• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018
Sony have been pretty clear they see PSNow as a support service for now, not their main thing, I think they'd be really stupid not to seriously consider allowing Gamepass, if it meant MS are essentially going 3rd party. That'd be huge for PS5.

The thing is Sony can make more money with PSNow subs and game sales so undermining those sectors would be the opposite of Huge for Sony.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope future isn't streaming games only. My internet speeds are too inconsistent to do streaming even now.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Nintendo can't launch their own service and if approached by Microsoft with the offer of more games on the system, why say no?

I was thinking that Game Pass on Switch would lead to less sales from Nintendo's own store = less revenue for Nintendo. But on the other hand, it's no different than Microsoft allowing EA Access on X1 and that seems to be working out fine for them. So I guess this would apply for Nintendo as well.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Sony would clearly never allow this as long as PlayStation Now exists and while Microsoft are still making hardware, especially when you consider they're still bizarrely against EA Access. Would be nice to see Sony look towards more improvements for PS Now in the future though, as always competition is good. Right now just don't see it as a major competitor.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
If Sony did allow gamepass on Playstation, couldnt they put Playstation Now on Xbox/Switch?

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Also didn't EA tease that another platform is getting EA Access this year? Maybe Sony is lowering their walled garden strategy and allowing more third party services, starting with EA Access and then with Game Pass

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Other than a few exclusives, don't know other benefits Sony will have since both have almost the same games, is a lost money for Sony even if Microsoft pays for the application, unless Microsoft publish their titles on Sony platform. But if they manage to approve that I'm ok with it. Nintendo in the other hand is a must because most of that games in the service are not on the switch.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sony should allow it but a modified GamePass that has only 1st party games, otherwise they would be missing on third party pie cut from PSN. Would people even buy Xbox if you could get their games on Switch/Playstation?
I don't think MS would care to do that, they'd want the full service on every platform possible, not a very limited one on PS. Maybe if Sony could get them to also do full on PS4/5 ports it'd make a lot of sense for both, instead of just games locked behind streaming/subscription services. I do think the real benefit for Sony would be pretty much taking Xbox Hardware big selling point out of the picture.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Also didn't EA tease that another platform is getting EA Access this year? Maybe Sony is lowering their walled garden strategy and allowing more third party services, starting with EA Access and then with Game Pass

That's correct. EA Access is most likely coming to PS4 this year. So this opens the gates to everything.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
Let's summarize Microsoft's plan:

Microsoft will develop premium console hardware to run 1st and 3rd party games at high fidelity.

Microsoft will expand its ability to sell games beyond Windows and Xbox using Project xCloud. This technology makes it possible to sell games on any device with an xCloud client. The main consumer incentive is cross-platform functionality. The downside is the requirement of an always stable Internet connection and reduced fidelity.

Microsoft will expand its Xbox Live ecosystem by offering value-oriented subscription services such as Game Pass to as many consumers as possible - regardless of platform. Since porting is time consuming and costly, streaming via xCloud is presumed to be the distribution method for titles.

Microsoft does not care if you buy an Xbox.

Microsoft cares if you buy an Xbox or buy games for xCloud or subscribe to Game Pass. Or course, the more you subscribe/buy, the better.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope not. I don't want more publishers encouraged to make and expand these kinds of services.

krang

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony would prefer to accept a dying version of Minecraft than use the XBL infrastructure like everyone else, so I highly doubt they'd allow this.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
If Game Pass is on the PS5, then why the hell would I buy an Xbox console next gen? I'd just pay the ÂŁ1 for that first month, cram as much as I can into it, and then cancel my subscription until a good deal turns up again.

I don't know, I just don't see there being that much of an advantage to this on Microsoft's side. Sure you get more people into your subscription service, but aren't you luring people away from your console ecosystem at the same time?

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I wonder if the games would be native on PlayStation or if Microsoft would require them to be streamed through xCloud.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is Sony can make more money with PSNow subs and game sales so undermining those sectors would be the opposite of Huge for Sony.
I think PS5 having something like a Halo is bigger than weakening PSNow short term. I guess it'll come down to if Sony feel the same or if they really don't want any other service having access to their Userbase ever.

