• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you buy Google Stadia?

• Yes

• No

• I'll wait for Q4 2020 Next Xbox/PS5 and then i'll decide

Results are only viewable after voting.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, maybe next gen. There's nothing special about it as of now if you currently own a PC/PS4.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

I already have thousands of games across PC, Xbox, and PS4. All my games will be backwards compatible on at least 2 of those.

Game Pass gives me hundreds of games for very little money each month, and I can download ALL of them.

Wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft gives me access to more of their games on multiple devices in the near future too.

This service will push Microsoft to be better in their cloud streaming endeavors though, so its valuable in that sense alone. Google is a "better take shit seriously" type of competitor, they have that kind of clout.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Not until we can get input lag that equals or is better than physical consoles and not until ISPs have reasonable prices for the kind of bandwidth and data caps that this requires.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I don't need it. Maybe if I traveled or something sure....

Either way unless there are exclusive games... nope.

Happy with PS4/Switch/PC/Oculus

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
So in your eyes, what would Google Stadia be? If they shouldn't be marketing to the hardcore with a bunch of AAA games, what should they be marketing instead?

Middling gamer crowd who may not necessarily want to purchase a "Pro" premium console, and would additionally benefit from the portability aspect of the streaming service.

Ideally, I would have seen the presentation include or lean on a game along the lines of an Animal Crossing or a Stardew Valley. Something that appeals to all people who play games, unlike the Baldur's Gate lead. They may as well have tossed in EVE Online to round out their selection of extremely "hardcore", extremely niche games.

I really can't decide who Google is marketing this towards. People who want the best visual fidelity in their games? That's not streaming, that's a set-top box. At the very least, that crowd is going to wait for information on the next generation of consoles.

People who want to play anywhere? They didn't really showcase games that benefit from that, did they? Especially fighting games - that's a crowd that will be incredibly difficult to win over in terms of performance and lag.

Kids? Not with that Baldur's Gate opening.

This product, like so many other Google products, feels like amazing tech from engineers in California out of touch from consumers.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? You have to pay 10€ each month to be able to stream in 4K and then you actually have to buy the games you want to play. Or did I understand this completely wrong?
Oh, to stream in 4K, yes. But Stadia Base, there's no fee to buy games.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
There isn't any compelling reason for me to sign up. I'm not going to get a better experience than I what already have on my gaming PC.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Nah.

If I were newer to the market, didn't game on consoles that are also getting proper streaming solutions then maybe I would but I'm fully invested digitally on consoles and PC at this point.

I did like what I played though when I tested Assassins' Creed Oddyssey; the speed, loading, simplicity of it all was a top notch experience as far as streaming is concerned. When I went back in for my second play session it was like black magic tbh. Basically if it wasn't for the above, I'd at least consider it.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The idea of paying $12 a month on top of purchasing games is really unappealing when taking into account Google's track record with shuttering services. What happens to those games I buy when Stadia shuts down exactly?

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
With I feel like its an edge case use scenario for people who frequent video game forums?

Maybe if you don't have Switch and you're going on holiday somewhere that has great internet..?

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% disagree with streaming, so I'll be skipping Stadia.

Plus, of all the Silicon Valley giants, I trust Google the least. I think if I buy a sub from a new entrant going forward, it'll probably be Apple Arcade.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe once it's got a decent library of free games. Doesn't seem like something I need given the games are all available for hardware I own.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Still on the fence. My connection is good enough, but I have a good PC and tend to buy all the consoles so the main draw for me is the flexibility of where you can play. So at that point it kind of depends on if a game I'm interested would REALLY benefit from that. Like Warframe would be pretty good for instance. I probably will play the exclusives if they're good but who knows when we start seeing those. I also want to see how it performs in the wild.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I was interested when I was assuming it would be a netflix like service, but having to fully buy the games on top of the subscription is such a bad deal. What happens to your games when google inevitably shuts the service down? Does it all just go down the drain?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
That is a brave thing to say right before E3 and with a real PS-Experience coming down the line, probably going to be crazy stuff announced at TGS and even The Game Awards too.
I never was in the power race. I'm only into games, not graphics or resolution.

And it happens that I began to like more and more portable playing with Nintendo and Sony handhelds.

I rarely like a system especially home consoles, i mean, they're boxes. Handheld is a bit different (having screens AND controllers with it among other details).

Anyway my story is getting too long lol.
So no next gen most certainly won't excite me. Especially with how it brings console war along.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Middling gamer crowd who may not necessarily want to purchase a "Pro" premium console, and would additionally benefit from the portability aspect of the streaming service.

