• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Can you explain this one? The original was an XBLA game that broke out pretty nicely. The second was on Game Pass and still hit #1 on the NPD revenue chart at $30 (and doubled the sales of the original in its first month). You must have a very interesting definition of "tanked".

I'll concede it had a great launch as a $30 retail offering (although that NPD rank doesn't account for Nintendo's digital sales, which to me means DKC: Tropical Freeze may have actually outsold it; we may never know). But if NPD is what we care about, it dropped like a rock by June (down from #1 to #20 on NPD), vanished by July. More relevant to me: Microsoft refuses to disclose concurrent/MAU numbers for the game. Won't say how many of its total players came as a result of Game Pass, and whether they stayed. "Five million players" is not the same as five million MAU.

"Tanked" might be erring on the side of harsh. Game Pass is obviously keeping people finding and installing it. Does that mean it's a sticky game? I'd love harder confirmation on that front, at which point I'll go ahead and eat this hat.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
in regards to old, dormant IPs, Perfect Dark seems like a good one to bring back IMO. Thinking about what a next gen version of that is pretty tantalizing.

The last time we thought a next-gen PD would be amazing, we got PDZ...

I'd like to see Kameo 2 and Mech Assault 2

There was a MechAssault 2. We want a MechAssault 3.

Not all MechWarrior games have to be turn-based or simulators. There's plenty of room for a more arcadey style.

What people don't get is they can't make a sequel to something THAT WON'T SELL, maybe you and a few thousand people really are vocal about it but in the end most games like the one you described are ... not that popular.

Hard to gauge popularity when you've never made a proper entry in a series or have left a series alone for two generations.

Conker - remaster + Project Spark
Banjo - vehicle-based + straight ports
Perfect Dark - sequel nothing like the original + half-assed remaster
Blast Corps - straight port
Jet Force Gemini - straight port
MechAssault - nothing since 2006 (DS spinoff)
Crimson Skies - just a re-release stripped of online play since 2003

Plenty of variety there too. A platformer, an adult platformer, an FPS, a puzzle game, a third-person shooter, a mech game, and a flight combat game.

Last edited:

Sherbert

Oct 27, 2017
I'll concede it had a great launch as a $30 retail offering (although that NPD rank doesn't account for Nintendo's digital sales, which to me means DKC: Tropical Freeze may have actually outsold it; we may never know). But if NPD is what we care about, it dropped like a rock by June (down from #1 to #20 on NPD), vanished by July. More relevant to me: Microsoft refuses to disclose concurrent/MAU numbers for the game. Won't say how many of its total players came as a result of Game Pass, and whether they stayed. "Five million players" is not the same as five million MAU.

"Tanked" might be erring on the side of harsh. Game Pass is obviously keeping people finding and installing it. Does that mean it's a sticky game? I'd love harder confirmation on that front, at which point I'll go ahead and eat this hat.
So basically ignore all evidence to the contrary because it doesn't align with your feelings? Good reporting dude.

Let's be pessimists and say they sold 1 million copies and 4 million people just played it via game pass or other initiatives. Would that be tanking?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
This really isn't a problem unique to Xbox fans, as we tick past 15 years after the last F-Zero game...

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Come on, fam.

It didn't really 'tank' by any reasonable metric. You fucked up, it's cool, we all make mistakes.

Own it and keep it moving.

Jun 22, 2018
From that article:
Both Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 were, for us, breakout hits of the spring. They exceeded what we expected them to do. Sea of Thieves has over five million players, State of Decay 2 has more than three million players. They both sold more than we expected and drove a lot of great engagement with Game Pass.

I think people base their view of how well something did simply on their own personal experience of seeing people playing or hearing about people playing it and not based on real business expectations or results.

I'm happy to hear both of those games have been successes for Xbox.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
SoD2 had 2m more players in less than a year.

Are we thinking anywhere near 2m Gamepass subscribers in that time?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Let's be pessimists and say they sold 1 million copies and 4 million people just played it via game pass or other initiatives. Would that be tanking?

Based on what my Seattle sources indicated during the game's development period, it was consistently pitched as a GaaS product that would revolve around hooking players and keeping them using Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass, and DLC. If it's driving repeat engagement and DLC sales, then that'd be a success. I'm looking into whether that's the case or not. Microsoft picks and chooses its announcements about games carefully, and when they don't break out MAU about a specific game, that's noticeable. That's what drove my choice of "tanking" in the first place.

