• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Topic.

• Yes.

Votes: 69 27.1%
  • No.

Votes: 186 72.9%

• Total voters

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck yes I'll pilot your mobile suit, whose dick do I have to suck? I don't even care if I become a blood splatter within 30 minutes of my first outing.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
No we should be able to do things without actual war. That's just decisions by bad cancerous people, sending ignorant and innocent people into death.
I'll play a game though.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If it runs on emotions
latest

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Military, nah. I've done my time. But for competition? Totally.

Jm4.gif

tumblr_och7svBKbw1rjxyrgo1_500.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Only if the robots are only allowed to kill other robots and wars are fought off planet in a virtual arena like a giant game of chromehounds. So I voted yes but only with the prior stipulations in place. Chromehounds was so good.

You know what, maybe we should skip the whole actual robot building part and just make a virtual arena for robot fighting and tie a countries defense spending to the amount of robots they can deploy in this virtual arena. Since we don't need to actually build the robots we can then use that defense money for actual sensible shit like caring for other people instead of trying to murder them. Meanwhile the warlords among us can dick around playing chromehounds because chromehounds was so good (outside of the matchmaking). It's a perfect plan if implemented worldwide we'd solve a bunch of problems instantly.

Last edited:

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Funny you would think it will be awesome like anime. But 99.99% you will be no name red shirt that probably last 2s.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
No thanks. Give me that Gunpla arena fighting experience from Gundam Build Fighters instead. It looks safer and more fun.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Is the only reason you don't kill people the fact that you might also die or that you don't think guns are "cool"?

That's fucked up.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Nah. As much as I love the idea of controlling a giant robot, I'd be too old and washed to be any good at it. Besides, the idea of managing an awkward killing machine isn't exactly a fun one!

However, if we're operating on some IGPX shit with a league and rules, then I'm totally down to clown. Put me in, Coach!

Nov 1, 2017
Hell, no. Completely apart from the not wanting to kill/be killed thing, I've used military gear. That shit is made by the lowest bidder. I'd trust my robot about as far as I could throw it.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
There are military robots you can pilot. We kill dozens every month with them.

But more to your question, I'd consider being something like a labor pilot or a Topless, as giant robots are cool, one might say too cool to be restricted to military us

Hell, no. Completely apart from the not wanting to kill/be killed thing, I've used military gear. That shit is made by the lowest bidder. I'd trust my robot about as far as I could throw it.

Ha, there's a good bit in Gundam: Origin about this very thing too.

Fuck yes I'll pilot your mobile suit, whose dick do I have to suck? I don't even care if I become a blood splatter within 30 minutes of my first outing.

Last edited:

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Yes, because our problem with the military was that the murdering part just wasn't cool enough.

Don't become the monster your anime warned you about, y'all.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Using these machines (and their present-time counterparts, the drones) makes the killing of other people so impersonal and removed it probably feels like a videogame. It makes it so easy, it's terrible. That's why thousands of civilians have been killed by drones and the people responsible don't even care, they just call it collateral. It's easy not to care when you don't even see their faces, and you are piloting a machine as if it was a game, with zero risk to you.

So no, I would not join the military even if the offer of piloting enormous killing machines was an option. I'm not a killer.
Exactly this.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. If only to make my big brother happy and keep my girly around. She's a bit fickle.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Also, why do all of you nerds want to be inside of robots instead remote controlling them? Is that some kinda fetish. Am I kinkshaming you right now?
Because it's cooler when you do it yourself. It's like how people want to have super powers. The difference here, though, is if you're a grunt level Gundam pilot, there's like a 95% chance you're getting styled on, and I don't wanna go out like that. I'd need to be guaranteed the most busted, OP suit available.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can I just play the inevitable VR cockpit trainer instead?

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the murder machines the military has now are lame, I would totally join up if they had way cooler murder machines. /s

Not even gonna justify this poll with a vote.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be that anti war protagonist who had no choice but to fight after being invaded by other robots. I'll climb in one that's been downed, but then get immediately shot.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Only if they confirm me that I would fight (and eventually kill) Katz Kobayashi or Reccoa Londe

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I would join the military if all war was just robot vs robot remote fighting with no human casualties.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Where Austin Walker when you need him for a subject like this.
My view point on this is we get into Robot when we're in a state that have no choice but to get into one.
Pretty much my POV

If there was a draft going on I'd preemptively join just so I could get a bit of agency over where I go.

Piloting a Valkyrie doesn't sound too bad, unless reaction weapons (aka Anti-Matter bombs) become a thing, than I can 100% guarantee I would probably die either in some sort of accidental detonation or from the enemy firing hundreds of them in a volley.

Zeshakag

Oct 28, 2017
OP I'm imagining a Marine recruiter asking me your thread title in a last ditch attempt to keep me from walking out of the recruiting office and it's making me laugh.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
No, I have seen how many people die in half a second in those shows. I would love to pilot a robot around, but I don't want to kill anyone and I don't want to die.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
If the lives of me, my family, and my friends were threatened directly with immediate death if I refused to join the military, I still would never join the military