• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Lol really again?
They have 2 console on the market
The most powerful one
They building two sku's for next gen ..where Phil at E3 want build again the most powerful one.
Spencer in lots interviews said that local computing is no going anywhere in the near future and they will continue to cater to the gone consoles market

= Ms wanna leave the console hardware ........ooookay

Xcloud is what Sony wanted psnow to be...when it launched years ago . before it basically being retired from being installed on tv and different devices........xcloud is also combined with a service (gamepass) that is truly winning the mindshare

You don't even know if XCloud will work lol, US don't have great internet

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering EA Access is set to come to another platform outside of Xbox One, said platform expected to be PS4, it may not be as much a non-starter as we think. And if Sony allows GamePass and xCloud on PlayStation hardware through PS4 or PS5, as someone in the thread mentioned, it makes the decision for the casual much easier when deciding on whether to buy a Xbox Scarlett or PS5. Why have one set of games on one system when you can have both sets on the one platform?
Are we sure its not just the rumored google stream box that it is coming too?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Brad Sams chims in
MS is looking to get Gamepass on TV's. Connect start up Gamepass, play. Reminds that MS wants to reach as many people as possible on any device and who is open for it.
Cant confirm talks are happening every single second now and this is becoming a thing in the next 6 weeks. It could but cant confirm it.
If its gonna happen it wont happen until 2020. Because of Xcloud testing no starting until later this year.
MS gots some Gamepass announcements at E3. Wont be the typical games announcement. But substantial Gamepass things. (guess PC)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The possibility that I could be playing Halo on Switch is kind of nuts to me.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I see why Microsoft would want this. But why would Sony (or Nintendo) allow this instead of launching their own subscription service? It's hard for me to understand why these companies would sit and watch how Microsoft becomes the Netflix for gaming...
This. I understand Sony's position here more than Nintendo's.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Sony would never allow it, and it would be stupid to expect them to say yes. I would honestly be shocked if the Nintendo rumor turns out to be true, simply because the fight nowadays is not just about share of wallet, but share of engagement. If Nintendo agrees to this deal, they arent confident they can deliver enough software to keep their base engaged (and they're betting they will never be able to, since they wont be able to just kick out MS on a dime) so they are relying on MS to fill the gaps... but also risking a loss of share of wallet since MS can deliver lots of content though a streaming app to take up a lot of the customer's time, thereby generally allowing less time/money spent on Nintendo's software offering. Adding a Gamepass-ish option from MS on Switch will be hard to monetize for Nintendo, since MS will likely allow you to use an existing sub purchased elsewhere, unless there is a unique sub sold directly through the Switch.

Feb 10, 2018
Its more powerful and the xbox fans would still buy xbox I guess.

Maybe 1/2 million of the most die hard of die hard, but a console with all the games vs a console missing some of the best games is the most easiest purchase decision ever.
There would be no point in wasting 100s of $millions in developing new xbox's, its literally throughing money away. Which is why it won't happen.

Maybe Xcloud comes to Playstation but even that does not make much sense.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Considering EA Access is set to come to another platform outside of Xbox One, said platform expected to be PS4, it may not be as much a non-starter as we think. And if Sony allows GamePass and xCloud on PlayStation hardware through PS4 or PS5, as someone in the thread mentioned, it makes the decision for the casual much easier when deciding on whether to buy a Xbox Scarlett or PS5. Why have one set of games on one system when you can have both sets on the one platform?
Just a thought but said platform could be Yeti. Or it could be xCloud - then ultimately you'd get EA Access on Switch too. Or indeed simply PS4

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
They're really gonna put game pass on everything. And that's cool. It's a fucking amazing service.

As long as Anaconda is gonna be an option to play it all on, it's all good. They've proven with the X1X that they can provide amazingly solid premium hardware and I hope that they continually pursue and support that part of their overall strategy.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft has made it abundantly clear that they don't care if you're buying their hardware. They care about people being in their ecosystem, which Game Pass is part of. Want to play on PC instead of an Xbox? Go for it. Want to stream games instead of either of those? You do you.
Accurate.

This is why everything we've heard is most definitely possible. Both Microsoft/Nintendo would win from this deal.