Ideally, I would have seen the presentation include or lean on a game along the lines of an Animal Crossing or a Stardew Valley. Something that appeals to all people who play games, unlike the Baldur's Gate lead. They may as well have tossed in EVE Online to round out their selection of extremely "hardcore", extremely niche games.

I really can't decide who Google is marketing this towards. People who want the best visual fidelity in their games? That's not streaming, that's a set-top box. At the very least, that crowd is going to wait for information on the next generation of consoles.

People who want to play anywhere? They didn't really showcase games that benefit from that, did they? Especially fighting games - that's a crowd that will be incredibly difficult to win over in terms of performance and lag.

Kids? Not with that Baldur's Gate opening.

This product, like so many other Google products, feels like amazing tech from engineers in California out of touch from consumers.

I can't answer this for everyone, but they seemed to have gotten me in their marketing strategy. I own all consoles and have a highend Laptop for PC gaming. But this is far more appealing to have than my gaming laptop. I want great visual fidelity in my games. Stadia seems to be on par with that. Majority of gamers don't have the best PC graphics card because its cost prohibitive. Stadia helps resolve that issue. Also, they did showcase games that benefit from playing anywhere. As it stands, I am currently at work wishing I was playing Destiny right now...lol. Moreover, the cost of owning a console at launch plus live or ps+ yearly fees plus buying games is more than the cost of a pro sub from Stadia.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter how good their streaming tech is. Locally-installed software is always a better choice than streamed software.

I was impressed with Project Stream when I tested it to be fair, but it's not good enough to use as a main platform.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter how good their streaming tech is. Locally-installed software is always a better choice than streamed software.

I was impressed with Project Stream when I tested it to be fair, but it's not good enough to use as a main platform.

That's the thing though if an enthusiast game like yourself even admits Project Stream was "pretty good", that's going to resonate strongly with "Joe Average" to whom "Netflix 720 pee is good enough I don't need Super Duper 4K DVD".

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Not always. It's not a better choice when your local hardware can't play the games at Stadia's fidelity and performance. Streaming is the better choice there.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I'll probably try it out when it's free. I'm also interested to hear how the controller build quality is since I'm not 100% satisfied with any of the options out there right now. Data caps limit how much I can use the service and increased input latency limit what genres I will consider playing on stadia, so sparing use is the most I can see myself using this. Maybe on some RPGs that I will want to have access to outside of my house for example.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Paying a sub to purchase games that I can only play on and if it fails, likely lose?
Nawh.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not always. It's not a better choice when your local hardware can't play the games at Stadia's fidelity and performance. Streaming is the better choice there.

Until your internet or Google's servers go down.

And contrary to what they're claiming, there is some (mild yet noticeable) input lag - at least there was during testing.

TAoVG

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
USA

Fidelity and performance? The VAST majority of the base will be 720-1080p/60/stereo. You can do that today on virtually every modern console and mobile phone. For 4K/HDR/5.1? If you have the bandwidth to handle it, if their servers are not saturated, if your family doesn't crush your connection when they come home and fire up Netflix, Spotify, etc. Never mind the fact that and end-run IP address for your controller means that Stadia is now managing 2 separate pathways for control/display per user. Load balancing, moving to common nodes, etc. is not trivial.

Streaming is not, at this point, the better choice.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Fidelity and performance? The VAST majority of the base will be 720-1080p/60/stereo. You can do that today on virtually every modern console and mobile phone. For 4K/HDR/5.1? If you have the bandwidth to handle it, if their servers are not saturated, if your family doesn't crush your connection when they come home and fire up Netflix, Spotify, etc. Never mind the fact that and end-run IP address for your controller means that Stadia is now managing 2 separate pathways for control/display per user. Load balancing, moving to common nodes, etc. is not trivial.

Streaming is not, at this point, the better choice.

No you can't. 1080p at max settings =/= 1080p at low/medium settings.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
wonder what they'll do to subscribers that buy games after they inevitably stop supporting it like google normally does with things

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Based on what they've shown? No. But I wouldn't rule it out if they can make some good exclusive games.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Part of it is. The other part is that you need to buy your content. Imagine having an HBO sub and need to purchase Game of Thrones. So yeah, that's why not.
Better example would be renting a console and buying games for it. It doesn't force you into the commitment part where you need to invest large amount of money to even get started and continue spending on the platform just because you already put a lot of money in it.
Although your purchased content will be tied to Stadia, it all depends on the content and your preference. Personally I don't replay games, I have a large collection of Steam games that I won't play ever again, so I don't see the downside of using Stadia for single-playthrough games.