• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
If it's true that all or nearly all next gen games will be designed with 2013 Xbox One specs in mind then they do what they are already doing with the X and just give the games higher resolutions and framerates and maybe a few tiny graphical upgrades like better shadows, more foilage, etc. This would be a brain dead move on Microsoft's part so I'm really hoping this is not true. Otherwise PS5 games will looks vastly better then the next Xbox.

I say this as someone who owns both a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I want Microsoft to succeed because competition is important but I personally have not been happy with Microsoft's first party lineup support since they started killing off all their great franchises I cared about (anything Rare, Alan Wake, Fable, etc).

Andaconda will simply have upscaled Xbox One games just like the X has been getting (and barely at that) IF these rumors are true. We should all be hoping Microsoft isn't taking this approach with next gen.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to the inevitable 2+ years of moaning and groaning about cross gen titles, the same thing that happens every god damn generation, as if it's a giant surprise that publishers want to make money off of their titles.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your business goals differ from Microsoft's. If putting their shit on Steam doesn't tell you they don't give a fuck how you get into their ecosystem, don't know what will.
So you are suggesting Scarlet is being released with only partial support? That you really think MS don't care about next gen console period? That sounds farfetched, but we will see how far t h at gets MS. Console release isn't cheap.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
People ITT:
u-g-F5EYCR0.jpg
who wants to believe that? people voicing their concerns about the rumor =/= wanting the rumor to be true lol
I look forward to the inevitable 2+ years of moaning and groaning about cross gen titles, the same thing that happens every god damn generation, as if it's a giant surprise that publishers want to make money off of their titles.
that is not the same case at all.
tell me of a generation that did not have an exclusive title for the first 2 years.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
tell me of a generation that did not have an exclusive title for the first 2 years.

This isn't some stupendous technological leap we're making. The games are going to look amazing on one system and probably a little more amazing on another. Developers will eventually build a greater understanding the architecture and the tools to make even better games and we'll all move on from the previous generation. This happens every god damn time.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There has been zero gen where on launch there is absolutely no exclusives .every gen has had its own exclusives plus the cross gen titles

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This isn't some stupendous technological leap we're making. The games are going to look amazing on one system and probably a little more amazing on another. Developers will eventually build a greater understanding the architecture and the tools to make even better games and we'll all move on from the previous generation. This happens every god damn time.
did ryse son of rome release on the xbox 360?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
who wants to believe that? people voicing their concerns about the rumor =/= wanting the rumor to be true lol

Tell me a generation where:
1) Consoles were using the same architecture
2) Game engines, APIs and tools allowed similar scalability
3) There were less diminishing returns

Switch got a port of Doom and will be getting one for Witcher 3 for gods sake. That's on a different architecture.

It spent most of its dev time on the 360. Nothing about that game couldn't have been scaled to the 360. That was a different time.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Yeh doubt this is true. Would be quite stupid from MS if so, especially since Sony's will almost certainly be doing the opposite.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
You are ignoring the competition. If both companies offer upgraded game experiences, then the one that offer next gen exclusives have an edge.
Until yesterday, it would have been insanity to suggest MS would release Scarlet without exclusives to show off its capabilities. And yet 24 hours later, here we are. People genuinely claiming MS would do fine because Sony doesn't exist somehow. That MS has no competition and that customers wouldn't shop elsewhere.
I'm not saying they wouldn't have exclusives just not at launch and there are plenty of games out already that can show its capabilities.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Tell me a generation where:
1) Consoles were using the same architecture
2) Game engines, APIs and tools allowed similar scalability
3) There were less diminishing returns

Switch got a port of Doom and will be getting one for Witcher 3 for gods sake. That's on a different architecture.
switch got a port of doom because its a linear 60fps title, and that one was heavily downgraded, below the low PC settings, at a very low resolution.
and dont count your eggs before they hatch, until the witcher 3 is announced for switch i am not going to believe that.
Anyway, if you think a game can be scaled down that much without having that compromises on the basic gameplay loop, then please, i wont stop you.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
There has been zero gen where on launch there is absolutely no exclusives .every gen has had its own exclusives plus the cross gen titles

I'm utterly baffled this completely asinine point continues to be made as if it's of any relevance in this day and age. Both of these systems are going to incredibly capable and put out remarkably beautiful visuals and games. There is zero reason games cannot launch on both until the next generation system gains a larger audience. They do not need "generational" exclusive games at launch, it's pointless and a waste of money.

