• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 14, 2017
All in the title, really?

Could storage be a themed peripheral IN the box by late gen? Might Seagate sell drives with games on them?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not. Writing the data to the SSD would be an extra step in manufacturing, it'd require some software coding to ensure that the game was added to the correct user account, and any game sold with an SSD would probably be patched by the time the storage was bought, potentially requiring the whole thing to be redownloaded anyway, making its inclusion wasted effort.

If storage comes with any games, they'll probably just be codes.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I could possibly see it if Microsoft put out like a 2 or 4TB SSD expansion. But probably just a Game Pass code.

That said, I think those expansions would be so expensive that they wouldn't really be marketing them for anyone but the most hardcore who would buy them anyway.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Probably not. Writing the data to the SSD would be an extra step in manufacturing, it'd require some software coding to ensure that the game was added to the correct user account, and any game sold with an SSD would probably be patched by the time the storage was bought, potentially requiring the whole thing to be redownloaded anyway, making its inclusion wasted effort.

If storage comes with any games, they'll probably just be codes.
Why would they add extra drives instead of just updating the SKU with a bigger internal one?

Ding and ding. Agreed, I don't see why either of these things would happen.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought an external "Xbox" brand drive for my PC, and it came with like 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am a little confused by the title because games don't typically come "on" graphics cards and I don't think I've ever seen a graphics card come with an SSD. It's usually just a download code that gets emailed to you or is in the box. So I assume it might be like that, as is currently the case with most bundled games.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
The title is confusing, i assume op just means that a game might be bundled with the ssd.
Being actually installed on the ssd from the factory doesn't sound possible.