Microsoft's big IPs on a successful hybrid console. Nintendo gets more third parties. It is a win win.

Just imagine them announcing all of this deal via Banjo in Smash. The craze..

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's main goal isn't to simply push consoles though. It's to connect gamer to creator and take a slice of the transactions between them. The console is just a means to that end.

If they carte blanche 'allow' a competing streaming platform onto their devices, they're enabling another middleman to stand between the user and the creator that isn't them.

If Sony allowed gamepass on PS hardware, I think it would most likely be for MS first party content only. They won't let MS dis-intermediate them with regard to other third party content Sony is themselves offering access to via their own services/platform. Yes, MS could offer a revenue share, but Sony ultimately wants that third party content being engaged with through their ecosystem/platform and to take the full platform-holder cut for themselves, not share it with MS. So I think they'd let gamepass operate as a third party publisher offering within their own ecosystem, but not as a fully-fledged ecosystem in its own right, competing with PS services for access to 'multi plat' third party games.

So I could see Gamepass on PS in the same way I could see EA Access on PS - as a gateway to content belonging to MS and EA only. I don't think Sony will allow them to use those services to serve up third party content that Sony wants to serve themselves to you. From the Jeux Video rumour it sounds like in the Nintendo case - if that's true - Nintendo will also be curating what content is exposed on their device. If that's true my guess is they'll probably also only allow stuff they're not competing for access to on their own platform.

Yeah, they definitely aren't just going to allow it on the platform without some adjustments. I expect that PSNow will expand next-gen, so it wouldn't make sense for Sony to have a streaming service that has a lot of third party games on its service that are on Now to go unchecked. There's obviously a lot that both would have to work out and it wouldn't just be an opening the floodgates situation. But I think in the grand scheme of things this is something that Sony should like so long as they can get the details worked out. Like I said, getting MS games on their platform would be pretty damn beneficial to them. You could have someone that traditionally buys Xbox consoles perhaps feel like now they can buy a PS console instead because they won't actually be missing out on the games that they liked from MS. And of course MS still gets that subscription and Sony's base to work with. So it potentially increases Sony hardware sales, which increases Plus subscriptions and overall FP game sales.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
It's the highest internet speed for any country in similar size and varity.

It's growing rapidly and is now even in the top 10 WW
OfBnhhw.png

Also have a look at this:
https://www.speedtest.net/reports/united-states/2018/fixed/
https://www.speedtest.net/reports/united-kingdom/#fixed

Where does this notion of US does not have great internet come from?
It's not 2005 anymore.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No, with xCloud. A fraction of Azure's infrastructure will be used for xCloud. A would-be streaming service doesn't need to match the scale, only the reach, of something like an Azure to be competitive here.

It's not going to be worth it when you have the competition paying you to be there

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
It's the highest internet speed for any country in similar size and varity.

It's growing rapidly and is now even in the top 10 WW
OfBnhhw.png

Also have a look at this:
https://www.speedtest.net/reports/united-states/2018/fixed/
https://www.speedtest.net/reports/united-kingdom/#fixed

Where does this notion of US does not have great internet come from?
It's not 2005 anymore.

The notion comes from it being true. Unless you live in a major city the best internet youre getting in most Wisconsin cities is 8mb download (my parents only get 4). I imagine a lot of less dense states are in similar situations.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Ok so what people are saying in this thread is that xcloud could come to PS and Switch. My understanding was native gamepass support. Like games running natively on the hardware. Stream just doesn't sound very attractive to me, if everything was native, then I could see it as a big selling point for all involved.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda makes me question the idea of buying an Xbox next gen if there's a chance Gamepass will comes to Playstation. I already have a Switch so if it comes to that and I get to play the few games from them i'm interested in then there's not much need to buy their console.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The notion comes from it being true. Unless you live in a major city the best internet youre getting in most Wisconsin cities is 8mb download (my parents only get 4). I imagine a lot of less dense states are in similar situations.
And people in those areas won't be moving away from dedicated hardware any time soon. Which is Microsoft's advantage over Google - they will potentially offer the best of both worlds without alienating the existing core gaming crowd in the way that Google's streaming only solution probably will.

Nov 12, 2017
5g I don't know how many times it need to be said ...they told that also in the promo video....streaming is aimed to tablet ..mobile phones....and it's coming out because 5g is close....
You will have scarlet for native local computed games...