There is no reason that titles cannot be on both systems. Both systems are incredibly capable. The new one will have selling points, the old one will still look amazing.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'm utterly baffled this completely asinine point continues to be made as if it's of any relevance in this day and age. Both of these systems are going to incredibly capable and put out remarkably beautiful visuals and games. There is zero reason games cannot launch on both until the next generation system gains a larger audience. They do not need "generational" exclusive games at launch, it's pointless and a waste of money.

There is no reason that titles cannot be on both systems. Both systems are incredibly capable. The new one will have selling points, the old one will still look amazing.
that is stopping the progression forward of video games. do you not want to give developers creative freedom?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Xbox one OG is definitely not a "capable console"in 2020 .even most games now are sub 900p with sub 30 Fps on original x1 let alone next gen games with new assets and design

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
They whipped up a huge defense force for always online. That ones a doozy and of course pr wasn't going to make it go over but they still managed to make it a major divisive conversation when it was clearly good for nobody. Talking points were disseminated and boosted by followers eventually echoing to news outlets in that incestuous cycle.

I don't know how effective this really is or why some companies do it more than others but it happens right before our eyes.
But like... That's not a specific indication of a strategy, its just a sociological phenomenon that exists whenever anything is announced. Always online was absolutely not supposed to be unpopular. It was a huge backfire that resulted in the removal or sidelining of the major players that backed the direction.

Many people changed their mind about xbox specifically due to the walking back of that policy. In this case its a much different situation, where it makes sense that some people might be ok with the direction we initially assumed this was going, as well as also ok with it being more in line with prior expections.

There's no need to do amateur psychology about this, its just a thing that doesn't need that much thought

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
that is stopping the progression forward of video games. do you not want to give developers creative freedom?
In many cases, more advanced hardware forces big teams to work on safer and safer projects due to the immense expense of asset creation at higher and higher fidelities. In essence STIFLING creativity.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
switch got a port of doom because its a linear 60fps title, and that one was heavily downgraded, below the low PC settings, at a very low resolution.
and dont count your eggs before they hatch, until the witcher 3 is announced for switch i am not going to believe that.
Anyway, if you think a game can be scaled down that much without having that compromises on the basic gameplay loop, then please, i wont stop you.

Where do you think AAA games that will release in 2020 and 2021 spent most of their dev time? Publishers aren't whipping out these gigantic dynamic worlds that will be doing things never done built to max out next gen hardware in the next few years...because it takes years to build those games and they just got the fucking dev kits.

Those other tech demos you guys are talking about, Killzone and Ryse, were developed on previous gen tech and only the graphics were next gen. Graphics are easiest to scale...and Ray Tracing will eat most of those new resources while also being the thing that makes year 1 and 2 games look next gen.

Where is the rationality, logic or common sense thinking? If Sony has better looking games than Microsoft to start next gen (a very reasonable assumption) it's because they've had giant, expensive AAA games in development much longer. That also means those games were developed on current gen hardware.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Where do you think AAA games that will release in 2020 and 2021 spent most of their dev time? Publishers aren't whipping out these gigantic dynamic worlds that will be doing things never done built to max out next gen hardware in the next few years...because it takes years to build those games and they just got the fucking dev kits.

Those other tech demos you guys are talking about, Killzone and Ryse, were developed on previous gen tech and only the graphics were next gen. Graphics are easiest to scale...and Ray Tracing will eat most of those new resources while also being the thing that makes year 1 and 2 games look next gen.

