• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
It's part of my job to travel, which I wasn't able to do for most of last year and potentially this year, for that matter. I'm looking forward to traveling again once I'm vaccinated.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Immediately? No. But I'm low down the list and by the time I get one it will be fairly well spread, and I'm using that as a basis for when I plan to start again.

I am currently assuming I'll be able to get it some time in summer and my first planned travel for the year is the first week of December.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
No. I'll probably be the first in my family to get it because I'm essential. Then I have to wait for my wife and kids. No idea when my kids will be able to get it.

And even before that, we need to know if we can spread it even if we are vaccinated. I'm not gonna risk spreading it to unvaccinated people even if it won't hurt my family.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a long distance relationship. I haven't seen my gf in over a year now. Once her and I have it, as well as those we see regularly/things calm down a bit, yes. Maybe it's still not the wisest thing to do then, but my heart hurts.

Pretty much this. Only visiting for 1 week for 2019 Thanksgiving was a massive mistake in hindsight.

I'd be fine just staying with her for a few months as my visa and work allow but she's made a relationship project where we started planning our next vacation but we'll only take it when it's safe for us and those around us.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Not seeing my entire family for years now is killing me. Yes I will travel as soon as me and the fam are all vaccinated. End of the year maybe..

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I already got the first dose and are close to receiving the 2nd dose.
And no I won't do any traveling as the vaccine isn't 100% effective or is 100% capable of spreading the disease.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Hell yes. I have a bunch of travel vouchers and credits that I accumulated at the beginning of 2020 when I had to cancel my trips in Europe due to COVID.

I'm too broke to go to Europe now but I will be using my credits somewhere.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be travelling for leisure again once I am vaccinated and when travel patterns and precautions start to return to normal where I am, and in my destination country/countries, due to a reduction in cases and essentially an end to the epidemic in those locations. Anything before that point is kinda irresponsible..

Oct 30, 2017
Most likely not. Would rather just hang out with my vaccinated friends for the time being, which is better than nothing.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Depends if my city still even has an airport by then. It's not sounding promising, but I would consider flying to Vancouver to see my mom and sister, so long as they are both vaccinated too, if I'm able to.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
nah i will wait until it's safe for everyone to start going about normally. i'm in no rush.

the vaccine doesn't stop you getting it or passing it on.

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
Yes I will! I try to travel at least 2 times a year. I've got tickets for Tomorrowland in Belgium and EDC in Portugal and I need to have a relaxing break away from this cesspool of a country

Nov 7, 2017
nah i will wait until it's safe for everyone to start going about normally. i'm in no rush.

Fuck me where are yall getting this info from out of your asses? There is no I repeat NO definitive statement from any expert that the mRNA vaccines def don't protect you from passing on the virus. We don't have enough data to say that

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Once everyone who wants to be vaccinated has and all that's left are anti-vaxers, then fuck them. Yep.

Jan 29, 2018
I need to get out of this house. Obviously I'd wait at least until two weeks after my second dose of the vaccine, but I'd hope I could take a vacation in the latter half of 2021.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
This really seems to have become an accepted 'truth' somehow.
  • We know that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines reduce symptomatic cases of Covid-19 by around 95%.
  • We don't know to what extent it stops people getting it completely, as cases in the testing were confirmed via people getting tested if they developed symptoms. However, some data in the reports following both the Moderna and AstraZeneca trials appear to show that there is likely a reduction in asymptomatic cases too.
  • It is highly likely that there will be some reduction in transmission / 'passing it on', even if just because less symptoms means less droplets etc, but there is currently no evidence in this area.
So yes, it's definitely a good idea to still persist taking precautions even when vaccinated, as these areas are still being investigated and it's clearly better to be safe than sorry. But absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, and given the missteps with 'you don't need a mask' and similar things from earlier in the pandemic, it's best not to say outright things that we don't know yet.

