• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Man it's better than windows 8 in a lot of ways but windows 10 still kinda sucks considering it's the most popular OS in the world. I am working from home ATM so I have a lot on my mind and the windows 10 mail app was fucking up. I then remembered that for some reason to update it you don't use windows update but instead the Microsoft Store app. Why on earth is it like this over in a separate section? Linux package managers have had the right idea about this for almost plural decades at this point.

That's not to mention all the other weird shit that happens with it that's almost impossible to figure out. It must be because microsoft only hire people for 18 month contracts now that everything has gone to shit.

Feb 1, 2018
What I love the most about it is that it has an identiy crisis. There's two control panels, two input interfaces, etc. It tries to be an everything OS for everyone ($2000 surface tablets, $300 craptops, gamers, cocky corporate IT departments, misguided creatives that switched from mac to save money) and it just doesn't do any of it well at all.

Oh yeah, and the fucking audacity to put ads in the file explorer and desecrate the start menu with candy crush and minecraft shortcuts. It's unacceptable that you have to spend a good 30mins-1hour downloading 3rd party tweaks and workarounds to solve the design issues that it has. When I turn on a fresh mac I get to actual work within minutes. There's no bullshit (aside from the iOS app ports)

Give me a *nix based OS anyday, they respect me as a user

Xbox and Office are pretty excellent though.

Last edited:

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The disconnect between a tablet and classic desktop systems is really jarring. Really wish I could toss any of this tablet shit away, makes doing anything take more steps than it should. The tablet shit never had the settings you actually need either.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
What I love the most about it is that it has an identiy crisis. There's two control panels, two input interfaces, etc. It tries to be an everything OS for everyone ($2000 surface devices, $300 craptops, cocky corporate IT departments, misguided creatives that switched from mac to save money) and it just doesn't do any of it well at all
I always forget how to get to certain "legacy" menus like the Network Connections screen or Sound Control Panel because the defaults open up the Windows 10 menu screens which seem to lack certain functionality from the legacy menus.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I still can't get over how it has Control Panel and Settings, and no way to tell which bit is supposed to do what.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Takes a week or two to get a feel for it then it's fine. UWP apps like mail are updated through the store but Microsoft will be changing that.

What I love the most about it is that it has an identiy crisis. There's two control panels, two input interfaces, etc. It tries to be an everything OS for everyone ($2000 surface devices, $300 craptops, cocky corporate IT departments, misguided creatives that switched from mac to save money) and it just doesn't do any of it well at all

Give me a *nix based OS anyday

The surface level is dumbed down for casual users to make it less intimidating but all the legacy menus/options are there for power users. Could it be integrated better, sure but I think pushing power users into using the search bar is what throws people off. Once you adapt it's fine.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Windows with its two interfaces and dual personalities is shit. You have Control Panel and Settings, some options available in one interface, some in the other, some in both. It's garbage. I'm worried about how bad the next Microsoft OS will be. This one is incoherent.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
After trying switching to MacOS for the first time a few weeks ago, I really don't like going back to Windows anymore

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fucking weird that windows 10 has like 3 different UIs rolled into for parts of configuring the OS, that all sorta-kinda have the same features. Like, take networking, my mobo has dual ethernet ports, and i actually use them for complex routing with the PC as sort of the hub for the entire house. I actually have a need to mess with the network settings quite a bit.

In the process of finding the specific network setting I need to change, I'll often switch between the windows 10 UI, the windows 8 UI, and the windows 7 UI depending on screen. There's no one central place that has every option I need.

Now, I can roll with that, I've been using linux for decades. But isn't cohesion supposed to be one of the big points of an OS like windows?

What I love the most about it is that it has an identiy crisis. There's two control panels, two input interfaces, etc. It tries to be an everything OS for everyone ($2000 surface tablets, $300 craptops, gamers, cocky corporate IT departments, misguided creatives that switched from mac to save money) and it just doesn't do any of it well at all.

