• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Along with Jez being trash, my main take away from this thread was that we have an Xbox Discord.

Can somebody shoot me an invite in pm?

OP
OP
xMaximusx

xMaximusx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is Jez's personal friend. Again, it wasn't a one off comment. His whole feed was filled with this stuff but he scrubbed it when people threatened to report him.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I cant believe theres still console warriors. This is like whenever Star Wars reveals that yet another Jedi somehow survived order 66.

Like theres folks seriously thinking calling some dude out for being an ass has anything to do with an Xbox?

I didn't know they still made that type of stupid.

Nov 14, 2017
it's in the OP of the thread

In Europe where I live Faggot is slang for stupid, lame or just annoying. It was never considered a slang against gay people. It's an offensive word, but in different countries, faggot has a different meaning.

Dealer an American gamer, so it has a different meaning over there.

Am I still unsure if saying Nintendo and PS4 gamers are gay or is he calling them stupid for playing crappy games? Either way he should apologise and clarify what he meant at least?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should ask Phil about this because it's gonna be a stain on their attempts to be inclusive and progressive

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Does Geoff Keighley know about this? We just might have next year's trending gamer.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
In Europe where I live Faggot is slang for stupid, lame or just annoying. It was never considered a slang against gay people. It's an offensive word, but in different countries, faggot has a different meaning.

Am I still unsure if saying Nintendo and PS4 gamers are gay or is he calling them stupid for playing crappy games? Either way he should apologise and clarify what he meant at least?
The bolded is completely bullshit. I'm European too.

I mean, think about what you just said. You're saying that the word that is being used as a derogative towards gay men is also used to imply negative qualities. In other words, using the word in that way would betray a negative opinion about gay people.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

in which country is that word devoid of any homophobic intent?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Not surprising that he's doubling down instead of just admitting he made a mistake.

Add the persecution complex on top of that and you got a big mess.

Nov 14, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Rationalising homophobia
in which country is that word devoid of any homophobic intent?

I'm from Ireland and faggot was never really a slur against gay people. It was used in a context calling someone stupid.

Even using boy has a different meaning in the United States, it a slang against black people there. Here is just hey you or watching yourself it weird I know.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You are fucking kidding me with this.

I'm from Ireland and faggot was never really a slur against gay people. It was used in a context calling someone stupid.

Even using boy has a friend meaning in the United States, it a slang against black people there. Here is just hey you or watching yourself it weird I know.

I deal with a fair bit of people from the UK (I know not the same country), and none of them use that word to refer to gay people. A slur against gay people in the UK is 'bender' and that's problematic in and of itself. I have never heard any British people use that word to refer to something as lame. In fact, in the States, I went to an all boy high school and people called each other 'fa**' because we were all insecure homophobic assholes. Basically, the word you think means lame, does not mean lame. At all.

Last edited:

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, let's shut this down now. This is just not true. Everytime we have one of these threads, someone jumps in and suggests that racial and sexual epithets don't have the same meaning in Europe.

The face that people refer to "Europe" as opposed to an actual country shows you how disingenuous this is.

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, let's shut this down now. This is just not true. Everytime we have one of these threads, someone jumps in and suggests that racial and sexual epithets don't have the same meaning in Europe.

The face that people refer to "Europe" as opposed to an actual country shows you how disingenuous this is.

They don't that's a fact. Claiming every country has the same beliefs and customs and thoughts and ideas is nonsense.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
They don't that's a fact. Claiming every country has the same beliefs and customs and thoughts and ideas is nonsense.
>
I mean, think about what you just said. You're saying that the word that is being used as a derogative towards gay men is also used to imply negative qualities. In other words, using the word in that way would betray a negative opinion about gay people.
this is just getting stupid

cease this

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Jez, I have both a PS4 and and Xbone (and only don't have a Switch because I can't afford it right now), and my 360 collection dwarfs my combined PS3 and Wii collection. I don't owe my allegience to any console maker.

So what's your excuse for me thinking your good buddy is absolutely awful? I mean even if you take away the garbage language, his voice is painful to listen to and he has a void of a personality.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Even Wikipedia highlights the issue. Some countries don't all think alike.
Faggot, often shortened to fag, is a pejorative term used chiefly in North America primarily to refer to a gay male.

Does not mean the word not offensive.

if you read the article it also mentions what it means in the UK... are you really calling people for "a kind of meatball"?

just stop... it means the same all over the world..

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Even using boy has a different meaning in the United States, it a slang against black people there. Here is just hey you or watching yourself it weird I know.

I live in Dublin and that is complete horseshit. It is not acceptable to go around calling people "faggots" in this country. You might hear kids and immature adult men using it but that doesn't mean it is not homophobic.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even Wikipedia highlights the issue. Some countries don't all think alike.
Faggot, often shortened to fag, is a pejorative term used chiefly in North America primarily to refer to a gay male.

