• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will we?

• Yes

Votes: 80 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 11.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 48 33.3%

• Total voters

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
So... the trailer for Three Houses is out and was met with a mixed reception. I'm personally not feeling it, it looks too much like a JRPG and not enough like an SRPG. That being said, it does set an interesting precedent for the future of the series.

FE often takes a while on the first installment on a new console to get an engine in place. Now that one is, they could remake more games, although they would have to be 3D which poses an interesting challenge. The Echoes team themselves have expressed an interest in making more remakes (particularly Binding Blade or Famicom Wars), but it may not be so easy.

Pros of a remake:

- Maps are pre-designed

- Story in place

- Characters established.

- New global audience

- Cheaper

Cons:

- Change to 3D or make a new engine (unless its the Tellius duology)
- Development Costs are higher on Switch

- Potential fan backlash if yoi change too much

- Echoes sold incredibly respectfully given the release time and content, but wasn't a home run.

Personally, I desperstely want remakes. If they want to court a new audience, cool! But they risk leaving behind those who stuck with them and prefer the older styles. I think mainline for new fans, Echoes for existing is not a bad compromise until they run out of games to remake

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
The 6/7 combination remake is inevitable if only to straighten out the canon between the two games and get Western nostalgia dollars.

Honestly don't know if they'll do 4 or 5.

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
Fire Emblem 6/7 but the maps are done in a style not unlike the Link's Awakening Remake.

I feel like that would be a good way to retain the aesthetic of those games but on an HD system.

Not sure how that would translate to the attack animations though.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Quite possible, but given the time invested in Three Houses, I don't think we can expect any more than one further series entry for Switch. I'd be absolutely fine with remakes with the level of visuals seen in the 3DS echoes, but that's probably not what the market deems acceptable.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I hope, and think, they'll continue them. I don't see why they'd bother with the "Echoes" moniker if they weren't planning on it being a series of remakes. Although I do hope we'll see a Tellius HD collection soon, perhaps before any other one. That's just me being selfish though.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem 6/7 but the maps are done in a style not unlike the Link's Awakening Remake.
Sorry, but no thank you >.<

I'm up for a remake of basically anything that isn't Shadow Dragon or Sacred Stones (not that I dislike that game, just that some aspects are too similar to Gaiden). My favourite FE is a remake (12).

... Will they though? I have no idea. For all we know, Three Houses is a 4/5, 6/7 or 9/10 duology, and they need all their manpower for that.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Quite possible, but given the time invested in Three Houses, I don't think we can expect any more than one further series entry for Switch. I'd be absolutely fine with remakes with the level of visuals seen in the 3DS echoes, but that's probably not what the market deems acceptable.

The next game probably will come faster since they'll already have this hd engine ready. That said, in spite of their statement about Echoes doing fine, the known numbers seem low, and the lack of actual number milestone announcements by Nintendo or IS make it look like its sales can't actually have been as good as they say.

Even if there is a new remake, I don't think they'd use the Echoes branding again. It'd likely stand on its own.

Last edited:

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think modern IntSys is interested in the tone and themes of older FE games, but it would be pretty funny to see them tackle something like FE4 and how different it would end up.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
The 6/7 combination remake is inevitable if only to straighten out the canon between the two games and get Western nostalgia dollars.

we're talking about fire emblem, so i assume when you say "combination remake" you mean "two separate titles sold at full price"

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
give me my man Sigurd, you cowards, let me kill arvis early and let him be happy with Deirdre, even as a DLC

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I think the 8-4 tone of localization and Hidari's artsyle heavily influenced my positive impression of Echoes. Never did play Shadow Dragon.

No guarantee that either of those things will reappear in a new remake.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I think the 8-4 tone of localization and Hidari's artsyle heavily influenced my positive impression of Echoes. Never did play Shadow Dragon.

that's for the best. shadow dragon was hideous and what little new content it did add was basically sacrilege.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if they will keep the Echoes branding, but Intelligent Systems will keep doing remakes of FE for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
FE12 remade the Satellaview maps/'game' in addition to 3 and included a bunch of new maps/chapters in the prologue, so you never know.
You can't be seriously comparing a DS remake to the amount of work and money of a Switch game. Also FE 6 and 7 are fairly different games sharing common background's. Doing a combined remake of things like FE4/5, FE6/7 and FE9/10 like some fans want is just being stupid and leaving money on the table while doubling(at minimum) the amount of work.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

All the games they have left to use as a base for a remake are all much better than Gaiden though, so we have nowhere to go but up.

