• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see a new Diablo game at this years Blizzcon?

• Yes

Votes: 277 62.4%
  • No

Votes: 167 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
No.
They are not able to compete with Grinding Gear Games, and would not willingly go into a secondary position in a market. Way too risky.

I think they will.

Path of Exile (the current market leader in ARPG's) are set to reveal their hugely hyped 4.0 patch in mid November too which might spark a bit of activity within the Diablo arm of Blizzard.

Any indications on what size team are making Diablo 4 and a timeline on release? jschreier

POE 4.0 is not coming anytime soon. Their version numbers follow the semver, so after 3.9, there will be 3.10, 3.11, and potentially 3.12 before 4.0 sometime late 2020.

Don't you guys have phones?

What? Do you not have nets, Exile?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.
They are not able to compete with Grinding Gear Games, and would not willingly go into a secondary position in a market. Way too risky.

POE 4.0 is not coming anytime soon. Their version numbers follow the semver, so after 3.9, there will be 3.10, 3.11, and potentially 3.12 before 4.0 sometime late 2020.

What? Do you not have nets, Exile?
They announced they would reveal 4.0 with playable demos at exilecon

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I remember reading that they initially wanted to reveal D4 last year, but pulled out 2 weeks before Blizzcon, leading to the clusterfuck we got instead. It'll be revealed this year a 100%.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Only if Winnie the Pooh and the gang in the hundred acre wood give their approval.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I never said it would release soon. I said they will reveal it soon.

Blizzard might want Diablo 4 out or around the time of 4.0.

Also lol at "not able to compete with GGG". Diablo 4 will sell 30+ million copies. They just need to support it better in the years after it launches and that's something Blizzard can fix as they excel at post launch support in other titans such as Overwatch, Hearthstone and WoW.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I never said it would release soon. I said they will reveal it soon.

Blizzard might want Diablo 4 out or around the time of 4.0.

Also lol at "not able to compete with GGG". Diablo 4 will sell 30+ million copies. They just need to support it better in the years after it launches and that's something Blizzard can fix as they excel at post launch support in other titans such as Overwatch, Hearthstone and WoW.

No. D3 sold 30+ million because of lack of competition (remember, POE was just out of alpha/beta back then when Vanilla hit), and by the time the expansion came, POE already retained a more active streamer base. D3 is not that exciting long-term, which is proven by the fact that even between multiple console releases and 30+ million sales, Blizzard did not keep staff around for a serious post-launch update.

Check out interviews with Blizz insiders during the mobile Diablo fiasco, and you will see that Blizzard lacks the developers who would actively want to go against PoE. They are genuinely interested in mobile titles nowadays.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really really doubt diablo 4 would struggle because of POE.
It would still sell truckloads. Just look at the console releases.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really really doubt diablo 4 would struggle because of POE.
It would still sell truckloads. Just look at the console releases.
yeah lol this is seriously a delusional bubble. The idea that PoE has a chokehold on the ARPG market and Blizzard can't possibly compete with that game is uhhh lunacy? It's lunacy.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. D3 sold 30+ million because of lack of competition (remember, POE was just out of alpha/beta back then when Vanilla hit), and by the time the expansion came, POE already retained a more active streamer base. D3 is not that exciting long-term, which is proven by the fact that even between multiple console releases and 30+ million sales, Blizzard did not keep staff around for a serious post-launch update.

Check out interviews with Blizz insiders during the mobile Diablo fiasco, and you will see that Blizzard lacks the developers who would actively want to go against PoE. They are genuinely interested in mobile titles nowadays.

No. Diablo 3 sold 30+ million because Diablo is a massive, massive brand with a huge Worldwide following.

I can assure you PoE isn't a huge concern to Blizzard despite it's success. If Blizzard supports D4 to the extent it supports Hearthstone, WoW and Overwatch then PoE wouldn't be the market leader. It's as simple as that. D4 will be built from the ground up as a service with content planned going forward after launch. outside of seasonal resets.

Don't take that as a knock to PoE. I love the game but a much better supported D4 will make for two great ARPG's instead of one.

GGG has done a great job doing what Blizzard should have done with D3.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'd hope that they know they kind of have to show Diablo 4 this year after last year's debacle. Anything short of that would be a disappointment.

FreeangelGP05

Oct 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
No, this is usually a WoW expansion year. I'm guessing the big guns will be WoW expansion and whatever is next for Overwatch. I could see Blizzard saying yes, we are working on Diablo 4, but not ready to show anything.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
No. Diablo 3 sold 30+ million because Diablo is a massive, massive brand with a huge Worldwide following.

I can assure you PoE isn't a huge concern to Blizzard despite it's success. If Blizzard supports D4 to the extent it supports Hearthstone, WoW and Overwatch then PoE wouldn't be the market leader. It's as simple as that. D4 will be built from the ground up as a service with content planned going forward after launch. outside of seasonal resets.

Don't take that as a knock to PoE. I love the game but a much better supported D4 will make for two great ARPG's instead of one.

GGG has done a great job doing what Blizzard should have done with D3.

You cant build on top of a broken foundation. D3's foundation was broken by tying ALL skill damage to scale off % weapondamage.
You need talent, will and foundation to build as many layers on top of your game as PoE has done so. It is literally impossible with D3.

For D4, they might need an actual lead developer for it with a vision.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I can see them teasing it but I don't see getting any firm details or dates. More of a "hey we're working on this" than a "Here it is and its coming out in Pick a Season, 2020". My personal guess it would be an early 2021 release but I am happy to be wrong with that as I want to see what they bring to to the table with a new one.

