• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But FH4 plays on the Xbox One and on PC and looks amazing on a high end PC. Scaling works wonders.

It doesn't create miracles though.

If Xbox did this it would mean PS5 is going to slaughter them when it comes to how much more advanced and better looking their exclusives are.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
you need to expand your thinking and actually realize how game development works. Nothing to show off? the newest games in development will scale to the power of the Console. You won't get higher FPS/Resolution/Ray tracing on Xbox One X, but if you want that, you would have a Scarlett.

Its exactly how Xbox one X works with Xbox one S. Developers build games that scale to the power of the hardware.
I feel like there is more to game desing than just resolution and fps though, going from yakuza 0 which is a ps3 remaster then yakuza 6 is a pretty big step up. I thought Yakuza 0 looked great fro a ps3 remaster but when i went to 6 which was built for the ps4 it was a huge step up in immersion due to small things like not having as many loading screen for a more seamless world or just having more physics added to the world which make it more lifelike,

PorscheDesign

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I certainly would not want Spider-Man 2 to have to take PS4 into account during development, though. I want it's sole focus to be on PS5. This focus is why we get such amazing graphics out of shitty tech. (God of War, Days Gone, etc)

you realize game development happens on PC right? A lot of people need to start changing their thinking on game development actually works, they don't focus on a specific console, they build games with high textures, frames per second, ray tracing, etc and then optimize it for a console. The POWER matters, not just being focused on one console. Development tools are much better now that a game can just scale down to work on lower end hardware, until we reach an inflection point where lower end hardware is no longer a tangible solution for new gaming tech.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Those of you calling this a terrible decision have apparently had your heads in the sand for years now. Microsoft isn't about selling the most plastic boxes anymore. They're about selling the most software in the most places. Can we let go of that mentality?
giphy.gif

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think they're trying to sell 50 million of these. The paths of Xbox and Playstation are finally diverging after almost 20 years of locking horns.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
If it's just MS games, I don't care

But if it happens to third party games because they have to sign an agreement with MS to not have a significant difference between games on Xbox and PS5, it's just so bad...

Wait & see

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Well with both companies likely to offer backwards compatibility at launch this is going to be an interesting situation.

Do you play a PS4 game on Ps5 and have it look like a PS4 game?

Or do you play an Xbox One game on Xbox Scarlett and have it look like an Xbox Scarlett game?

Because we've got those late gen titles that are already going to be absolutely crippled by the base Xbox. I wonder how Cyberpunk is going to look on Xbox One vs the PC.
On Xbox at least this is the case for certain. You buy a game it will run on a variety of Xbox consoles and scale to the hardware accordingly.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a bit of word confusion happening... they're saying that the games at launch will be cross released, and there will continue to be cross-released games for a few years, not that every game will be cross released for a few years after launch.
Yeah, looking at it now it seems to be two separate statements. "No exclusives at launch" and then "Cross Gen games will exist for a few years as is the norm."

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Yes, open world games are limited by the speed in which the world assets can be streamed. That doesn't mean a game couldn't be made playable on a wide range of hardware.

Spider-Man was still fun right? That GDC talk is literally your example of a game being able to be scaled across different levels of hardware.
They had to limit the speed you can webswing... It's not just about scaling the graphics, it has direct impact on the gameplay design.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you realize game development happens on PC right? A lot of people need to start changing their thinking on game development actually works, they don't focus on a specific console, they build games with high textures, frames per second, ray tracing, etc and then optimize it for a console. The POWER matters, not just being focused on one console. Development tools are much better now that a game can just scale down to work on lower end hardware, until we reach an inflection point where lower end hardware is no longer a tangible solution for new gaming tech.

I know exactly how game development works. Like I said, I would not want PS4 to be taken into consideration when they are developing God of War 2 or Spider-Man 2. And luckily it won't be as I don't see Sony following this same path.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
I certainly would not want Spider-Man 2 to have to take PS4 into account during development, though. I want it's sole focus to be on PS5. This focus is why we get such amazing graphics out of shitty tech. (God of War, Days Gone, etc)
Spider-Man 2 being playable on PS4 era hardware would have no ill effect on the game. They are already showing you the improvements that can and are being made.

And I'm not really sure what to make about your last comment. Plenty of games have really good graphics and can scale to a large range of hardware.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
That isn't at all what it means. It means that the Xbox One version will look like crap and run worse when compared to the newer system. Nothing more. You have to assume MS is building the tools to enable devs to handle this sort of scaling more easily. If they aren't building those tools, well, then it might be a bad idea.
What it means is devs will be handcuffed having to design and make games run on seven-year-old hardware.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
This does not happen every gen when it comes to first parties .
Name 1 gen where there was no first party exclusive for a year or more.
What new gen console had 0 exclusives?
I already edited that. It happened this gen.

Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2, and Rise of the Tomb Raider were intended for XB1 with down ports.

Anything still in dev is probably launching in XB1 for Game Pass. Anything new started will be exclusive to Scarlett.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I actively don't believe this.

There will be exclusive Scarlett games at launch.

Oct 25, 2017
That isn't at all what it means. It means that the Xbox One version will look like crap and run worse when compared to the newer system. Nothing more. You have to assume MS is building the tools to enable devs to handle this sort of scaling more easily. If they aren't building those tools, well, then it might be a bad idea.
There are ideas they won't be able to do if they have to get it on X1.

I believe Shadow of Mordor, for example, couldn't get the Nemesis system going on PS360 (or it was at least significantly hampered).

Regardless, I still think not having a big game that is developed solely for next gen hardware is a mistake. A game like that would blow current gen out of the water (taking into account certain factors but yeah).

I think this is false the more I think about it.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Wonder if this potentially refers to streaming or actual native console play. Many games coming out lately are really struggling on the S so to think a new generation would still have to run games on the S feels somewhat concerning. Particularly given the CPU leap we're expecting.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If it's just MS games, I don't care

But if it happens to third party games because they have to sign an agreement with MS to not have a significant difference between games on Xbox and PS5, it's just so bad...

Wait & see

They'll try to hold back development as much as they can but there's only so much you can do. 3rd party games on ps5 that are willing to shoot for parody will be at a big disadvantage in thr market to ones that don't.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
You guys act like this didn't happen with the 360 and XB1.

At worst, another studio has to handle Xbox One ports for first party games.
It didn't though. The only cross gen MS game was FH2. Forza 5, Ryse, Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, etc were all exclusive. Same goes for Xbox->360

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I could understand this happening for maybe the first 12 months of Scarlett's lifespan. That's kinda how it is for most console generation transitions anyway. Current-gen had almost no current-gen-exclusive AAA games throughout 2014. The first third party one was Assassin's Creed Unity which came out in fall 2014.

Throughout 2021 you're probably gonna see near zero PS5/Scarlett-exclusive games. Sony's first-party games will probably be almost the only ones. And if things go as some suspect, cross-gen games aren't even gonna be multiple SKUs -- you're gonna buy the game once and it's just gonna run at different specs depending on the generation of hardware you have.

Next-gen transition is gonna feel more like a soft launch than ever before.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
That makes no sense. Current gen games are struggling super hard on base xbox one. How are they gonna get more demanding games working on that dud.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
We had insiders saying Ms is actually pitching the no reset of userbase as a feature to get more support on Xbox, it's also why clearly they can go all in this year at E3, because it's just one eco system.

The signs were all there, Ms themselves have been saying this is coming, there's no way this isn't true.

I think there'll be a lot of overlap initially but there has to be some showcases for the new gen, especially for anaconda. Going for high performance just almost for its own sake doesn't make much sense imo, and would be a mistake - it needs showcases.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make sense from business standpoint.
MS is making content to push subscription not a particular hardware.
If they make exclusive for scarlet, those gamepass subscribers on Xbox one will unsub and they don't want that.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
And how many PS4's did Sony sell in April? 100k? Why are you looking at one month. Way to be disingenuous!
This year, Sony sold 34% more PS4 than Microsoft sold Xbox One. And again, I think Xbox One S count for the majority of Xbox One sales. We don't have any numbers for Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro sales (except in Japan), but I doubt they would be profitable without new consumers and each year, it's harder to attract new consumers.

Who's saying they won't attract new consumers? Plenty of people don't own an Xbox One and may opt for Scarlet. Get it?
There is four possibilities for a consumer about next-gen:
  1. He already owns a Xbox One (S or X).
  2. He already owns a gaming PC.
  3. He already owns a PlayStation 4.
  4. He don't own any old gen console (or only Switch).
In cases 1 & 2, the consumer doen't have any interest to buy a Xbox (2020), except for graphics (and it's not true for 2 if it has a recent gaming PC). Yes, there is some people who wants the best graphics available and are OK to buy a new console just for that, but is there really 10, 20 or 30 millions of consumers like that? i really doubt about that.

In case 3, he has many reasons to buy a PlayStation 5 and no real reason to buy a Xbox (2020). He has interest for Xbox exclusives? He can buy a Xbox One for half the price. It's the same for case 4.

