• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be rotating subscriptions unless some deals come out that I can't pass. But yes I'll be subbing regardless of The Office and Friends. I'd sooner just buy an Office boxset than maintain a subscription just for it. And I don't like Friends.

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I'll keep it, those shows are not a factor at all. I never bother to finish The Office and have no intention of watching Friends ever.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
I can't stand either show. They are so monumentally fucking boring.

People use them as background noise while falling asleep.

Also laugh tracks are terrible.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes? I kind of care about The Office, but it's far from the only reason I keep a continuous Netflix sub. I couldn't give less of a shit about Friends.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I don't care about either show, nor did I even know they were on Netflix.

Leonadar

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Despite liking Friends when it was on the air, I haven't watched any of it on Netflix. I've never seen a full episode of The Office.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. So people are paying $156 + dollars a year for easy access to shows that they could buy outright for $49 bucks or less?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought it was a bit weird people would pay for a streaming service just for a single show. Seems like a waste of money when you could just a boxset or purchase it online somewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Given that Friends + The Office are responsible for a staggering 3% of all of Netflix's traffic, I figure they comprise a huge part of the service's appeal. The jury is out on whether or not Netflix has actually developed a spate of original content to keep people invested once they lose these shows - I know far too many people (in fact, most people I know with Netflix) who use it exclusively for endless binges/reruns of The Office and Friends, along with whenever Stranger Things ends up happening.

So, here's my question: given the existence of other streaming services, such as Disney Plus, Amazon Prime Video, and the upcoming HBO Max, as well Netflix losing The Office and Friends, will you personally continue to subscribe to Netflix on an ongoing basis once it loses these two shows? I don't mean subscribing for a month when Stranger Things or whatever other Netflix original is out, and then unsubbing until the next time- I mean leaving your subscription going, as you presumably do now.

Why, or why not?

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
People are paying over 120 bucks a year for those shows alone?

How much are the BluRay sets?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Nah. THe wife watches the Office 4-5 times a week. Once thats moved over, we would likely sub 2-3 months a year to watch the several shows we enjoy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I've always thought it was a bit weird people would pay for a streaming service just for a single show. Seems like a waste of money when you could just a boxset or purchase it online somewhere.
People are paying over 120 bucks a year for those shows alone?

How much are the BluRay sets?
The economics of spending $10 a month versus $80 or however much those sets cost come with the psychological factoring of the immediate upfront price.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Friends is something I'll usually have on in the background if I don't want to pay attention... but I'll stick around still

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Seen the office plenty of times, so not a big deal.

Friends is flat out not funny. No show with a laugh track is ever funny. The one exception to that rule is Seinfeld

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I grew to dislike Friends during its original run, so needless to say losing it makes no difference to me. I never really got into The Office.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.

This is what Netflix has released or is releasing film wise in the final few months of this year;

Dolemite is my Name, The King, The Irishman, Marriage Story, The Two Popes.

Astounding breadth of quality and diversity of content there. This is before even getting to Netflix's incredible original programming.

Why would losing The Office and Friends stop people from subscribing?

As for Disney +, it has nothing that remotely threatens or directly competes with Netflix. It's not a threat to the service in the slightest.

HBO Max, Prime and Netflix are competitors. D+ is a niche subscription service and is the one that makes the most sense to subscribe to for a month or two a year.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the other content available on it and some of its original shows are what me and mine have it for anyways. I will say that Frasier leaving is a bigger loss than either of them in my eyes, though.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Considering I literally couldn't care less about those shows, especially that boomer show Friends, yes.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I only keep Netflix for Mindhunter, The Kingdom, She-Ra and The Crown. Friends sucks and The Office is too cringey for a rewatch.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Um, yes?

I love Friends and I'm glad I had the opportunity to enjoy it; I was too young in the 90s to catch on when it first aired and by the time I was older it was already in its final seasons and I didn't care.

That said, $80 million for only one additional year of streaming rights that's about to expire is patently absurd. Yeah, I took advantage of that timeframe, lots of us did, but that much money for a show with its most recent episodes literally a decade and a half old is really hard to wrap my head around sometimes, since it has already made a tremendous amount of money even pre-Netflix.

Frankly, WB/HBO Max has more to lose in the long run. Netflix has a robust library and a lot of quality content by itself; by WB not letting Friends stay on Netflix, they are just missing out on more views. After all the initial hype fades, very few people are going to shell out another $15 a month or whatever it is just to always have streaming access to Friends. They need a better reason to get people flocking over to a new streaming platform other than a historic sitcom that ended in 2003.

Now if Friends did a reunion show... well... THAT could be understandable. Perhaps that's the end game, and if it is, I tip my hat. Otherwise... it's just a desperate attempt to woo Netflix subscribers into giving their platform a try. Good luck.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty crazy to me that they are such a high portion of the traffic.

Personally I'm not planning to re-watch the office or give friends a chance anytime soon. I'll keep subscribed.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched both of those shows on Netflix but it's not like I'm continuously watching them so yeah. I work from home and the TV is almost always on for some background noise but you still gotta mix it up

Netflix is usually teetering on the edge for me but they've been killing it in the film dept. lately if not TV. If they don't raise the prices more, I don't see myself canceling anytime soon

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Give it time. It's very new.

The problem with Disney+ is they have to spend over half of their production budget for original content on kid-focused content. Now good chance a decent amount of that kid-focused content is great for adults too - like those Pixar shorts - but still limits the amount they can provide. They also can't release certain kind of content (R-rated as example) from an original production standpoint.

Now I'm on board for Disney+ due to that it's the only stop to stream Disney, Marvel, etc movies afterwords - but if your focus is only original content, Netflix is king in variety of content.

With Disney+ I'll never be able to go from a cooking show to a serious R-rated drama to a Japanese house reality show to a satirical news show to a documentary on something serious.

Just have to pair down expectations of what you get.

You know what I've been surprised with and happy so far with? Apple TV+. I'm enjoying all 3 of there main shows - The Morning Show, See, and For All Mankind.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. Also, Disney+ has barely any content yet and thus isnt a competitor.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol @ the idea of my sub being contingent on those old shows. They don't exist in my eyes, don't care about them.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't watch either. But the shows I do watch have all moved over to Hulu. If Disney starts to get shows from NBC and CBS I'll switch over from Netflix.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Given that you already quoted a whopping 3% you created a thread where on avg 3 of 100 posts are going to say they'd cancel.... which is about what you see here.
I've never watched either show on netflix

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
IDGAF about The Office.

Friends is better but not something I keep Netflix for (or have ever seen a lot of - nothing against it, I've seen some of it over the years and it's not bad).

Keeping Netflix probably forever. Tons of great stuff there. Endless backlog.

Disney+ or any other service I've seen doesn't even come close. Amazon Prime is okay, but it's really no contest.

Netflix for life.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I think youre overestimating the drawing power of those two shows. Netflix is about new content. Having said that, I do welcome Seinfeld but there is now show that I would sub just to rewatch over and over again. Maybe Married with Children though....

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
It's certainly a blow. I don't watch friends and I own all of the office, but it's just one more chink in armor.