Three actually! I completely agree.

Ironically, the Windows Surface line is incredible, probably my favorite Microsoft product. But mainly because I can use it as an x86 tablet, i.e. without the tablet UI.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For all the benefits of macos, it most definitely does not respect the user to the extent it should.
"Enjoy our fucked up mouse acceleration whether you want it or not."

I would say *nix respects you more as a hacker. It lays everything bare. You really can change anything in linux. But you have to know how to do it.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
It is good if you disable Windows Updates and tracking services completely, do not rely on windows store and Xbox and replace start menu with a third party.

Oct 27, 2017

Oh yeah, and the fucking audacity to put ads in the file explorer and desecrate the start menu with candy crush and minecraft shortcuts. It's unacceptable that you have to spend a good 30mins-1hour downloading 3rd party tweaks and workarounds to solve the design issues that it has. When I turn on a fresh mac I get to actual work within minutes. There's no bullshit (aside from the iOS app ports)

Give me a *nix based OS anyday, they respect me as a user

I totally get the dual-settings issues (I am in IT)...but the file explorer and start menu complaints aren't really that big a deal. Who even uses the Start menu? Biggest advantage of Windows is you just press the Windows key and like three letters and you can open anything you want.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I like Windows 10. But I pretty much only use it for gaming and light internet browsing anyway.

Windows 7 was better, but it's still far from being as bad as Windows 8.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
There is not a greater enterprise OS solution than Windows.

The SCCM is pretty fucking amazing and there is nothing like it that exists.

Yeah, buy your artist a Mac in your twelve person company.

Large corporate solutions require tools built over decades and refined for power.

We're able to tailor the OS experience for the end user, office has seamless integration into AD, mass software deployment, etc, etc.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
There's way too much legacy code/systems inside Win10, and if MS tried to remove them, people will start complaining.
I think this is the biggest issue with Windows 10. I do think there's a market for stuff like Windows RT and Windows 10 S Mode, but too many tech-savvy people push what they prefer on people who simply don't need that sort of flexibility. I kind of wish the blowback to Windows 8 hadn't been so severe, and I wish the criticism was more constructive, rather than people demanding that Microsoft just changing everything back while adding a bunch of visual fluff back in with Windows 10. Microsoft should've just stuck with Windows 7 (or should just stick with Windows 10) and continued doing security updates, re-branding it as Windows Desktop or Windows Classic while pushing a trimmed-down experience as a separate SKU that made some compromises with regard to legacy support while not forcing drastic changes to how software was installed.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Man it's better than windows 8 in a lot of ways but windows 10 still kinda sucks considering it's the most popular OS in the world. I am working from home ATM so I have a lot on my mind and the windows 10 mail app was fucking up. I then remembered that for some reason to update it you don't use windows update but instead the Microsoft Store app. Why on earth is it like this over in a separate section? Linux package managers have had the right idea about this for almost plural decades at this point.

That's not to mention all the other weird shit that happens with it that's almost impossible to figure out. It must be because microsoft only hire people for 18 month contracts now that everything has gone to shit.

This isn't true, type "updates" into the search bar, and select "Check for updates", that is where you update.

I like it way better than Windows 7 or Windows 8, but there are definitely some quirks. My best tip is:
- Right click the start menu for a new quick access menu (it has Task Manager, Settings, Device Manager, Disk Management, system, event view etc.)

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
windows 10 is fantastic

fucking fight me

but it does seem constantly in conflict with its marketing department. Turn literally everything off, start right clicking and disabling everything, and you have a god damn sleek operating system.

I like the new icon-based start menu. I like the search thing. Cortana sucks and is a stupid name. My Documents pinned to the taskbar? I don't fucking think so.

I cannot imagine the infighting that lead to the default configuration of the OS. There's some good, borderline great, stuff muddled by what feels like feature-touting and other masturbation.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
There is not a greater enterprise OS solution than Windows.

The SCCM is pretty fucking amazing and there is nothing like it that exists.

Yeah, buy your artist a Mac in your twelve person company.

Large corporate solutions require tools built over decades and refined for power.

We're able to tailor the OS experience for the end user, office has seamless integration into AD, mass software deployment, etc, etc.
You're not wrong, but you are ignoring the fact that the pool of people who care about UX design is much, much deeper than artists and startups these days. And from that perspective, Windows has been a mess for years.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Related to Win10, can someone explain why windows search is so different than it is in Win 7?

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that I've been using my laptop as an actual laptop more as I'm working from home, I find it so weird that even the "modern" features are so bad. Like why can I only adjust the brighness through the notification panel in 25% steps?
I totally get the dual-settings issues (I am in IT)...but the file explorer and start menu complaints aren't really that big a deal. Who even uses the Start menu? Biggest advantage of Windows is you just press the Windows key and like three letters and you can open anything you want.
Except when you can't. Like you can't get to the legacy mouse properties menu without going through the modern settings page. Or at least I can't figure out how.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I think the fact that it is the biggest OS in the world is part of the problem. It has been building on it's systems for years and years and moving stuff around must be an enormous mess. Specially when it's used by most enterprise corporations, which means little changes have big consequences.
It also has such a gigantic audience that it makes any change you want to make take forever because people will be confused.

I kind of wish they would uniform the UI at least, the settings panels is the biggest offender like you guys said.

@edit
www.resetera.com

Windows Central reporting that Microsoft is considering replacing parts of Windows 10's Legacy Control Panel with new Settings app

Microsoft news site Windows Central is reporting that Microsoft is considering replacing the Windows 10 legacy control panel with a new Settings app: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-may-hide-control-panel-future-versions-windows-10

This is a beauty to read on the context of this thread. There really is no pleasing everyone, at least not the way they have been approaching it.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I dont get this. I ripped on Win8, but it deserved it. It was garbage.

But I've been on Win10 for 5 months now on my new rig. The biggest problem was the initial work you have to do to turn off so much tracking, and disable all the bullshit.

But once you do it. Its done.

The OS is fairly invisible for me; and the new stuff coming from 7 is very welcome. That being said, no way am I using its mail app. There's NO reason for me to do that, lol. I don't mess with the store, or many of the apps outside of a core few. I replace everything with much better functioning alternatives like I always have with Windows.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the settings/control panel thing is weird, but other than that I've been using Windows 10 daily since it was released and it's on all my machines at home and it's what I use at work/on my work laptop and i have no problems with it.

I don't get the hate, yes I'm not a power user, I just browse the web, and develop JS/CSS/HTML on it and have no problems.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Feb 1, 2018
As someone who works in animation maya on Mac is garbage. A proper 3d pipeline works way better on windows than a Mac. Gpu rendering on a Mac? Not a chance.

That's cool, we deliver big commercials on macs

VFX, 3D, etc was always a PC thing, it's too easy when all you need is a large box of nvidia GPUs for the cheapest price. They always render on those and send us the finished comps for us to integrate into the timeline which is usually on Avid running on a...you guessed it

Because the clients always want a prores deliverable

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I then remembered that for some reason to update it you don't use windows update but instead the Microsoft Store app.
Store apps are not supposed to require manual updating at all. They should be updating themselves and you shouldn't have to think about it.
That's one of the reasons I prefer to get the store version of an application wherever possible: they're containerized and update automatically from a trusted source, rather than the often-insecure updaters most apps include themselves - if they have one at all.