Aveyn Knight

Nov 29, 2017
UK
I really want more Echoes.

But combo games are an impossible dream. Yeah, they did it with Mystery of the Emblem, but games had way smaller budgets and the games were simpler.

There's no way they wouldn't want to profit from remaking games separately. It's why we got a Shadow Dragon remake and not a remake of Mystery of the Emblem with both books.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't see why they wouldn't do 4 or 5. 4 is way more beloved than Gaiden ever was, and 5 holds up really well even today for the most part, plus it was a really limited release so it would benefit a lot from being remade and having a wider release.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
FE12 remade the Satellaview maps/'game' in addition to 3 and included a bunch of new maps/chapters in the prologue, so you never know.
FE12 was missing all of Book 1 though. Of course, part of that is that it just reused graphics and engine from Shadow Dragon (even missing some FE3 features as a result like unmounted pegasus knights and cavaliers), so there would be hardly any difference, but the fact we got Shadow Dragon and New Mystery as separate games in the first place in spite of them being mostly known in Japan as the bundled FE3 (since it sold better than the original FE1 and retconned FE1's more Roman inspired aesthetic in favor of the usual medieval fantasy that the series carried from then on) shows that a remake actually combining two games would be very unlikely.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
You can't be seriously comparing a DS remake to the amount of work and money of a Switch game. Also FE 6 and 7 are fairly different games sharing common background's. Doing a combined remake of things like FE4/5, FE6/7 and FE9/10 like some fans want is just being stupid and leaving money on the table while doubling(at minimum) the amount of work.
For context, something like Valentia has 60 different missions/maps without counting dungeons, which is roughly the same as 6 and 7 combined. And I'm not really saying it's likely so much as conceivable, if you know what I mean?

Woylie

May 9, 2018
voted yes mostly as wishful thinking

i'd like it to be like pokemon where the remakes fill in gaps between mainline titles.

Oct 27, 2017
I think we'll probably see one every five years. If we are going to go at that pace though, I really hope they remake 4 and 5 first. But dang, does the series director really want to remake 6/7. Doesn't help that behind 4, 6/7 are the biggest fan favorites that have yet to get a remake (9 lies between them, but I don't see a remake of the Tellius games happening for a long time).

I mean, heck, look at this art they made for the release of the Binding Blade + Blazing Blade soundtracks that released last October:

fire-emblem-binding-blade-blazing-blade-soundtrack-main-visual.png

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
My greatest Fire Emblem wish is for the Jugdral games to be remade and get the respect they deserve.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
getting rid of the amazing gba sprite work seems like a big misstep but yeah it's inevitable. at least do my boy gonzalez justice

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God I hope so. Really enjoyed SoV, and as someone who got into the series at awakening, I'd love to play the older games remade.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we could get a Path of Radiance/ Radiant Dawn combo. Just keep the maps and gameplay intact but update the visuals.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Sign me up. It feels like Fire Emblem is becoming a bigger franchise so I hope they'll have enough motivation to remake all of them if Three Houses does well enough.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Three houses was the direction I feared the IP was heading, after my distaste with Fates unless they do more games like Echos I think I'm officially done with this series moving forward.

Bring on the remakes!

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think for now the focus is going to be on creating new characters to add to Heroes and merchandising. Maybe when the Switch is being phased out we'll see another remake.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I think so. Remakes make sense. After Three Houses, they may remake an older Fire Emblem to fill in the Switch release schedule for 2020-2021. It will reuse Three Houses engine and assets. It makes sense.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I hope so. There's no real guarantee, but it would be extremely nice for the entire series to reach the west via remakes in between mainline entries.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
What if they did de-makes of the Tellius games? Like instead of updating them to Three Houses quality for switch, use the 3DS style FE sprites. The games and the story are great on their own, but would benefit from a snappier experience. Giving the games' original bad 3D a modern HD remake wouldn't be that compelling on its own IMO, but a snappier, tighter experience that the 3D/2D games could offer would.