• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you buy Google Stadia?

• Yes

• No

• I'll wait for Q4 2020 Next Xbox/PS5 and then i'll decide

Results are only viewable after voting.

goddamnimglam

Oct 27, 2017
If I can trade in the amount of money they gained from harvesting my data, maybe, otherwise nope unless it's a dopey tie in for a 3 month google play trial in 2021.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
You don't have to pay the $10 if you just want to buy games. The $10 just goes towards having 4K & all of Destiny 2, including expansions you would have to pay for. You do not have to pay $10 just to buy games.

You have to pay monthly if you want quality that potentially matches consoles, especially the upcoming ones.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That aspect launches next year and is capped at 1080p.

The exciting part was having powerful hardware you didn't have to buy. Why are you going to buy games that are capped at that rate when everyone should have Hw that can hit that marker. It seems to only make sense if you are trying for 4K as you didn't have to buy the HW.
So you acknowledge that you can buy without getting a sub? So just wait if you're not interested in Stadia Pro.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Heavily interested. Having to buy games individually on top of subscription for 4K60 is rough, but the idea of playing 4K60 on any device is extremely appealing.
I thought this too, but the more I evaluated my actual use cases, I realised that the only display I have that supports 4K/HDR is my main TV in the lounge. And that already has a console attached to it that can output 4K and HDR.

So from that point of view, Stadia only really becomes worth it for me if I can play games on it that I can't play on the PS4 or PS5 (like Baldur's Gate 3, although I definitely see that coming to regular consoles a year after release, like other Larian games), and the cross-screen hand-off works really smoothly for when I might want to play my games while I'm travelling... to hotels with bad WiFi...

Hmmmmm. There's a caveat everywhere I turn with this thing.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given Google's track record for dropping services, and the fact that your purchases are locked behind their willingness to continue to provide a service, I can't see how anyone would want to commit to this option when buying their games tbh.

The premium subscription with access to games without purchase would be more appealing if there was more on it.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Not yet, I don't feel like I'm the target crowd. It won't replace the Sony or Nintendo consoles I'll always buy so unless they throw around some money and get some must haves it'll be a pass. I'll definitely try out the free version when it hits though assuming someone will make an extension for it to work with a Dualshock or Pro controller.

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already owns 2 Chromecast Ultra, not gonna shill out $69 dollars for a controller......let me use my Dualshock 4 and we'll talk...

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
What people are forgetting is that if you want the low latency the Stadia's controller will have its own wifi to help with that. I love being able to use any controller I want but if they don't do wifi the latency might be a pain in the ass.

I like the idea of having my chrome-cast plugged into my TV and then simply unplug it and plug it back into another TV. I hope it works as advertised because if I can get 4K60FPS consistently it'll be a game changer for me. I don't play PC games so this would hopefully be a window into that.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Already did lol.

swwyzjen.jpg
Did you notice if you were charged yet or does it not charge until it ships?

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
I thought this too, but the more I evaluated my actual use cases, I realised that the only display I have that supports 4K/HDR is my main TV in the lounge. And that already has a console attached to it that can output 4K and HDR.

So from that point of view, Stadia only really becomes worth it for me if I can play games on it that I can't play on the PS4 or PS5 (like Baldur's Gate 3, although I definitely see that coming to regular consoles a year after release, like other Larian games), and the cross-screen hand-off works really smoothly for when I might want to play my games while I'm travelling... to hotels with bad WiFi...

Hmmmmm. There's a caveat everywhere I turn with this thing.
Yeah, the 4K part was mainly for my TV. And maybe my iPad Pro too.

My main interest, though, is 60 frames for all games without having to worry about specs. It's nice that a premium gaming experience will be more mainstream now, with no knowledge of graphics cards or settings required. Not even my 4K-capable consoles guarantee me that.

TAoVG

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've pre-ordered - will be a bit of fun.

A few people have said "No - I have a PC" which is fine...but seems to miss the point of streaming to multiple devices when travelling etc.

Stadia won't be relevant for tons of people...but simply owning a PC doesn't make it irrelevant.
Traveling where? Hotels? Nope. Playing on a mobile device on a train or plane? Nope. Public wifi? Nope. 4G LTE? Nope.

Remember that the bitrates quoted are for the dedicated stream, not for your entire home connection. Which is to say that if you have a 50mbit service to the home, 35mbit needs to be dedicated to your Stadia stream. Have people in the house fire up Netflix, have a Ring camera go off, etc.

Not to mention that the vast majority of people playing will fall into the 1080p/stereo crowd. How will that constantly fluctuating stream on a 4K tv look? Cloud gaming, as a straight replacement for owning a console, is a solution in search of a problem that just creates more problems than it solves.

Yeah, the 4K part was mainly for my TV. And maybe my iPad Pro too.

My main interest, though, is 60 frames for all games without having to worry about specs. It's nice that a premium gaming experience will be more mainstream now, with no knowledge of graphics cards or settings required. Not even my 4K-capable consoles guarantee me that.
60fps at widely varying bitrates? What's the point? Would you rather use the bandwidth to have 30fps but more consistent image quality? The problem with cloud streaming games, with ALL services, is that it is so deeply dependent on things the provider can't control.

Oh, and what happens when the service is at capacity? You are literally waiting in a queue to play a game that you may have paid for. If Netflix operated this way, would you use it?