You will maybe say "for Microsoft, it's the same thing if people buy Xbox One or Xbox (2020)", but it's absolutely not true. Publishers won't support current-gen forever. One day, they will stop to make games for Xbox One/PlayStation and consumers who buy a Xbox One and not a Xbox (2020) would be lost for Microsoft, because they won't be able to buy new games, so services will be less interesting for them, unless they buy a all new console.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I always felt that the way things have been heading, my xbox one x would be forward compatible.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark

Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2, and Rise of the Tomb Raider were intended for XB1 with down ports.

Anything still in dev is probably launching in XB1 for Game Pass. Anything new started will be exclusive to Scarlett.
No, it didn't happen with Xbox One. It had launch exclusives like Forza 5 and Ryse.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Now this reminds me Shadow of Mordor. It has compromise not only in graphics but also gameplay (simplified Nemesis system) on PS3/X360 compare to current gen. Can it be that X1 cross gen games will have simplified gameplay system compare to whatever next Xbox is?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2, and Rise of the Tomb Raider were exclusives to XB1 with down ports.

What happen this gen ?
XB1 had DR3 ,RYSE that could only be played on XB1 .

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine the difference between the X and scarlett won't be massive so I guess it makes sense with MS's strategy and not wanting to upset X adopters.
Not sure what that means for Xbox One S games, would be nice/interesting if MS removed their clause that every X game must be on One.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Well one more reason to not get Scarlet. But to be honest I don't expect much more from PS5 first 2 years. They probably put out Horizon Zero Dawn 2 at launch but then it will be a long wait for GoW2, Spiderman 2 etc. and they will bank on backward compatibility/ports... Worked for Switch and it sucked there, too.

PorscheDesign

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Nah, I actively don't believe this.

There will be exclusive Scarlett games at launch.

no there won't, there will be NEW games thats run on Scarlett with all the high end capabilities like 60 FPS/4K/Ray Tracing that will give a noticeable difference to to current gen but that doesn't mean those games can't scale down to lower end hardware like Xbox One S/X

Why is this so hard to understand? When you play Apex Legends, you can have it running on the highest spec PC with an insane FPS and max resolution but it always works just fine with lower specs on a pc with a single gtx 1050.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
NO IT DOESN'T

game development happens on high end hardware first, why do you think Scorpio SDKs were shipped with higher specs than Xbox One X. MS has built development tools that makes it easy to scale down games.
How is a developer supposed to develop a game taking advantage of an ultra fast SSD (for example) and then have it magically scale down to a system running a 5200rpm hard drive?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It doesn't create miracles though.

If Xbox did this it would mean PS5 is going to slaughter them when it comes to how much more advanced and better looking their exclusives are.

Yep, gonna be a fun ride to watch Horizon 2 and Fable 4 comparisions if this happens.
But hey gonna be a Xbox One S game running @8K@144FPS@ Anaconda so who cares right ?!

There's no 360 version because the game is impossible to scale or because the development tools and process are completely changed from 360 to xbone?

People buy next gen hardware, among other many other aspects, because they want to play games that can be scaled down.
They want bigger, better, more complex, more detailed, worlds.
And thats why everyone here is saying its a odd decision.
Pushing no exclusives for a few years means you wont have this kind of games on Scarlet devices, at least not from MS 1P games and this is disapointing for many.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people saying this happens every gen serious? Both Xbox One and PS4 got exclusive games in their first couple of years.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no there won't, there will be NEW games thats run on Scarlett with all the high end capabilities like 60 FPS/4K/Ray Tracing that will give a noticeable difference to to current gen but that doesn't mean those games can scale down to lower end hardware like Xbox One S/X

Why is this so hard to understand? When you play Apex Legends, you can have it running on the highest spec PC with an insane FPS and max resolution but it always works just fine with lower specs on a pc with a single gtx 1050.

Well if there is it makes the console incredibly unappealing, at least initially.

Around the 3 year mark of the scarlett family lifecycle it might be worth it, but at launch, if you're right, this is basically an Xbox One X Pro until that point.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Less and less reason for people to purchase an Xbox.

Makes you wonder why Microsoft are even bothering with next-gen, pump all of that R&D money into game development to benefit everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Probably will just wait for whatever the mid gen upgrade is then, just like I did this gen. I don't use my X for anything but BC and the occasional console exclusive so this doesn't really bother me.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Right, game was still fun right?

A version can be made that will take advantage of a faster streaming world, while the PS4 version still exists.
I doubt that developers will make 2 different gameplay designs. There will absolutely be PS5 exclusives, Sony has said they want a fast transition to PS5 and that is only achieved by making desirable games only available on the new console.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
It still launched with exclusives.
Then Microsoft is going with a PC like solution for next gen. With all the talk of first party devs being given a bunch freedom, it would be weird if devs were now restricted to the XB1.

Do we know if all first party games are coming to PC? If so then yeah, all current projects could probably launch on XB1 with tweaks.