Nov 7, 2017
This really seems to have become an accepted 'truth' somehow.
  • We know that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines reduce symptomatic cases of Covid-19 by around 95%.
  • We don't know to what extent it stops people getting it completely, as cases in the testing were confirmed via people getting tested if they developed symptoms. However, some data in the reports following both the Moderna and AstraZeneca trials appear to show that there is likely a reduction in asymptomatic cases too.
  • It is highly likely that there will be some reduction in transmission / 'passing it on', even if just because less symptoms means less droplets etc, but there is currently no evidence in this area.
So yes, it's definitely a good idea to still persist taking precautions even when vaccinated, as these areas are still being investigated and it's clearly better to be safe than sorry. But absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, and given the missteps with 'you don't need a mask' and similar things from earlier in the pandemic, it's best not to say outright things that we don't know yet.
Thank you!!!
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about this.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Currently at my phase, just waiting on my profession to get the clearance for the vaccine. Probably over the next month or so. Once I have both, I will feel better about traveling. Masked up and socially distanced. Things won't get back to normal until 2022

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Is there a more in depth version of this quote? The article on CNN doesn't specify if it means the 'whole world' or 'no country' and there's a fairly substantial difference.

I imagine theoretically you don't technically need herd immunity if you're either traveling to areas with a similarly highly immunised zone to where you're from. Obviously masks and social distancing need to stay long term but it's unclear to me exactly what they're stating.

notsol337

Oct 25, 2017
I want the vaccine because I travel for work. It sucks having to choose between keeping a decent job, and being COVID safe. Very much looking forward to getting jabbed.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but I plan on exercising the same safety cautions (mask, social distancing). But yes, I have to get out of NYC or I'm going to lose my mind.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
Is there a more in depth version of this quote? The article on CNN doesn't specify if it means the 'whole world' or 'no country' and there's a fairly substantial difference.

I imagine theoretically you don't technically need herd immunity if you're either traveling to areas with a similarly highly immunised zone to where you're from. Obviously masks and social distancing need to stay long term but it's unclear to me exactly what they're stating.
Doesn't the pull-quote contain the more in-depth quote you're after?
'Because even as vaccines start protecting the most vulnerable, we are not going to achieve any level of population immunity, or herd immunity in 2021 and even if it happens in a couple of pockets in a few countries, it's not going to protect people across the world.'

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's with the trend of these one word OPs lately? I don't care so much in this case, but it is technically against the rules and threads get locked because of it.

Definitely traveling at some point after my shots. Likely just to see friends/family, but they're pretty far so I'll be driving and probably hitting cheap hotels along the way. So whenever we're far enough along for all that to make sense, I'm not trying to look forward to a month/date at this point.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The second it becomes available. While my fiance isn't anti-vax, she's questioned on how quick the turnaround is and has hinted she wants to 'wait'.

I told her the first day available I would take it, and the day after that i would be on a flight to somewhere tropical with our dog sending her selfies of me and him chilling in mankini's (dog-kini's?) at the beach. (she's a huge beach bum)

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The second it becomes available. While my fiance isn't anti-vax, she's questioned on how quick the turnaround is and has hinted she wants to 'wait'.

I told her the first day available I would take it, and the day after that i would be on a flight to somewhere tropical with our dog sending her selfies of me and him chilling in mankini's (dog-kini's?) at the beach. (she's a huge beach bum)

This is bait, right?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Yes I will. If I have the vaccine, and once it's fully completed and the 3-4 weeks afterwards... I am going to make sure I live a little.

I am also in the final group... so everyone will be traveling and gathering before I can get there.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
If I got the vaccine today nothing would change about my life outside of peace of mind. The US and to a lesser extent world is still shut down and you can still pass it around.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I am catching up on the thread now. Seems that my dreams of travelling are dashed if it would just me being asymptomatic and still a carrier, I didn't know that fact.

I meant the fact that you're not supposed to travel the day after your first shot. :)

In general though, it doesn't seem safe to be so eager to travel unless it is to visit a family member in ill health or another essential reason. It's going to be a tough year with a lot of deaths and we should all just hold on a little longer to see the numbers go down before we pull the trigger.

So that we can all have a fantastic 2022.

If I got the vaccine today nothing would change about my life outside of peace of mind. The US and to a lesser extent world is still shut down and you can still pass it around.

I'd feel a lot better about traveling to my mailbox and getting my groceries if I was vaccinated. Can't wait for that.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am counting down the minutes until I'm fully two-stepped vaccinated to go to a beach resort and pretend 2020 never happened.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
Locally? Once my country finishes the majority of its vaccination, maybe.

Globally? Not sure. I'd like to give countries a chance to finish vaccinating their own citizenry first.

This is my thought as well. Considering being vaccinated doesn't mean you can't be a carrier, I don't want to hop on a plane, fly across the ocean only to end up a carrier and put others at risk.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I have plans to travel early fall. Domestically. I may also take a trip in the winter. If we're allowed back in office I assume I will be asked to travel again for work purposes.