• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I accept at a conceptual level I will die some day. But I will not welcome it, nor embrace it. I'll fight to live till I, well, die.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The way I feel recently, I will welcome it.

This is not a cry for help, there's no risk of me doing anything stupid

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We still don't understand the nature of existence so how can we say we understand the nature of non-existence?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Not much I can do about it.

My plan it to just leave an impact on those around me as much as possible so I'm not forgotten too quickly lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure we're fairly close to achieving medical immortality and/or cyborg bodies that'll extend our lives by decades.
It's too bad that it'll come just a few years after all of us here die of old age.
I didn't want eternal life anyway.
Though 10,000 years would be nice.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
100% certain there's an afterlife and I'm not really a good person but there's always hope. I know plenty of genuinely good people so I'm hopeful for their fates and that brings a lot of comfort.

Cinco

Oct 27, 2017
My wife passed away from cancer in Sept. I was able to be with her during her final week in hospice and I still feel the guilt of "giving her permission" to go during the night when she passed in the morning. We will all go at some point. She lived an incredible life and stuffed more into her short 37 years than anyone I've ever known. She lived everyday, was thankful for everything, and was loved and cherished. She was at peace with it. That's how I'd like to think my end will be. At peace knowing I'll see her again in the afterlife. We have a date on a beach to keep and I don't intend on missing it no matter how long it takes me to get there.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've come to terms with it. One day I won't exist, and eventually the universe will die too.
With all the fuel in the universe exhausted, THE STARS WILL DIE and in time every.remaining.object will be absorbed by a black hole, a DEAD, FROZEN empty universe.....OR,
Conversely, one made of NOTHING BUT FIRE, all memories of any person who ever lived, entire civilizations, all erased, all advancements and achievements rendered moot AS IT ALL BURNS UNTIL THERE IS NOTHING LEFT TO CONSUME. Existence as we know it eradicated for eternity.
But anyways, sleep tight everyone.
This. Even if we achieve the cure to death, survive as a civilisation till the end, the universe is still going to die. So why get hung up about it.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
If I were given a choice, I'd like to see the story of humanity.

Not necessarily to live forever, but what bothers me about dying is that I'd like to see where this story goes.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Congratulations on the commencement of your existential crisis, right on time in your early thirties. You'll struggling with it for 5-10 years or so then find some sort of peace with your mortality.

You have different ways to handle it.

You can fast track it.
- by reading the right books/philosophy... Camus, Satre, Hesse
- watch the Big Lebowski 1000 times and try and fully become the Dude.
- LSD, psilocybin, ayahuasca, DMT

Or you can use a cheat code...
-
organised religion
I'm 32, when do the books and drugs start working?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Congratulations on the commencement of your existential crisis, right on time in your early thirties. You'll struggling with it for 5-10 years or so then find some sort of peace with your mortality.

You have different ways to handle it.

You can fast track it.
- by reading the right books/philosophy... Camus, Satre, Hesse

Heh, I got a copy of Camus' "The Rebel" for Christmas, almost exactly for this purpose. I read the Tao Te Ching last year and am trying to find peace, but peace in a more atheistic sense.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I was with my grandpa the day he died and he was laughing and joking. He knew he was gonna go soon and really didn't seem phased. It really left a strong impression on me.

Oct 31, 2017
Yes I had cancer when I was younger so when I pissed blood a few months back i immediately thought my tumors came back and I was going to die .wasnt bummed out, I just accepted it.it ended up being a kidney stone though lol

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
People don't accept death because it is the end of everything you know. Your saga, family, friends, and everything is just gone in an instant. Yet, everything has to come to an end; it is just part of a cycle. Things end so new things can begin. Stars die in order to create others, trees die in order to give root to more trees, and etc. Humans are no different; we get old and die so that way new people can take our place to continue our journey. Even the Universe will "die" at some point. It is also theorized that the Big Bang started from other Universes or even from a black hole. As I mentioned this whole thing is probably just a cycle that is stuck on an infinite loop. How it all started would be interesting to know considering you would have to solve the problem of infinite regression.

People are afraid of death because of their ego and also not knowing what is on the other side. It could be the void, it could be an afterlife, or it could be something that we cannot even comprehend currently. I consider myself to be agnostic. I grew up Christian, went through a period of not giving a fuck either way, then I got into Buddhism which turned me atheist and now I'm at agnostic. If there is an afterlife, I do not believe it is anything that religions teach. The concepts of heaven and hell are rather childish and absurd to be frank. Furthermore, an eternity in heaven sounds just as bad as hell. You will spend an eternity singing praises and worshiping god. If that's the case, God is a megalomaniac and it can go fuck itself.

Death is not something that should be feared or seen as bad. It is a unique experience that only happens to you once. Personally, I welcome death. Not in the sense that I'm actively pursuing it, but when the reaper comes I won't fight against the dying light. Death will either be the end or just the beginning.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
LOL yup. Spectator Mode would be dope, I am curious as to where this is all headed too.

