• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Xenoblade Chronicles DE sell more than Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

• Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Editiong

Votes: 179 44.2%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Votes: 226 55.8%

• Total voters

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I completely understand preferring XB2 over XB1 from a music or gameplay stand point. But there are aspects of XB2 that are gross, filled with sexualization, or outright misogynistic and it's perplexing that every time XB2 is brought up on ReseterEra there are so many "Gee golly, I just don't understand why the haters have a problem with it" posts.

Xenoblade 2 took elements the franchise always had (sexualization, shonen cliches,) and ramped them up to 11, downplayed other aspects people liked in the franchise, and introduced controversial gacha mechanics. It's understandable why some fans are upset about that direction.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will. The franchise is only growing, and Xenoblade 1 is the most accessible of the lot.

It's a remake, which might hold it back. But I think it'll get there

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I don't think it will, remakes/remasters rarely sell as well as their predecessors (unless they're called Resident Evil or Mario Kart) and people are losing their jobs left and right. Not to mention Xenoblade 2 launching when Switch owners were so thirsty for portables jRPGS probably got a lot of people that normally wouldn't buy a Xeno game to try it.

I wish it did though. XC1's direction is way more appealing to me than XC2's harem shonen and I'd like for the rest of the series to be more like the first and less like the second

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who thought XBC1 battles got kinda boring and samey? I just did the exact same break/topple/whatever moves over and over again. Got old. I had much more fun with XBC2 although I might have missed some sort of depth in the first ones combat.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This. I personally think Xenoblade 2 does everything better than XC1 except character designs. To each their own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And even then it's like some of the outfits are just forgotten from XC1. Just because it was low res doesn't mean there weren't outfits where I was seeing sharla's butt cheeks. This idea that XC1 was perfectly tame and not "anime" has always weirded me out.

Personally, I played XC1 after XC2 expecting to be blown away after playing XC2 because some were adamant 1 was better in every way. I definitely finished 1 thinking XC2 was a step up in nearly every way.

That being said, I think I expect the remake to ultimately do better than 2 now that the series has gotten some popularity from 2.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why when it's basically the fourth time it's been released.

Frankly I'm still not sure why we're even getting a DE of it. I'd have much rather X considering how much the first one had already been re-released.

ZaddyMattty

Dec 4, 2017
New York City
XBCE will release to a much much larger install base than XB2 did. Not to mention, releasing amid a pandemic, and a reputation as one of the greatest RPGs of all time.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Seems very unlikely as it is a remake, especially when it's launching against good competition.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I don't see why it won't, there's atleast some people who have wanted to play this game but didn't want to play the Wii version because of the way it looks or didn't want to emulate it so they had no way at all to play it.

The switch bump is real and both Xenoblade and the switch itself are in better positions then 3 years ago. I say it happens but it may take a few months or even a year.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
God, I hope so.

The fact that this likely is going to be the only Nintendo release until at least August does fill me with hope, however.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
XBCE will release to a much much larger install base than XB2 did. Not to mention, releasing amid a pandemic, and a reputation as one of the greatest RPGs of all time.
The thing I'd like to point out to everyone saying "people are inside and it's a pandemic" is 1. Supply of Switches in the US seems to be sparse outside the Lite and 2. Just because people are home doesn't mean they'll have a ton of money to go around come May. We're having to pass legislation to make up for the 3mil+ people on unemployment in just America currently with the job market being the way it is. There are no certainties at this point.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
If Xenoblade 2 doing well with two major Xenosaga characters in it wasn't enough to get Bamco on board with remastering the trilogy, nothing will. At this point, a collection would require first party intervention to make it happen.
There was the Twitter posts from Harada that they tried to pitch it but couldn't find a business plan that worked for it. Never give up hope but he seemed pretty blunt about what happened and seemed upset about the fact.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
If not for the pandemic I would think it would 100%. Shulk being in Smash greatly enhanced its spotlight. The virus kind of throws things out of whack because of the mass loss of jobs, but maybe people will be looking for another game to play if they're still on lockdown, so nothing is certain.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really hard to say. In the US the game was limited to just Gamestops, and the 3DS remake was limited to the new 3DS. This will be the first time the game is on popular hardware at a popular time and not limited by a store or a revision.