At any rate, this thread is about a report claiming that Microsoft doesn't support sequels, and we're here arguing about how successful a sequel that it supported has turned out. The report linked by OP would've been more interested if it'd tried to do the same.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft is currently working on sequels for:
- Age of Empires
- Gears of War
- Halo
- Ori
- Flight Simulator
- State of Decay
- Wasteland
- Forza Motorsport
- Forza Horizon
and who knows, there are rumors they are also working on sequels for Fable and Perfect Dark.

Begging for sequels? They should be begging for new IP.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
WTF is this quote?
"Other franchises like Killer Instinct and Halo Wars, despite huge amounts of concurrent users, feel virtually abandoned by the big Seattle company."

Killer Instinct was supported for a solid three years. Why would they release another Killer Instinct this generation?

Obviously they'll make a new one for next gen. It was very successful for them. I just don't get this narrative lately, especially from that Maximillion thread, that MS abandoned Killer Instinct. Also, Halo Wars 2 came out two years ago and I guess I didn't think it did that well. But even then, I think MS has started to learn that pumping out sequels at a fast pace isn't very good in the long run.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Quite frankly, this will be up to the studios. It's hard to say how much of Rare not making Banjo-Threeie is their decision and how much of it was Microsoft. Also, Xbox's new studios all have full creative freedom and can create whatever they want. Sometimes studios also want to move on and try something new. Even the Gears developer has stated they might go for an entirely new IP in the future. Also, it's not true it never happens, as State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3 or Ori 2 show.

I agree that a lot of Xbox dormant IPs have great potential but I think if they came back they'd need to be treated right. I do think we're in for more Battletoads and Flight Simulator surprises in the future. Microsoft also has stated studios can share IPs and combine resources. We'll see if that happens.

If I could name five IPs to come back, these would be: Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Blue Dragon, Recore and Alan Wake, I'd love more Kameo and Lost Odyssey as well. The good news is: Whatever IP will come back, budget constraints and pressing release schedules will be a thing of the past. Rushed releases had a negative impact on quite a few of Microsoft's franchises this gen.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
The last time we thought a next-gen PD would be amazing, we got PDZ...

PDZ is a complex case. The project was quite ambitious (Rare planned an online multiplayer with 50 to 64 players with vehicles and huge maps employing up to 4 team bases) but it suffered from a development hell (Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360...), being a launch title and it obviously lacked proper resources to compete with Halo and Call of Duty.
Despite this, it managed to do very well both commercially (it made four times its money back) and critically. The franchise definitely deserves a come back with proper resources and enough time to develop it.

For us there was a definite gap between doing Perfect Dark 64 to Perfect Dark 360, where the team size just went ridiculous. But it's nowhere near the team sizes they have today where you've got 100, 200 people working on a team. On Project Dark Zero, we were probably 25 people for most of the project.

Eurogamer: Seems like nothing now.

Chris Tilston: Yeah. And then it ramped up in the end.

Eurogamer: There are over 500 people working on Call of Duty across seven studios.

Chris Tilston: Jesus Christ.

Because Perfect Dark Zero was intended to be an Xbox 360 launch title, the last stage of development was very challenging and several features had to be canceled so that the game could meet the launch deadline.[24] The number of players in multiplayer matches had to be reduced from 50 to 32, and a "dataDyne TV" mode that would have allowed players to upload and watch multiplayer matches over Xbox Live was eventually rejected.[24] Final development for the Xbox 360 was very rushed. The order was given to produce the discs five days before the Microsoft certification was complete. Rare later stated they felt very confident they would pass, but it was a significant risk producing 700,000 disks if a bug turned up.[25] According to Botwood, "very few people believed we could make launch, but everything came together in time and it was out there for day one."

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Exclusive franchises that should have had nextgen sequels if MS was on top of their shit:

- Crimson Skies
- Kameo
- MechAssault
- Splinter Cell (they would have found a way to keep this alive and exclusive)
- Perfect Dark
- Conker
- Blue Dragon
- Lost Odyssey
- Banjo
- Project Gotham Racing

Also, Mass Effect. They should have paid to keep it exclusive and of high quality. In addition to current gen games like KI and Sunset Overdrive that deserve to be continued.

These franchises had the potential to check every box missing from the MS portfolio of great exclusives in every genre. Their lack of vision remains disappointing.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Exclusive franchises that should have had nextgen sequels if MS was on top of their shit:

- Crimson Skies
- Kameo
- MechAssault
- Splinter Cell (they would have found a way to keep this alive and exclusive)
- Perfect Dark
- Conker
- Blue Dragon
- Lost Odyssey
- Banjo
- Project Gotham Racing

Also, Mass Effect. They should have paid to keep it exclusive and of high quality. In addition to current gen games like KI and Sunset Overdrive that deserve to be continued.

