• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Xenoblade Chronicles DE sell more than Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

• Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Editiong

Votes: 179 44.2%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Votes: 226 55.8%

• Total voters
Apr 21, 2018
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold 1.5 million units worldwide. Can XCDE beat it?

I post this because I disagreed with another poster about it, and I'm curious to know what everyone thinks.

I think XCDE will sell more, simply because I think it looks way better, the Switch has far more units in homes, Shulk was in Smash Bros., and for me personally, I found the XB2 art style horrendous. Xenoblade is becoming an established brand. I think XCDE has the potential to sell 3 million units.

Please share your reasoning and what sales potential you think XCDE has. Please laugh and ridicule me if you think I am wrong.

And if you want to ask "why another sales thread", is it a sin to be interested in sales metrics and predicting it? Please don't act like it's a dirty thing to enjoy. Actually, you can act like it's dirty and make fun of me for it. I don't care.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The last number we had of XB2 was that it was at 1.73mil. It's very likely over 2 million at this point.

There's probably no way that XBDE beats that, but it'll probably do well considering the franchise only really had its breakout moment with XB2.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has probably topped 2 million by now and I doubt DE will beat that. I think it will beat every other game in the series though.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I think XC2 has the novelty factor. It also has the waifu thing going for it (regardless of how it's perceived here). I hope we get a port of X too.

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully yes, so they can greenlight an entire game starring Melia and not just the epilogue

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not now with the coronavirus. I think it could have beat XB2 in a world without the virus, but it has zero chance now.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
This thread already exists

www.resetera.com

Will Xenoblade DE sell more than Xenoblade 2?

In pretty much every Xenoblade topic we read fans stating the first game as vastly superior to its sequel(gameplay, character design, etc). When many fans of the sequel mention its sales success, the detractors rightfully bring up that its greater sales are due to launching on a hot brand new...

And the answer is no, typically remakes and re-releases dont do as well unless your Mario Kart.

EDIT: also XB2 had sold 1.73 million in early 2019, probably over 2 million now

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive atleast has decent character designs that should help, also shouldn't be as low res as Xenoblade 2 was since it's a remaster of a Wii game especially portably

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Even though XCDE is going to end up being the better game, I don't think it will sell more. It's a remake, a good portion has played it already and won't again, it won't feel as fresh and new anymore so critics, influencers and word of mouth won't hype it up as much and it seems to me as if Nintendo isn't promoting it as much as a fresh, new mainline XC release like XC2 either.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 1 is a VASTLY better game than 2, but 2 came out at the perfect time for Switch releases. It just had a perfect storm of release timing and other things that helped it catapult to success.

I don't see the port of the original game having nearly as much market penetration, but I SO WISH that it would. XC2 was so gross.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I hope it gets REALLY close though. Like I said in the other thread they're both two halves of a great whole, I'd be really bummed if this one didn't sell as much. If it sells more I'll be happy either way. More Xeno is good.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It should 'cause it's a better game, but I don't see it happening.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I dunno. Xenoblade might be the more mainstream friendly game (it isn't brazenly animu like 2, which tbf, seized a really healthy of it's own lol), but it's older and probably already had a lot of people play it. It'd be amazing to see them have near equal sales, regardless.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Xenoblade 1 is a VASTLY better game than 2, but 2 came out at the perfect time for Switch releases. It just had a perfect storm of release timing and other things that helped it catapult to success.

I don't see the port of the original game having nearly as much market penetration, but I SO WISH that it would. XC2 was so gross.

I could easily reword this vice versa.

Opinions mang. Plus this is a sales expectation thread

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
probably not but more/increasing switch users from the xenoblade 2 release could push it over the top

still a "new" franchise with no concise way to game it out

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Not a chance. If anything its release will make Xenoblade 2 sell even more thanks to more exposure of the franchise.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I find it super unlikely that a remake breaks out beyond what the sequel already achieved on Switch, but I think the Definitive Edition will probably beat the original game's run on Wii and that's enough for me.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not now with the coronavirus. I think it could have beat XB2 in a world without the virus, but it has zero chance now.

I don't know -- people are going to be stuck inside. The Switch is going to do very well (or, as well as supply allows) while the virus is going on.

My guess is it'll do much better than XB1 and XBX, but fall short of XB2. 1mil+ tho is definitely possible.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
A remake of an older game hinders it for sure, but I could actually see it happening. It's not like XB's initial release was widely available, especially long after Wii software died. It's a series that's grown far since then, along with its Smash presence, and with its rep I could definitely see it selling up there. Not to mention the Switch userbase growing as well since 2.

That being said I wouldn't be putting money on it, just that I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna take the under on this one, folks.

1) Not in the Switch launch window.
2) Launching alongside The Last of Us 2, which will suck up all the games coverage at that time.
3) It's a remake, which rarely make major moolah.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
this battle people keep trying to force between the two games is getting weird lol

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
this battle people keep trying to force between the two games is getting weird lol

Yea even though they're from the same breed

This. I personally think Xenoblade 2 does everything better than XC1 except character designs. To each their own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway it's just weird.. Like wish the good sales for the success of the franchise and Monolithsoft, don't wish just to hate on the 2nd game

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know -- people are going to be stuck inside. The Switch is going to do very well (or, as well as supply allows) while the virus is going on.

My guess is it'll do much better than XB1 and XBX, but fall short of XB2. 1mil+ tho is definitely possible.
I think that's true now for games like Animal Crossing and Doom but won't be true in May after two months of lockdown and record unemployment. I have to assume that the game will sell somewhere around 25% less than it would have in a covid-free world.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
While we're at it I'd just like to say I love all Xenoblade games a lot, for many different strengths they each carry (good god XB2 OST, I know XB1's was great too but wow)

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
it may be a better game than XB2 by a long shot, but xb2 had anime skimpy girls in a gacha like system, XBC didn't

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

Released in December and was pretty much the leading game for Switch for months considering we just had a ton of ports first half of 2018; timing could not have been better for the game

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Hard to say. Xenoblade as a series is getting bigger each time, this game is known for its quality and anyone who loved 2 will probably buy it. But it's still a remake and we are living a world pandemic.
All I can say is that Nintendo is clearly confident in it.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I think it does. Xeno 1 fans coming back + Xeno 2 fans who didn't play Xeno 1 will probably want to see what's up.