• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2017
Ah man there is nothing i enjoy more than a straight person lecturing people on what does and does not constitute homophobia. Jez Corden is clearly an idiot. Let him go home to his girlfriend who he had to bring up in his tweet for some reason (cause no homo, amirite?). If he wants to be best buds with people who are either legitimately homophobic or so lacking in empathy that they are happy to toss derogatory words for gay people around then he's well within his rights to do so, I just hope he isn't so lacking in self awareness that he considers himself an "ally" cause now that really would be fucking depressing.

Happy Pride month everyone!

Oct 25, 2017
No it fucking isn't you lying tosspot. Im also from Europe and I've known ever since I was a little lad that Faggot when directed at a person is a slur based on homosexuality.

If you'd said "What Faggot? I've always thought that was a type of food" I might cut you a bit of slack, as is, get lost.

Mostly definitely. Scotland here, and while folks unfortunately do use it ignorantly as an *insult*, it is very clearly a homophobic slur, and I'd like to think anyone beyond the age of early teen who knows what it means stops doing so, and is slightly mortified to have ever used it. You don't really get to take words like that back and especially not to reappropriate as a general insult. A high degree of being willfully disingenuous from gingerbread man I think.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I wonder why people think Europe is a paradise devoid of racism. I guess it's a way to be smug and feel superior to Americans.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
In Europe where I live Faggot is slang for stupid, lame or just annoying. It was never considered a slang against gay people. It's an offensive word, but in different countries, faggot has a different meaning.

Dealer an American gamer, so it has a different meaning over there.

Am I still unsure if saying Nintendo and PS4 gamers are gay or is he calling them stupid for playing crappy games? Either way he should apologise and clarify what he meant at least?
I know your banned now but WTF is wrong with some people?

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow...this thread...wow. Are people tweeting to Phil about this? With all of their (ms) talk about being inclusive stuff like this doesn't need to go unnoticed. Also, Jez needs to legitimately apologize on twitter.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I don't know about Dealer, but I don't think Colt has done anything questionable.

Yeah i dont think Colt is homophopic or anything. But he is huge Xbox fanboy. Hard to take some of his videos seriously when he tries to claim he is objective, but he really isn't.

Dealer is worst of all Xbox tubers, only crapgamer being even worse.

Btw please follow Rand. He makes nice videos.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer? Windows Central covers Windows/Xbox they aren't owned by Microsoft.

Yeah Phil Spencer. I know Windows Central isn't owned by Microsoft but Microsoft and the Xbox team talk a lot about a exclusivity and having a great community. The guy Jez promoted isn't inclusive or great or helping to make a great community. I just think people like that who are a big part of the Microsoft community should be confronted by the Xbox team.

No, but MS gives Corden and Dealer access to events, news, Xbox staff, etc. That should be cut off.

Exactly.

May 22, 2018
Is there any chance of Jez being banned as a source on Era? He doesn't seem to want to apologize or even reflect on what's happened, but I'm not sure if it's bad enough to warrant a ban.

Personally I say to hell with him. Let him be ignored until he makes it right.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
You are fucking kidding me with this.

I deal with a fair bit of people from the UK (I know not the same country), and none of them use that word to refer to gay people. A slur against gay people in the UK is 'bender' and that's problematic in and of itself. I have never heard any British people use that word to refer to something as lame. In fact, in the States, I went to an all boy high school and people called each other 'fa**' because we were all insecure homophobic assholes. Basically, the word you think means lame, does not mean lame. At all.
I'm in I'm the UK and that word is pretty much the worst thing you can say to someone that is gay.

It is also a meat based food product.

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I wonder why people think Europe is a paradise devoid of racism. I guess it's a way to be smug and feel superior to Americans.
Here in italy we're way worse than US folks, i can assure you that you guys haven't seen nothing compared to the italian fanboy of every kind (we even have Mussolini fans....)

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
9:30
I meant Noseworthy not Luke my bad

Thanks, not nearly so bad as I thought it might be given the subject matter of this thread! I'd even agree with him lol - there are a considerable quantity of Destiny haters that make their feelings known in any Era Destiny news thread, it must be quite arduous at times!

