• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MY POLL IS ERROR

• I prefer the visuals of The Wind Waker

Votes: 969 77.3%
  • I prefer the visuals of Twilight Princess

Votes: 143 11.4%
  • I enjoy both games’ visuals about equally

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • I do not enjoy either game’s visuals

Votes: 9 0.7%

• Total voters

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Twilight Princess' 'aesthetic' is looking like dog shit. Blemish on the series in that respect.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer TP. I like the gritty fantasy vibe that often borders the ethereal and grotesque, and at the time it seemed like a more modern version of my first Zelda (MM).

As for Wind Waker, it's very cute, but it doesn't quite evoke the same emotions.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Wind Waker has infinitely superior graphics. Wind Waker Link is so much more charismatic than damn near every Link as well.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer TP. I like the gritty fantasy vibe that often borders the ethereal and grotesque, and at the time it seemed like a more modern version of my first Zelda (MM).

As for Wind Waker, it's very cute, but it doesn't quite evoke the same emotions.

Except that Oot was my first Zelda I like your opinion and could't agree more with the bolded.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
A vote for Twilight Princess is a vote for THIS

TPHD_Ooccoo_and_Ooccoo_Jr._Artwork.png

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Have to go with Wind Waker and it didn't require much thought. I love both games, but just looking at the visuals I've got to give it to Wind Waker as my personal favourite. Because of its simplicity the art style has held up really well to this day imo (not the resolution on GCN, though). It's simple, crisp, charming, unique, and Link's never been so expressive and had such personality. Not much of a compliment mind, Link's not exactly the most personality-fueled character around, but it's still a compliment.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If Twilight Princess actually looked like its art, it would've been Twilight Princess.
Krk2cd

The concept art had such dark shadows and sharp edges, clearly aiming for a more angular, adult style from Wind Waker's aesthetic.

In motion, however...
tumblr_mb9fg8WW4a1ryfenzo1_500.gif

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You gotta love how the "childish' game had probably the closest thing we've ever gotten to a nuanced version of Ganondorf.

And then in the "mature" game he's back to being a generic evil overlord.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is one of those threads where the questions is baffling because of how obvious the answer is going to be.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Wind Waker by a mile. I remember playing Twilight Princess back on the Wii and thinking the art style was not very good after loving Wind Waker's style.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
don't care about dumb ass chibis, TP all the way. Love all the detail in the environment/dungeons of TP.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess' visuals were nasty even at the time; muddy mess, and have you seen some of those character designs?

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Twilight Princess is ugly as hell.

Wind Waker is damn near my favorite game of all time, 50% because of aesthetics.

I think my answer is clear.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Twilight Princess was always an ugly game. The comparison should have been with Skyward Sword or Breath of the Wild and Wind Waker would still win.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Both are meh, but for different reasons.

Wind Waker's style, while beautiful in its own right, is definitely not what I want from the Zelda series in terms of aesthetics, tone and atmosphere.​

As for Twilight Princess, despite being a huge fan of the grittier high-fantasy aesthetic, TP is, for the most part, an ugly-looking game with bland​
environments, lots of horrible texture work and an inconsistent art-style. I still remember how disappointed I was by it, especially after witnessing the beauty of Shadow of the Colossus.​

Despite the archaic graphics, Ocarina of Time is still the king of 3D Zelda aesthetics in my book.​

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Wind Waker looks way better, and I remember defending that game against my fellow fans at the time. Mainly other kids who didn't like that Zelda had turned into a baby game.

But even I was ALL IN when I downloaded that reveal trailer from Gamespot lol.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the more realistic proportions of the people in TP but there is no doubt in my mind that WW is the much better looking game. Honestly the sort of combination of the two with BotW is my ideal look for Zelda.

Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker is vastly superior in every aspect.
Nintendo hardware post-GameCube has always been too underpowered to really do the realistic style they were going for with Twilight Princess justice.
This was the most classic case of the fans not knowing what they want.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
The Wind Waker both has better visuals and is the better game by a factor of about five million, and even that might be understating things. That was true when they originally came out, and it's true today.