Last edited:

GreatBritton

Oct 29, 2017
I bought the founders pack, it wasn't expensive. For my money it's worth dropping that little of money to see the experiment.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nope. I will probably use xCloud as I am deep into the Xbox Ecosystem and that way I can play all my already owned games. My backlog is too large anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
If the question is, are you going to sign up for the 4K option? Nah. No need for that. But I'll definitely give the free tier a try. Why wouldn't I? If there's a game that a good deal for the service I'll buy it there.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's nice that a premium gaming experience will be more mainstream now, with no knowledge of graphics cards or settings required.
That's a side of this whole thing I hadn't actually thought about.

People often bemoan the lack of knowledge and interest your average consumer has in resolution, framerate, calibrated displays and so on. Until now I've always figured the way around that was to make things more intuitive or somehow convince people to care. With a service like Stadia, though, you can automate a lot of it so people get a fairly accurate experience without any manual intervention.

The ideal would be some sort of standardised channel for setting display parameters remotely, which would lend itself really well to a streaming service. Absolutely pipe dream for the time being, of course.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I mean... 1080p does match the quality of consoles today, but if you want 4K all the time, yes, you'll have to pay.

Some consoles today, maybe. In just a few days that will be the old generation of consoles, though.

Google's marketing for this is odd. They want to capture the "hardcore gamers", clearly, but Microsoft is about to make the free 1080p version ancient in a few days with a new console announcement for 2020.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Preordered, it's not that expensive and i'm intrigued by the idea of having high end PC caliber graphics in a cheap portable format

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Some consoles today, maybe. In just a few days that will be the old generation of consoles, though.

Google's marketing for this is odd. They want to capture the "hardcore gamers", clearly, but Microsoft is about to make the free 1080p version ancient in a few days with a new console announcement for 2020.
So in your eyes, what would Google Stadia be? If they shouldn't be marketing to the hardcore with a bunch of AAA games, what should they be marketing instead?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Nope I'm way too sensitive to compression artifacts and input latency to ever enjoy the service.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So in your eyes, what would Google Stadia be? If they shouldn't be marketing to the hardcore with a bunch of AAA games, what should they be marketing instead?

Yeah I agree. Apple is already doing the "casual ala cart gaming service" thing anyway. Google's target is more or less the right one.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
That's a side of this whole thing I hadn't actually thought about.

People often bemoan the lack of knowledge and interest your average consumer has in resolution, framerate, calibrated displays and so on. Until now I've always figured the way around that was to make things more intuitive or somehow convince people to care. With a service like Stadia, though, you can automate a lot of it so people get a fairly accurate experience without any manual intervention.
Exactly.

I can't roll my eyes enough whenever I hear people saying 'Consumers don't care about framerate/resolution' etc. Of course they do. Many just don't care for all the technical work required to get it consistently right now (aka PC gaming).

Stadia seems to solve all that. I can only imagine the face of someone who's been playing Assassin's Creed on console since 2007 will feel once they start playing it at 4K/60 on a plug & play Stadia. Might be hard to go back.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
I will try it, but the idea that I will buy a game and then have the service shut down and then I'm out the money doesn't sound good to me. With most digital purchases I can at least download it and keep it for as long as I have the device. If I could buy a game and import it that might be different. But personally, I will just stick with physical hardware.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
60fps at widely varying bitrates? What's the point? Would you rather use the bandwidth to have 30fps but more consistent image quality? The problem with cloud streaming games, with ALL services, is that it is so deeply dependent on things the provider can't control.

Oh, and what happens when the service is at capacity? You are literally waiting in a queue to play a game that you may have paid for. If Netflix operated this way, would you use it?
For that question, no I absolutely would not. I respect that Stadia seems to be making 60fps the baseline. Most consumers won't notice any upgrade Stadia has over consoles if it's just running at the same 30fps they already have.

And yes, I understand there will be some growing pains. For me, the potential benefits outweigh them.

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it works well enough I could easily see myself never buying a console or PC again. That said, I'll need to try it first, in my own set up. I'm happy to spend £10 to try it one month.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Traveling where? Hotels? Nope. Playing on a mobile device on a train or plane? Nope. Public wifi? Nope. 4G LTE? Nope.

Remember that the bitrates quoted are for the dedicated stream, not for your entire home connection. Which is to say that if you have a 50mbit service to the home, 35mbit needs to be dedicated to your Stadia stream. Have people in the house fire up Netflix, have a Ring camera go off, etc.

Not to mention that the vast majority of people playing will fall into the 1080p/stereo crowd. How will that constantly fluctuating stream on a 4K tv look? Cloud gaming, as a straight replacement for owning a console, is a solution in search of a problem that just creates more problems than it solves.

I know...but it will be fun to try. Theres also a slight chance I'll get to register myself as MajorNelson....which will be funny.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
No, I like the idea, and playing Assassin's Creed on my crappy work PC over a browser on my lunch break was pretty special, but my Xbox library is so large and Gamepass is so good that I am much more interested in Xcloud honestly.

Mashdyno

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
If it did 4K without the monthly sub I would consider it for certain games. Im already paying for PS+ and Gamepass, I dont really want to pay another monthly sub for games.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Great post that dives in on the issue overall. Streaming can be a supplement service but not the only service.

People need to read the full post. This will really only work if you are at home with minimal competition for your bandwidth. Traveling won't work and large houses will struggle.

I can't even get websites to load when I travel.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Nope.

I already have thousands of games across PC, Xbox, and PS4. All my games will be backwards compatible on at least 2 of those.

Game Pass (EA Access) gives me hundreds of games for very little money each month, and I can download ALL of them.

Wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft gives me access to more of their games on multiple devices in the near future too.