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey so do we know if this Dealer guy still says these things in recent years? Most of what I'm seeing is from 2016 and a podcast clip from like a few years ago.

Has ever even addressed these things? Ever apologized?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, to go as far as to claim the issue with his support is secretly fanboy bias lmao
What a fucking prick. Hopefully there's enough backlash to bite him in the back.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
No, but MS gives Corden and Dealer access to events, news, Xbox staff, etc. That should be cut off.
Oh sure. But I suspect Windows Central could also handle Jez. I dont know about dealer but if his access comes from being an "influencer" there is probably some group that handles that too. I figured most of the xbox youtubers were getting in as part of fanfest but if not then yea MS can fix that.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Hey so do we know if this Dealer guy still says these things in recent years? Most of what I'm seeing is from 2016 and a podcast clip from like a few years ago.

These days he just fanboys hard for Xbox and blocks people who call him out.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

From the OP he has scrubbed most of the offending tweets when he got called out.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

just google "Dealer_Gaming" and then "Gay"... you will still see some of the tweets he deleted.. some are from last year.

Oct 27, 2017

Jez immediately making me look daft for defending him. "Ill-advised edgy language" is the new "heated gamer moment".

I give up. This guy has some serious work to do on himself.

He keeps saying "years ago" but I bet it wouldn't be too hard to find much more recent uses of Dealer Gaming using demeaning language on Twitter or in audio.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Jez immediately making me look daft for defending him. "Ill-advised edgy language" is the new "heated gamer moment".

WTH.

"ill-advised edgy language"? Yeah, no that's straight up hate speech. It's sad Jez won't apologize and instead just keeps making excuses. Is Windows Central allowed as a source here?

Oct 27, 2017
In Europe where I live Faggot is slang for stupid, lame or just annoying. It was never considered a slang against gay people. It's an offensive word, but in different countries, faggot has a different meaning.

Dealer an American gamer, so it has a different meaning over there.

Am I still unsure if saying Nintendo and PS4 gamers are gay or is he calling them stupid for playing crappy games? Either way he should apologise and clarify what he meant at least?

Dealer Gaming is American using the term in the USA context, so I'm not sure what any of your whataboutism deflection has to do with anything?

Crazy Steve

Oct 27, 2017
mikeh9jkb.png
And Mike Ybarra even follows this dude? Really not a good look. And he only follows like 145 people.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Jez doubles down, stands by his personal friend, says this is manufactured drama set up by people with a motive of hatred - he just wants to pay his bills and play games. Oh and ERA can collectively go fuck themselves.

OK...

Xbox OT tells me he has scoops and is a cool guy

🤔

Seems that's at least 50% incorrect.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Oh sure. But I suspect Windows Central could also handle Jez. I dont know about dealer but if his access comes from being an "influencer" there is probably some group that handles that too. I figured most of the xbox youtubers were getting in as part of fanfest but if not then yea MS can fix that.
Yeah, I think that's all most mean when they ask about MS's response. Obviously MS can't control the language and actions of all their fans, and to be honest even screening "influencers" is not always an easy task (though all companies should put more work into it). But this chain of events is now prominent enough that it's reasonable to expect action going forward.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I'm always amazed when people say "but Eminem did it!" comparing an artistic form of expression that's focused purely in the mind set of EXTREME ANGER...to disagreeing with someone on the internet.

But yeah, "edgy".

Cancel them both.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
And Mike Ybarra even follows this dude? Really not a good look. And he only follows like 145 people.

Yeah, the higher-ups of all the gaming companies should be more careful on who they follow in social media because they might normalize people with problematic behaviours.

I hope that the situation discussed in this thread is the exception and not the rule.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Jez is a tool.

Defending casual use of homophobic language should not happen, this has nothing to do with our forum.

Those tweets were only 2 years ago, the guy who made them isn't apologising for them just ranting about how they don't define him.

This is not hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.