• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you have a 4ktv by the time next gen consoles arrive?

• Yes, got one already or will have one by then

Votes: 668 69.4%
  • No, 4k is overrated or cant afford one

Votes: 134 13.9%
  • yes, and it will have hdmi 2.1

Votes: 143 14.9%
  • Im a switch only player and graphics mean nothing to me

Votes: 17 1.8%

• Total voters

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
I'm in a pickle (not really, I don't have a job soooooo)

I have a 4k TV. A late 2015 "Top of the Line" 65" LG with 3-D (yup) but no HDR. HDR seemingly became a thing the following year. So I have a 60hz TV w/o HDR going into a generation that favours higher frame-rate and HDR.

I'm incentivized to just wait until I can upgrade everything at this point, and even then it's getting rid of a perfectly capable TV for very little reason.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
4k yes, HDR no. The standard wasn't settled at the time I got mine (Still isn't to some extent), so I didn't spend the several extra hundreds of dollars it would have taken to future proof that. Given that VRR and and high refresh rates are now a thing for TVs, I'll be waiting until the 2.1 features become more standardized before picking up a new 4k TV with good HDR (And those features). Spending $1k+ on a TV has just never sat right with me anyway.

So I have a 60hz TV w/o HDR going into a generation that favours higher frame-rate and HDR.
I wouldn't be drawing that conclusion just yet. Let's wait and see what games look like in a year. I have real doubts that 60+ refresh rates are going to be a common occurrence, and HDR has been case by case since last gen.

Last edited:

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No, but mostly because I dont get rid of something that still works fine. I upgrade when the old TV is broken, or I can use it for something else but my main tv.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I am getting the Xbox Series X and will proudly be rocking a 1080p TV. I am still going off the visual high of going from a CRT to a full HD TV so I don't think I will need a 4k TV for at least a few more years. Not that I could ever afford a good one of course.

I feel so pressured to get one because it seems like everyone and their dog keep shouting about how amazing 4k tv's are and how 1080p users are losers lol. I can never afford a tv that will optimally take advantage of next gen hardware so I have learned to live with less. 1080p TV owner forever and proud!

Oct 27, 2017
i'm fine with my relatively decent 1080 goofball tv. it's big and there's minimal lag and it still works.

whenever it dies, i'll get that 4k

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Got a 4K & HDR Samsung QLED but it's pretty small at 43 inches. Can't get bigger in the space I have available though. Looks really nice though.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
That is.... a lot of LG OLEDs here lol... we better be ready to make some noise if LG fucks something up when it comes to compatibility with upcoming consoles.
I am getting the Xbox Series X and will proudly be rocking a 1080p TV. I am still going off the visual high of going from a CRT to a full HD TV so I don't think I will need a 4k TV for at least a few more years. Not that I could ever afford a good one of course.

I feel so pressured to get one because it seems like everyone and their dog keep shouting about how amazing 4k tv's are and how 1080p users are losers lol. I can never afford a tv that will optimally take advantage of next gen hardware so I have learned to live with less. 1080p TV owner forever and proud!
Don't worry about it.

1080p users might have a last laugh after all.... literally every game will be downsampling from higher resolution and it will look incredible even on a 1080p display. Also probably perfect for upcoming modes with ray-tracing eye candy.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
If there was a truly great option with HDMI 2.1 I would but I don't really see that.

I'd never buy a LG again after a bad experience with one of their plasmas.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I've still got a 49" Samsung KS7000, had it for nearly 4 years now but I plan on keeping it for foreseeable future.

Has anybody upgraded to an OLED from a KS series and how much of an upgrade was it?

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I currently have a very middle of the range LG 1080P TV from probably 2016 that has suited me fine.

I'm not looking at this in 49 inches as an upgrade: https://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-49NANO85UNA

I don't have the money or space (49 inches is the absolute max for my current room) for an OLED, as much as I'd like one. One can go mad trying to find the "perfect" TV, but I think I'll just get one that counts as a nice upgrade to me personally.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
4k yes, HDR no. The standard wasn't settled at the time I got mine (Still isn't to some extent), so I didn't spend the several extra hundreds of dollars it would have taken to future proof that. Given that VRR and high refresh rates are now a thing for TVs, I'll be waiting until the 2.1 features become more standardized before picking up a new 4k TV with good HDR (And those features). Spending $1k+ on a TV has just never sat right with me anyway.

