• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever happens on Sunday, I just hope it's a great match. Hoping it's not a 3 setter in either direction.

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
The amount of Djoker support in this thread is making me wish I had never made it.

Oct 25, 2017
Serena just needs mental preparation. Her form's been great this tournament. If she's mentally there from minute 1, it'll be a rout. Cast out the demons and stop trying to win for the "mothers". She's been signaling such in her pressers so i'm excited to see it.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm considering putting like 100 euros on djokovic. would probably win like 40 euros at most, but at least it would be some comfort.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Other than Wawrinka and Murray has anyone else won a slam outside of the big 3 in the last 10 years?

Thats kind of depressing about the next generation becuause Fed just looks old out on the court at times and they still can't put him away. Even Nadal has lost a step.

Djoker might still be close to his prime but even if he is not I wonder when or if anyone will step up to break the strangehold these guys have on the majors?

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Other than Wawrinka and Murray has anyone else won a slam outside of the big 3 in the last 10 years?

Thats kind of depressing about the next generation becuause Fed just looks old out on the court at times and they still can't put him away. Even Nadal has lost a step.

Djoker might still be close to his prime but even if he is not I wonder when or if anyone will step up to break the strangehold these guys have on the majors?
Cilic and Del Potro

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
16 years since the last America male 😭
25 in the top 200 though 😏

Is it weird that when I think of up and coming us players I still think of Donald young and Ryan Harrison? Those dudes are old now. Lol

Oh I guess Tiafoe.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not bothered if they keep winning. Calling them old is cute, but I feel like the 60+ year old vets calling the play by plays say out of one side of their mouth that these guys are insanely fit, and that they are getting up there in age out the other. We keep judging by years past when this new guard trains like no one before them. If young up and comers can't beat them then I guess they wait until the top trio actually retires. It's like that grand old saying. If you can't beat them...wait until time does.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
if Fed wins he would HAVE to be one of the oldest guys ever to win a slam. I know Jimmy Connors was able to go deep in slams in his 40's but I don't think he won one in his 40's.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
Novak could end up with 25 slams and still feel like people don't like him. As a huge Federer fan I'm just happy he beat Nadal. Federer has now won 6 of their last 7 matches and with his improved backhand I think he has the edge of him now on anything but clay.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
if Fed wins he would HAVE to be one of the oldest guys ever to win a slam. I know Jimmy Connors was able to go deep in slams in his 40's but I don't think he won one in his 40's.
Looks like Connors won his last one when he was 31.

And yeah, seems he would be the oldest in the open era (37 years, 11 months), beating Rosewall (37 years, 2 months).

And for the oldest ever:

"Arthur Gore won Wimbledon at the age of 41 years in the year 1909 and is the oldest Grand Slam singles winner in the history of tennis."

Nice moustache.

eBz9yyc.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Novak could end up with 25 slams and still feel like people don't like him. As a huge Federer fan I'm just happy he beat Nadal. Federer has now won 6 of their last 7 matches and with his improved backhand I think he has the edge of him now on anything but clay.

I like him. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him take the GS record eventually.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any other sport where there is such a disparity in the domination of one player or team that none of the new players look poised to win or take the older players' places?

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
Halep covers the court far, far better than Serena at this point in Serena's career. I think it takes a Halep collapse to win today.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know Serena has won 49 grand slams, but can someone explain her inconsistency sometimes. It's like she puts out these random shitshows sometimes.