Be interesting if the additional platform EA Access is coming to later this year is PlayStation, I think that would be a big sign that Sony's stance has changed, if not then yeah, probably likely they say no regardless of the immediate benefits to PlayStation hardware.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Gamepass on PlayStation doesn't make sense for MS. Why buy Xbox when PS5 plays all its games?
Why should they care about that? Game Pass reaching the audience of all the big three is ridiculous amount of power and basically would be a monopoly.
I think they should still release hardware for the fans but that's short term thinking. Sony just discovered this gen how big of a revenue digital services are (PS+ revenue is huge).

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love when people say microsoft are leaving the hardware business. They make some of the best hardware on the planet. They have hundreds of incredibly talented employees dedicated too it.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Yes. The Xbox will just be a fancy Windows 10 PC that is intended to be used on a TV. I could even see Microsoft offering an "Xbox Shell" for Windows 10 PCs that meet a minimum system requirement.

Meanwhile the PlayStation 5 will be a traditional console with extreme high quality exclusives. It might even come to a point where Xbox is no longer directly competing with PlayStation but rather Steam and Epic.
But Sony already has PS Now on PC. Are they competing with Epic and Steam?

Microsoft is simply pivoting to where they think they can make the most cash going forward. That is by having hardware, but also being a publisher whose games are coming out on as many devices as possible because tech is going to allow them to do that. Sony may well go in a similar direction especially with the likes of Google coming into the fray.

We do not need Blu Ray to watch 4K movies, and we are getting to a position where one will not need to have a console to essentially play the latest games.

Nov 30, 2017
So everyone saying they are making smart moves need to realize the obvious.

Its a streaming service. You can put a PSNOW thread on the front page right now and it will be called garbage by most.

X cloud on the other hand isnt out and its brilliant? MS doesnt have secret sauce to make it feel like your playing on hardware in front of you.

I have PSNOW and it works. Local hardware will always rule until were all hooked up to fiber.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Well MS hardware wise is not really competing with Nintendo, so it would make perfect sense for Nintendo to want this type of service. Now Sony and MS do actually compete for a similar market, but I still think allowing this service on PS would be smart for Sony. Since their service would gain even more software, now MS has a lot to gain as well if they can put compelling software on gamepass, and can actually get people to subscribe to gamepass.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
MS would stream everything not in their ecosystem. And MS has the infrastructure to actually support a streaming service "free" for them. Sony simply does not. The growth of Azure is the key here

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be weird to see this on a Sony console when they don't allow EA Access yet, if that changes I could see it happen tho.

I don't see how they turn this down. Their main goal continues to push consoles. Their main competitor in the high-end space is MS. If they're willing to put their games on PS platforms through Game Pass, even with it being streaming, that's beneficial to Sony just like it is tot hem. Because from Sony's perspective you can still play the next Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Polyphony etc. game on your PS4/5, but now you'll also be able to stream the next HALO, Forza and Gears. And MS obviously gets the wide net of users that PS consoles have.

Nov 12, 2017
Yes, quite possibly. As Matt alluded to.
Lol really again?
They have 2 console on the market
The most powerful one
They building two sku's for next gen ..where Phil at E3 want build again the most powerful one.
Spencer in lots interviews said that local computing is no going anywhere in the near future and they will continue to cater to the gone consoles market

= Ms wanna leave the console hardware ........ooookay

Xcloud is what Sony wanted psnow to be...when it launched years ago . before it basically being retired from being installed on tv and different devices........xcloud is also combined with a service (gamepass) that is truly winning the mindshare

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Sony already has PS Now on PC. Are they competing with Epic and Steam?

Microsoft is simply pivoting to where they think they can make the most cash going forward. That is by having hardware, but also being a publisher whose games are coming out on as many devices as possible because tech is going to allow them to do that. Sony may well go in a similar direction especially with the likes of Google coming into the fray.

We do not need Blu Ray to watch 4K movies, and we are getting to a position where one will not need to have a console to essentially play the latest games.
Streaming it is not the present, is not the future, and it won't ever be a mainstream thing unless we can supersede the laws of physics.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I see why Microsoft would want this. But why would Sony (or Nintendo) allow this instead of launching their own subscription service? It's hard for me to understand why these companies would sit and watch how Microsoft becomes the Netflix for gaming...
Nintendo likely wouldn't do it because the infrastructure necessary. Sony has some of the infrastructure in PS Now but hasn't made their push a priority for the brand nor have they changes their stance on even crossplay with consoles the way MS and Nintendo are open to it.

