• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you buy Google Stadia?

• Yes

• No

• I'll wait for Q4 2020 Next Xbox/PS5 and then i'll decide

Results are only viewable after voting.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Highly doubtful. I don't really have any interest in streaming my games. It's a neat technology, but I don't think the infrastructure is really there yet for most people to really take advantage of this.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nah. Nothing against it, but if I'm going to have to buy games I may as well download locally.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Not always. It's not a better choice when your local hardware can't play the games at Stadia's fidelity and performance. Streaming is the better choice there.

Which will be completely useless if there is any form of latency. I prefer a 1:1 experience with lower graphical quality.

TAoVG

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not always. It's not a better choice when your local hardware can't play the games at Stadia's fidelity and performance. Streaming is the better choice there.
No you can't. 1080p at max settings =/= 1080p at low/medium settings.
With everything on at max settings? What's the point if the compression/bitrate varies enough that the picture quality constantly fluctuates. If you are concerned about the difference between 4x vs 8x AA, Anisotropic Filtering, etc. being turned on or off, bitrate variance and dropped frames are REALLY going to annoy you.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact this is a google service was a problem to me in the first place, but this really falls short so far.

I genuinely expected them to hit the ground running, being first to market, with a 100% subscription based pricing, a large library, and running on a wide variety of devices at launch.
This feels like a soft launch.

Cloud gaming, as a straight replacement for owning a console, is a solution in search of a problem that just creates more problems than it solves.
This really captures most of my issues with their implementation.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I have no confidence in ancillary google products
killedbygoogle.com

Killed by Google

Killed by Google is the open source list of dead Google products, services, and devices. It serves as a tribute and memorial of beloved services and products killed by Google.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I never was in the power race. I'm only into games, not graphics or resolution.

And it happens that I began to like more and more portable playing with Nintendo and Sony handhelds.

I rarely like a system especially home consoles, i mean, they're boxes. Handheld is a bit different (having screens AND controllers with it among other details).

Anyway my story is getting too long lol.
So no next gen most certainly won't excite me. Especially with how it brings console war along.

Ahh, understandable. Ninty probably won't be doing another handheld for at least 3 more years so you have quite the wait on your hands.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cloud gaming, as a straight replacement for owning a console, is a solution in search of a problem that just creates more problems than it solves.

I think they went with the wrong business plan. It may have been a better idea to work with publishers to enable cross-buy for Stadia streaming on the go instead of trying to sell it as the one-stop-shop.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
It might as well doesn't exist, if you can only stream it. You shouldn't pay money to own something you don't own. Subscription is fair, anything else is a con job.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol yes

WtqI6RL.png

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if people will change their minds if some Stadia games will hit 4k 60hz while the PS5 counterpart doesn't.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For some of us with no interest in PS5 or the next XBox it is pretty appealing. I just wonder if enough of us exist to justify this service.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if people will change their minds if some Stadia games will hit 4k 60hz while the PS5 doesn't.

They will, because Stadia games are running on PCs. The image quality/bitrate is still going to be an issue, as well as input lag. It will depend on what people value more.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I can't answer this for everyone, but they seemed to have gotten me in their marketing strategy. I own all consoles and have a highend Laptop for PC gaming. But this is far more appealing to have than my gaming laptop. I want great visual fidelity in my games. Stadia seems to be on par with that. Majority of gamers don't have the best PC graphics card because its cost prohibitive. Stadia helps resolve that issue. Also, they did showcase games that benefit from playing anywhere. As it stands, I am currently at work wishing I was playing Destiny right now...lol. Moreover, the cost of owning a console at launch plus live or ps+ yearly fees plus buying games is more than the cost of a pro sub from Stadia.

Is it over time, though? With the life expectancy of around 7 years for a console you'd be looking at $840 for Stadia Pro, without even factoring in games. I suppose PS+ or XBL would factor in, but you also have to factor very good internet with no bandwidth caps for 4K Stadia. That might be a nonissue where you live, though.

I have to ask - if you want great visual fidelity, why does streaming appeal to you? It seems counterintuitive to me, especially when in just a few days we're going to get our first look at the next generation of consoles which will assuredly be 4K60fps. Hell, a person can own an Xbox One X today and get essentially the exact same visual quality as, say, AC Odyssey on Stadia, but without the possibility of dips in quality and no need for a constant internet connection.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If I buy the games, I prefer them to have them locally. At least the option.

And if I pay a subscription to stream games, I prefer PS Now where I have 700+ games from different consoles instead of just Destiny 2. I also prefer to have the option to download them to play them locally. If with PS5 Sony will focus more on PS Now and in BC as it seems, sounds like a bigger % of them will be playable locally and that there will be more newer games in PS Now.

Regarding next gen PSNow and xCloud, I'd ask Sony and MS to add on top of the games included in the subscription to allow me to stream the ones I purchase on retail or digitally for PS5 and XBO. And if possible the ones I bought this gen too.

Last edited:

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
Less than 10% for Stadia adopters here. We must not be the target audience for this. I voted to wait until Q4 2020.

Like many have already mentioned, I thought games would be included in a library as part of a subscription. Having to actually buy games potentially at full price (and pay subscription for 4k) isn't appealing.

If I were google I would start selling the idea to hotel chains today. That would be a nice chunk of revenue with hands-on advertising for their product.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Better example would be renting a console and buying games for it. It doesn't force you into the commitment part where you need to invest large amount of money to even get started and continue spending on the platform just because you already put a lot of money in it.
Although your purchased content will be tied to Stadia, it all depends on the content and your preference. Personally I don't replay games, I have a large collection of Steam games that I won't play ever again, so I don't see the downside of using Stadia for single-playthrough games.

Not feeling you here. If I'm done with my console I sell it including al my physical bought games. That's not a privelige you have with Google. And Steam games are probably a lot cheaper then what they cost on Stadia. There will most likely only be one store to purchase from. So no keys and stuff.

Less than 10% for Stadia adopters here. We must not be the target audience for this. I voted to wait until Q4 2020.

Like many have already mentioned, I thought games would be included in a library as part of a subscription. Having to actually buy games potentially at full price (and pay subscription for 4k) isn't appealing.

If I were google I would start selling the idea to hotel chains today. That would be a nice chunk of revenue with hands-on advertising for their product.

I've done some thinking and there is no target audience, besides a very small group that's going for the portability. But that's not gonna cut it. Sure it's nice to use if you are obsessed with 4K@60fps, but how will the latency be and the buying your games all digitally is a huge downside.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
if there's a compelling exclusive, incredible mmo, something like that i would consider. need a demo before deciding on grabbing a third party title on there.

Dingotech

Oct 25, 2017
Not right away no I won't.

- Poor pricing model IMO, I don't want to pay for another sub just to access the premium service
- Paying for a founders pack just to nab my name is a cheap move
- My internet can't even handle 720P currently, however that may change a the end of this year
- Also it's not even launching in Australia

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I thought it was a subscription to play a library of games at the click of a button.
After today where they reveal you still have to BUY the games? Theres literally no point to it for me.
I'll buy the next gen consoles for their exclusives, so I might as well buy the games I want from there as well.
Literally pointless.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not for me.
And there's too much Google in my life... Chrome, Android, Gmail, Maps, shitty Youtube with tons of alt-right vids ...
And to play what? Destiny?
Stadia is another Google +

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I'm opened minded and I'll try out the free version, but my internet is around 11 Mbps so I could only stream 720p at best with Stadia. It's really hard for me to take a hit like that when I can get better quality with PS5/Xbox Scarlett.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I have absolutely 0 interest in it, so no. My internet isn't really good enough for it anyway and I'm not fond of adding yet another subscription to a list that's steadily growing with time.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Onlive felt like the future all those years ago. But now? Stadia feels like the past.

It may end up more convenient but there are so many caveats inherent to a streaming system--especially under Google--that I can't support it fully. Chiefly bandwidth / latency, but also things like modding and just, y'know, ownership; elements that are core to my gaming experience.

As something to dabble in from time to time, sure. But as a primary gaming platform, no way. It's basically in the same camp as other gaming subscription services--too little for too much.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Is it over time, though? With the life expectancy of around 7 years for a console you'd be looking at $840 for Stadia Pro, without even factoring in games. I suppose PS+ or XBL would factor in, but you also have to factor very good internet with no bandwidth caps for 4K Stadia. That might be a nonissue where you live, though.

I have to ask - if you want great visual fidelity, why does streaming appeal to you? It seems counterintuitive to me, especially when in just a few days we're going to get our first look at the next generation of consoles which will assuredly be 4K60fps. Hell, a person can own an Xbox One X today and get essentially the exact same visual quality as, say, AC Odyssey on Stadia, but without the possibility of dips in quality and no need for a constant internet connection.

Overtime I think It'll still make sense, especially when Sony and MS will probably do half gen upgrades again like they did with the One X and PS4 Pro. I don't have issues with high end internet and no caps.

Great Visual fidelity at 4k60fps streaming is fine with me. Digital Foundry guys were thoroughly impressed with its performance. And understand this, from November of last year to March of this year Google made strides in actually improving service which were noticeable from the Beta to the time DF has their hands on. This leads me to believe that they will continue to work on this to hopefully avoid those dips in pitfalls.

Additionally, are we forgetting about the different experiences will get playing on Stadia? The Youtube and Google Assistant integration? I'm very interested to see how that develops. Also, as an aside - honestly what games are you all playing where you're not connected online?

I honestly believe this backlash against Streaming games is similar to the Blockbuster/Netflix DVD/Music CD's and Cassette Tape days even though we stream all this content today. I haven't purchased a DVD or bough a CD in a decade. But hey, that's just me.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I'll definitely try streaming to my desktop with the free version if there's a game with a good price. Why not? I'm interested in the tech behind it and $20-ish would be a low cost of entry to try it out.

As for actual subscription payments, I think XCloud and GamePass are going to offer better deals. Right now, though, it's a little tough to put this all in perspective. I'll be moving to a new city in a few months, so I have to see what the internet situation is going to be like. I have to admit, the idea of getting solid 60fps performance with little more than a solid internet connection sounds pretty damn good. We'll see how they all work in reality.

Cellsplitter

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
How can we tell if it's not out yet? I hope they got some kind of free trial for when it's released. Until then idk.

CurrY

Nov 26, 2017
Datacaps will kill this for most people here (Belgium) I think. So probably not.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I'd need to upgrade my home internet which would increase the price substantially, so it'll have to be Witcher 3 trailer levels of eye candy.

edit: also, the input lag issue is pretty key. We shall see.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
I bought the founder pack few hours after the announcement. I really want to try it. I have a PC, but it starts to struggle a bit. I only have a Nintendo console so few games in common. We're 2 gamers in my house so the founder pack with the stuff + a buddy code is good. I even preordered the wasabi controller because... it's cute...

So yes. If MHW comes on Stadia (I think it will), I'll wait for the bundle version (I hope it will come with the PC version this winter). I just hope for crossplay, I don't want to start from scratch (but I know I will if I have to xD).