• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I think all of the above strategy makes sense, other than the part where Lockhart might be... around the same performance delta as the X.

That to me, indicates that the next-gen strategy for Xbox is to have a 299 SKU that undercuts PS5's assumed 399, while also having a 499-599 Anaconda monster SKU that is the halo device.

Strategically, that makes sense from a competitive pricing standpoint, but I'm not sure the strategy of having an entry-level next-gen product that isn't a notabled leap from even your previous mid-gen premium might be the right move.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just speculating.

The S model isn't simply an X with a price drop because they want to cut down on manufacturing costs by using the same fab method.

X owners are probably fine for a long while.

Feb 10, 2018
It makes little sense to release an S successor that is as powerful as the X. Next gen will target 4K/30fps, so it would need to be 30-50% stronger than the X to have some headroom.
What will the X successor target, 4K/60fps? Not a big enough jump I think.
It's more plausible to do a $199 streaming box and a $499 beast, but 2020 might be too soon for the streaming console to take off, 2022 is more likely for that scenario.

If lockheart is 6-7tflops and anaconda is 12-14tflops and targeting 4k, it would simply be a case of having the lockheart run at a resolution it can handle like 1080p, the game will be the same.
I'm sure there will be PC owners with 1060s/580s level gpus who will play next gen games at 1080p, it will be the same for the lockheart.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
But it doesn't sound like the next gen Xbox S model addresses this? I dunno the wording says it'll be near identical in power to the xbox one x.

GPU? Absolutely. The CPU will either be the same or close to the X equivalent SKU. It's such a huge leap in tech that it would be shortsighted for Microsoft to hamstring a new console generation by not moving to a Zen(2) based CPU.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
It makes little sense to release an S successor that is as powerful as the X. Next gen will target 4K/30fps, so it would need to be 30-50% stronger than the X to have some headroom.
What will the X successor target, 4K/60fps? Not a big enough jump I think.
It's more plausible to do a $199 streaming box and a $499 beast, but 2020 might be too soon for the streaming console to take off, 2022 is more likely for that scenario.
we wont see a jump to 8k, both PS5 and next X will be 4k/60, the S will be a repackaged X console for $299 while the others are $499.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
If 6tf one is the lowest power next-gen console then that means that will be the limit for multiplat next-gen graphics technology because most of the time developers target the lowest powered machines e.g Xbox One in this gen I don't like the sound of this approach.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hoping then that's the case because currently it doesn't sound like they know what they want to do. Why even have the S(2) then!? Price cut the X and then release the "Scarlett" and have the minimum specs of all games be at least Xbox X capable. Why release an S (2) at the same strength as the current X? Unless its operating system will be completely different, but even then; The O.S. is a system level thing that can be updated and upgraded at Microsoft's whem.

the X isn't cheap to build due to the fancy cooling system. it's slimmer and quieter than the S despite being way more powerful. an obvious way to cut costs and get an X-class machine to $299 in a year or two is to design it into a larger case and more traditional cooling system more akin to the S. hence, S2 with X-ish performance.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That sounds excellent. I'm in for the high powered system, and VERY interested in seeing what goes down with Razer.

If I could stream games well to an iPhoneXS Max with a nice controller wrapped around it... could really eat into my "switch at home" time.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
If 6tf one is the lowest power next-gen console then that means that will be the limit for multiplat next-gen graphics technology because most of the time developers target the lowest powered machines e.g Xbox One in this gen I don't like the sound of this approach.

if they are targeting a 6TF machine at 1080p, that means the 4k machine is in the 20+ TF range

it's going to be a massive jump

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Hummm now that I'm thinking about it, maybe their S (2) can output X (2) graphics and framerate if connected to the Internet and powered by their XCLOUD. Thus making the X (2) a box that doesn't need Xcloud to function at its peak performance. This way most if not all games will be comparable on either system.

That's the only way I can see this making sense. But I guess the current systems have proven the people who want the best will pay for it (Xbox One X) while the rest of the world is fine with the "norm" and underpowered system (Xbox S compared to the base PS4).

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this.

I've been dying to have more expensive, "super" consoles for like a decade. PC gaming is still just enough of a hassle that I'd rather buy a $500-800 console that is rocking similar hardware.

I love my X. Excited for whatever they call the X2.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Because Xbox One X is still an 'Xbox One' product.

From marketing standpoint, even if Lockhart is basically X with a better CPU, the marketing launchpad with Lockhart being an Xbox that isn't tied to the One-branding means they could easily go with the 'EXCLUSIVE TO XBOX TWO' marketing and 'next gen at affordable price! out the gate without any confusion.

Instead of having to go a confusing marketing route of "X is the new baseline!", or "Games Exclusive to XB2, but also XB1X!"