These franchises had the potential to check every box missing from the MS portfolio of great exclusives in every genre. Their lack of vision remains disappointing.
That list is far from complete and makes my heart hurt.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
PDZ is a complex case. The project was quite ambitious (Rare planned an online multiplayer with 50 to 64 players with vehicles and huge maps employing up to 4 team bases) but it suffered from a development hell (Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360...), being a launch title and it obviously lacked proper resources to compete with Halo and Call of Duty.
Despite this, it managed to do very well both commercially (it made four times its money back) and critically. The franchise definitely deserves a come back with proper resources and enough time to develop it.

It wouldn't have been much better if they'd been given more time. The entire idea behind the game was reinventing Perfect Dark. It looked, played, and sounded NOTHING like the original.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Based on what my Seattle sources indicated during the game's development period, it was consistently pitched as a GaaS product that would revolve around hooking players and keeping them using Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass, and DLC. If it's driving repeat engagement and DLC sales, then that'd be a success. I'm looking into whether that's the case or not. Microsoft picks and chooses its announcements about games carefully, and when they don't break out MAU about a specific game, that's noticeable. That's what drove my choice of "tanking" in the first place.

At any rate, this thread is about a report claiming that Microsoft doesn't support sequels, and we're here arguing about how successful a sequel that it supported has turned out. The report linked by OP would've been more interested if it'd tried to do the same.

Hmm, okay. Daybreak and Heartlands are the only substantial DLC released since the game released 15 months ago (but let's throw in the Independence and Doomsday packs too, so that's four) and while I don't check everyday, it's barely advertised on the Xbox Store/through GP any more and still it managed to hit that 5m players number and the devs have said it's still growing.

As for your source, maybe they confused SoD 2 with SoT?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a Nintendo fan who has F-Zero, Advance Wars, Wave Race, just regular, non-gimmicky Star Fox among my favorite IP ... I can relate.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Microsoft behaves like an American third party (EA, Activision) even though they are a first party.
And their mobile games? Forza Street,Gears POP, and the older Halo Spartan games.

Thanks god the studios acquisitions seem to indicate a move to a better place.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
- Age of Empires
- Gears of War
- Halo
- Ori
- Flight Simulator
- State of Decay
- Wasteland
- Forza Motorsport
- Forza Horizon
and who knows, there are rumors they are also working on sequels for Fable and Perfect Dark.

I think people just want something new. And that list just shows how Microsoft falls back on things they know, instead of getting someone to remaster/remake a classic xbox IP and put a good amount of money behind it. They have done all but shit on tons of IP's they own that I THINK with the right developer could make waves if promoted right.

Hmm, okay. Daybreak and Heartlands are the only substantial DLC released since the game released 15 months ago (but let's throw in the Independence and Doomsday packs too, so that's four) and while I don't check everyday, it's barely advertised on the Xbox Store/through GP any more and still it managed to hit that 5m players number and the devs have said it's still growing.

As for your source, maybe they confused SoD 2 with SoT?

With xbox not giving specific numbers in how the game actually sold. It's still hard to see how well it did. SHowing player numbers to me amounts to didly shit. A lot of those could be free trials, or the 1$ month sub that xbox had a lot of.

Like they want to be netflix for gaming service, great. But netflix not only shows how many subs they have, they have a quarterly that shows how much from subs they are actually making from "paid" subscribers.

Microsoft is super weird in how they do numbers, and honestly in how they rope it in with other stuff it comes off shady. No other company is doing that in gaming. Sony makes a lot of products, but they don't rope Playstation in with music subs or something. They legit show how much hardware they sell, how many games they sold, how much revenue was created by those games, and by subs.

Microsoft does this weird thing where it shows a sector that xbox and it's services are roped into. And then don;t give hard numbers in how much money "paid" subscribers are making for them, on top of how many copies of the games that are on gamepass have sold, and how much revenue they have made from those said games at MSRP.

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
There is a load of IP they have either let go dormant, die or simply not revisited. To name just a few..

- Banjo
- Shadow Run
- Kameo
- Lost Odyssye
- Blue Dragon
- Scalebound (yes I went there!)

