• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PorscheDesign

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
User banned (1 week): system wars, trolling + recent ban for same behaviour and account in junior phase
What's going to be funny is the reaction, when eurogamer starts doing its analysis for next gen games and all third party games will still perform best on scarlett.

"But muhhhhh lowest common denominator said thats not possibl!!!!!111"

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft has already made clear their intentions.
They don't see the hardware as the platform anymore and their focus is not selling specific hardware but games and services. Scalett of whatever is going to be called is not their next gen platform in a traditional sense, it will just be an option to play their games (just like a PC, Xbox One S, Xbox One X and XCloud).
While many fans have pretended to not see the negative consequences of this approach they will be obvious soon enough.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So wait... How will this even work? Will they push resolution targets for XBO and XBX lower as in 480p for XBO, 1080p for XBX and 4K for Scarlet? I doubt that anyone would be interested in buying Scarlet to play an XBO game in 8K.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Look, this is not good

The S was a dated machine back when it launched

In 2020-21? a literal relic

sorry but i'm not buying an HDTV to watch vhs tapes

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's going to be funny is the reaction, when eurogamer starts doing its analysis for next gen games and all third party games will still perform best on scarlett.

Ahh, resorting to console warring now. Shocking.

PorscheDesign

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Yup. An Xbox One-limited game with 30 coats of effects being slapped on it is still, at heart, a last gen game.

what essentially is a next gen game then? Hardware doesn't determine the mechanics, you can add any type of mechanic to any platform. What constitutes a next gen game is is graphics, FPS, ray tracing, effects, and visuals.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

They'll certainly have the highest resolution. Everyone will be able to see that when we blow up a postage stamp sized snippet of the screen and count the pixels.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
3rd parties are the ones that have the most incentive to make cross gen games. They aren't trying to sell hardware. They will keep putting their games on as many platforms as possible. Microsoft is only making that easier for them.

If Sony holds its games hostage on one platform in order to force you to upgrade hardware, I don't think they should be applauded for it.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
A last gen game with bells and whistles still a last gen game.
So? Most games are last gen games, and sometimes even before that, with more bells and whistles. And this is not like last gen where developers were hurting for memory years and years before the generation came to an end. We are talking about consoles already capable of delivering big detailed and densely populated open worlds.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's bullshit but I believe it.

Ideally I only want this for like Halo and Forza.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has already made clear their intentions.
They don't see the hardware as the platform anymore and their focus is not selling specific hardware but games and services. Scalett of whatever is going to be called is not their next gen platform in a traditional sense, it will just be an option to play their games (just like a PC, Xbox One S, Xbox One X and XCloud).
While many fans have pretended to not see the negative consequences of this approach they will be obvious soon enough.

On the bright side we might get gamepass on Switch.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If that is true, what is the reason for owning ANY next gen console, Scarlet or PS5? Sony will release a couple of exclusive games per year. Is it worth the $500 or $600 for a couple of games when the vast majority will be playable on your PS4 as well?

For me it is along with what next gen going to bring .
Having faster loading times on fighting games would be a god send.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
They might just not have any games ready. They've just barely started to shape up their first party after letting it idle for so many years. They must have known that none of their next-gen games would not be popping out of the oven by the time they have to release this.Their strategy for the future is not based around this launch.
Yeah, this might be the case. They just aren't ready.

Now my question is...price cut on One X?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

What´s going to be funny is when Sony drops their first Open World game based on PS5 hardware and MS drops their based on Xbox One S hardware, if this happens.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol.
It really is for first party games.
I suppose that is true, but you have to look at Microsoft's strategy. It's wildly different from their competitor's. This makes sense when you look at it through this lens.

And as someone else posted, the exclusives released early this gen (Killzone, Knack, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, etc.) did not really do anything new that could not have been done on the prior consoles Maybe Ryse due to the graphics, but the rest could easily have been done on last gen consoles.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
In terms of giving people an incentive to buy a new console, it's a terrible decision.

But it's been a common trend for the past few generations to have games like this (Titanfall 1 , Forza Horizon 2, The first CoDs of this generation, Destiny 1 , etc)

The only thing that's new is that now they are supporting three sets of hardware instead of the usual two : The Xb1/Xb1s , the XB1X , and the Scarlett.

The interesting thing is to see the graphical and performance difference between the XB1X and Scarlett. Is it enough to warrant the people that spent $500 NOT EVEN TWO YEARS AGO to upgrade ? Or will MS be fine with them not upgrading since it's now all about those subscriptions (Gold and Gamepass and potentially cloud gaming)

Personally I'm in a unique situation. I got my 360 late in its generation so my XB1X has been mainly used for all the 360 games I missed via BC and 4k blu-rays. I only play current gens on it if I can't find a good sale of the PC version.

