• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't really determine the right way to phrase this question, but I'm specifically referring to how we say "this game is coming to *platform*."

For example. "Demon's Souls is coming to the PS5." How will this be called out going forward with the next-gen Xbox's? Will we say "Halo Infinite is coming to Xbox One, Xbox Series S, and Xbox Series X?" or "Halo Infinite is coming to Xbox One and Xbox Series?"

Looks like Wikipedia is calling it out as just "Xbox (fourth generation)."

Rt7fGbp.png

...yeah, it's a slow morning at work, but I'm genuinely curious.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Do you refer to the One/One S and the One X as two different consoles?

If yes, yes.
If no, no.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
i think we need the dust to clear with some comparison videos before we talk about for example
Halo infinite on the XSS, XoX, XO, XSX
XSS - 1440 ray tracing
XO, 1080p no frills
XoX, uh 4k no frills? this one will be weird
XSX, 4k ray tracing etc

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I think "Xbox Series" may win out, ultimately. It's not a hard concept to understand, they're just the same system with two different GPU/RAM configs. Most people can grok "the next Xbox has a fancy high end version and a smaller cheaper version," it's a fairly understandable parallel to iPhone Pro vs. iPhone SE, regular iPad vs. Pro, etc.
Just say Xbox Series X|S, this is how MS is doing.
Finally a use for the bar/backslash key on my keyboard that I almost never use but is still twice the size of all my letters

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty sure MS marketing just wants people to say, coming to Xbox.
You don't say coming to iPhone 11,10,9 etc.
you just say coming to iOS.
That's what they want.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Are we going to say that games are coming to PS5 and PS5 Digital?
Are we going to say that games are coming to the GTX 1060, 1070, 1080, 1080Ti, RTX 2060, 2070, etc?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Logic would suggest that it's the Xbox Series generation but MS uses those optimized for X or S badges where "series" is understated so I have no idea.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
If the market does assume that these are two different consoles then MS has a problem on its hands. Sure, the S is a lot cheaper but the problem could then be it's seen as vastly inferior machine and even with a lower price it's possible that people want the 'proper' thing in the X and not some watered unit in the S.

They should be seen as a single platform with the X, a premium model for the 'serious' gamer, and then the entry level S model, for the more casual gamer who can use it for GamePass.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
It's exactly the same as the current Xbox One S and Xbox One X situation.

WTF is complicated about this?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I will

It's a big leap in power.
But not in a way that actually affects how games would be designed, no moreso than a high end PC game like Flight Simulator X also being able to run on a GTX 1650 or similar mid-end card. That's what most people would think of when discussing if they're "different" consoles or not.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Games are still just coming to Xbox.

It's no different than having the One S and One X on the market.

OP
OP
HououinKyouma

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we going to say that games are coming to PS5 and PS5 Digital?
Are we going to say that games are coming to the GTX 1060, 1070, 1080, 1080Ti, RTX 2060, 2070, etc?
I guess the key difference here is that PS5 and PS5 Digital both fall under "PS5." And then the latter graphics cards are usually summed up as "PC." I'm just wondering if this is Xbox, Xbox Series, etc. (based on the posts so far, it looks like Xbox Series X|S is the popular choice).

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Just say Xbox? What.

We say PlayStation or PS4 for the PS4 Pro and base model.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I say Xbox Series X & S, but I'll probably land on Series X/S.

I refuse to call it just "Xbox". That's only going to happen when Microsoft themselves start doing it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think soon enough we're going to refer to it all as the Xbox platform in vague descriptions like this.

It will just be "Xbox" going forward, after a year or two of becoming accustomed to it. In technical breakdowns (like comparison videos and so on), we still compare Xbox Series S vs. X (And if they introduce a new 'series' in the future), but I think we'll think of the platform similar to how we think about PC software. Like, a game gets released on PC and there's dozens of iterations below that, but the general platform is PC -- WIndows based x86 platforms.

I have noticed some funny plural vs. singular differences. Like, Playground Games had a tweet yesterday that said "Starting NOvember 10 the best console to experience the Horizon Festival is Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S" or something like that. It was using the word "console" in singular, but then mentioning two distinct boxes. So I think that's the direction they're going, but over time we're going to get used to just calling it "Xbox"

I think their intention is to mimic something like how BMW models their car lineup, and even as a non-car head I still know what they mean by it. Like, the BMW 3 series, 5 series, and 7 series are the most common ones in north america (that I know of at least as a casual person). THe 3 is their smaller, sportier looking, not crazy engine or anything. The 5 is the midsized one, more power, more room. The 7 is the luxurious land boat, lots of power, luxury focused. (I could have these wrong, I'm sure a gear head is losing his lunch over how I'm wrong with them). And within those series, you have different versions... like the BMW 3-series sedan vs. wagon, or the 3-series w/ the "M" which indicates the most powerful or fastest one in the 3 series. Casually someone might say, "oh yeah I rented a BMW 3 series..." or "Wow, the rental company gave me a BMW 7 series because they were out of Mercedes C-class..." or something. Which reminds me that Mercedes does something similar... Mercedes C class, E class, etc.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox. Most people I've talked to just say the brand name. Xbox or Playstation. I never hear people say PS4 or Xbox One X outside of text on this forum.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I guess the key difference here is that PS5 and PS5 Digital both fall under "PS5." And then the latter graphics cards are usually summed up as "PC." I'm just wondering if this is Xbox, Xbox Series, etc. (based on the posts so far, it looks like Xbox Series X|S is the popular choice).
Apply the same thought process you used for PS and PC and you've got your answer for Xbox.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As long as all software runs across both then there's no reason to unless we want to talk about performance and IQ differences between the two.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The two consoles get the same games so there's no need to.

We didn't say 'x is coming to the 3DS, the 3DS XL and the 2DS'. You'd generally just say it was coming to the 3DS and everyone knew that the 2DS and the XL could play all 3DS games.

We all know that the Series S can play all Series X games so just say it's coming to Series X.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Calling it "Xbox Series" is silly. The console is just named "Xbox", and "Series X" and "Series S" are model numbers. In three years, there will be a "Series X2" model, but the platform will still just be "Xbox"

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
When referencing the physical systems, yes. When referencing the ecosystem or its library, nope.