometer of any actual merit? Fuck no.

Is this article extremely overdramatic? Definitely.

This is putting way too much stock into what amounts to an extremely crass and corny ad block that we succumb to every year.
This is my take

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It'd be nice if Playground could get the appreciation they definitely deserve, after so many years of delivering pure quality.

Buuuut, overall... TGA is just a one big commercial, so ultimately I don't care.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think people complaining about award shows (whether it's games, movies, or music) is going away anytime soon. There often are biases towards certain genres there (see how Hip Hop artists and Grammy's).

I'm good with just paying the awards any mind though.
There is a difference between saying "my favorite game was snubbed" and saying "this entire industry is biased, flawed, shit etc. because my favorite game wasn't nominated". And it's even worse when it's said by someone who actually reviews/covers games.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really care tbh.
Tons of deserving games get snubbed every year.
Racing games (and other categories, like fighting games) get snubbed every single time.
I find the snub on Returnal far more weird frankly.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The hyperbole around this game is insufferable. It is the same game as several others before it, but with higher fidelity. Is it the strongest at what it does? Sure, I'll give you that. Does it advance the medium in any single way? Absolutely not.
Id agree 100% but... Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart got nominated for GOTY as well. Which is basically exactly as you say - same as before but in higher fidelity (ok, and portals that are rather limited in scope)
So arguably, if that's a metric you'd disqualify Forza on, R&C should be kicked from the list as well (in favour of Returnal naturally, which is vastly better than R&C)

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Jez probably had that piece already laid down before the nominations.
I think the issue its due to lack of diversity in their jury. Probably is a bunch of people who plays a lot of games but for like 10 hours, then moves to the next one, and usually preffer the games that "ends" or "gives a complete experience" after a couple of hours.
They are trying to be like the oscar and that´s fine. Their´s is the single player narrative driven character action goty awards, surely other media out there is doing racing or cinematic roguelike goty awards.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Agreed. If we are going to make this case, then NBA 2K and other sports games etc, should be in these same conversations since those games also rate very high in the 90's. This is only an issue because this is an Xbox exclusive and that's it.

This is bullshit and you know it.

Sports games were absolutely in the conversation as early as the 2000s and Madden even won during the Spike TV awards of 2003 or 2004 lol

Not getting nominated now when they are rush jobs is perfectly valid, but comparing FH games with the yearly sport titles is also dumb.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Dunno. Game literally just came out and its probably too late to put it in consideration. Also, VGA's are basically a super condensed version of E3 with a progamming block packed with more announcements there than almost the rest of the year combined. I just cant see the reason to get upset over it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about an awards show that a) most people only watch for announcements and b) had a walking promotional disposable razor in the ceremony once. Why are we granting it any sort of legitimacy now?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Shocked about R n C, not about the others.

Using Black Panther...like its in a long line of Marvel movies that get nominated for Best Picture....isnt as good as you think. I would clearly call that an outlier.

Like I said earlier...like Marvel movies.... I woulda been shocked if FH5 did get the nom.
Well. The BP nomination only happened recently. Things change. Movies in the MCU generally doesn't review as well as Forza Horizon anyways with most of its movies ranging from average to good. There's like a handful of MCU movies that had a slight chance of getting nominated. The comparison was flawed to begin with.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Kyle Bosman being involved with TGA means, by association, he's out here discrediting the entire gaming industry. Dark prince of Nerd Media strikes again.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's say EA gets his act together and develops the best FIFA/Madden/NBA game ever. I can't see a future were anyone would make this huge a stink if a 92% 10million+ players FIFA/Madden/etc. game is not nominated for a Game of the year award. For most people racing is as big of a genre as sports games. I can't remember seeing a big sports game in any game of the year award shows during the last years.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I wish GG Strive got this kind of support. Fighting games have been snubbed for years barring Smash, even those with cinematic campaigns and stories.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Metacritic, Rotten Tomatoes and hell, review scores in general have completely discredited modern culture.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Overly dramatic, yes.

But mostly true.

FH5 ffeels like the one that broke the camels back, there has been several incredible FH games the past decade, always snubbed. Now, it's not just possibly the best one of the lot, but is literally the highest rated game of the year, with amazing accessibility features, graphics, content variety.... how the hell do you STILL not give it a nod?

And lol the people posting that it's "just" a driving game and doesn't push the industry forward when games like RE village and R&C are nominated. Great games, but if you think those push the industry forward in any way then I have a bridge to sell you. If anything , FH's accessibility and scalability should be shouted from the rooftops, with how it allows people to get into and enjoy a driving game regardless of their knowledge of the genre.

Oct 25, 2017
This is bullshit and you know it.

Sports games were absolutely in the conversation as early as the 2000s and Madden even won during the Spike TV awards of 2003 or 2004 lol

2003. We are in 2021 and there has been a ton of evolution in the genre, some albeit bad, but if we are going off of "Metacritic scores" then they should be in the conversation. Why is Forza the moving needle to this useless conversation?

Status
Not open for further replies.