Deleted member 22070

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, this is usually a WoW expansion year. I'm guessing the big guns will be WoW expansion and whatever is next for Overwatch. I could see Blizzard saying yes, we are working on Diablo 4, but not ready to show anything.

This. A title reveal at BEST, but that's it.

I used to stan pretty hard for Blizzard but I'm so burnt on their recent years' handling of games. Plus their whole famous super long dev cycle and whole spiel on interative process have lost its magic and effectiveness imho. Don't get me wrong, I still believe games should take their time to be as polished as possible, but for them it's not so much about polishing than iterating and trying a million ideas before "running ouf time" and having to can it all. Or so it seems.

But ofc I could be wrong and that's only my perception of it from the outside.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
After last Blizzcon i don't see how they couldn't show off a new Diablo. Even if it's just a CG announcement trailer.

As for POE, POE is in it's own bubble it's not going to effect anything Diablo 4 is going to move truck loads of units on all platforms.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep saying that they are going to release Diablo Immortal into "open beta" during the opening ceremonies and that they'll have, at the bare minimum, a teaser for Diablo 4 during this BlizzCon. When I say teaser, I mean it could be as small as a voiced over logo reveal, with a "Coming Q4 2020" and a "sign up for the alpha" website.

I know that it's normal Blizzard M.O. to not reveal much until they can go a bit in-depth with whatever is being revealed, but we need to remember that this is the first BlizzCon since Activision seems to have taken a harder stance with the company. Activision seems to be much more concerned with them releasing more games, more often, so the culture of "take as much time as we need" has been thrown out the window. They don't want to take a hit, share-wise, and lack of news for key franchises can cause that. Even though it won't release in this fiscal year, confidence that it is right around the corner will "help" with that. Or something.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I don't think they could not announce a Diablo 4, at this point they've burned so many bridges that it needs to be announced at this blizcon.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
They will announce Diablo IV, won't show any gameplay footage, will release Immortal for free during Blizzcon as a crowd pleaser.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As a long time fan of Diablo and of loot based ARPGs in general...

I have next to no interest in a new Diablo game from Blizzard. And that was before all of this China fiasco. Pretty much just straight up deleted my Battle.net from my laptop. I haven't bought a Blizzard game in years so it was whatever anyway.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Yes, they've hinted at it very strongly -- at the very least, we'll get some sort of cinematic trailer.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You cant build on top of a broken foundation. D3's foundation was broken by tying ALL skill damage to scale off % weapondamage.
You need talent, will and foundation to build as many layers on top of your game as PoE has done so. It is literally impossible with D3.

For D4, they might need an actual lead developer for it with a vision.

I'm not talking about D3.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
I think they will try to show something about D4, maybe a small teaser.

I have no interest in it though personally or anything they have made in a lot of years now.

As for the discussion going on about the 30+ million D3 sold, imo that was because of Diablo 2 having the legendary status that it has.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to say they will, but I was pretty surprised last year when they made such a hubub about it being a Diablo focused Blizzcon and they didn't actually announce Diablo 4.

That said, the backlash to that was fairly intense, so I think they may announce Diablo 4 this year if only to placate the fans at this point, though I'm hoping it'll be a meaty announcement, with a release window hopefully.

Not sure about an Overwatch sequel though. Blizzard has shown clearly that they are willing to keep a game going with no sequels if it's staying alive well enough, otherwise we'd have seen a sequel to WoW at this point. I think an Overwatch sequel seems unlikely, unless it's possibly some fleshed out campaign? That might be something.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I don't see how there would be a second Overwatch game. What I think we might see is another cinematic, a new map (we just got Sigma, too soon for another hero, right?) and possibly a seasonal short story campaign appended to the game. Not a full sequel or new game in entirety.

D4? No.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard has had a team working on a mainline Diablo game for over 3 years now. Between that and Jason Schrier's comments, we'll probably see D4 is some form at Blizzcon.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think as far as gameplay they'll show angelic/demonic versions of five classes, and that'll be the big gimmick, two pre-set variants.

They'll punt on doing anything as deep as D2/PoE on the gameplay front.

The one thing they will do is introduce a cosmetic shop and figure out ways to nickel and dime people - selling additional stash space, etc.

The entire Diablo Immortal fiasco was funny but let's be real, Diablo died with LoD. We're just getting Diablo-flavored Gauntlet now.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think if nothing else you'll see a title card or something. They know they need to create some good will lol.

I think as far as gameplay they'll show angelic/demonic versions of five classes, and that'll be the big gimmick, two pre-set variants.

They'll punt on doing anything as deep as D2/PoE on the gameplay front.

The one thing they will do is introduce a cosmetic shop and figure out ways to nickel and dime people - selling additional stash space, etc.

The entire Diablo Immortal fiasco was funny but let's be real, Diablo died with LoD. We're just getting Diablo-flavored Gauntlet now.
This is a sad but great point.

Funny thing is, I'd be so down for a Gauntlet Dark Legacy remaster lmao.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Honestly? Only way I'd be interested in Diablo 4 is if it were an ambitious reboot. Despite some neat ideas, D3 left a bad taste in my mouth when it was all said and done. And story wise RoS basically reset everything anyway.

Blizzard's GaaS boner isn't going away, either. They'll work it in to the detriment of any game.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes because I believe in the power of positive thinking... but after today's events I couldn't be bothered.