Oct 26, 2017
No. For the following reasons:
1. It's a remake of a game already released 3 times.
2. Current economy due to pandemic.
3. Xenoblade 2 is already at 2m or close to it.
4. People will finally realize that it's too anime due to the artstyle.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I would be surprised if it outsells it. ~2M for a JRPG isn't something easy to achieve and yet XC2 is there. I think it will fall somewhere between 1M-1.5M.

And I kinda want the better game to sell more sooo~ (not that I mind either way, Xenoblade games selling well is good in my book regardless which one it is)

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Xenoblade 1 was a great game, but this is the third time it's been released, doesn't have the waifu quality for fans of XBC2, and Nintendo's mishandled a lot of the marketing for DE so far.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 1 was a great game, but this is the third time it's been released, doesn't have the waifu quality for fans of XBC2, and Nintendo's mishandled a lot of the marketing for DE so far.
It will interesting to see how many untapped fans there are considering how limited the Wii release was in certain areas and the 3DS version being New 3DS exclusive.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Definitely not now with the coronavirus. I think it could have beat XB2 in a world without the virus, but it has zero chance now.
Animal Crossing is breaking series opening weekend records. Coronavirus doesn't quite seem to be hurting the people just looking for something to do while stuck at home. Plus word of mouth, plus the fact that the original was nearly a decade ago on the Wii, and even fans of the original may want to see the updates.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I am thinking the main thing that's going to hold Xenoblade 1 back is the lack of a season pass. Xenoblade 2 had a really great one with with lots of updates throughout the year that kept it in conversation. I could see Xenoblade 1 launching higher but I think Xenoblade 2 would beat it through legs.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Animal Crossing is breaking series opening weekend records. Coronavirus doesn't quite seem to be hurting the people just looking for something to do while stuck at home. Plus word of mouth, plus the fact that the original was nearly a decade ago on the Wii, and even fans of the original may want to see the updates.
Although, on the other hand, some might argue that the massive economic hurting resulting from the virus hasn't hit yet, not in earnest.

That we are at the stage when people still have money to spend on games.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I don't think it's a silly thing to be interested in discussing at all, OP. It's even a hot topic of a franchise on the board and guaranteed a lot of interest at the least lol.

I don't feel like platforms with multiple RPG entries typically see increased sales though (FFVII>VIII>IX, FFX>FFXII, FFXIII>2>LR) not do remakes have the same appeal.

However with Nintendo's lineup and enough confidence to invest in it with marketing as a Nintendo branded classic RPG might be super beneficial. I feel like Nintendo has been riding a good wave of delivering content to it's base, with great results such as Xenoblade chronicles 2 or Fire Emblem even being great hardcore breakouts. I really do think they could guide players into looking into new genres and franchises, and Shulk already has great representation from Smash too.

I don't know. I don't think it's impossible, just unlikely!

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I sure hope so but, probably... hard to achieve.
I am thinking the main thing that's going to hold Xenoblade 1 back is the lack of a season pass. Xenoblade 2 had a really great one with with lots of updates throughout the year that kept it in conversation. I could see Xenoblade 1 launching higher but I think Xenoblade 2 would beat it through legs.
It HAS a season pass though, it's called Tsunagaru Mirai or future connected and it's FREE, so vastly superior.

Also a good part of 2 updates were because it was poorly optimised due to the lack of time and employees.

Lastly who knows if they won't add whateber update to it later. Could be in their thoughts or just not yet announced.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Even though 1 is the better game, I think it has no chance of selling better than 2. Remasters rarely sell more than the original release and this game has been released 3 times already. I remember this game being pirated a lot on the Wii and it also released on the 3DS for portable fans. The people that already played it wont't necessarily buy this and there aren't many people that didn't play it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think it will be hard for what is now the third iteration of the original Xenoblade to outsell Xenoblade 2, but who knows.

I'll be picking it up though and I haven't played Xenoblade 2.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the OG XC + 3DS XC + XCDE combined sales should be more than XC2 imo. I think it could easily hit a million sales alone.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I think it has a chance.

Pros:
Far bigger userbase
Word of mouth (regarding XC1 quality)
Good reputation of XC2
Re-releases usually doing well on Switch IIRC
Limited release of previous versions

Cons:
Coronavirus issues
Marketing and perhaps release time

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
In the real world Xeno 2 was very loved and well received. The only reason why DE could sell more is because of the WoM from 2 and the original will convince more people to give it a try.

The 2 haters will have to stay salty I guess.

I think DE will sell really well however. At least I hope it does.