Opinions and all that, but I'm kinda looking sideways at anyone who earnestly, genuinely believes Twilight Princess looks better visually than The Wind Waker, especially in 2019. Those people are clearly the extreme minority based on the poll results, though.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
yxgjNn4q_o.gif

Everything about the look of this game's characters and environments says "This is a land of spirits, haunted both figuratively and literally by its history. This is a place governed by the dead." It's one of the primary reasons I prefer it to WW. It is even, maybe, the only example of a game where a normally excessive amount of bloom is called for. It dramatically increases the dreamlike, otherworldly feel of the game.

nHYNGaSU_o.gif

Speaking of the dead, Rutela... :(

The whole game exists in this kinda morose fog, where everyone and everything just looks rundown and lost, and I love it.

That said, the GameCube was clearly not enough to do the style justice, so WW shows its age way, way less. WW looks so good with a simple increase in resolution that I always thought the graphical changes the remaster made were stupid. That's a game where bloom doesn't belong.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought Twilight Princess gets a bad rap. I really love it on the whole, right up there with Ocarina for most memorable experience of first playing it, and definitely the last time I can recall giving a shit about the story in a Zelda title. But yeah, even though I really like its visual style, it'd be hard to argue that Wind Waker didn't execute on an aesthetic vision much more successfully. That game has a unique visual signature that people still talk about to this day (this thread being a case in point).

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Nothing in TP is as grotesque as the ReDead in Windwaker. The contrast to everthing else makes them even more striking.

Also nothing in TP is like in MM. Like, really nothing.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Loved Wind Waker but Twilight Princess is better in just about every aspect including graphics.

Sure there's some weird NPC models here and there but, to say Wind Waker didn't is a lie.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Wind Waker is my favorite looking game ever (also favorite game in general).

Twilight Princess looks alright, but it's absolutely showing it's age.

IBetUHav

Oct 27, 2017
If Twilight Princess had a setting like Breath of the Wild but with even less NPCs, I would like it more. It excels in having detailed interior environments that are pretty to look at. However, NPCs in Twilight Princess - except for Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Ilia, and Midna - are the ugliest in the series because they took the 'wacky' NPC designs of Ocarina and Majora and simply tacked them onto a more detailed world, which doesn't work.

The Zelda series works well with a variety of art styles, realistic included. The current times fit the old promotional artwork to a T:
images
DVl5LgZVMAAUh6m.jpg

Now let's have games that draw on other aesthetics, such as other promotional artwork for the older games:
NEjDf.jpg

Goriya_(A_Link_to_the_Past).png

Breath of the Wild's sequel looks like it's nearing closer to those mysterious, interior vibes:
breath-of-the-wild-sequel_feature.jpg

But of course, they could step away from a cel-shaded aesthetic completely and aim for a gritter look without compromising the series's tone.

Love those promo artwork comparisons, very cool. Gets me hyped for BotW 2

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I like both but prefer Twilight Princess Zelda purely because Zelda and Midna in the game are top-tier designs. Link isn't so bad either incorporating chainmail into his tunic.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing in TP is as grotesque as the ReDead in Windwaker. The contrast to everthing else makes them even more striking.

Also nothing in TP is like in MM. Like, really nothing.

Grotesque as in comically exaggerated ugliness that's somewhat unsettling, like you would see in gargoyle statues, not as in "ugly". The poster above who showed a picture of Malo is an example. But let's take the Postman, since he's present in all three games.

MM Postman
TP Postman
WW Postman

You can say, for example, that the overly large head, the lips, the jutted chin, and the super long torso are all present, but because Wind Waker chose the cartoonish aesthetic overall, he gives a rather unremarkable vibe in a setting where everything is joyously cartoonishly proportioned. I bet you didn't even remember he was in the game.

Also, I think you're reaching a bit with the WW Redeads, since I was far from being impressed by them, but to your credit they are better than the TP ones.

Last edited: