• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you fly on the 737 MAX?

• No way

Votes: 441 75.0%
  • YOLO

Votes: 147 25.0%

• Total voters

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Problems go deeper than that I'm afraid.

www.seattletimes.com

Boeing finds debris in wing fuel tanks of undelivered 737 MAXs, orders inspections

Boeing has ordered inspections of all the undelivered 737 MAXs after it discovered debris that mechanics left inside the wing fuel tanks of several of the aircraft.

www.seattletimes.com

FAA faces dilemma over 737 MAX wiring flaw that Boeing missed

Modifying the wiring would be a delicate and expensive task, and Boeing this week submitted a proposal to the FAA, arguing that it shouldn't be required.
Wow, first I'm hearing about this. Kinda stopped following this after it died down a bit in the news, and there's clearly been some new revelations.
Fuck Boeing, and I can't believe that likely no one in their board will face justice for this

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
do I have a choice? I am not even sure what airlines used or will use them and on what type of flights or destinations.

When you book a flight, it usually tells you the exact model of airplane that flght is.So just nope outta there if its a 737 max. I don't think it will ever fly again and forsee Boeing having to be bailed out by the govt or something dumb in the future.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If enough experts and certification bodies say it's safe and it gets used for a while without there being any incidents then sure.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever payed attention/known to the model of plane when I travel. So....maybe?

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I always look at what plane I'm on before booking a ticket anyway (Seatguru user to find the best seats.) So if I see a 737 MAX, I simply won't book those tickets.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I absolutely have to(for scheduling/time-sensitive reasons), I'm going to avoid it. Would rather pay extra money to fly on another plane.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
At the very least they will rebrand it. Hopefully they release the name of the rebrand so I know not to go anywhere near it.

TLDR: Fuck no

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fundamental problem is the MAX changes aren't compatible with the 737 frame. Adding some redundancy can go a long way (incidents like the two that took place recently, assuming a 1 in a million chance, would then have only a 1 in a million chance of a crash, as opposed to a 100% chance, at a high level), but the failure involves anti-stall sensors. Fundamentally they still need to consolidate the sensory data into a conclusive action, which I'm sure mathematicians already worked out since they had two sensors installed in the first place.

I just can't believe that the plane was certified with no training or manual documentation for an embedded system that automatically adjusted the trim. That suggests to me that the system wasn't properly vetted during design, development, testing, and certification. Which I suppose is obvious given the fact that two planes crashed in 5 months.

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
tenor.gif

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Teslas spontaneously combust and people still drive them. How is this different?

Uh, not every Tesla has the probability of combustion caused by fundamental design flaws in both the hardware and software like the Max does.

That's like saying not riding a train because it can derail, or not climbing any tree because they can fall down from a gust of strong wind.

A freak ocurrence != engineering corner cutting.

radosiewka

Oct 29, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
I've started checking up with what kind of plane I would be flying with before buying a ticket (and usually if I have similar alternatives - choosing Airbus rather than Boeing). If I would see that it's a Boeing Max, I would think twice if I really want to go in that place and if it's the best alternative.

And as other already written - they will rename it, claiming that's a completely new quality and plane. People who are not following news wont even now what they are flying with.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
How is "You only live once" supposed to mean "I'll gladly risk my life"?

The plane will fly, it will get rebranded, and might receive from updates. But the fundamental flaw of the aircraft remains. The engines were never meant for that air frame.
The A320neo seems to work fine despite also reusing an older frame for these engines.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
With the FOD in the fuel and the wiring that needs to be done, hell to the no. I doubt the bird gets in the air again without a rebrand and even though the FAA is bought and paid for, other countries have no reason to allow it.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Not unless it gets certified by a agency outside of the US. Wouldn't trust Boeing and the FAA not to work together to just get it out the door.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
How is "You only live once" supposed to mean "I'll gladly risk my life"?

