• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you be returning to cinema like before?

• Yes. If a movie is out that I want to see, I'll go.

Votes: 542 63.0%
  • Maybe, thinking about it, will maybe be back to normal in 6-12 months.

Votes: 128 14.9%
  • Unlikely. Not worth the risk, and movies are coming to streaming services very fast anyway.

Votes: 116 13.5%
  • Probably never going to a cinema again.

Votes: 74 8.6%

• Total voters

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I rarely went to theaters to begin with precovid so likely not

I rather wait and plus I rather stream from home to be honest

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I only really watched big releases in theaters so yeah I'll go back to that. Not really seeing any reason not to or to be worried/afraid.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Yes, but with the caveat that I rarely went to the cinema to begin with and usually at times where I was practically the only person in a given showing anyhow.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I made plans to go and see Black Widow and I'm definitely gonna go see Spider-Man 3. I'll be responsible about it of course, while still vaccinated wear a mask

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I don't go to the movies that often, but I've seen a few things this month and the theaters by me were entirely empty

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Yes. And I actually went to the movies for the first time last week to catch A Quiet Place 2. It was a smaller-ish theater that wasn't very crowded and there was no one in the seats directly next to me and I felt fine. Opening nights in huge theaters for a sold out blockbuster I'm not sure I'm ready for yet though.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I went to my first movie in a theater for the first time in over 15 months this last Sunday for Father's Day. Despite me having a projector with a 110" screen with surround sound at home and knowing that I love the theater experience, I really didn't grasp how much I missed it until I sat down in one this last Sunday. Granted, we had the theater to ourselves since my wife rented out the whole place for a private viewing but it was still surreal to sit down in one again and I missed it a ton. I'll definitely be going back regularly once things settle down and our kids can be vaccinated.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, yeah. It's fun to grab a beer with some friends, shoot the shit and go see a flick. If anything drive ins I really wish would make a comeback sooner rather than later.

Granted, the only movies I'm excited for is Jurassic World Dominion and maybe Dune, but we'll see what the rest of the film slate looks like in the coming months.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine rented out a theater for the fast and furious release next week.

it was $250, for a private screening with people I trust. That is the only way I will go to a theater right now.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I will say is that I can get people staying at home if you have a good media setup. Having OLED at home has ruined cinema screens for me. Still love the audio in theatres but everything looks dull and washed out in the cinema outside of Dolby theatres (and I don't have one nearby). Watched In the Heights on Monday then got home and fired up the Dolby Vision HBO max version - just stunning and the SDR theatre image does not do the film justice. This bright scenes on the beach at the start look amazing in DV

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Not yet. Going to wait out to see how the Delta variant of Covid plays out.

Only movie planned to see in threaters so far is Black Widow and I plan on wearing my mask in the theater, despite the restrictions lifted in my state.

GalaxyPixel

Jun 21, 2021
In my mind nothing replaces the cinema experience. Since this all started I have missed it dearly. I'll probably still wear a mask despite being vaccinated but I will go for sure.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Never going back. Though I had slowly stopped going even before. Last movie I actually saw in the theatre was Star Wars The Force Awakens.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I never really stopped going aside from that period of time when all movie theaters were closed. Once our local Alamo Drafthouse opened back up with safety precautions, we started going back.

DMPinheiro

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I don't think so. I really liked going to the cinema before. But staying at home all this time showed me that it really didn't affect me that much.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
I had been going every week with my son before Covid and we just started going again. So yes.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, with AMC A List, it doesn't make sense to watch movies at home. I think I have a movie every week until the end of the summer. It's gonna be packed.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
No the setup I made in my house during Covid is a way better experience than a theater.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I've actually been wanting to go for a few weeks to see A Quiet Place II... the problem is, my schedule works best for me to go during matinees and the theaters aren't showing anything before like 1pm yet. So yeah that's a no go for me. Normaly at this time of year I'd easily be able to go at 9am or 10am.

