• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Xbox Gamepass for Nintendo Switch be revealed today?

• Yes

Votes: 115 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 663 67.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 207 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's been a few months since this rumour took the internet with storm, but the discussion has died down since. I think a lot of us expected this to be settled with E3 and well, it's just hours away. So what do you think, ERA? Will the partnership happen? Will we be able to stream Forza and Halo on our Switch in the near future? How many games would Microsoft bring natively to the Switch?

Personally this is one of the possibilities in gaming that has me the most excited so I have been disappointed it's not really been talked about that much in the pre-E3 build up.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
The question is more "will xCloud be revealed for Switch today?"

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I think it's too much for MS to currently support two different GamePass services due to the incompatibility of the games. The portability of the Switch also makes a package deal with xcloud have limited market potential.

I think they'll first see how successful xcloud can become before announcing a GamePass service.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't see it happening. Game sales are very strong on the switch. Why would they do game pass?

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Its kind of hilarious that Microsoft is turning out to be one of the best 3rd parties on Switch - Minecraft / Cupheard /Ori and maybe more native ports and then maybe we get gamepass via xCLoud.

Kind of shows how pathetic support is from the likes of EA when we have a hardware competitor (traditionally at least) putting in more effort to support the Switch then huge third parties - I hope Microsoft get a ton of success from what they are doing

OP
OP

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Xcloud would happen before gamepass, you can't stream on gamepass right?
What would be the purpose of xCloud on Switch without Gamepass?

Its kind of hilarious that Microsoft is turning out to be one of the best 3rd parties on Switch - Minecraft / Cupheard /Ori and maybe more native ports and then maybe we get gamepass via xCLoud.

Kind of shows how pathetic support is from the likes of EA when we have a hardware competitor (traditionally at least) putting in more effort to support the Switch then huge third parties - I hope Microsoft get a ton of success from what they are doing

I'll share this sentiment 100% once it is confirmed!

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Jeuxvideo which i trust as the most reliable source on this, didn't mention E3 specifically.

I vote for maybe, i think they will announce the new Xbox app on Switch that includes all their services like Game Pass. (not sure if they will mention Game Pass specifically though)

The tone of the conference will be less about Xbox as a console and more about Xbox as an ecosystem for their consoles, Windows, Android&iOS and yes Switch also.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
Why would Nintendo even allow this? Since Gamepass has alot of Indies on it, they would basically risk their thriving Indie community on the Switch.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Also worth noting i highly doubt Nintendo will mention services, cause their Direct is focused on games only. (they will maybe mention the game announcements that comes from this but not Game Pass)

OP
OP

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also worth noting i highly doubt Nintendo will mention services, cause their Direct is specifically focused on games only. (they will mention the game announcements that comes from this but not Game Pass)
Yeah I feel Nintendo could focus on the games that get native ports on Switch but otherwise I don't feel this is something they'd really cover in a Direct.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Man if xCloud would get revealed for Switch that would be swell. Please be happening.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not but I expect something from MS on Switch.
Either Rare Replay or maybe Banjo game coming to Xbox/Switch.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Nintendo even allow this? Since Gamepass has alot of Indies on it, they would basically risk their thriving Indie community on the Switch.
Well it's the same for Nintendo. They don't care how people get their indie titles, buy them, Gamepass them, whatever, as long as they buy a Switch.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I think Nintendo and Sony recognise that there are households and enthusiasts that own more than one console, I think they probably also recognise that if you buy a multiplatform game on one machine you're unlikely to buy it on another without some unique selling point or exclusive... So actually, having an xcloud type service on their devices wouldn't hurt too much.

What I can't see either ever accepting is a competing storefront or in-game DLC sales operating over such a service. I can't see them allowing library management on it... It's why Nintendo didn't want to be tangled up in Origin, and it's why Sony are so hesitant over allowing cross play in big games where DLC would make them money.

If between them they can agree a way of making it work without harming their own business I could see xcloud happening some day.

Game pass I'm not so sure. If Microsoft support the switch with other releases, maybe?