I think this is the biggest issue with Windows 10. I do think there's a market for stuff like Windows RT and Windows 10 S Mode, but too many tech-savvy people push what they prefer on people who simply don't need that sort of flexibility. I kind of wish the blowback to Windows 8 hadn't been so severe, and I wish the criticism was more constructive, rather than people demanding that Microsoft just changing everything back while adding a bunch of visual fluff back in with Windows 10. Microsoft should've just stuck with Windows 7 (or should just stick with Windows 10) and continued doing security updates, re-branding it as Windows Desktop or Windows Classic while pushing a trimmed-down experience as a separate SKU that made some compromises with regard to legacy support while not forcing drastic changes to how software was installed.
They're getting there with the Win32 container in Windows 10X.
What I'd really like is some way to install Win32 apps to individual containers on regular Windows 10, but in typical Microsoft fashion it's probably going to be left up to developers to package their applications with MSIX - which few of them will ever do if they aren't forced into it.
It's frustrating that there was so much pushback against UWP when containerization like that is the way forward.

I think there might be a way to create your own UWP package with the Desktop App Converter/MSIX packaging tool, but it wasn't clear to me whether that's something I could use as an end-user. I've been meaning to look into this for a while now.

For all the benefits of macos, it most definitely does not respect the user to the extent it should.
"Enjoy our fucked up mouse acceleration whether you want it or not."
Can macOS even handle mice that poll faster than 125Hz yet?
The last time I tried it, gaming mice with high polling rates still didn't work correctly (dropped inputs/stuttering) and had to be set to 125Hz. And high-DPI mice were moving the cursor much faster than they should even with acceleration disabled.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Let me tell you about my journey to make my microphone louder the other day.

Goal: Adjust the sensitivity of my microphone in Windows 10.

I type 'Microphone' into the start menu and select the first option: "Microphone Setup".

A Settings window opens up with "Speech" as the title, and I am already confused and angry. I am in the settings page for Cortana's speech recognition.

In this irrelevant settings window I look in 'related settings' in the sidebar and see nothing except for "Speech Privacy Settings".

I opt to use the search bar in the Settings window and type in 'microphone'. In the results there is only the two pages I have already seen: Cortana setup (once again mislabeled as 'microphone setup'), and Speech Privacy Settings.

I try a different tack and type in 'Sound' as the keyword, and find the 'Sound' page.

Hey look, there's my microphone listed under inputs! I select 'Device Properties" and I'm greeted with a volume slider which seems really weird, but could that be the sensitivity setting? Testing reveals that it in fact does nothing, and so I give up on that path.

I back out of device properties and click the 'Manage Sound Devices' link that's also next to my microphone input. I see a list of sound inputs and outputs, and select my microphone from the list, but the only setting available for my microphone is to disable it. This isn't working and so i back out again.

About to give up, i notice a link on the sidebar of the settings to a help page for "setting up a microphone". I click it and am taken to this page.

The first step in the instructions on this page is to "right click the volume icon on the taskbar and select Sounds". No such option exists when right click my volume icon, and so I've hit another dead end.

I am defeated. I Google around and find that I in fact need to go into the control panel to adjust this setting. Success at last.

There is some really basic functionality that is relegated to the Control Panel, but it's like Microsoft wants to pretend it doesn't exist. Unlike with Settings, the control panel settings submenus are not searchable in the start menu. Additionally, the settings app never ever acknowledges the existence of the control panel as far as I can see.

Having two completely separate settings menus is a UX train-wreck on it's own, but then making it so that they never link off to each other is just baffling.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
What I'd really like is some way to install Win32 apps to individual containers on regular Windows 10, but in typical Microsoft fashion it's probably going to be left up to developers to package their applications with MSIX - which few of them will ever do if they aren't forced into it.
It's frustrating that there was so much pushback against UWP when containerization like that is the way forward.
As long as that makes its way into Windows 10 (or whatever the next version of desktop Windows is), that's great. Assuming it doesn't break anything, forcing Win32 apps into containers is something I'm totally fine with. We use some pretty terrible software at work, and having something like that siloed off from everything else would be nice.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Windows 10 is okay to use, even though it's an incoherent mess. Microsoft honestly needs to build all of the legacy features into the W10 UI and I'm hoping that the video Panos Panay showed off recently is a good step towards it. Maybe Windows 10X and the Win32 container will solve a few of these issues in addition to the UI refresh?