Ultimately they should let their teams decide what they want to do. There's little point in ordering a creative group on what they should design, its counter productive, MS know this very well.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah it would actually be nice if they were more sequel happy for some really good titles like Sunset Overdrive.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know many like myself would be happy with some sequels to games like Project Gotham, Banjoo, Perfect Dark but there are a lot of other lesser known titles I'd like a proper sequel and not skimp on like they are with Battletoads.

With xbox not giving specific numbers in how the game actually sold. It's still hard to see how well it did. SHowing player numbers to me amounts to didly shit. A lot of those could be free trials, or the 1$ month sub that xbox had a lot of.

Like they want to be netflix for gaming service, great. But netflix not only shows how many subs they have, they have a quarterly that shows how much from subs they are actually making from "paid" subscribers.

Microsoft is super weird in how they do numbers, and honestly in how they rope it in with other stuff it comes off shady. No other company is doing that in gaming. Sony makes a lot of products, but they don't rope Playstation in with music subs or something. They legit show how much hardware they sell, how many games they sold, how much revenue was created by those games, and by subs.

Microsoft does this weird thing where it shows a sector that xbox and it's services are roped into. And then don;t give hard numbers in how much money "paid" subscribers are making for them, on top of how many copies of the games that are on gamepass have sold, and how much revenue they have made from those said games at MSRP.

Sony had for years never divulged how well Playstation Plus was doing, how many Pro PS4 systems are sold through a complete breakdown. In fact they were pretty adament about even giving NPD figures during that whole PS3 generation. Sony was also well known to blurt out they had 60 million or 70 million PSN accounts without every admitting many were duplicates on the same system or free accounts. Ask yourself, how public was Sony giving a breakdown of Vita sales in the last couple of years by region? They are not as transparent as you think they are.

You could actually just try and be a consumer and not worry about such things and just enjoy the services like Game Pass. To me there is nothing out there that offers as much value, PERIOD.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I know many like myself would be happy with some sequels to games like Project Gotham, Banjoo, Perfect Dark but there are a lot of other lesser known titles I'd like a proper sequel and not skimp on like they are with Battletoads.

Sony had for years never divulged how well Playstation Plus was doing, how many Pro PS4 systems are sold through a complete breakdown. In fact they were pretty adament about even giving NPD figures during that whole PS3 generation. Sony was also well known to blurt out they had 60 million or 70 million PSN accounts without every admitting many were duplicates on the same system or free accounts. Ask yourself, how public was Sony giving a breakdown of Vita sales in the last couple of years by region? They are not as transparent as you think they are.

You could actually just try and be a consumer and not worry about such things and just enjoy the services like Game Pass. To me there is nothing out there that offers as much value, PERIOD.

I find it weird. Sony has done some shady number stuff, but I would argue it had more to do with DVD/Blu-ray players being included in their consoles in a time where other companies including themselves had other models out in the market.

And vita yea, they were shady with that stuff.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sony was less forthright with figures back in the PS3 days, just as Microsoft is with Xbox figures today, because the figures simply aren't or weren't as impressive as past numbers, and thus wouldn't look as good to shareholders and investors. That is no doubt why Microsoft quotes 'player numbers' now, instead of giving a breakdown of both sales and Game Pass downloads. They obviously want to conflate or obfuscate things to make them appear more successful, boosting optics as much as humanly possible. Thus they choose the metric that will have by far the most excess or irrelevance, but that offers the highest number, eg a player count that includes players who would have bought the game used, or borrowed it, or digitally shared it, or played it via a GP trial, or played it off the back of a ÂŁ1/$1 GP offer, or made multiple accounts and whatever else.

Last edited:

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it weird. Sony has done some shady number stuff, but I would argue it had more to do with DVD/Blu-ray players being included in their consoles in a time where other companies including themselves had other models out in the market.

Sony hides PlayStation 3 sales data as profits fall

It's insane how every Xbox thread turns into a shitshow where talks go all over the place. I shouldn't even have to mention Sony but some of you are so adament talking like as if Microsoft is the most shady company out there ALL the time.

I would argue what most people would want is a mixture of new IP's, some old franchises reborn and some existing franchises to carry on. It's about balance and believe or not Microsoft actually has quite a diversified list of studios now. That's why the future looks rather promising. In my opinion and maybe my opinion only, is that they really need to up the scale of quality. I think that is where they continue to struggle and Phil admits it. Crackdown, State of Decay, Recore, Sea of Thieves lack of content at launch, Scalebound looked really rough, Quantum Theory was overly hyped for what it was.