The A320neo seems to work fine despite also reusing an older frame for these engines.
The A320neo has higher ground clearance. Therefore, it can mount the newer, bigger/taller engines without much issue. The problem with the 737 Max is that it doesn't have the ground clearance so they mounted the engines much more forward on the wing. This creates the tendency to point the nose of the airframe up. Hence the need for the MCAS system which is suppose to correct it by having the airframe point down.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't think they will fly again. They've been grounded for too long at this point. The FAA might not have a spine and pass them but other agencies in Europe and Asia won't. Airlines aren't going to buy a plane that the FAA says is ok but every other agency says isn't ok. It only got through in the first place because of corrupt bullshit.

Edit: Thinking about it some more, I think I will probably actively avoid flying on a Boeing plane ever again. It's not difficult in Europe.

Last edited:

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
When you book a flight, it usually tells you the exact model of airplane that flght is.So just nope outta there if its a 737 max. I don't think it will ever fly again and forsee Boeing having to be bailed out by the govt or something dumb in the future.
Uh... almost every airline ticket I've ever booked tells you the aircraft upfront. You might just need to do an extra click or two to get to it.
LOL I think you both have learned I have flown only a handful of times and I have never booked my own flight 🤣 .

side thought, I wonder if they will try to rebrand them and bring it to the market as something different? I have no clue legality on that.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I am probably only flying once, maybe twice this year, but I will be paying extra attention to which aircraft it is

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what kind of plane I'm flying on until I get on the plane, get seated, and flip through the little security pamphlet in the seat pocket (sometimes I get bored and curious, okay), and by that point it's a bit late.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's gonna be a big no from me, dawg. I fly Southwest for the majority of the flights I take which, iirc, is a 100% 737 fleet. I really hope they don't start using the Max. Delta is the only major American carrier that I know of that uses Airbus for domestic flights? Do any of the other airlines?

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
That's gonna be a big no from me, dawg. I fly Southwest for the majority of the flights I take which, iirc, is a 100% 737 fleet. I really hope they don't start using the Max. Delta is the only major American carrier that I know of that uses Airbus for domestic flights? Do any of the other airlines?

Southwest already owns many MAXs, that's why they keep changing their planned schedules every few months because they can't use them right now.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Sure, who gives a shit.

You will, into your pants, as it falls out of the air.

🤣 😝

Teslas spontaneously combust and people still drive them. How is this different?

Just like any other car vs plane argument. You have a high chance of surviving a car wreck or escaping from them afterwards. You have darn near a 0 percent chance of surviving a plane wreck 😉 , even if the chance of being in one is far smaller.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Would you speed down the expressway without a seatbelt?
Would you play Russian roulette?
Would you take a random substance with no knowledge of what it is?

I'm not taking wholly unnecessary risks that have zero benefits.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I already hate flying, I will consider taking the train even if it adds a day or two if means avoiding the max.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't bother to ever check what kind of plane I'm flying on. So if it goes back into service probably. Eh who cares.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already way too paranoid about dying in a plane crash to ever fly one of these things.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Problems go deeper than that I'm afraid.

www.seattletimes.com

Boeing finds debris in wing fuel tanks of undelivered 737 MAXs, orders inspections

Boeing has ordered inspections of all the undelivered 737 MAXs after it discovered debris that mechanics left inside the wing fuel tanks of several of the aircraft.

www.seattletimes.com

FAA faces dilemma over 737 MAX wiring flaw that Boeing missed

Modifying the wiring would be a delicate and expensive task, and Boeing this week submitted a proposal to the FAA, arguing that it shouldn't be required.

Correction of certification errors and quality escapes are daily life in aircraft manufacturers. Those becoming so public is only really happening because the 737 Max and Boeing as a whole are under a very bright spotlight. Not undeservedly so, of course.

As for topic, I would probably give it a few years for testing, if they are ever even allowed to fly again.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I'm an anxious flyer and already check what type of plane I'll be flying on before booking.

I will go out of my way to avoid ever flying on one of these unless it's impossible not to. Even willing to pay more to avoid it

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Probably won't have a choice when they enter full service as driving isn't really an option as I travel for work and family members live on opposite end of the US. On the plus side, this will probably end up being one of the safest planes ever produced by Boeing thanks to intense public scrutiny.