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
I'm confused, what was my assumption here? I'm just saying that if you have a low-powered box and a premium box, you miss the middle-ground. They don't miss the middle-ground right now because the S is the equivalent of the PS4. Lockhart would not be the equivalent of the PS5.

The S is not the equivalent of the PS4. When Jez says the next Gen S will be less powerful than the PS5, it could be the same percentage as the current S below the PS4.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Because Xbox One X is still an 'Xbox One' product.

From marketing standpoint, even if Lockhart is basically X with a better CPU, the marketing launchpad with Lockhart being an Xbox that isn't tied to the One-branding means they could easily go with the 'EXCLUSIVE TO XBOX TWO' marketing and 'next gen at affordable price! out the gate without any confusion.

Instead of having to go a confusing marketing route of "X is the new baseline!", or "Games Exclusive to XB2, but also XB1X!"

XB1X isn't going to be a baseline for much. If the CPU jump is as big as expected, the port downs may not be worth it. First time since 2000/2001 since we've had a big change for the CPU. 360/PS3/XB1/PS4 have been so bad in this respect.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If the next gen "Xbox One S" is equivalent in power to the current Xbox One X it might lead credence to what i believe was said earlier prior to the XB1X launch by one of the MS execs that potentially the X might be forward compatible as an entry model for the next gen.

It would be interesting to start a new gen with some people simply keeping their existing XB1X hardware to act as a potential base model for the new generation. I could see this happening but it would essentially spell the end of "generations" for Xbox and potentially games labelled with device compatibility. It would also i imagine have a big effect on sales numbers and measurement of "succeess" and would make MAU and game sales as primary figures worth noting rather then pure hardware sales to be indicative of success of the new family of consoles.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
We have two SKUs now. This carries it forward and gives consumers a choice. Coubt me in for the higher priced box with all the bells and whistles.
This. I'd LOVE to be able to buy the current X1X Development kit with it's super fast m.2 storage system, but I can't.
This strategy would let me do so. Love the idea.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Like many of us predicted last year, the 'X' becomes the base model. The extra 4gb helps, and many games will be compatible on all systems. sounds great to me. :) I'll ride the X into year two, then upgrade. 3 more years of my beast.

I don't think that's going to happen.

If they are going with new CPU architecture, needing to support the X as the base model would have a seriously negative impact on what can be achieved with the more expensive box. If it's going to be a 1080P box and a 4K box with the same games the X isn't going to cut the mustard. It's also not what this rumour suggests anyway.

But, Microsoft offering full backwards compat means the X should still get a decent number of releases.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
we wont see a jump to 8k, both PS5 and next X will be 4k/60, the S will be a repackaged X console for $299 while the others are $499.

This makes sense to me. MS has done plenty to fix the xbox brand under Spencer but it would be a good idea to rebrand away from xbox one for next gen.

I hope this doesn't stop a mid gen refresh though. What can be available in 2023 for hardware can still advance quite a bit from what console hardware is available in 2020.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
So the high end will probably be a 499/ 599 dollars machine.

So they'll have extremely cheap cloud boxes, a 299 sku which will be more or less an Xbox one X and a real next gen console?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Scarlett S: $299
Scarlett X: $499

The S can not only be as powerful or comparable to the One X. Whatever the S is, it'll be ~8x more powerful than the original XB1. The Scarlett X I'd bet will be ~10-12x the XB1.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
I hoping then that's the case because currently it doesn't sound like they know what they want to do. Why even have the S(2) then!? Price cut the X and then release the "Scarlett" and have the minimum specs of all games be at least Xbox X capable. Why release an S (2) at the same strength as the current X? Unless its operating system will be completely different, but even then; The O.S. is a system level thing that can be updated and upgraded at Microsoft's whem.

I recently got the X and I'm truly blown away at how smooth it is, there's a ton of untapped power in this baby. I do think in itself it's more than a half step console if it wasn't held back by the O.God Xbox One and the S.
the S is a repackaged OG "One", 5 percent faster new box, it'll be the same, your X will be nice and playable for years,

If you bought a 2017 X, THE 2020 X, should have a little bit more power. or else they will have to slow down GPU/CPUs to equal 2017 levels.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love this.

I've been dying to have more expensive, "super" consoles for like a decade. PC gaming is still just enough of a hassle that I'd rather buy a $500-800 console that is rocking similar hardware.

I love my X. Excited for whatever they call the X2.
Frickin graphics cards are around $500-800 by themselves now, and those aren't even the top of the line models.