I'm hoping they can get it all together because they have managed to get the hardware under control with some beautiful designs and engineering, their backwards compatrability efforts are secong to none (some of the X enhancements are impressive as hell). Online and cloud infrastructure are secong to none. Plus with the backing of Nadella and the funding they are getting there are no more excuses moving forward.

Sony was less forthright with figures back in the PS3 days, just as Microsoft is with Xbox figures today, because the figures simply aren't or weren't as impressive as past numbers, and thus wouldn't look as good to shareholders and investors. That is no doubt why Microsoft quotes 'player numbers' now, instead of giving a breakdown of both sales and Game Pass downloads. They obviously want to conflate or obfuscate things to make them appear more successful, boosting optics as much as humanly possible. Thus they choose the metric that will have by far the most excess or irrelevance, but the highest number, eg a player count that includes players who would have bought the game used, or borrowed it, or digitally shared it, or played it via a GP trial, or made multiple accounts or whatever else.

This is true but look at each company as a whole. While Playstation has made a huge return to profits for Playstation, Sony as a company is still a shell of itself to past decades. Meanwhile Microsoft is the most valuable company in the world, so who is making the best moves moving forward?

Plus gaming has changed as well. All of the online investments with Azure is all integrated too. That's why Sony is being partnered there. They also have the ability to really push Game Pass to new platforms and xCloud. That to me is the real battle moving forward, services, not hardware sales.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
There comes a point where some can't continue to dismiss high player numbers as people using free trials or $1 offers for Gamepass.

It starts to become ridiculous when that's literally all some grasp at to wave away numbers they don't agree with.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Absolutely true. Microsoft doesn't offer sales numbers, and they don't offer subscription numbers for Game Pass. It makes the "5 million people have played game X" quotes a little meaningless.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's "shady", but it certainly could be more transparent.

I'm not dismissing the player counts Microsoft has released. They're high and I'm certain that they're totally legitimate. However, given the option, I would definitely be interested in seeing sales numbers and Game Pass subscription numbers.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There comes a point where some can't continue to dismiss high player numbers as people using free trials or $1 offers for Gamepass.

It starts to become ridiculous when that's literally all some grasp at to wave away numbers they don't agree with.

That's a bit intellectually dishonest for you to say or specifically highlight, considering that was just one of multiple examples of potential reasons for extra player numbers given.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

it's not that folks don't agree with those numbers it's that they don't tell the whole story or rather a more vague one. Truth be told we don't know really how well SoD2 did. We don't have sales figures, we don't know what the budget of that game was, nor how much money it made. So we really don't know if the game was profitable, which is important since it determines whether they will make more within that franchise, something fans would surely want to know. Their "player" figures are probably the most vague a company can be on how successful the game is. Makes it even muddier when the game is available on a service.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Does Microsoft really have anything to do with Ryse outside of publishing the first game?

Pretty sure it's Deep Silver's ip.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Hell, even if 80% of the playerbase was from GamePass it's not a bad thing. That's what MS wants, people on GamePass.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Does Microsoft really have anything to do with Ryse outside of publishing the first game?

Pretty sure it's Deep Silver's ip.

Yea they don't own the IP from what I remember of that deal.

Well then they need to start releasing numbers. We are talking about funding games after all, specific IPs Microsoft owns. It's not super expensive to contract someone like Other ocean to make a remake of Conker. I mean shit they have Double fine now, I bet Tim would love to put his spin on a old xbox classic if given the chance.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Fully agreed. It's quite lame, we can list amazing IP until we're blue in the face that they're just sitting on that people would lose their shit if sequels were announced.. their follow up rate on things not called Forza, Halo or Gears is pretty abysmal. Is there going to be a Killer Instinct follow up? Who knows?

Thank fuck for Ori 2.

Last edited:

Gronnd

Oct 27, 2017
- Age of Empires
- Gears of War
- Halo
- Ori
- Flight Simulator
- State of Decay
- Wasteland
- Forza Motorsport
- Forza Horizon

44% of that is gearshaloforza.

You are strengthening his point, not weakening it.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
JRPGs, sequel or not.

I just cancelled my subscriptions to Game Pass. Nothing this year impressed me and I'm walking away from it for a few months.

Jun 22, 2018
Or The Outer Worlds in 2 months.

Or Blair Witch in 14 days.

Or Age of Empires 2 in 3 months.

The diversity is great.
For real. I've played a huge variety of games on game pass, even a lot that I never would have played under normal circumstances. It's kind of broadening my gaming tastes and introducing me to new stuff. It's really improved my gaming experiences lately.