• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we ever see the Chrono series on consoles again?

• (PS4/XboxOne/Switch) - Sneaking it under the gate at the end of the generation!

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • (PS5/Xbox Series X/Switch...2?) - Early in next gen

Votes: 34 14.0%
  • Both! So suckers like me will buy it twice!

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Lost to time forever...

Votes: 170 70.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 5.3%

• Total voters

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
There was an interview awhile back of someone at Square, and they basically said that while Chrono Trigger was a critical success, it was never the commercial success that final fantasy vii and the FF series in general is/was. I don't think Square will ever remake the game and even if it did, would be at a very conservative budget.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
There was an interview awhile back of someone at Square, and they basically said that while Chrono Trigger was a critical success, it was never the commercial success that final fantasy vii and the FF series in general is/was. I don't think Square will ever remake the game and even if it did, would be at a very conservative budget.

This is simply untrue. The only "versions" that might MIGHT not have sold gangbusters are the Wii VC console release and the steam port, not sure on numbers there. CT SNES, CT PS1, CC PS1 and CT DS all sold extremely well. Is it FF numbers? No. Is it better than stuff like Front Mission, Mana and Star Ocean? For sure. SE is scared to do anything with it. A lot of SE devs view it as a sacred cow and a lot of the original team and magic isn't there right now so it's a hard sell from a creative stand point. A lot needs to come together to make it a worthy successor.

I would think that even if a new game was not very good it would still sell decent from the die hards, the nostalgia and the music lovers alone.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We might get a port of the Steam version to Switch, but we're never getting a new Chrono game.

Chrono was lightning in a bottle made by a dream team for one specific moment. You can't take any of them out and replicate what made it work.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Of it happens then it happens. Who at Square, among the old guard, is even pushing for the games rerelease at this point? Don't know if the PC and mobile sales justify it.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Square just doesn't really seem to care too much about the series anymore. I still find it odd that they are giving so much focus on Secret of Mana in the past few years(Secret of Mana on the snes classic with CT nowhere to be found, Secret of Mana Remake, Mana collection, Trials of Mana). I dont get why SOM specifically gets so much attention over CT.
If you made a Chrono remake or sequel with the budget of Trials of Mana, people would flip their shit and boycott it at the first trailer.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it will happen, but not anytime soon. The earliest it could would be on Trigger's 30th anniversary.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
you could certainly hope for CT on Switch's SNES online, eventually

though from what i can see, Square hasn't allowed a single game of theirs on there

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Am playing CT now for the first time. So far the exploration and combat are way ahead of its time

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
It's insane, because Chrono could have been an amazing IP since Chrono Trigger is one of the best-loved JRPGs of all time. But it doesn't seem like it'll come back.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why the Chrono series never took off. CT is always highly regarded one of the greatest games ever made. Yet we always get FF, DQ and Mana games.

Chrono needs a third game that is closer to the original rather than Cross.
I love Cross but I completely agree. Cross went too dark and convoluted, and it single handedly made the lore a complete mess.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
70% of folks think we'll never see another port of this? That seems bonkers. Of course we will.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I never played either so I would really like a port for PS4/Switch. I feel like both games are classics that I missed out on and I hope to experience them some day.

DoctorDave

Nov 6, 2019
I voted no. It is sad, kind of in a romantic/melancholic way. Maybe it's better this way, considering the unlikely probability that they make a sequel that satisfies the fans. It also makes the existing games more special, in a way.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question: What is Crono without the whole gang back together?

Kato did his own thing with Chrono Cross, but it wasn't Chrono, it was its own thing.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would gladly take a remake of the first one in the Trials of Mana engine, doesn't need to be a huge AAA reinvention.

I mean, we got Trials of Mana, which was an obscure Japan only release before the remake.

I'm interested in this too. They're never going to give it the attention or resources of Final Fantasy...but a smaller scale remake wouldn't offend me, even as my favorite game of all-time.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I think they never did anything with it because a game with a budget like Trials of Mana wouldn't be enough for the pedigree of a series that begun with what's arguably the best JRPG in the history of gaming but also can't seem to bring themselves to give an AAA budget to a new entry.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
So much time has passed I really can't see a new one happening. Honestly nor should it at this point.

Theres been enough versions of CT over time but I'd love to see CC get another chance. Cause that was the game I preferred anyway.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I still think they'll probably port the Steam version to Switch and sell it with the usual Square markup for, like, $24.99.

They could charge twice that and I'd buy it minute one

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Chrono Trigger is, hands down, one of my favorite games off all time, if not my favorite game of all time (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is another that battles for top spot).

With that said, I don't think it's a sacred cow that deserves to only have two entries. I loved Chrono Cross as well, even if I prefer Trigger. I feel like, if there is a quality story to be told in that universe (which has infinite possibilities), then the story should be told. Does it need the original creators of Chrono Trigger to accomplish that? No. There are some amazingly talented developers out there, many of which probably grew up playing the original 2 entries in the series. There is, in my mind, no reason why a talented dream team of designers couldn't come up with an amazing game set in the Chrono universe.

I'm 40 years old, but I'm not beholden to the feelings and memories of the past. I will always, always, have a fond love and nostalgia for the first time I popped Chrono Trigger into my SNES, or Chrono Cross into my PS1. I'm not looking to relive that moment, but I'm 100% open to the idea of a young, fresh, talented team revisiting that world and telling a cool, endearing story. I hold no reservations that it'd never recapture that feeling of 16 year old me playing CT for the first time (which also had the impact of being the first real JRPG I ever played, and is the reason why I became a fan of the genre in the first place). But I want good games, and the CT universe is rife with potential for good games and stories. The combat system is still one of the best in the industry for JRPGs, and growing and iterating on that system isn't a bad thing, especially with modern game design sensibilities and philosophies.

The thing that a new Chrono game would absolutely have to have to be worthy of its existence is support, time, and a truly talented team behind it. As I said before, we have quite a number of talented developers around the world that would no doubt crush it if given the opportunity to delve into the CT world. Then, it'd be up to the gamers to not be so beholden to the past, and the "dream team" of the original Chrono Trigger. I'm not a sports person, so forgive the poor analogy, but it'd be like dismissing the Olympic Dream Teams that came after 1992, because the Dream Team of 1992 was so stacked full of remarkable basketball players. They were no doubt the best of the best of the field back in 1992, but players just as talented and capable came after them, and there will be players more talented than that after.

Game design, and quality game design, isn't locked to a particular generation of designers. Each year, talented creators are finding their voice, skill, and expertise in the field , and I'd personally be excited to see what a 2020 dream team of designers could do with a quality IP like Chrono. The combination of technological advancement since 1995, and the maturation of game design philosophy in the 25 years since Chrono Trigger's release could lead to a rather spectacular return of the series. I think about not just visual representation (I'd personally love a return to Toriyama's style, but realized in full 3D; like Dragon Quest XI, for example), and the improvement of things like SSD speeds, rendering pipelines, AI advancements, etc, etc. You could craft an incredibly dynamic world, and with talented scenario writers and game designers... man. It could be something else.

But that's up to Square-Enix, and they don't seem to have an interest in revisiting the IP, which is a real shame. Back in '95, I imagined that the Chrono series would become something like Final Fantasy; long-running, with each game introducing us to a new cast of characters, timelines, and scenarios. It's a shame we never got that, and that seemingly Square had no faith in the teams under their charge to carry that torch forward after Chrono Cross (a rather fantastic game in its own right, even though it was different from Trigger).