• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you buy RE8 if it’s first person?

• Yes, I’ll buy it day 1.

Votes: 563 68.8%
  • Yes, but I’m gonna wait till it’s used/discounted.

Votes: 119 14.5%
  • No, I will not buy it.

Votes: 136 16.6%

• Total voters

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If its like RE7? Absolutely. I adored the change in perspective.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
1st or 3rd person isn't really big deal for me

btw i do like action oriented RE, i know this is unpopular opinion but i will buy RE 8 in a hearthbeat if it's similar to RE6

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Of course. It'd have to be the lowest of the low for me not to buy it. I didn't pick up that action game after Operation Racoon City (whatever it was) and the Dead Aim games but I've played pretty much every one of them.

And 7 was fantastic, despite the ending levels.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
After playing RE2 I wanted another third person game but if they do RE3 then I'll still get my fix. I went back and played 7 after 2 and I loved it even though I still prefer third person. I'll take first person if they can keep the quality equal or higher than in 7. Day 1.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
i mean i expect it to be. they have their remake series for at least another 3 games (possibly 4) for the over the shoulder action

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1st or 3rd person isn't really big deal for me

btw i do like action oriented RE, i know this is unpopular opinion but i will buy RE 8 in a hearthbeat if it's similar to RE6

Considering how much RE6 has sold and continues to sell, I'd say it's hardly an unpopular opinion :p

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Sure, but I buy all the main line games.

They need to nail down the movement though if they are going first person again. It worked in 7, but the combat and movement felt... off in the game to me.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely! Resident evil 7 was great. With a bigger budget and less focus on VR I think it could be incredible.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Nope. They tricked me once with RE7 won't happen again. I like FPS games, and that's probably my biggest problem, a game that plays like RE in a first person perspective just feels like shit. It's way too slow, and the answer for a Resident Evil game isn't just to make it faster.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, but I do think they should keep FP RE going. Main series, side series, whatever.

Deleted member 11943

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the market can easily support both, maybe in the same year. A camp and possibly coop RE series and the dead serious first person game.

Survival horror has wide appeal and probably realistic budgets, similar to horror movies.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
First person is not a deal breaker. However, I would prefer 3rd person. I thought 7 was okay, and I enjoyed parts of it, but I didn't find the scenes built around the perspective (and more accurately, VR) to be compelling. I'm glad RE2 wasn't handled this way.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I would but for the love of god please have an actual protagonist.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer third person like REmake 2 but RE7 was still a brilliant game in first person, not only will I buy it day one I will probably pre-order ASAP too.

Capcom is just that good these days.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The perspective doesn't really matter to me as much as the tone and content. Is it going to be like RE7? If so I won't buy it because I don't care for scary horror games. I can't play them. If it's first person but more fast paced and action packed with horror themes, like DOOM or RE5, then sure. More importantly though, it must have characters from the franchise I recognize and give a crap about. RE7 was so disconnected from being a "RE" game they might as well have made it a new IP spinoff.

While I usually don't care for most FPSes?

I would admit that something closer to Doom (2016)/Eternal would get my interest. But at the very least, they just need to make up their minds. The second half of the main campaign, and especially the "Not a Hero" and "End of Zoe" DLC both seemed to suggest that Capcom was willing to flirt with the idea of a full-blown "action RE" in first person. So, just go for it, then, if that's the case.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
Yep, give me that 3 pillar strategy:

RE7/8/9 in first person

REmake 2/3/CV/Whatever else is the "classic" RE experience.

Revelations or other side-games for the more action-oriented installments.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, give me that 3 pillar strategy:

RE7/8/9 in first person

REmake 2/3/CV/Whatever else is the "classic" RE experience.

Revelations or other side-games for the more action-oriented installments.
I like this. I could live with this so long as they release one from each pillar before working on different project within that same pillar.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to buy it just because it's first-person, but I'm far less likely to buy another third-person game from them if they don't fix the keyboard and mouse controls in RE2 (RE7 was fine).
When the first-person mod was released for the game, it made me realize that the perspective certainly played a role in getting bored and dropping the game 2/3 through "Leon A". Though the mod has issues and it's not a way that I actually want to play through the entire game (yet), what I did play was far more engaging than everything else up to that point.
I lose interest in third-person games a lot easier than first-person. Probably because there is no direct connection to what is happening on-screen, so they are not immersive at all.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I'd much prefer it. The over the shoulder cam is what has primarily driven me away from RE2make. I'd rather the series not be homogenized in such a manner.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I prefer third person but I'm okay with first person- but please, do the cutscenes in third-person like in End of Zoe and Not a Hero. Ethan's too much of a blank slate for me to care about.

Oct 25, 2017
I wont play it even free as I have motion sickness that prevents me from enjoying FP games

I am all for Developer full freedom , but I of course hope RE8 isnt FP

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer third person; but really as long as the game is good it doesn't matter. I didn't vote because between third person and first person it doesn't effect my decision. Only care if the game is fun.

Oct 30, 2017
What's with all the threads about RE8 and first / third person lately?!

I want it third person like RE2R... but of course I will buy it day 1 anyway even first person.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I've never understood the weight people place on camera perspectives. I enjoy first-person, third-person, isometric, top-down, side-scrolling, fixed camera angles... whatever works best for the game is fine with me. Boycotting a game because of its camera seems absurd.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I won't like it if it is....but i'll still play it. Hoping i can unlock a third person camera mode.
Please god be third person

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
I'd buy it day one. But I'd also buy it day 1 if it's OTS or fixed camera. I wasn't a big fan of the back half of RE7, but I'd love to see how they can improve on that formula. Fix the pacing and lack of enemy variety, and RE8 could be something special, even in first person.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Resident Evil is Resident Evil. It'll be amazing no matter the camera angle. Day 1 for me, RE7 is fantastic but they can still learn from it and improve further. I say give it another go.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I will just so long as it stays classic survival horror like 7 and RE2make and doesn't go action again however unlikely that may be. Still prefer the standard 3rd person/over the shoulder but RE7 first person grew on me and I play very very few first person games.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Didn't get RE7 for that reason. (that and the game seem more like its own entry).
If Capcom hates money they can go ahead and make RE 7 all over again.

Doomedfool

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Heck yeah. 7 is probably my second favorite RE after 4. I don't mind either 1st of 3rd person perspective. so I'm good either way.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
So many Resi threads lately, Whether it's REmake 3 or RE8, Their both miles away anyway. So why not support the series as a whole?

VR made RE7 the best gaming experience you can have, so id Ben there's day 1 for RE8 if it does the same.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I ended up skipping RE7 (maybe I'll play it one day when I see it on sale for 10
bucks, but no real interest right now) because of the perspective, so unless 8 somehow feels very different compared to 7, I'll prob skip it as well.

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Either one, first or third person is fine with me but if it's first person it HAS to be in VR again, no excuses. That's a forever thing with the franchise from now on as far as I'm concerned, it was that amazing of an experience for me.

Oct 29, 2017
Here's the thing, as someone who's loved the franchise since day 1, after resi 7 I will only buy it if it's first person and VR.

I can't even get into Resi 2 because the lack of it all :( such a waste.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
The level design and gameplay is more important to me than the camera angle. I'm a fixed camera person more than anything but I'm happy as long as the design is about exploring and surviving a small location and not globe trotting action heroes.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, especially if they continue with VR support.
I like the "regular" RE games just fine, but RE7 is just special in that regard.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The perspective doesn't matter one bit to me. The game itself will have to convince me to buy it.