I wouldn't be drawing that conclusion just yet. Let's wait and see what games look like in a year. I have real doubts that 60+ refresh rates are going to be a common occurrence, and HDR has been case by case since last gen.

The VRR stuff is likely more important, you're right.

it's VRR>HDR>120 for me, but all that at 75" <$1000 CAD (unless my tv actually breaks)

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the market for a television, but I don't want spend $1k for one. Anyone know of a decent tv that can do 120hz or will I have to cough up the big bucks?

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
I currently have a very middle of the range LG 1080P TV from probably 2016 that has suited me fine.

I'm not looking at this in 49 inches as an upgrade: https://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-49NANO85UNA

I don't have the money or space (49 inches is the absolute max for my current room) for an OLED, as much as I'd like one. One can go mad trying to find the "perfect" TV, but I think I'll just get one that counts as a nice upgrade to me personally.

You're criteria is the same as mine... and i bought that exact TV at the same size last week. It's amazing trust me!

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
I have a really good 49" Samsung 4K tele but I would really love a screen in the 30-40" range to be honest.

I really hope LG and Samsung start to put their top tech into smaller screen sizes. Especially as more people will want to move to 4K with the Series X|S and PS5.

There's a very slim chance of it happening though I'd imagine but not everybody has room for the bigger screens.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Got a CX 55" in anticipation of the PS5. Haven't been blown away by HDR so far, so I hoping the CX will change my mind.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I have a c8 and I am happy with it. I'm not really into competitive gaming so 120hz isn't something I am overly concerned about missing.

FourSerioux

Nov 1, 2017
I don't have one yet, but I plan on picking up a Sony x900h prior to the consoles releases. Oddly enough the trickier thing is finding a selection of HDMI 2.1 cables; at least ones that are in-wall rate.

Cruets

Nov 1, 2017
I would expect most of era members to have upgraded to 4k long ago honestly. We're not exactly the general public

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember but do you play 2K? Have you tried playing on the CX, I know a lot of the lag is animations and other BS. Just wondering if there's any noticeable difference.

Yeah I do play 2k. There is a very noticeable difference between my B6 and my CX. On my B6 I'd play on my PC monitor the input lag was that noticeable.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Until there are decent 4k HDR TVs under 500 bucks I can't see me buying one for myself with how little use it would get as I'm primarily playing at a desk on my PC.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i've had one for like 5 years now and i'm not particularly "well off"

but i can see why it's still a thing for some people i dunno

Oct 27, 2017
Why is there no option for 'maybe'?

I'm looking into upgrading to a 4K TV, but I dunno if I'll have one for launch. Hell, I don't even know when I'll have a PS5.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I'm a bit conflicted because we have an old 1080p TV in the living room while I use a 1080p projector in the basement. Ideally, I'll get a 4k projector but they're too pricey at the moment. I can get a 4k tv instead but that would have to go in the living room.

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017
  • 65" X900H just 3 weeks ago.
  • The difference from my 55" Samsung Ks8000 is immense.
  • HDR much better, brights hurt my eyes.
  • So much easier to configure, makes much more sense and the auto Netflix config is a nice bonus.
  • Generally just much much better.
  • One key to not overlook is the general rule that tv size should be = or greater than half the distance from where you view it. Not once since I've owned it have I felt I needed to move up to a closer chair and I always did before this.
How far are you sitting from your 65 inch TV?

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
How far are you sitting from your 65 inch TV?
Currently 10'
To put it in perspective, I used to move to about 5-6' away to play COD and feel like I was not at a disadvantage. now I might lean forward on occasion, about 9', but that is more focusing and not because I can't make something out well.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
Still no 4K TV's in my home but likely there will be in time for the revised model PS5 (Slim/Pro) in a few years time when I pull the trigger for next gen.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
I've got a 75inch TCL 4k HDR set where I setup my Xbox Series X. Once I configured the HDR I found it had a bit of a delay. Making games unplayable.

So disappointed. Had to disable HDR gaming until I get a new TV. Which likely won't be for along time. Games still look fantastic. But nowhere near their potential without the HDR, 120hz etc. options available to me.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I've got a 75inch TCL 4k HDR set where I setup my Xbox Series X. Once I configured the HDR I found it had a bit of a delay. Making games unplayable.

So disappointed. Had to disable HDR gaming until I get a new TV. Which likely won't be for along time. Games still look fantastic. But nowhere near their potential without the HDR, 120hz etc. options available to me.
Which model TCL?