• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
www.bleepingcomputer.com

Windows 10's Game Mode reportedly causing freezes, FPS issues

Gamers have been reporting that the Windows 10 Game Mode feature which should help them get more stable frame rates is instead causing stutters, freezes, and FPS issues while being enabled.

www.windowscentral.com

Is Windows 10 Game Mode hurting your games more than it's helping?

Is Game Mode causing issues with your PC? Turning it off may help.

www.pcgamer.com

Try turning off Windows 10's Game Mode if your games are stuttering or freezing

A growing number of users say Game Mode is causing performance issues in games.

turning it off fixed COD warzone framerate issues for me. I have a 9700k and 2070 super

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
W10 game mode or gamebar being disabled has always been the way to go for increased framerates. This was in the early days and it's funny to see it's still a thing on PC.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't game mode just prioritize apps which you can mitigate by not opening extra apps while gaming anyway ?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I turned this shit off the moment it existed. I feel like youre always better off ignoring automatic software features like this, including junk like the Nvidia game optimizations.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck these articles:
According to the current user reports

"If someone says it's raining, and another person says it's dry, it's not your job to quote them both. Your job is to look out the fucking window and find out which is true." -Sally Claire

We have clickbaiters and rebloggers on the gaming/tech websites, no journalists.

It is beyond pointless to even discuss without someone doing an actual research into the problem, instead of taking reddit posts as facts...

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
From I understand game mode these days is nothing more than something that stops driver updates and notifications.

Edit:

Microsoft Dev on Reddit said:
In the latest versions of Windows (1809 & 1903) Game Mode no longer does GPU/CPU prioritization. This prioritization was intended to give more resources to the running game at the cost of background processes, but we found it impacted some games and other scenarios. As an example streaming was impacted in apps like OBS because we were starving them of resources needed to encode.

In these later builds Game Mode is intended to help by removing distractions while playing. In particular it tries to stop Windows Update from updating drivers and stops it from notifying you of non-critical updates. It also causes the CPU to run at a minimum of 100% (on desktop, not laptops) to help reduce CPU fluctuations which may cause performance issues.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, gave my bro the 1070 loaded PC I had, and he's been having issues with FPS and frame-rate. Wonder if this is the reason.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not the same (probably) but game mode always reminded me of those old "ram optimizer" programs that did nothing but cause problems.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I've never once turned on Game Mode.

I actually like t gamebar thingy, though.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I disabled my Windows Updates because of this.. I'm on a really old version and everything works perfect.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Only issue i've had thus far is it not working with its keyboard shortcut when playing Gears Tactics.
Still Alt+Tab to the Xbox Companion app to look at achievements lol.
Did you somehow accidentally make some custom shortcuts?
You can check by pressing start and just typing "game bar shortcuts"

dmgdbug

Oct 27, 2017
windows in general is running like shit for me. can't download anything in xbox app and all my attempts at troubleshooting are ending in frozen apps/control panel

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
My PC froze twice the other day I wonder if this was anything to do with it. Although I wasn't playing a game at the time so probably not.