• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will say I don't know what happened, but this is not like the other cases of #metoo. Tom Sneddon, the DA in Santa Barbara was trying to nail Jackson for years and quite honestly their case in 2005 was laughably stupid at times (ie: the mother in the case tried to claim that she was "trapped" on the Neverland estate and pondered trying to escape via hot air balloon even though her credit card records show she was out and about shopping).

So this isn't the case of this being under the radar for years, the Santa Barbara police department has been going after Jackson for a long time and raided his home unannounced and ultimately lost in court.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I will say I don't know what happened, but this is not like the other cases of #metoo. Tom Sneddon, the DA in Santa Barbara was trying to nail Jackson for years and quite honestly their case in 2005 was laughably stupid at times (ie: the mother in the case tried to claim that she was "trapped" on the Neverland estate and pondered trying to escape via hot air balloon even though her credit card records show she was out and about shopping).

So this isn't the case of this being under the radar for years, the Santa Barbara police department has been going after Jackson for a long time and raided his home unannounced and ultimately lost in court.
Jesus. What in the actual fuck!!!

And people still believe Jackson was a peado and not some nice guy who people were trying to take advantage of because of his wealth?

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I'm skeptical. at sundance they came out and said 'we received no payment for this documentary' when in fact they are in the middle of legal action trying to sue his estate for billions of dollars. That right there was a red flag.

I also don't believe any of the previous accusations against him, after having examined all the evidence. The FBI did 10 years of surveillance and investigation, surprise raids on his home, etc etc and found nothing at all.

Also, this isn't like R kelly, who video taped himself urinating on a 14 year old and still got acquitted. There was no evidence against Jackson, ever, of any kind, the kids were all coached in their testimony which was later retracted and the parents were demonstrably trying to attack any celebrity they could get their claws into for money.

If the allegations in this new documentary are true I would be very surprised.

Tha' Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I REALLY don't agree with his other videos but here's a follow up on his previous video about the accusations, this time covering the subjects of this new "documentary":

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how to feel. Hope we're rational enough to not judge someone by their art but how creepy it is to have other people's children spend the night.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people want to separate the art from the artist here but when someone turns out to be alt right theyre like "fuck this guy im never watching them again"

Oct 27, 2017
Depends what the allegations are to be honest. If it turns out he was a monster then yeah; I probably couldn't listen to his music with a clean conscience. However, I thought the stuff raised against him in the past turned out to be false, and in my opinion I thought he was very naive and childlike but probably not a sexual predator.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how many people want to separate the art from the artist here but when someone turns out to be alt right theyre like "fuck this guy im never watching them again"
At least for me it usually depends what that art is. I can't watch jontron and Louis CK again because what they do is entirely linked to their character. But if I watch a Woody Allen movie because he's on screen I'll still watch it. Now supporting that work with my actual money is a different situation.

Honestly my music has yet to be really challenged, but I don't see myself not listening to thriller

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I won't stop listening to his music because 1- It's freaking awesome 2- The guy had his life investigated upside down for years, exposed to the world several times, went to court and was declared not guilty and no concrete evidence was ever found so I think this subject is better put to rest, and this documentary coming up now is really disrespectful tbh.

I mean, the guy clearly had mental health issues and struggled his whole life because he had no privacy whatsoever, and wasn't even given rest to cope with his problems, and now, even 10 years after he is dead he still can't be left alone? Fuck.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
People using the 'BUT HE SLEPT IN THE SAME BED!' accusation, know that was made up by the prosecution right?
People like Culkin very clearly said that they would sleep in the same bedroom as Micheal, but his bedroom was the size of a duplex with two stories in it. Micheal would retreat to his own bed when it was time to sleep.

The prosecution twisted that into the same bed and got their asses called out on it back in 2005.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Jackson was extremely screwed up thanks to his upbringing, but despite years of investigations nothing has ever been found. Over and over his accusers have been exposed. Nobody, neither the kids or the families, ever want justice. They want a paycheck.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least for me it usually depends what that art is. I can't watch jontron and Louis CK again because what they do is entirely linked to their character. But if I watch a Woody Allen movie because he's on screen I'll still watch it. Now supporting that work with my actual money is a different situation.