Does not mean the word not offensive.

So the word is offensive, but it's not a gay slur in Ireland. Am I summing up your opinion on this correctly?

As someone else said, if the word is used to mean 'lame' and it comes from being a gay slur, you are essentially using it as a synonym to say gay people are lame. How is this not offensive? You can twist yourself in knots to try to rationalize this in any other way if you wish, but it really doesn't make any logical sense. And that's not even getting into the fact of using such language is problematic even if the word to you doesn't mean what it does to others.

As far as Eminem using the word, as Jez relates, Eminem is a homophobe. Not sure what else has to be said there.

Nov 14, 2017
if you read the article it also mentions what it means in the UK... are you really calling people for "a kind of meatball"?

just stop... it means the same all over the world..

Uk is not Ireland. We are very different culturally. We have two languages Gaelic and English and the slang we use is very different from English people. The people who have visited Ireland would know this.

Nov 14, 2017
I live in Dublin and that is complete horseshit. It is not acceptable to go around calling people "faggots" in this country. You might hear kids and immature adult men using it but that doesn't mean it is not homophobic.

I never considered it a slang against gay people growing up, and if you truly from Ireland you know this, stop spreading propaganda.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Uk is not Ireland. We are very different culturally. We have two languages Gaelic and English and the slang we use is very different from English people. The people who have visited Ireland would know this.
how about someone who lives in ireland
just stop this vapidity

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland

It's very much understood what that word means in Ireland so outside of a primary school playground I'm not sure how or where you hear it used so casually in a different context.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No one is claiming the UK and Ireland are the same culturally. I've been all over the UK itself and there are different cultures everywhere. I'll relate a story, I was at a random town in Wales for a 'stag-do' and once someone heard that I was American, they asked me what I thought of n-word(s). I told him that that's a racist term and that I'd prefer if he never talked to me again. Are you going to argue because I was in Wales that term isn't offensive?

I genuinely don't understand your point. And then we get to the point with how the word is being used in the tweets in the OP. And guess what, it's used to denigrate, to insult, etc. Sorry, there is really just no fucking evidence for what you're arguing.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

I love when people from Non-American countries dunk on this stupid thought. Thanks for these posts. The poster making that disigenious argument is obviously lying or uses it themselves and want a cover for it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not a good look. It shouldn't be hard to not be like this unless you are delusional, gone down the rabbit hole or a jerk or worse. People aren't out to get you because Xbox, Microsoft.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Phil Spencer decides to practice what he preaches and clamp down on this. It's completely unbecoming for anyone and is an awful look for a brand representative

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Phil Spencer decides to practice what he preaches and clamp down on this. It's completely unbecoming for anyone and is an awful look for a brand representative

Wouldn't it be on Windows Central to do something?

What's the likelihood Spencer will ever hear about this? Seems like a ridiculous expectation to have.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I never considered it a slang against gay people growing up, and if you truly from Ireland you know this, stop spreading propaganda.

What the fuck? Obviously you are banned but propaganda? Jesus. You may not have considered it to be a slur against gay people but that just means you were ignorant. Understandable for a child to be ignorant and use words they shouldn't without knowing how hurtful they are. Once you grow up you have to realise where the word came from. You say the F word isn't meant to be hurtful to gays here but by the same token the word "gay" itself is used as an insult here as well....you think that just mean lame too? fuck sake I've never been so embarrassed online.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be on Windows Central to do something?

What's the likelihood Spencer will ever hear about this? Seems like a ridiculous expectation to have.
I'm not familiar with the site and assumed they were part of the Microsoft family since other people brought Spencer up, like the Playstation blog or something, but I see that's wrong. I guess it explains the unprofessional behavior

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK

Yea,I've noticed this...every time,like clockwork.
I'm in the UK......a faggot is a type of meatball....and a fag is slang for a cigarette.......buuuuuttttttt.....everyone in the UK knows if you call another person a faggot its a homophobic slur.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales

No it fucking isn't you lying tosspot. Im also from Europe and I've known ever since I was a little lad that Faggot when directed at a person is a slur based on homosexuality.

If you'd said "What Faggot? I've always thought that was a type of food" I might cut you a bit of slack, as is, get lost.

Brinksman

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

Another Dubliner here, just backing this up. Everyone understands the homophobic connotations of this word. The other poster is completely disingenuous.

Nov 8, 2017
For some reason folks like Dealer Gaming have become the face of the Xbox community. What the hell was up with Mike Yabarra appearing on his podcast? Who at Xbox thought that was a good idea? Dealer has like 50K subs and pulled 30k-40k views on most of his videos. Is that the kind of exposure the Xbox team really wants?

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not familiar with the site and assumed they were part of the Microsoft family since other people brought Spencer up, like the Playstation blog or something, but I see that's wrong. I guess it explains the unprofessional behavior

this is the first sentence on the "About us" page

Status
Not open for further replies.