Where is the rationality, logic or common sense thinking? If Sony has better looking games than Microsoft to start next gen (a very reasonable assumption) it's because they've had giant, expensive AAA games in development much longer. That also means those games were developed on current gen hardware.
Launch exclusives have spent most their time On next gen early dev kits distributed since 2018/17 ? (Meaning first party stuidos )

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What happens to all the supposed advancements in AI, asset streaming, systems and things like machine learning if devs have to still code around jaguar CPU's and 5400rpm HDD's? Because there's a large buzz around these supposed next-gen features and how it has potential to really change the games we play.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox one OG is definitely not a "capable console"in 2020 .even most games now are sub 900p with sub 30 Fps on original x1 let alone next gen games with new assets and design

...and many gamers are fine with that. Meanwhile that same game will be 4K, 60 with better textures, and soft physics on the Anaconda...or 4K/30 with Ray Tracing. Why should the person who's fine with 900P/30...or even 720P/30 with no bells and whistles not be allowed to play the game just so those that spent $500 can feel better about justifying their purchase? It doesn't benefit anyone practically.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
There is zero reason games cannot launch on both until the next generation system gains a larger audience.
Reason 1: The games that focus entirely on the new hardware are going to look better than those that are still harmstrung by then 7 year old machines.

Reason 2: Next Gen exclusives are going to boost the adoption of next gen systems, which makes it a smart move to have them.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
What happens to all the supposed advancements in AI, asset streaming, systems and things like machine learning if devs have to still code around jaguar CPU's and 5400rpm HDD's? Because there's a large buzz around these supposed next-gen features and how it has potential to really change the games we play.

The assumption that games will be cross gen for 2 years is not based on a hard mandate. It's based on the assumption that what you described isn't going to be ready on a game for a few year. Devs aren't blowing past scalability anytime soon.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
...and many gamers are fine with that. Meanwhile that same game will be 4K, 60 with better textures, and soft physics on the Anaconda...or 4K/30 with Ray Tracing. Why should the person who's fine with 900P/30...or even 720P/30 with no bells and whistles not be allowed to play the game just so those that spent $500 can feel better about justifying their purchase? It doesn't benefit anyone practically.
Cause of I were to drop 500 on a brand new shiny console, I want to see a brand new shiny game that takes advantage of that console . I don't know why this needs explaining ? This is a console space not PC .we have had gens to allow developers to raise the minimum spec every 6 years .

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

It'll only effect Microsoft first party. All that other stuff will come from 3rd party and Sony.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
But like... That's not a specific indication of a strategy, its just a sociological phenomenon that exists whenever anything is announced. Always online was absolutely not supposed to be unpopular. It was a huge backfire that resulted in the removal or sidelining of the major players that backed the direction.

Many people changed their mind about xbox specifically due to the walking back of that policy. In this case its a much different situation, where it makes sense that some people might be ok with the direction we initially assumed this was going, as well as also ok with it being more in line with prior expections.

There's no need to do amateur psychology about this, its just a thing that doesn't need that much thought

It doesn't need that much thought at all. All they're doing is getting it out in front that they're not going to have any games ready. Let me know if that still feels like a lot of thought for you.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
There's a lot of focus on "looks" in this thread when suggesting the XB1 could run nextbox games. However the largest leap in this new generation is CPU based not GPU - something which can result in elements which would absolutely struggle to scale down unless you're restricting things to do so.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Cause of I were to drop 500 on a brand new shiny console, I want to see a brand new shiny game that takes advantage of that console . I don't know why this needs explaining ? This is a console space not PC .we have had gens to allow developers to raise the minimum spec every 6 years .

Who said there won't be brand new shiny games?