Honestly my music has yet to be really challenged, but I don't see myself not listening to thriller

Very weird example. Woody Allen movies are very much linked to his character.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
For real.This thread is loaded with MJ defenders attacking anyone that believes MJ's victims. Half this thread should be banned.

Too many people throw out their principles when it comes to somebody they like and do not want to believe could be a bad person.

This forum is one of the most admirably progressive that I have ever been a part of, until it comes to celebrities people have an affinity for, at which point some people completely ditch all logic and reason.

Michael Jackson made some killer music, but that should not insulate him from serious accusations.

Oct 27, 2017
I think MJ is too ubiquitous to completely mute or ignore. I wouldn't buy a record, for instance, but I don't think I would change the radio station the moment one of his songs comes on.

He did some very bad shit, but the man is dead. He isn't profitting anymore, I just wish part of this went to his victims.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The smug self assuredness of the MJ Defense here, as if it was the learned position, and they were coldly leaning in established fact against irrational, ignorant haters who lacked knowledge.

Fucking appalling.

This thread should be a graveyard.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm assuming the documentary shed some new light on the accusations? What was that thing about the creators suing his estate

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Dude went to court and was found innocent. That's good enough for me. Even if he did do it, I don't care enough to stop listening to his music. Guy's dead, he isn't making money off anything.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that documentary sure did cause a rapid turnabout. This thread is only two months old, but it might as well be 20 years.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Wow, that documentary sure did cause a rapid turnabout. This thread is only two months old, but it might as well be 20 years.
People believe what they want to believe unless truth is thrown in their face. That's what this documentary did for a lot of people.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Never going to stop listening to his music, its ingrained since childhood and his music has helped me through some tough times.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
The man is dead he doesn't benefit from any music sales. The art is still here it does nothing to not listen to it.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've definitely had to reassess my relationship with the man's music, and I admit it hasn't been easy. I ended up deleting all his music outta my Apple Music library. I've taken a pretty adamant stance on not supporting artists who are abusers (looking at a lot of up and coming rappers). I won't even listen to David Bowie, even though I was never much a fan, because of him sleeping with underage groupies. I was a huge fan of MJ, but I just can't enjoy his music given the new allegations.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Took all His music off my playlists, blocked all of it from popping up. He's dead to be, in more ways ways than one

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I haven't seen the documentary yet, but if it's as damning as everyone is saying, I won't be able to stomach MJ's music anymore. It doesn't matter that he's dead.

I'll watch it today.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
You and OJ be sure to let us know when you find the real killers.
Ultimately MJ is dead. The whole thing was muddled enough for him to convince a jury he didn't do it. So for me it's whatever as I can easily separate the artist from the artwork/music in a situation like this.

Tamati Hemi

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
New Zealand
It's on in NZ this weekend so I'll be watching it then. But as of now, considering he was found innocent in a court of law and knowing that one of the men in the doc swore under oath that nothing happened, I'm going into it believing that he did not abuse kids. In my opinion, this doc is just for people to make money off so I am interested myself in seeing whether the doc changes my view on the whole matter.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Nah, he went to court and was proved non-guilty on multiple allegations. I need cold hard facts and evidence to sway my opinion

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Dude went to court and was found innocent. That's good enough for me. Even if he did do it, I don't care enough to stop listening to his music. Guy's dead, he isn't making money off anything.

If you think that the function of the courts is to adjudicate innocence or guilt you are extremely naive.

Michael Jackson was never found innocent. He was found not guilty which means that the jury could not determine beyond any reasonable doubt that he was guilty.

There are times when a court issues a ruling that they find the defendant innocent. This only happens in extreme cases when the innocence of the defendant is so obvious that a court decides that it must take legal notice of that innocence.

That is not what happened in either of the Jackson trials.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's on in NZ this weekend so I'll be watching it then. But as of now, considering he was found innocent in a court of law and knowing that one of the men in the doc swore under oath that nothing happened, I'm going into it believing that he did not abuse kids. In my opinion, this doc is just for people to make money off so I am interested myself in seeing whether the doc changes my view on the whole matter.
We know for a fact he's a predator and abused kids

Status
Not open for further replies.