The way MS is gonna get me to upgrade is if they wall off future BC upgrades to the new console

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the worst move for next-gen. Microsoft needs to sell as many next-gen Xbox as possible, as quickly as possible. If there is only cross-gen games for years, people who have a Xbox One won't uprade (or will choose a PlayStation 5, which will have exclusives since launch), so the next Xbox will have a bad reputation and won't be able to change it.

I can absolutely understand the interest to give players ONE cross-gen game at launch (Halo: Infinite). But for years? This is pure nonsense.

I understand that this may not be as important to others, but it does affect my purchasing decision next-gen. A few years seems a bit long. Going to wait and see in either case, still early.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
could care less about "console warring", I just think the arguments here are extremely silly with no logic.

No one here is arguing that Anaconda will be stronger or weaker than PS5. The argument is next gen first party MS games should not be held back by Xbox One hardware.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
st3aaNR.jpg
A correct approach.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Hate to ruin your "Gotcha!" moment but the company repped in your avatar is most likely doing the same thing. You just don't let a user base of 100 plus million consoles die overnight
They have already said in their investors report that they want a fast transition to PS5. You don't achieve that with crossgen first party games.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So? Most games are last gen games, and sometimes even before that, with more bells and whistles. And this is not like last gen where developers were hurting for memory years and years before the generation came to an end. We are talking about consoles already capable of delivering big detailed and densely populated open worlds.

Developers are not hurting for memory years and years this time.
They are hurting for CPU. Since this gen began.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Hate to ruin your "Gotcha!" moment but the company repped in your avatar is most likely doing the same thing. You just don't let a user base of 100 plus million consoles die overnight

That company had made it clear they want to move people over to next gen as fast as possible.
One of the easy ways to do that is have software that only for that system .
I expect Sony will have some cross gen games but they will have exclusives from very early on.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

PS5 will play PS4 games but PS5 will also have exclusive games. So I don't think you ruined his 'gotcha!' moment.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Isnt this going to really hamstring some games. I love my xbox one x but I dont want the next generation of xbox games held back by it, let's not even talk about the basic ass OG xbox one.

Unless this rumor is just a bastardization of the idea that you can stream all xbox games I'm super disappointed.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
how exactly is it being held back in game design? You can develop the highest resolutions, visuals on PC right now and then scale it down for lower end specs.

How many PC games today have a mid-range laptop CPU from the early 2010's listed in the minimum reqs? Look at the difference between TLOU Remastered and Uncharted 4 and tell me having a higher min spec doesnt produce any results.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

How could they let the PlayStation 4 die overnight? there's a ton of active and satisfied users. They now have a stack of evergreen games on the shelf for $30 a piece. And if this news is true, it seems that most of the games coming out will not be exceeding that bar by much.

They can support both PS4 and PS5 concurrently. They've done it before. They have let their portables fall through, though. So there's always a chance for a big stumble. But I think it's clear that they would continue supporting the PS4 well after the PS5 launches. Those PS4 users will still use their machine and be happy, but one day they will want to play the sequels to the God of war, Horizon, Spider-Man, etc they are playing now.

PorscheDesign

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
How many games today have a mid-range laptop CPU from the early 2010's in the min spec listing? Look at the difference between TLOU Remastered and Uncharted 4 and tell me having a higher min spec doesnt provide any results.

so you're thinking from a 9 year difference of hardware that is completely irrelevant. Obviously older gen hardware gets naturally phased out when its no longer viable to support min specs. This happens over time.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This would be alright if it didn't include base XB1 specs. Making it just an option to include say XB1X. Base XB1 is so restrictive even now that I wonder why anyone would want to be restricted by it going into new hardware.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
Why are people just ignoring the fact that modern engines are scalable. The Scarlett version can have 4K textures and run at 4K/60 FPS while the One version can have scaled resolution and 30 FPS and lower resolution assets. OR I'm guessing they'll only be available on the One/S through game streaming.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
gameplay meaning in game mechanics? That variable is not Dependant on performance, you can build games today with any sort of mechanics not tied to specs.

Having a higher minimum spec allows developers to try new game mechanics, level design and other things that weren't possible or feasible before. I don't see how anyone can deny this if you just look at history.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like my generations how they've always been (+BC).
Having a brand new console being shackled by 2013 hardware for years is the best way for me not to even consider it.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
But it's been a common trend for the past few generations to have games like this (Titanfall 1 , Forza Horizon 2, The first CoDs of this generation, Destiny 1 , etc)

The only thing that's new is that now they are supporting three sets of hardware instead of the usual two : The Xb1/Xb1s , the XB1X , and the Scarlett.
How are so many of you claiming this? It's nonsense. Have you completely forgotten about Ryse, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 etc? This isn't a common trend at all. The common trend has been allowing devs to go cross-gen if they want for potentially bigger sales figures, but also ensuring there are next-gen exclusives to give people a reason to buy a new console and showcase what a new generation of consoles can do for video games as a whole. New features and gameplay mechanics that aren't possible on the current gen.

Not once has a console launched without exclusives.

"Here's a brand new $400-$500 console! It doesn't have any new games! Your current console can play them already!"