Also, matinees would be less busy. Theaters are already experiencing lower attendance, but during the matinee period it would be even less so, so I'd feel even more comfortable. So I might just wait for those to kick back in... unless I decide to see Black Widow before that happens.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Cinema's opened two weeks ago here. I already been to 5 films since :') It is good to be back, and I'm glad that for what I could see audiences do find their way back too. (They are open with a lower capacity here, but the days I went at the evening showing they seemed sold out at that capacity)

Cinema is my biggest hobby, and I'm a firm believer that the best way to experience a film is on the silver screen. Not being able to go to the cinema was probably the hardest part of the whole pandemic for me.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be going more if there was more out right now I wanted to see. I have no issues with the theater but who wants to see fucking black widow or in the heights or fast 9 or whatever

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Already saw In the Heights a couple days ago and I have my ticket for F9 on Saturday.

edit: ^ ayyy lmao

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I already only went to the movies a small handful of times in a year. I could see myself returning to that eventually, but it'll be a few months yet.

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
As soon as I can.

Movie theatres with limited capacity and social distancing is a dream come true.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I've already gone 3 times (The Killing of Two Lovers, Conjuring 3, and a repertory screening of Goodbye, Dragon Inn to celebrate theaters reopening) and will go many more times this year. Hell, might see Quiet Place 2 tonight and Censor this weekend.

I get not feeling an urge to catch the major releases with small theatrical windows. I sub to HBOMax so I'm sure there are films I'll skip in theaters because I can watch them at home. But for anything even slightly removed from the mainline machine, theaters are way better. See it sooner, in a better communal environment without streaming buffering and changing picture quality, for close to the same price as an Amazon or Google rental.

That goes double for repertory screenings. Like, yeah, I probably could've tracked down a DVD of Goodbye, Dragon Inn and watched it at home. But seeing it on 35mm with an audience was the point.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a AQP2 in theaters a few weeks ago, will see Fast and Furious 9 in theaters. I'll go back to pre MoviePass days, when I would go 4-5x a year to spectacle movies, usually matinee afternoon. MoviePass, then AMC A-List, got me going basically once a week but honestly I was seeing mostly crap.

Unless they churn out far better movies, which is extremely unlikely, I still prefer watching stuff at home on my OLED TV with 5.1 sound system eating snackies I like, pausing the movie whenever I want, or even breaking up a movie into 2 or 3 night affairs.

TV shows have far, far, far surpassed movies for me in quality entertainment for a while now. I'd rank my preferences as

video games
TV shows
live concerts, live comedy
movies
documentaries
musicals, live theater performances, etc

as far as entertainment.

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
Parter and I are back on A-List and back at the movies 2-3 times a week.

life is good again, friends

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I used to go every other week, I dont see that happening again but I'll still go to see the big tentpole releases.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be there opening night for MCU and Star Wars, with maybe 2-3 random others in a given year. So exactly the same as before, yeah.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
even pre-Covid I never cared for it much and only went like once or twice a year

i'll probably fall back into that pattern sure

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
definitely, i love movies, but i am not your average movie goer. I built my own home theater and will still go to the movies anyway.

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I saw Nobody a month back and I am eagerly anticipating watching Top Gun Maverick on the biggest screen with the loudest sound system I can find and any other big movies that would benefit from the spectacle.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I'm back! Seen a couple of duds. Just waiting for decent movies to return to go a couple times a month.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
We went for the first time since it reopened on Saturday to see In the Heights. I missed theaters. Letting my A-List subscription start up again and I'm going to start going regularly again.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I only ever saw two or three movies a year before, I'll probably go back to that sure. There's nothing "pandemic" making me not go at this point, I'm all vaxxed, I feel safe. And I like seein a flick and eatin dat corn. But only from time to time. Especially now that I've got a home theater that's probably a better experience than most actual theaters.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Haven't gone yet since nothing has come out that I want to see, but I think I'll be comfortable with it since I'm usually not going to opening night screenings with big crowds anyway.

I guess unless we happen to learn that a theater outbreak occurred somewhere.

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
Movie theaters are still closed in Ontario, so its not going to be an option at least for a few more weeks.

That said, even pre-covid, we were only seeing 1 or 2 movies a year in the theater, and we would usually go Sunday mornings. The theater would be empty even back then, so I suspect it will be the same post covid. If thats still the case, we will start going to see that 1 or 2 movies a year again :D