Instead of multiple SKUs, I'd rather MS and Sony sell us open boxes with modular components. PC gaming is a relative pain in the ass because upgrading them is a mess of wires, pins and connectors... I just want a system where everything just literally snaps in, no more complicated than putting a cartridge in a SNES. There's all kinds of legacy bullshit preventing that from happening in the PC space anytime soon, but the console makers could buck that trend if they wanted to.

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
I think if the Lockhart console made on 7nm had an zen 2 cpu, an 8tf Vega or Navi variant & 16gb gddr6 for $399 or less
And then a high end beast for $599
It could work

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Scarlett S: $299
Scarlett X: $499

The S can not only be as powerful or comparable to the One X. Whatever the S is, it'll be ~8x more powerful than the original XB1.

If the S comes in at $299, I wouldn't expect the GPU to be too much stronger than the one currently in the X. The biggest change would be in the CPU which will be universal across the Scarlett line of consoles.

Oct 27, 2017
That would be the worst possible outcome. Next gen hampered by 1X level power? Not good enough imo

Who buys that? And with a $400 PS5 that's close if not the same as the $500 Xbox 2 Pro?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Frickin graphics cards are around $500-800 by themselves now, and those aren't even the top of the line models.

Instead of multiple SKUs, I'd rather MS and Sony sell us open boxes with modular components. PC gaming is a relative pain in the ass because upgrading them is a mess of wires, pins and connectors... I just want a system where everything just literally snaps in, no more complicated than putting a cartridge in a SNES. There's all kinds of legacy bullshit preventing that from happening in the PC space anytime soon, but the console makers could buck that trend if they wanted to.
Now that's something I always dream about.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You realize there's zero incentive for a console manufacturer to do that though, right? They want to sell more devices (just like with cell phones). It's a waste of time to even entertain that thought.

For me, the PC pain comes from dealing with the OS and its updates/issues. A million things could possibly go wrong. It's better today than it was even 5 years ago, but shit still crops up from time to time. Consoles are walled gardens, that's their benefit. I just want to be able to buy powerfull ass walled gardens.

Obviously there are super expensive PC GPU's, but again, the nature of consoles means they don't need as powerful of a GPU to get incredible results. I mean, the Xbone X is roughly equivalent to a GTX 970 or something, right? That console can do way more than the 970 I had in my PC.

Last edited:

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Xbox Two S: $300, 2tb HDD, carries over everything from X1X, just a cpu swap out for Ryzen, and cheaper and more efficient parts used, baseline of next gen

Xbox Two X: $500, 2tb SSHD, premium console, with all the bells and whistles. Along with the already mentioned CPU, the GPU will be significantly upgraded too, somewhere around 10 TF (?)

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
If the S comes in at $299, I wouldn't expect the GPU to be too much stronger than the one currently in the X. The biggest change would be in the CPU which will be universal across the Scarlett line of consoles.
Wouldn't going down to 7nm be able to draw more power than what the X has at 16nm? Next gen should see a significant jump in power because of the node shrink.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
I don't think that's going to happen.

If they are going with new CPU architecture, needing to support the X as the base model would have a seriously negative impact on what can be achieved with the more expensive box. If it's going to be a 1080P box and a 4K box with the same games the X isn't going to cut the mustard. It's also not what this rumour suggests anyway.

But, Microsoft offering full backwards compat means the X should still get a decent number of releases.
wut? the X is a 4k machine/beast, what are you talking about 1080p? its not 2013.
the biggest game this gen RDR2 is native 4k, no pop in, glorious.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
hell yeah, keep those first party games coming to win10 so i dont need to waste money on xbox hardware.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly what I was expecting, I fully expect the current Xbox One X to be forwards compatible with next-gen software since it is already very capable and thus becomes the new baseline hardware for Xbox instead of the Xbox One S.

This is very much the Apple style model where certain devices are dropped as baseline targets over the years to allow software not to be hindered by legacy hardware, it's a model that has worked really well in that regard and it will be interesting to see how it could work with gaming devices.

The only reason I could see them not have the Xbox One X be forwards compatible is if the next gen S model sees a major increase in CPU performance over the X due to the shift to Ryzen 2.

It might put Microsoft in a weird spot pricing wise against PlayStation 5 if that launches at $399, a $249-299 Xbox-S and a $499 Xbox-X might not hit a good enough sweet spot unless the X has major improvements over the PS5.

I do not think the interesting aspect of the next gen consoles will be the consoles themselves, they are boxes we play games on like now with some more power, but rather the potential of xCloud. People on this forum is not the target for xCloud, but they might get some really cool benefits from it, rather it is the ability for developers to reach an entirely new market where consumers do not have to make an up front payment of hundreds of dollars to play a cutting edge video game.

Game streaming will be huge simply because it can reach more people than those 100-200 million that might buy a console, it enables people to enjoy games how they want to and without the barrier of entry.