• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The way the economy is looking they might need to delay it because people will still be catching up on bills come holiday time

This is a console launch. During that time, supply is always limited and people are willing to spend 3x the amount to get one from ebay. Lol I think they should still release it, they're still going to sell out regardless of how many units they ship. There will be enough gamers with disposable income to support it. Anyone worrying about bills can wait until next year.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think they need too, not just because of the supply chain issue but even assuming the viral pendemic is under control they are going to be launching these new consoles at a point when there is going to be massive economic and economy issues.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If the hardware is ready but software isnt, I would love if they released the box anyway. Obviously they wont, but I would not mind having a PS4 Pro 2 in the meantime if the games get delayed. This is assuming China is the first out of the woods on coronavirus

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
China is hoping to be back in functioning order soon, so hardware might not be a problem, but launch games certainly will. If the launch games have to be delayed the consoles will.
If the virus is under control by this summer hopefully the consoles come out by March.
Though it would be interesting if they still launched this Holiday in an attempt to beat the other to market, but with no big exclusives.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Early adopters aren't really price sensitive. Both consoles will sell out regardless of release date.

Also, MS reconfirmed a holiday 2020 release so theres that

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
I think they need too, not just because of the supply chain issue but even assuming the viral pendemic is under control they are going to be launching these new consoles at a point when there is going to be massive economic and economy issues.

Looks like Microsoft's software-first strategy may pay off for the foreseeable future.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Sounds like Microsoft is still committed to the holiday season so we'll see.

It's possible they find it too early to already announce it's not happening. I don't know, but I do know things have been changing fast. Very few people took the virus seriously a mere few weeks ago here and now look. Things change fast.

I'd love to have XSX this year, but if not, meh.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
As China has already turned the corner, I think a launch this year is still realistic. A bigger issue might be the accompanying software, as a lot of western software devs are going to experience various levels of disruption

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I disagree. But I'm smart enough not to speak with such a definite and authoritative tone like a bizarre number of people seem to be doing who say it will 100% not launch and say there is literally no chance. Wrong.

Except you just did exactly that...

Regardless, if you think global supply chains are going to be back 100% and able to take the bandwidth of new Apple, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft etc. products and have them in plentiful supply, plus be able to launch at an economically sustainable price point in countries whose economies will have been decimated, then well I have a bridge to sell you.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Regardless, if you think global supply chains are going to be back 100% and able to take the bandwidth of new Apple, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft etc. products and have them in plentiful supply, plus be able to launch at an economically sustainable price point in countries whose economies will have been decimated, then well I have a bridge to sell you.

Are you kidding me? I absolutely did NOT do exactly that. I said you are wrong if you say there is NO CHANCE of it releasing. You have no idea. None of us do. We can only make predictions.

Even the experts have been coming out today and saying no one has a clue what will happen...could go either way. You pretending otherwise is a joke.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

Supply chains in China are actually decent right now and in much better shape than Europe or the US. But I already got yelled at in this thread for not knowing what I am talking about. Two weeks ago I was happy that our best selling products are produced in Germany. Now I'm sweating that and pivoting back to our Chinese produced goods.

I think right now people in the West don't understand that China is beyond where we are with the disease and has largely gotten back to work. We're in the thick of it and can't conceptualize that global supply is from China/SE Asia is getting back up to speed while our countries grind to a halt.

We're entering a recession, and demand will be down for expensive electronics. But if you are a maker of expensive electronics that doesn't stop you, it just means you need to gauge demand more carefully. Given that console launches are almost always supply constrained that won't be a problem for the first 6 months anyway.

I mean, we had two consoles launch months post 9/11.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Supply chains in China are actually decent right now and in much better shape than Europe or the US. But I already got yelled at in this thread for not knowing what I am talking about. Two weeks ago I was happy that our best selling products are produced in Germany. Now I'm sweating that and pivoting back to our Chinese produced goods.

I think right now people in the West don't understand that China is beyond where we are with the disease and has largely gotten back to work. We're in the thick of it and can't conceptualize that global supply is from China/SE Asia is getting back up to speed while our countries grind to a halt.

We're entering a recession, and demand will be down for expensive electronics. But if you are a maker of expensive electronics that doesn't stop you, it just means you need to gauge demand more carefully. Given that console launches are almost always supply constrained that won't be a problem for the first 6 months anyway.

I mean, we had two consoles launch months post 9/11.

Not to go too off topic, but 9/11 really only affected US directly at that point, not globally like this virus and that was also at a time when global launches weren't really a thing. We're going to see lots of people lose their jobs and whole industries go to the wall over the coming months.

China have got back to speed because of the extreme measures they put in place, but we don't know yet if the virus will hit again as more in China comes online.

I think if either of these consoles launch it'll be in a severely supply constrained fashion, or not a global launch. People are underestimating how serious the situation is for the economies of every country.