Last edited:

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Pretty sure Xcloud is being developed with a 10mb down pipe as it's base which was obtainable 10 years ago

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Sony being Sony, no surprise here.
How so? Allowing this would be a big surprise, even from Nintendo and Sony, in my opinion.

How would it even work by the way? How would you download and play Xbox One games offline on a PS4, yet alone on a Switch? From what i can see, all of those games needs to be ported because Game Pass isnt about streaming (like PS Now).

Nov 12, 2017
Maybe 1/2 million of the most die hard of die hard, but a console with all the games vs a console missing some of the best games is the most easiest purchase decision ever.
There would be no point in wasting 100s of $millions in developing new xbox's, its literally throughing money away. Which is why it won't happen.

Maybe Xcloud comes to Playstation but even that does not make much sense.
I don't think we will see gamepass on
PlayStation..
Not until Ms builds hardware ..switch is mostly mobile console that can't run "heavy games" very different situation

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5g I don't know how many times it need to be said ...they told that also in the promo video....streaming is aimed to tablet ..mobile phones....and it's coming out because 5g is close....
You will have scarlet for native local computed games...

I'd love to access this stuff on my phone but that's the least likely place I can play right now. I imagine most people in the US have mobile data caps, and not very high ones. Even streaming Spotify on my daily commute is a hard ask with my caps, so unless I wanna start paying Verizon crazy amounts of money for unlimited, game streaming will be even further out of the question.

My biggest desire would be a 4/5g Switch model that could take advantage of this. I'd be willing to shell out a bit for that.

Nov 12, 2017
I'd love to access this stuff on my phone but that's the least likely place I can play right now. I imagine most people in the US have mobile data caps, and not very high ones. Even streaming Spotify on my daily commute is a hard ask with my caps, so unless I wanna start paying Verizon crazy amounts of money for unlimited, game streaming will be even further out of the question.

My biggest desire would be a 4/5g Switch model that could take advantage of this. I'd be willing to shell out a bit for that.
I really don't know what wrong with caps in USA ....can I ask how much cost Verizon unlimited data ?....and just for information how much is let's say 50gb of 4g data monthly?

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Why would a Sony/Nintendo console owner buy an Xbox console when they can access Gamer Pass on their console of choice?

You can't play Nintendo or Sony games on an Xbox.

If Game Pass get released for Nintendo or Sony platform, I will NEVER buy MS' Xbox console.
This is probably okay with Xbox and MS tbh. Sony, MS, and Nintendo all make the lion's share of their money from software sales. Up until recently hardware was sold at a loss. Why wouldn't MS want all their games available on 180 million hardware units instead of the 40 million it's available on now?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eventually, one day, it will make sense. We're probably looking long term though.

If all the current rumors are confirmed, it will coincide with MS moving towards (eventually) a mostly if not entirely software based offering, relying on subs and 1st party (hence massive studio acquisitions) to offer their products on as many platforms as possible, PC & Switch (and Xbox -for now-), but also eventually Mobile and the then current PS platform.

When 5G (and its eventual successors) become ubiquitous, you as a consumer will end up just subscribing to the services you like from X number of providers and stream directly the games/ music/ movies to your portable device, which you can then tether (wirelessly and dock free) to bigger screens anywhere you need.
I'm not talking this upcoming gen necessarily, but next for sure, though visibly all the actors are already gearing up to that all online streaming-only future.

In the shorter term, MS will probably test the waters with Nintendo Switch (again, if rumors hold true) & PC while I expect Sony to do a mobile (Android & IOS) re-launch of a beefed up PS Now in the "near" future (but they'll probably keep the big AAA titles as purchase only on PS4/ PS5 for now).

Nov 12, 2017
Don't you mean until ms stop building hardware?

If that's the case, I agree. MS are not stupid enough to completey self sabotage there hardware, it makes zero business sense.