LMAOOO same here, I just wanna see how it all ends up. Fucking sucks I'll be gone before that

People don't accept death because it is the end of everything you know. Your saga, family, friends, and everything is just gone in an instant. Yet, everything has to come to an end; it is just part of a cycle. Things end so new things can begin. Stars die in order to create others, trees die in order to give root to more trees, and etc. Humans are no different; we get old and die so that way new people can take our place to continue our journey. Even the Universe will "die" at some point. It is also theorized that the Big Bang started from other Universes or even from a black hole. As I mentioned this whole thing is probably just a cycle that is stuck on an infinite loop. How it all started would be interesting to know considering you would have to solve the problem of infinite regression.

People are afraid of death because of their ego and also not knowing what is on the other side. It could be the void, it could be an afterlife, or it could be something that we cannot even comprehend currently. I consider myself to be agnostic. I grew up Christian, went through a period of not giving a fuck either way, then I got into Buddhism which turned me atheist and now I'm at agnostic. If there is an afterlife, I do not believe it is anything that religions teach. The concepts of heaven and hell are rather childish and absurd to be frank. Furthermore, an eternity in heaven sounds just as bad as hell. You will spend an eternity singing praises and worshiping god. If that's the case, God is a megalomaniac and it can go fuck itself.

Death is not something that should be feared or seen as bad. It is a unique experience that only happens to you once. Personally, I welcome death. Not in the sense that I'm actively pursuing it, but when the reaper comes I won't fight against the dying light. Death will either be the end or just the beginning.

I also relate heavily to your last part. I read into Buddhism, now identity as agnostic like yourself. Heaven being singing sounds boring, and watching the good place made me realize a finality adds a certain purpose to life. I dunno. I hope afterlife is just beyond our comprehension

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

I would rather eat heavinly and go around naked then be stringed up to burning iron being tortured :D

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i much rather check out before i start seeing what little family i have left going before me.

Discontent

May 25, 2018

Heaven is literally whatever you desire for eternity. If someone wants to praise God for eternity theres nothing wrong with that. We all long to worship (by worship I mean devote all our love, praise time and effort etc towards) something, be it ourselves, entertainers, lovers etc whereas God is the only one that deserves your worship. Megalomania i.e an obsessive desire for power has nothing to do with it, God already has complete power.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Honestly, probably not. I may "accept" it in the sense that it's an inevitability that will occur regardless of what I do. However, unless I have some sort of debilitating illness that makes me desire the release of death, I think I'll always have something in life that I'm looking forward to whether I'm 25, 50, 80, or 100-years old.

Nov 18, 2020
"On one occasion the Buddha asked several of the monks, "How often do you contemplate death?"
One of them replied, "Lord, I contemplate death every day."
"Not good enough," the Buddha said, and asked another monk, who replied,
"Lord, I contemplate death with each mouthful that I eat during the meal."
"Better, but not good enough," said the Buddha, "What about you?"
The third monk said, "Lord, I contemplate death with each inhalation and each exhalation.""

I think it's very important to regularly think about death, contemplate it, and reflect on it. Death comprises the infinite majority of your experience. You are dead, and then you are a human for 80-ish years, and then you are dead again. For all of existence---countless billions of years---you are a human for an infinitesimally tiny blip of it.

Death is one of the great uniters. Every living being, not only human, not only animal, but in every plane, in every realm, everywhere there is Death. No matter who you are, how successful you were as a human, you too will die.

Western culture is very far removed from the concept of death. Dead bodies are immediately taken away from you, or people die out of sight. People die in hospitals and nursing homes; bodies are immediately taken to funeral parlors; bodies are promptly sealed up and cremated / buried. Death is seen as creepy and associated with horror elements like ghosts and skeletons. We have an innate nature to avoid and and mourn and fear death instead of coming to terms with it.

I am ready to die personally. I think the idea of death is fascinating and I feel much better when armed with the knowledge that I will die soon. I feel like I can live my life more fully with more joy, gratitude, and appreciation for the present moment by regularly contemplating my death. I also can't wait to experience the afterlife, however it manifests.

Last edited:

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. But, I also intend to take death on my own terms. Legalisation of assisted dying for terminal illnesses is likely to happen in a few months where I live, and before that, I already had plans to travel to a place where it was legal should my cancer ever reach terminal, or to commit suicide at an appropriate time.

I don't fear death. You just stop existing, there's nothing -to- fear. I do fear the pain, the suffering, the sickness and the loss of control in the process of dying slowly.

DarkCronos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perugia, Italy
you just need to survive until either we get to AI singularity and our new lord and saviour finds a cure to all diseases or until mind uploading becomes a thing and we can all start a new eternal life in a virtual reality world on the cloud.

one of this two things could happen in our lifetime.

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I kind of have already to be honest. It's when I start thinking about my cat, is when I get antsy thinking about death. Whether it's from me thinking about having to go through with her end of days, or wondering who will take care of her if I go first.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I don't care if I die past the point of the impact it would have on the people I love.

I don't like the death of those people though. That's a lot harder to deal with. My mom almost died last year and it broke me. I get pretty sad thinking about people i don't even know dying now because I think about how their families must feel. My uncle died last month and it tore me apart that his kids didn't get to spend one last xmas with him.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
If I think about it too much I get freaked the fuck out. I'm hoping as I age I become more accepting of it and ready to face it. I'm not religious either so I don't have that sort of thing to comfort me.