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
It'll only effect Microsoft first party. All that other stuff will come from 3rd party and Sony.
Third party publishers make cross-gen games anyway. However if Microsoft don't make exclusive content for there next gen console then adoption of next gen console will in my opinion be slower than this gen. Meaning it will take longer for it to be viable for third party publishers to make next gen only games.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
There's a lot of focus on "looks" in this thread when suggesting the XB1 could run nextbox games. However the largest leap in this new generation is CPU based not GPU - something which can result in elements which would absolutely struggle to scale down unless you're restricting things to do so.

This is true...but dynamic worlds or revolutionary AI that takes advantage of these new CPUs will take lots of time to develop. The argument isn't about making games cross gen forever. It's about making them cross gen while they can be scaled down.

I imagine we'll see demos of games in 2020 that will be next gen exclusive. I'd also imagine if those games are trying to pull off anything revolutionary, we'll be seeing them at a few more E3's after that.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Third party publishers make cross-gen games anyway. However if Microsoft don't make exclusive content for there next gen console then adoption of next gen console will in my opinion be slower than this gen. Meaning it will take longer for it to be viable for third party publishers to make next gen only games.

It'll just be more people moving over to Sony or high end PC. 3rd party will aim for graphics they know that's what sells.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't need that much thought at all. All they're doing is getting it out in front that they're not going to have any games ready. Let me know if that still feels like a lot of thought for you.
Glad to have reduced you back to the only salient point of speculation you made. In answer: we will see.

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
They do not need "generational" exclusive games at launch, it's pointless and a waste of money.

As a 'consumer', I want these companies to release 'generational exclusive games' that maximise the power of the high-end machines they're releasing. I want them to waste money for my sake.

It is true that any launch exclusive or launch window exclusive - typically can probably run in last-gen hardware with sufficient scalability, so they most likely started dev while dev kit and dev environment were still early and not mature. But that's not the point.

The point is that as consumers, I want companies, all companies to invest money into services/software/etc that are compelling factors to buy into their ecosystem. And exclusives are a big part of that.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is true...but dynamic worlds or revolutionary AI that takes advantage of these new CPUs will take lots of time to develop. The argument isn't about making games cross gen forever. It's about making them cross gen while they can be scaled down.

I imagine we'll see demos of games in 2020 that will be next gen exclusive. I'd also imagine if those games are trying to pull off anything revolutionary, we'll be seeing them at a few more E3's after that.
Why would it take time ? The first parties have had next gen dev kits since 2017

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Some of you people are seriously so entrenched in their console wars that they can't even imagine that there might be more to business decisions than just sheer sales numbers. If Microsoft only cared about selling as many consoles as possible, like some of you are suggesting, they wouldn't port their games to PC, Switch or start a game streaming service. It's really astonishing how many people still think like the gaming industry hasn't changed since the early 2000s.

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
This would be ridiculous, I struggle to believe it honestly. Sounds like a bad case of Chinese whispers.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Lol so do you disagree with anything or did you reduce it enough.
I disagree with your "gotchya" attitude to other posters, but i definitely think you could be proven right to some degree about this being intentional expectation-setting from some level of ms, assuming their actual rollout of games lines up with that idea.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Some of you people are seriously so entrenched in their console wars that they can't even imagine that there might be more to business decisions than just sheer sales numbers. If Microsoft only cared about selling as many consoles as possible, like some of you are suggesting, they wouldn't port their games to PC, Switch or start a game streaming service. It's really astonishing how many people still think like the gaming industry hasn't changed since the early 2000s.

As a 'consumer', I want these companies to release 'generational exclusive games' that maximise the power of the high-end machines they're releasing. I want them to waste money for my sake.

It is true that any launch exclusive or launch window exclusive - typically can probably run in last-gen hardware with sufficient scalability, so they most likely started dev while dev kit and dev environment were still early and not mature. But that's not the point.

The point is that as consumers, I want companies, all companies to invest money into services/software/etc that are compelling factors to buy into their ecosystem. And exclusives are a big part of that.

This post sum's up point of view. It ain't about console war's. I get there perspective, but that doesn't make any more excited about the prospect of this.