Even after a fresh install of windows, I have to spend about some time tweaking and debloating it so it truly is a clean installation.

Give me macOS any day over windows (except for gaming), as my time is respected, no bloatware and everything looks unified.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I held out on Windows 7 until the last minute because I was expecting the upgrade to 10 to be horrible based on what I'd heard. I play a lot of older games so I was also expecting a lot of compatibility issues.

Boy was I wrong. I am still in disbelief about how easy of a time I'm having. I had no trouble disabling the telemetry and getting things to look how I wanted them to look. Strangely enough, I've had less compatibility problems with old games than I did on Windows 7, and some longstanding issues I've had relating to my relatively obscure hardware setup were actually resolved in the transition. The whole two control panels thing is obviously cumbersome, but only marginally moreso than Windows 7's tendency of layering Windows XP control panel artifacts (which were, themselves, usually just gussied up versions of their 95/98 installments) deep within menus.

Oct 25, 2017

I think there might be a way to create your own UWP package with the Desktop App Converter/MSIX packaging tool, but it wasn't clear to me whether that's something I could use as an end-user. I've been meaning to look into this for a while now.
Most UWP pushback came in the context of gaming. Video games have been very modifiable for the past two decades and many people don't want that to change - the biggest PC games currently out there came out of mods. Being able to screw around with files to fix incompatibility issues is also important for backwards compatibility.

This is one of the biggest issues with Game Pass currently because Microsoft Store forces apps into folders you're not allowed to touch. This makes MS Store versions of games more restricted than those bought elsewhere, and it kills all the value of Game Pass.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
For programs, sure. For documents? It's worthless. For example, here I compare Windows Search to a third party app, Everything, to look for a simple .JPG file -

bb9d6b1b207ec8130d5ef7be1d87e275.gif

69057c57fc905f6527fe55962ef5ca60.gif

This file was even placed in a folder on the C:\ drive, but Windows Search couldn't see it. I could've placed it inside any number of folders on any drive and Everything would've found it just as quickly. Apparently you have to keep indexing with Windows Search in order for it to find files in new locations - with Everything you tell it what drives to search on first run, it indexes everything in a quick scan, and from that point on you're good to go. It will instantly index any new folders instantly when it next runs, quietly in the background without you noticing it doing anything at all.

I know some people swear by Windows Search, but for me it's been pointless with every single iteration of Windows so far and I doubt I'll ever move away from using the tiny but awesome program that is Everything. I'd never use any search program to search for a program anyway unless I'd really lost it as everything is listed in ClassicShell's start menu or are in a small number of folders.

Meh to Windows Search. The only time I ever use it is to launch Edge (which for some reason isn't listed on the Start menu) when I need to use a different browser.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For programs, sure. For documents? It's worthless. For example, here I compare Windows Search to a third party app, Everything, to look for a simple .JPG file -

This file was even placed in a folder on the C:\ drive, but Windows Search couldn't see it. I could've placed it inside any number of folders on any drive and Everything would've found it just as quickly. Apparently you have to keep indexing with Windows Search in order for it to find files in new locations - with Everything you tell it what drives to search on first run, it indexes everything in a quick scan, and from that point on you're good to go. It will instantly index any new folders instantly when it next runs, quietly in the background without you noticing it doing anything at all.

I know some people swear by Windows Search, but for me it's been pointless with every single iteration of Windows so far and I doubt I'll ever move away from using the tiny but awesome program that is Everything. I'd never use any search program to search for a program anyway unless I'd really lost it as everything is listed in ClassicShell's start menu or are in a small number of folders.

Meh to Windows Search. The only time I ever use it is to launch Edge (which for some reason isn't listed on the Start menu) when I need to use a different browser.

Nothing new that indexing on Windows has problems.

Windows 10 is totally fine and great for IT environments.

zeroOman

Oct 27, 2017

100% true after using everything i stopped using windows search as it's slow and keep freezing the damn windows...