Microsoft's biggest competition at the moment in this streaming space is Google, with Amazon and even Apple seeming like the main potential competition before Sony, unless Sony is willing to make similarly bold moves soon. They've scaled back the service since launch rather than expanded it, so they already are in danger of losing the lead they had in the space at the start of this generation.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Streaming it is not the present, is not the future, and it won't ever be a mainstream thing unless we can supersede the laws of physics.
No one is talking about streaming in isolation. The future of gaming with phones ever getting better, physics scaling, graphics all scaling is in getting as many games into as many devices as possible. Audio went that direction, Audio-Video has gone that direction and gaming is really starting to make a push for it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This article feels obsolete since Sony isn't going to allow it since they already have their own service, and we already know Nintendo is on board.

Eventually? yes. Not next gen tho.

Sony sell movies on PS4 but also have netflix and amazon prime apps - the latter of which lets you buy/rent movies and watch on your PS4, directly competing with Sony's own movie store

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Key word here. YET.

Streamable movies or music were a pipe dream not too long ago.

The Future Is Now Old Man
Calm down sonny.

There is a big difference between streaming video and streaming a game, even you must be capable of understanding that.

(and streaming movies and music has been a thing for 20 years)

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
They will stay in the hardware business like technically they are in the PC market with Surface.

The key here, they are no longer interested on selling more consoles, than their competitors.

Right, the game now isn't to be "the box" that everything streams through that goes to your TV and to take a cut of that, but to be the game streaming provider on your TV, phones, tablets, etc.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
This would be absolutely fantastic. I doubt it would happen but games would be in a much better place with all 3 companies working together.

Feb 10, 2018
I wonder if the games would be native on PlayStation or if Microsoft would require them to be streamed through xCloud.

If the games could be downloaded on PlayStation that would create a lot of challenges, I mean would they just be PlayStation versions?

When you think about it game pass on PlayStation creates so many potential issues, I don't think it will happen.

This is just Windowscentral saying this.

Putting gamepass/Xcloud on Switch and mobile makes sense but putting it on PlayStation just has to many issues.

Just look at the cross play situation.
Theres no way both parties will get what they want, the meetings and talks would collapse.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
aside from xcloud - I also want 'remote play' equivalent from MS. So if my internet is down (or slow) I can still download games locally to my Anaconda and stream to my switch/phone/PC for convenience

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how they turn this down. Their main goal continues to push consoles. Their main competitor in the high-end space is MS. If they're willing to put their games on PS platforms through Game Pass, even with it being streaming, that's beneficial to Sony just like it is tot hem. Because from Sony's perspective you can still play the next Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Polyphony etc. game on your PS4/5, but now you'll also be able to stream the next HALO, Forza and Gears. And MS obviously gets the wide net of users that PS consoles have.

Sony's main goal isn't to simply push consoles though. It's to connect gamer to creator and take a slice of the transactions between them. The console is just a means to that end.

If they carte blanche 'allow' a competing streaming platform onto their devices, they're enabling another middleman to stand between the user and the creator that isn't them.

If Sony allowed gamepass on PS hardware, I think it would most likely be for MS first party content only. They won't let MS dis-intermediate them with regard to other third party content Sony is themselves offering access to via their own services/platform. Yes, MS could offer a revenue share, but Sony ultimately wants that third party content being engaged with through their ecosystem/platform and to take the full platform-holder cut for themselves, not share it with MS. So I think they'd let gamepass operate as a third party publisher offering within their own ecosystem, but not as a fully-fledged ecosystem in its own right, competing with PS services for access to 'multi plat' third party games.

So I could see Gamepass on PS in the same way I could see EA Access on PS - as a gateway to content belonging to MS and EA only. I don't think Sony will allow them to use those services to serve up third party content that Sony wants to serve themselves to you. From the Jeux Video rumour it sounds like in the Nintendo case - if that's true - Nintendo will also be curating what content is exposed on their device. If that's true my guess is they'll probably also only allow stuff they're not competing for access to on their own platform.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Sony sell movies on PS4 but also have netflix and amazon prime apps - the latter of which lets you buy/rent movies and watch on your PS4, directly competing with Sony's own movie store
Because they have to. Putting out a console without Netflix or Amazon prime would put you at a serious disadvantage against Xbox if you want to be the primary device in the living room. GamePass isn't as essential as Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Deleted member 34385

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
i am guessing that both sony and nintendo might offer it and the moment xbox pulls out of the hardware race, sony and nintendo drop xbox and kill it off, this would be a great game of thrones chess move