• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you be returning to cinema like before?

• Yes. If a movie is out that I want to see, I'll go.

Votes: 542 63.0%
  • Maybe, thinking about it, will maybe be back to normal in 6-12 months.

Votes: 128 14.9%
  • Unlikely. Not worth the risk, and movies are coming to streaming services very fast anyway.

Votes: 116 13.5%
  • Probably never going to a cinema again.

Votes: 74 8.6%

• Total voters

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'll return to cinemas with the exact same frequency I had pre-COVID, and already have. Continuing my track of "Not going to see a movie inside one since 2018".

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My plan is to see Black Widow at whatever is the slowest/least busy time I can, then maybe see Green Knight later in the summer. I imagine we'll have a better sense of things by November/December so if the winter doesn't cause any kind of serious boost in cases I'll be back to see 2-4 movies a month by Xmas.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I just went to the cinema the other day. Had to book seats, total seat numbers were limited to keep groups separate by quite a bit, with masks required when walking about and all that. I felt very safe. So no issues at all going again.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Fully vaccinated and living in the Seattle area means yes, I will be seeing movies in the theaters again starting with Black Widow and Fast 9.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, never enjoyed the theater experience, I will just continue to watch stuff in my home.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
At some point. I barely went to the theater anyway, so it's not like my frequency is going to change much. Pretty much only went for Marvel and the big action movies to begin with.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the last 10 years, I would only go to theaters once a year at a near empty matinee while on vacation. I'll probably continue that practice.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I've been going to the drive in with my wife. It's not imax quality or anything, but it's still fun for date nights. If there are more new movies coming to drive in's we'll just keep on hitting those for a while.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Love going to IFC Center, Film Forum, Metrograph, etc. in NYC for older films, indies, and internationals. Will keep going and have been going for a few months.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I already did. But with movies releasing alongside digital nowadays I usually just pay the premium and watch it at home.

If it fully becomes the norm I'll never go to the theaters again unless I felt like going for the novelty of it.

May 31, 2018
I've been going back at least once a week to check out films since I subscribed to AMC A list.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I only went a handful of times a year and when the theater was going to be mostly empty on showings in the afternoon or later at night Tuesdays with $5 tickets.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I went back for Tenet, and started going back for any interesting new release around the time Godzilla v Kong came out. I've been a dozen times since, and I'm back tomorrow for F9. A-List has been serving me well.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I wont say never but I averaged 1 movie a year and the last couple so called blockbusters have been horrible. Dont see myself going to anything this year for sure.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Yes, but not as much as I used to. When I lived in America, I was part of AMC's A-list. So I would go to the movies one or two times a week. I was spending quite a bit eating at the theater, but it was worth it as an enjoyable experience that my whole family enjoyed.

At the beginning of COVID, I bought an upper mid-range home projector because I missed the experience of going to the movies so much. I also thought I could save money in a way too.

After a year of having my own home theater, I have to say that I really love it, and for me, it recreates a lot of the experience that I enjoy at the theater. So many plusses too with that I can eat whatever I want, drink as much as I want, and pause the movie. However, I still think that I will be heading to the movies in the future when the big blockbusters start coming out again. I'm a huge fan of IMAX, so I think I will still go for the spectacle in the future, but for smaller movies that don't benefit so much from the IMAX experience, I will watch them at home. The only variable that might make me go to the theater more is if same-day releases for movies stop. Of course, it seems like it will for big movies, but it remains to be seen what will happen with smaller films. Shorter home release gaps would be great in lieu of day one releases stopping.

This is all without mentioning that I dislike the movie going experience in Japan compared to America.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I rarely ever went before the pandemic. All my friends live in other cities, and I never got into the habit of going by myself.

I also rarely find the time and attention span to watch movies, so I'm usually pretty content to wait until something is available for streaming.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Never again for my individual curiosity and pleasure.

... but if the movie is something a lot of my friends want to see (which is one of the few activities I can manage to schedule among my friend groups), then yes, absolutely.

But just going to see movies at the theater on a whim out of my own curiosity by myself or with just my partner? That's going to be a thing of the past -- I'll only indulge that curiosity at home when the movie is available for digital rent, purchase, or through one of my streaming subscriptions.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2020 really brought into focus how much I don't care about seeing anything in a theater anymore. I'd take a rental (on the same day) over it almost every time.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Because my state in Australia hasn't really been affected by Covid, I've still been going like once a week (with the exception of the first few months and two interruptions caused by quarantine leaks). Obviously not much has released, but there's one good cinema that's taken the opportunity to run a lot of classics.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I only go to the movies for Marvel movies, probably going to see Widow at home if Friends don't feel safe yet so depends on Them and by the time the next one hits, everyone is vaccinatated anyways

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I've already gone twice once my province allowed it a week ago. Can't really match that experience at home in my condo. Godzilla and MK just has to be seen in a theatre.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
ofcourse. Yes the people talking or worse are on the phone with the screen lighting up the room are super annoying but there is nothing better than watching a blockbuster movie on the big screen. My theater is super empty after a week of release anyway so its like the theater is mine hahaha

even on the weekend of Endgame my room had like 20 people . it fits like 100 or so.

I get my second covid shot next tuesday so iam good.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see that Get Back/ Beatles thingy from Peter Jackson in Dolby Atmos.
6 hours of bliss on my home Theater. Not sure how long the theatrical version will be. Because i will watch it in cinema if possible.

Nov 5, 2017
I did last Friday to take my stepson to see Peter Rabbit 2. Ordered tickets online. There was only 5 other people in the theater along with us two and my wife. That was fine for me but don't know I'll feel with more people since my stepson wants to see the new F&F as well.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Eventually. I want to see Top Gun 2 at the cinema, and MCU movies are just not the same at home, so.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I didn't really like going to movie theatres before the pandemic (wasn't always the case). I got tired of other people in movie theatres. Now going to a Broadway show or a play, that's different I would do that again.

Mrs. McKnight will likely want to go see a movie, and I am sure little McKnight will want me to take him to at least see part of a kids movie (he can't do whole movies, he gets way too excited and wants me to take him home).

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to go again sometime. But Covid or not, my experiences with theaters have been miserable the last few times I've dared to watch a movie there.
Bad picture quality (couldn't see shit on the last fantastic beasts movie for instance), noisy idiots talking on their phone, idiots illuminating the whole theater with their cellphones' screens, idiots kicking the back of my seat, kids yelling, bad sound, incredibly high prices (getting popcorn is now more expensive than the ticket for the movie itself). Theaters now are a source of anxiety more than anything, I always end up mad about something.

If they somehow managed to fix these issues, I'd like to go again, but since they don't seem to give a fuck I can't really care about them either and I'd rather watch the movies at home because I'm lucky enough to own a good home theater and tv.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe next year after my kids can be vaccinated, but even then we only went to the movies maybe 1-2 times a year so it haven't really been a loss to us. Nothing about sitting in a crowd of people being annoying and distracting you from what you paid to watch was that enticing, the watch at home model is much better.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been in a theater since about 2003. I'm good, I don't like the experience at all.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Eventually, but I'm in no rush. I probably wouldn't go to the movies if it weren't for my wife, and even then we didn't go often. There's nothing coming out that I'm aware of that particularly interests us.