Sure it need to be said that they are going to release streamed games and not ports
So you would need always a Xbox to get the "high end" experience but still.. PlayStation and Xbox are too similar and eating in the same market ...so I don't see Ms releasing xcloud with gamepass on PlayStation .....at least until Ms stop building hardware (yes I was meaning that sorry :)) )

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think we will see gamepass on
PlayStation..
Not until Ms builds hardware ..switch is mostly mobile console that can't run "heavy games" very different situation
Gamepass won't be on PS4 because sony won't allow it. But if they did I guess MS thinks getting another's potential 100 million
Customers and they'd probably quickly get on.

This only makes sense if they have truly given up on ever winning in hardware sales and now only care about subscribers.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While it definitely makes sense for Microsoft considering their strategy, I really can't think of a good reason on why Sony would allow it. I mean, I guess they could market PS4 as the ultimate gaming box that way (both Xbox games and PS games), but they are most definitely going to start investing a lot of PlayStation Now in the following years. Unless we are talking about a really good deal offered by Microsoft. Like, would Microsoft pay something for Sony per subscribed user on PS4?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm sure Microsoft wants it on PS4, really no downside and more money for them.
I'm also sure that even if hell freezes over Sony won't allow it as it's a direct competitor to Now. The only scenario in which I could see Sony allow it is if it only offers Microsoft published games, leaving 3rd party to Now.

Jan 20, 2019
While it definitely makes sense for Microsoft considering their strategy, I really can't think of a good reason on why Sony would allow it. I mean, I guess they could market PS4 as the ultimate gaming box that way (both Xbox games and PS games), but they are most definitely going to start investing a lot of PlayStation Now in the following years. Unless we are talking about a really good deal offered by Microsoft. Like, would Microsoft pay something for Sony per subscribed user on PS4?
Obvious that Sony whould receive a cut per subscribed.

I can think a reason of the top of my head, they probably want to do the same service.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
That only means your internet sucks or your parents internet sucks.
Vast majority of people have access to great internet.

F79MB5R.png

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Next gen may be the last generation of dedicated gaming hardware with custom chipsets. In 10 years high speed network access should be able to allow game streaming and 4K with low latency.

Feb 10, 2018
Sure it need to be said that they are going to release streamed games and not ports
So you would need always a Xbox to get the "high end" experience but still.. PlayStation and Xbox are too similar and eating in the same market ...so I don't see Ms releasing xcloud with gamepass on PlayStation .....at least until Ms stop building hardware (yes I was meaning that sorry :)) )

Yes I agree.
It's kind of preposterous people saying otherwise, but not to surprising considering the posters who are saying it.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
5G starts rolling out slowly this year. When it hits, MS will be the one among the big 3 positioned to strike. Global 5G doubles or triples the world population that can consume today's level of content over the next decade. Their competition really becomes Apple and google and Amazon.

100 million consoles is nothing compared to 4 billion potential customers, which is MS' estimate of gamers in 2030. If you can run Fortnite and PubG well through smartphones in 2018, you can play console games pretty well in 2021. For comparison, Netflix seems ubiquitous. It has 140 million subs.

The idea that gaming will always be what it's been is silly. It's only been 11 years of iPhones. The world is utterly, irreversibly different. So from 2018 when the next-gen consoles really got into full-momentum development ahead to the end if their gen is the same time frame of about 10 years. It's been less than a decade since even 50% of US homes had broadband.

The future is gonna be cool....in video games. The rest of it maybe not so much.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Brad Sams chims in
MS is looking to get Gamepass on TV's. Connect start up Gamepass, play. Reminds that MS wants to reach as many people as possible on any device and who is open for it.
Cant confirm talks are happening every single second now and this is becoming a thing in the next 6 weeks. It could but cant confirm it.
If its gonna happen it wont happen until 2020. Because of Xcloud testing no starting until later this year.
MS gots some Gamepass announcements at E3. Wont be the typical games announcement. But substantial Gamepass things. (guess PC)

Think my last tv could access Sony games you could bluetooth connect a PS3 controller to it. An inexpensive sub. service like gamepass with a big selection would be a sweet addition for smart tvs

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure Microsoft wants it on PS4, really no downside and more money for them.
I'm also sure that even if hell freezes over Sony won't allow it as it's a direct competitor to Now.
Well if they don't improve PSNOW they better watch out
Yes I agree.
It's kind of preposterous people saying otherwise, but not to surprising considering the posters who are saying it.
If MS thought about it how is it surprising?