• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see The Last Night in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 52 16.3%
  • No

Votes: 183 57.4%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 84 26.3%

• Total voters

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
btw, there's a similar game to The Last Night - Replaced from Sad Cat Studios (also, still in development)

JQTHoEC.gif

cia3ZcD.gif

Whoa, first time seeing Replaced. With this, ANNO and Backbone, I have 3 titles to look forward to instead of TLN.

And there's also Cloudpunk, while it doesn't use 2D sprites, the cyberpunk vibes and the scale of the city are just as amazing:

Kinda like this one?

Yo these games look nuts, added to the list thanks for posting em :O

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think so, but probably not releasing, OddTales had some investing problems but Tim said theyre still at it and the Christmas tweet pointed to Lorn still making the score.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
"graphics look fantastic, will buy day one"

is a dogwhistle, we've seen it over and over again - its a driveby post from people who will only post once in the thread. its provocative considering the extensive back and forth discussions we've had on era (and gaf) by singularly shutting down a thread of conversation with "i can't hear you, i'm buying this no matter what". there's no particularly reason to announce your purchase to everyone in a thread full of people contesting the games status, unless.... ?

This is such a derivative suggestion that betrays the strict black & white thinking foisted on us by the "us vs. them" mentality of cable news media outlets, etc.

It's lazy thinking that fails to even engage with the idea that it's possible to be a social equality ally and still have interest in a game like this.

Sad to see such binary conclusions drawn. That if one doesn't meet some arbitrary morality litmus test, they're obviously The Enemy.

And it's also hypocritical af when we engage with all sorts of consumerism on a daily basis that's rooted in problematic production (Apple products, etc.).

I wish people were more self-controlled and patient in their willingness to consider the ambiguities found in all aspects of life. It's never as simple or clean cut as we see presented here.

I'm interested in this game. I'm also an equal-rights ally. How could those two things possibly coexist? Those who don't have room in their minds to even entertain the thought strike me as idealistically naive.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Downplaying misogyny, trolling
Still waiting for some of you to answer my question above. Plenty of posters here seemingly okay with the games message. Why?
Because years ago when The Last Night was shown off at E3 Tim went on record to say that those views were no longer reflected in the game and even apologized on stage at the PC gaming show. Is it possible that he was lying? Sure, but the fact is that right now we don't know what the game's message is.

If you don't believe him then fine you do you, but don't try to paint those of us looking forward to this game as misogynists. That's really how your post(s) comes across, and it's really shitty. It does nothing but kill discussion. Maybe that's what you want, but I know that I almost never enter in the conversation about this game these days because I know that there are individuals here who will try to accuse me of being something that I'm not just because I want to play the it. Many of us are interested in the Last Night because it left a strong first impression. There aren't many games that looks quite like it. Being interested in the game does not mean that you're ok with a shitty message.

I hope The Last Night sees the light of day. If anything because I'm more curious than ever to see what it's truly about. You only have yourself and those like you to blame for that particular curiosity. If it ends up pushing a bad message I know I'll hold the game and Tim accountable, but I'm curious too see how the game actually turns out.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they aren't yet in a place where they can show off actual gameplay, then I kinda doubt they will be shipping in the next 12 months.

I am curious about it mostly since it's described as a platformer. Will it be something like Flashback or Out of This World? Or will it be more mechanics/skill-heavy like a Mario or Rayman? The sort of slow languid pace of the trailer makes it seem like they are looking for a more cinematic take.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
And it's also hypocritical af when we engage with all sorts of consumerism on a daily basis that's rooted in problematic production (Apple products, etc.).

Ah yes, I do too participate in society - what a tired gotcha. I know there's uncompromising desperation to play Tim's game, but at least make your claims look credible instead of resorting to whatever this is.

Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Downplaying misogyny, trolling
To the people still hoping it gets released. Why are you looking forward to a game that will undoubtedly be misogynist and who knows what other bullshit?

The games setting is literally "a dystopian future where modern feminism won". If that sounds cool to you, please let us all know so we can mass report you.

I always find this kind of attitude towards other people reductive in the extreme. Wanting to mass report someone because they might have a different viewpoint or enjoy engaging in something that you disagree with? Jesus christ. Guess what, there's plenty of people who still listen to Michael Jackson, who still play games by Hideo Kojima or who might like <insert content from problematic person here> and this may shock you but not all of them are complete monsters who should be ostracized. I mean Minecraft is the biggest game in the world and we all know exactly what kind of asshole created that game even if he hasn't been actively involved in the development for a long time now. You want any kids on this forum who play Minecraft to name themselves so they can be "mass reported"? Grow up.

I'm not actually interested in this game at all because all we've seen of it is a pretty trailer and i couldn't care less about a game if i don't have the faintest clue of how it actually plays. But i'm not gonna sit here and talk trash at people who may be interested in the same way that i wouldn't trash someone for showing an interest in any kind of consumable product or "artistic work" if you will.

There are plenty of things out there, movies, games, books that have themes that i would consider disturbing but will still participate/engage in/with. I will happily fight for the right of this Soret person to make a game based on whatever the hell he wants and if it turns out to be a piece of shit i will judge it accordingly. Who knows, it could be some sort of creative masterpiece. Seems unlikely but hey, stranger things have happened.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I always find this kind of attitude towards other people reductive in the extreme. Wanting to mass report someone because they might have a different viewpoint or enjoy engaging in something that you disagree with? Jesus christ. Guess what, there's plenty of people who still listen to Michael Jackson, who still play games by Hideo Kojima or who might like <insert content from problematic person here> and this may shock you but not all of them are complete monsters who should be ostracized. I mean Minecraft is the biggest game in the world and we all know exactly what kind of asshole created that game even if he hasn't been actively involved in the development for a long time now. You want any kids on this forum who play Minecraft to name themselves so they can be "mass reported"? Grow up.
do you realize that the bolded part effectively cancels the rest of your argument right? People are ok with Minecraft because the property has been away from him longer that it ever was associated with him. Its not his anymore, if Notch wants to swim in the Qanon puddle and be a transphobic piece of shit, whatever, hes very clearly no longer important when it comes to MC.

Believe me that, if current far right Notch was still the director or main designer of Minecraft, the conversations had about the game here would be much different.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's lazy thinking that fails to even engage with the idea that it's possible to be a social equality ally and still have interest in a game like this.
I'm interested in this game. I'm also an equal-rights ally. How could those two things possibly coexist? Those who don't have room in their minds to even entertain the thought strike me as idealistically naive.
You're so close-minded that your purity tests fail to even recognize those on your own team.

Incredible.
I'm curious what would it take for you to lose interest in the game, on a social level?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what would it take for you to lose interest in the game, on a social level?

Likely if the game portrayed women as the Downfall of Western Civilization or some such. Like if it proudly wore misogyny on its sleeve.

The above may have been seeded in the original plans for the game but have since been stripped out according to the developer himself.

Guess we'll see how it turns out in reality.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
To the people still hoping it gets released. Why are you looking forward to a game that will undoubtedly be misogynist and who knows what other bullshit?

The games setting is literally "a dystopian future where modern feminism won". If that sounds cool to you, please let us all know so we can mass report you.
We don't actually know what the game will be or if it even still exists. They went completely dark.

I'm imagining it as a walking simulator where you die if your misogyny meter gets too low. The game over screen will then say, "You were cucked."

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I voted not sure.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of message the game would give off. It looks like he tried to play the "I'm not trying to convey a poltiical message", Ubisoft-style which is hilarious considering what he's said in the not-so-distant past.